Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 472056 times)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #6080 on: August 26, 2022, 09:14:57 am »
We have  three here. Not one has the issues you’ve mentioned.  It was literally a security fix for Safari.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6081 on: August 26, 2022, 10:28:17 am »
We have  three here. Not one has the issues you’ve mentioned.  It was literally a security fix for Safari.

Two colleagues in work experiencing random reboots and freezes.

Checked my work Macbook Pro. Same. Checked my Macbook Pro. Same. Checked my mini Mac. Same.

Might see if there are any more updates.

Work Mac keeps freezing/being weird with the logitech mouse.

Do you use VS Code/Docker/Kubernetes and the like?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6082 on: August 26, 2022, 10:36:40 am »
Which is just a security update, it changed nothing bar a few vulnerabilities in Safari.  It changed nothing regarding the OS, if it worked before it will work now.

Not sure where you got that from either

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213413

macOS Monterey 12.5.1

Released August 17, 2022

Kernel

Available for: macOS Monterey

Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

Description: An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking.

CVE-2022-32894: an anonymous researcher

WebKit

Available for: macOS Monterey

Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

Description: An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking.

WebKit Bugzilla: 243557
CVE-2022-32893: an anonymous researcher

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6083 on: August 27, 2022, 11:07:20 pm »
I use VS Code on both of mine and haven't seen any issues, intel iMac and M1 air. I did have some mad shit with a magic trackpad refusing to reconnect after waking the iMac which done my nut in for a week but think 12.5.1 sorted that as haven't had it since, thankfully no freezes or reboots. Wonder if there's some bluetooth changes.

I've seen what you've described on some articles so has been reported, hopefully there'll be an update sharpish.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6084 on: August 28, 2022, 11:35:54 am »
I use VS Code on both of mine and haven't seen any issues, intel iMac and M1 air. I did have some mad shit with a magic trackpad refusing to reconnect after waking the iMac which done my nut in for a week but think 12.5.1 sorted that as haven't had it since, thankfully no freezes or reboots. Wonder if there's some bluetooth changes.

I've seen what you've described on some articles so has been reported, hopefully there'll be an update sharpish.

Nice one

I have to admit that as a joined up developer experience, the Mac and Mini Mac are really good in general.

I've got my windows machines and Linux boxes, but it's great to have it all in one place.

I'm sure it'll just be temporary and back to normal soon.

After the first couple of random reboots, that seems to have stopped now.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6085 on: August 28, 2022, 05:04:04 pm »
Do you not not test patches on non production machines first? Or is that just something us Windows people never been conditioned to do?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6086 on: August 28, 2022, 09:04:33 pm »
Do you not not test patches on non production machines first? Or is that just something us Windows people never been conditioned to do?

These aren't production machines, they are laptops

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6087 on: August 28, 2022, 11:16:08 pm »
These aren't production machines, they are laptops
If you are doing daily dev work, that's loss of production in my eyes.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6088 on: August 29, 2022, 11:11:01 pm »
The releases are usually so reliable I run betas on my main machine I use for work!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6089 on: August 30, 2022, 11:58:00 am »
If you are doing daily dev work, that's loss of production in my eyes.

That's not what Production machines means.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6090 on: August 30, 2022, 10:03:22 pm »
That's not what Production machines means.

I know. But I'd treat a machine that costs me money for being offline in a similar way to a production machine.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6091 on: August 30, 2022, 10:32:39 pm »
I know. But I'd treat a machine that costs me money for being offline in a similar way to a production machine.

It doesn't. It's just annoying.

Machines that break and cause customers issues or lose data or lose business cost you money.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6092 on: September 2, 2022, 10:32:32 am »
Macs are hilariously slow though

Did have steam installed on my i9 and it can't run anything - even my laptops from 10 years ago have no issues, but it's incapable of running pretty much anything at pretty much any resolution.

Impressive OS and you'd think and i9 and the latest Mac would be shit hot and massively fast.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6093 on: September 2, 2022, 05:51:51 pm »
Oh look they're slow at something no-one buys them to do, turn it in ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6094 on: September 3, 2022, 12:22:00 am »
Oh look they're slow at something no-one buys them to do, turn it in ;D

They are very slow at some stuff. Games they are ridiculous. I got the i9 because I thought that would give it a bit of pep.

It's absolutely fine running dev stuff and all the Appley-desktoppy stuff, which is all I got it for, so not really fussed :)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6095 on: September 3, 2022, 09:07:27 am »
For music, I have a mac and and high spec PC.  The PC is ridiculously powerful (operating as a slave to the mac) but it often feels like it needs to be wined and dined to do things.  There are certainly more quirks and crashes. Macs certainly aren't problem free, but in my experience, it's rare.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:34:01 am by thejbs »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6096 on: November 7, 2022, 08:20:32 pm »
What do people think of Stage Manager then ?  I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure the execution is quite there.  I never plug my Mac into a monitor so perhaps I'm not really getting the benefit.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6097 on: November 11, 2022, 01:15:25 pm »
What do people think of Stage Manager then ?  I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure the execution is quite there.  I never plug my Mac into a monitor so perhaps I'm not really getting the benefit.

Seems pretty good. Macs are terrible at multi-screens - I've got four remote monitors on mine (Via a Plugable) and even though it re-opens them, it always gets them wrong and I have to move all of them to the right place every time I reboot. The plugable actually has two graphic cards built into it - which is how it achieves its magic. If I wanted, I could use another two monitors as well as I have another plugable on my personal Macbook Pro.

For Windows, I use DisplayFusionPro which is an incredible piece of software.

I have my Main PC running on up to 7 remote monitors with no issues (And two of those are vertical and dual-displays (via the software) - so in effect, 9 monitors.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6098 on: November 11, 2022, 01:24:05 pm »
Seems pretty good. Macs are terrible at multi-screens - I've got four remote monitors on mine (Via a Plugable) and even though it re-opens them, it always gets them wrong and I have to move all of them to the right place every time I reboot. The plugable actually has two graphic cards built into it - which is how it achieves its magic. If I wanted, I could use another two monitors as well as I have another plugable on my personal Macbook Pro.

For Windows, I use DisplayFusionPro which is an incredible piece of software.

I have my Main PC running on up to 7 remote monitors with no issues (And two of those are vertical and dual-displays (via the software) - so in effect, 9 monitors.

Andy's workstation........?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6099 on: November 11, 2022, 05:22:30 pm »

Pah, my setup is better than that :P

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6100 on: November 11, 2022, 06:01:15 pm »
I was on an online meeting on Wednesday… I had a document open on my iPad next to my laptop….

It turned itself into a multi screen..

I did nothing ….incredible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6101 on: November 11, 2022, 06:47:11 pm »
I did nothing incredible
Story of your life, Andy? ;)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6102 on: November 11, 2022, 07:35:31 pm »
Sorry everyone.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6103 on: November 11, 2022, 08:06:32 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6104 on: November 11, 2022, 08:13:56 pm »

Only if every screen is a different RAWK thread with a poll.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6105 on: November 11, 2022, 11:33:43 pm »
I was on an online meeting on Wednesday… I had a document open on my iPad next to my laptop….

It turned itself into a multi screen..

I did nothing ….incredible

universal control, one of my fave features in years. I used to use sidecar but then I'd get my brain all in a tizz over not then being able to use touch.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6106 on: November 12, 2022, 09:53:07 am »
Story of your life, Andy? ;)

It's my motto :)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6107 on: November 18, 2022, 11:55:04 am »
I’m loving using Mac OS … it’s so smooth and easy to use.

At work I didn’t mind windows 10, it was quite intuitive too although a less good experience .  However someone has ‘upgraded ‘my office PC to windows 11. And it is a fucking shite user experience
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:58:56 am by TepidT2O »
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6108 on: November 18, 2022, 11:56:22 am »
I’m loving using Mac OS … it’s so smooth and eat to use.
How's that keyboard working for you? Eaty does it now...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6109 on: November 18, 2022, 11:59:49 am »
How's that keyboard working for you? Eaty does it now...
Phone issues!!!

I did spot it, but you eagle eyes beat me to it ;D
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6110 on: November 18, 2022, 12:02:44 pm »
Phone issues!!!

I did spot it, but you eagle eyes beat me to it ;D
"your" ;D :wave - now, about that post I just made in RAWK Entrepreneurs..... ;)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6111 on: November 18, 2022, 12:05:05 pm »
"your" ;D :wave - now, about that post I just made in RAWK Entrepreneurs..... ;)
“You, eagle eyes “. I think is what I meant! ;D
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6112 on: November 18, 2022, 12:26:23 pm »
...in which case you'd need at least one more comma :)

They have them on the mac keyboards, just to the right of the 'M' key :wave

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6113 on: November 18, 2022, 12:45:24 pm »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6114 on: November 20, 2022, 07:25:52 am »
I've not noticed much difference in Windows 11. Moving the right click copy paste was annoying the first half dozen times.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6115 on: December 9, 2022, 06:46:06 am »
Macbook Pro (mine, not works) started charging/not charging/charging/not charging and kept running out of battery.

Battery status: Healthy. Checked the cable and plug with a couple of spare ones. Both fine.

Went through all the software/OS Solutions. Nowt. Still bust.

Read on a forum that it can be that the battery is unseated and advised that I put it on the floor and 'gently tap it' against the carpeted floor. Instead, put it sideways on the mouse mat and turned it around to all four edges and thumped it about a bit.

Fixed :)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6116 on: January 13, 2023, 08:22:45 pm »
Anyone else have issues with Safari? Certain websites images will just not load up for me, especially the official LFC site, i've cleared history, cache and made sure that i haven't got disabled images checked on in the developer menu , any ideas what could be wrong?

Example below....

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #6117 on: January 13, 2023, 11:53:25 pm »
Anyone else have issues with Safari? Certain websites images will just not load up for me, especially the official LFC site, i've cleared history, cache and made sure that i haven't got disabled images checked on in the developer menu , any ideas what could be wrong?

Example below....

Do you use a VPN? Not sure if it’s that but I had similar issues in my iPhone and eventually worked out that it was Nord.  Paused the VPN and seemed to be ok. A bit frustrating. Amazon also doesn’t like Nord so have to pause it for that too
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6118 on: January 14, 2023, 07:22:32 pm »
Do you use a VPN? Not sure if it’s that but I had similar issues in my iPhone and eventually worked out that it was Nord.  Paused the VPN and seemed to be ok. A bit frustrating. Amazon also doesn’t like Nord so have to pause it for that too

I don't use a VPN, its such a strange bug, google search results don't show much

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6119 on: January 15, 2023, 09:22:17 am »
I've noticed a few weird quirks on the latest Safari, I haven't come across images not loading but I have noticed the scrolling becoming really choppy on certain sites.  Are you still having the same issue using a different browser ?  My main browser is Firefox and I haven't encountered a single issue.