Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219613 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #600 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:37 pm »
Couldn't find the Rangers thread but they play a Europa League qualifier tomorrow night which is being shown on BT. 

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: July 11, 2018, 10:16:08 pm »
Couldn't find the Rangers thread but they play a Europa League qualifier tomorrow night which is being shown on BT. 

Cheers, i'll watch this

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: July 27, 2018, 09:42:40 am »
Cracking win and away goal for Rangers in the Europa second round first leg last night.

Some really dangerous sides still left in qualifying though I'm sure Stevie will want to avoid.

Offline Big Swifty

• Main Stander
« Reply #603 on: August 3, 2018, 03:27:27 pm »
They're all pretty much in love with him over on their forums - it's kind of sweet. Seems to have been a while since they had anyone who spoke and acted remotely credibly, which he is doing up there. Early days to put it mildly on the footballing front though. Hope he does well, for various reasons.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: August 4, 2018, 12:31:59 pm »
They don't rate Ejaria or Kent though  ;D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #605 on: August 4, 2018, 01:52:10 pm »

Beggars can't be choosers.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #606 on: August 9, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #607 on: August 9, 2018, 06:32:30 pm »

They are both an upgrade on some of the dross they have though.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: August 9, 2018, 07:45:49 pm »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Online Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: August 29, 2018, 02:54:59 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: September 9, 2018, 12:33:39 pm »
Speaking to RMC Sport, Djibril Cissé talks about one of the most momentous moments of his career: Steven Gerrard’s speech at half-time in the Champions’ League final.

“I will never forget Steven Gerrard’s team-talk at half-time during the 2005 Champions’ League final. Benitez comes into the dressing room, he does his coach speech, that we must not give up and that we need to score quickly. Steven gets up and asks all the coaching staff to leave the dressing room, because he wanted to be alone with just the players. All the staff left, even the physios who were giving treatment to the players.”

“Stevie gets up and says that Liverpool is all he has, it is his club, all he has ever known and he does not want to be the laughing stock of the history of the Champions’ League. He says that if we respect him and love him as a captain, then we need to dust ourselves off and get back in the match. He scores the first goal, he gets the penalty. He has an extraordinary second half, finishing the game as a right-back. He has a crazy match – but that half-time speech will remain imprinted in my mind forever.”

Great words from Cisse, who is still playing at 37. Gerrard really was an inspiration to his team!
« Last Edit: September 9, 2018, 12:36:50 pm by sms1986 »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #611 on: October 30, 2018, 06:39:01 pm »

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: November 11, 2018, 07:33:09 am »

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #614 on: November 11, 2018, 06:10:31 pm »
looking forward to this!

It's a shame that it's on Amazon prime

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!

Online groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: November 16, 2018, 10:29:22 am »
Rooney did an interview yesterday where he named Stevie as the best English player he ever played alongside. I always thought Gerrard's contribution to England was vastly underrated. Yeah, he had a couple of stinkers in tournaments but generally he so often looked England's best player.

Bit like Sterling now actually. Whenever I watch England, it often looks like Sterling is clearly the player playing at the highest level. Yet he doesn't get credit at all.

England games are still quite tribal. Not as bad as they used to be, but still a bit.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #617 on: November 16, 2018, 03:03:59 pm »
Rooney did an interview yesterday where he named Stevie as the best English player he ever played alongside. I always thought Gerrard's contribution to England was vastly underrated. Yeah, he had a couple of stinkers in tournaments but generally he so often looked England's best player.

Bit like Sterling now actually. Whenever I watch England, it often looks like Sterling is clearly the player playing at the highest level. Yet he doesn't get credit at all.

England games are still quite tribal. Not as bad as they used to be, but still a bit.
He scored some absolutely brilliant goals for England too. I watched a compilation of them on YouTube and there were so many great ones I'd forgotten.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: November 23, 2018, 03:38:11 pm »
The 'Make Us Dream' documentary is now available to watch on Amazon Prime, by the way.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: November 25, 2018, 04:56:06 pm »
The 'Make Us Dream' documentary is now available to watch on Amazon Prime, by the way.

Watched it earlier. It's an absolute cracker
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2018, 05:51:35 pm »
Watched it earlier. It's an absolute cracker

Same here, watched it last night is brilliant. Makes you fully realise just how much pressure he was under for such a young fella

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #621 on: November 25, 2018, 06:56:14 pm »
Really wish it was available to buy.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #622 on: November 25, 2018, 10:45:28 pm »
Really wish it was available to buy.

It's free with Amazon Prime at the moment. I'm sure it will go on sale at some point.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: November 25, 2018, 10:54:06 pm »
Same here, watched it last night is brilliant. Makes you fully realise just how much pressure he was under for such a young fella

Yup. And his personal characteristics meant he dealt with that in his own way. He grew at a time where the scrutiny and microcosm around footballers in this country exploded. I can't think of anyone else who's had to deal with that. Maybe Beckham but that was a different kind of spot light.

I.hope the next scouser that comes through our ranks doesn't get the same weight of expectation. Trent is probably the closest

I had another look at the league table from 13-14, probably for the first time since that season. Fucking hell how painful
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: November 26, 2018, 01:39:31 pm »
Just finished it, incredible documentary and I feel more films like this should be made highlighting the pressure these lads are under. Its the reason I find it hard to be overly critical when things go wrong for them or they are underperforming, there are so many factors that play into every single game they play, let alone seasons.

May be on my own here but up until now I never knew the full extent of that groin injury, it was obvious it was bad but I never realised just how bad. Its terrifying seeing that and reading about Agger previously just how far these lads will go to push themselves to bring happiness to fans. That kind of thing strikes me as something that could cause severe health concerns later in life but people don't see that at the time, the full focus is the team winning and the player contributing.

Going a bit deeper here but it saddens me to think many people walk around depressed and some of the smallest things can trigger them to spiral into an ever deeper feeling of that and yet some of these players will feel the same things and have 10s of thousands of people watching them at once and free to boo, harrass or berate them if they don't live up to huge expectations, that's got to be an incredibly lonely position to be in. Its a shame some see the pay and try to minimalise these players problems and feelings as if any amount of money could possibly make any of it better

That films given me even more respect for Stevie and all he did and gave while he was here, what a fucking player and he's given me memories that will live with me forever. He's had as many critics as any player i can remember kicking a ball but no one can deny how incredible of a player he was

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #625 on: November 26, 2018, 02:10:27 pm »
I watched the film at the weekend. As others have said, it did provide a real insight into the pressure that Stevie was under throughout his career. I also didn`t realise quite how bad some of his injury problems were and what he was putting his body through during the title challenge a few years ago. It did also highlight what many of us already knew i.e. that he is the sort of character that needs an arm around the shoulder occasionally. His relationship with Rafa certainly was strained due to a perceived lack of warmth and support from Rafa. His Dad certainly helped keep him grounded. Those clips from his really young days were great as well - you could see instantly which kid he was just by his running style and the way he finished.

The ending was great. Yes, he does have unfinished business and I know that if he really shows himself to be a good manager then I would have him back in the managers chair in a heartbeat when Klopp has finished the job he has started out to do. He will rightly be remembered as a legend of the club as a player. Perhaps one day he will be remembered for more than that as well.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #627 on: November 27, 2018, 02:22:32 pm »
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xsdmo

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xu7qp
Loved it, he is so humble got me upset we didn’t win it for the skipper. Were those voice clips real? You can say a player is declining but a lot of those must have been prank calls. Gerrard was always elite at every stage of his career. SG was my hero he never went to the plastics think if Real came knocking he would have went.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:25:20 pm by GucciMane »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: November 27, 2018, 02:24:08 pm »
Loved it, he is so humble got me upset we didn’t win it for the skipper. Were those voice clips real? You can say a player is declining but a lot of those must have been prank calls. Gerrard was always elite at every stage of his career. Love Stevie he never went to the plastics think if Real came knocking he would have went.

Real did come knocking. Probably numerous times. Mourinho is on record saying that he tried to sign him when he was there.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #630 on: November 27, 2018, 04:59:58 pm »
Real did come knocking. Probably numerous times. Mourinho is on record saying that he tried to sign him when he was there.
Mourinho Real was pointless they never won anything. I’m talking Galacticos around the time Owen went there or after the CL win. There’s probably been many bids from all over but Respect to Stevie for not going and being a bit part of somewhere else’s history and be a large chapter of ours. Despite what people say he has won a lot more than certain PL legends.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: November 27, 2018, 06:56:02 pm »
I think this was a really good film and actually quite a tough watch for Liverpool fans. He had a magnificent career and even without the 13/14 season it wouldve been cruel to see him hang up his boots without a league title. That it happened the way it did, right in his final hurrah too, remains utterly sickening.  It still hurts to think about it and it obviously still hurts him too.

Although it never said it in so many words it's obvious that his dream is to come back to Liverpool and win the league as a manager and I pray it happens. Say what you like about the Rafa segments or how Alonso is bound to make a better coach, it was Stevie that carried this club on his shoulders for over a decade. His eyes were turned but his heart never was and for everything he did for us I will always love him to absolute bits and wish him all the best in his goals. I'd bawl my eyes out that first time he sat in the managers seat at Anfield, should it ever happen. 

If there's one criticism I'd make of the film, I felt it could've gone into even deeper depth about him as a person. It got across how much pressure he was under but what did he do after leaving the Atatürk? When he got back home after the Chelsea game? What was the moment he realised it was time to go? I felt it was a very good biography of his playing career but, given the past work of those producers, I thought we mightve had a better look at Stevie as a person.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: November 28, 2018, 01:14:28 am »
It really is stupid that different owners, CEOs and coaches didn’t manage to get a few more quality players around Gerrard for most of his career. He was a freak talent and a freak mentally, and would have won enormous amounts.

I am also wondering whether the epidural he apparently took before the infamous Chelsea performance—and the fact that he was on the pitch at all—was a mistake? Well I guess it’s over now...

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #633 on: November 28, 2018, 01:30:32 am »
It really is stupid that different owners, CEOs and coaches didn’t manage to get a few more quality players around Gerrard for most of his career. He was a freak talent and a freak mentally, and would have won enormous amounts.

I am also wondering whether the epidural he apparently took before the infamous Chelsea performance—and the fact that he was on the pitch at all—was a mistake? Well I guess it’s over now...
Yeah I felt like he made the point that he shouldn’t have played for sure. Was it Stevie insisting or BR? Is the real question. But hindsight is funny.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #634 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:27 am »
Yeah I felt like he made the point that he shouldn’t have played for sure. Was it Stevie insisting or BR? Is the real question. But hindsight is funny.

I'm a few months older than Gerrard. I grew up as he grew up and watched him drag us through countless games. None more so than in the Ataturk on May 25th.

But to suggest that Rodgers could possibly insist Gerrard played when... Ahem.. Gerrard didn't want to is not only laughable, but obviously absolute cow dung

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #635 on: November 29, 2018, 02:35:00 am »
I'm a few months older than Gerrard. I grew up as he grew up and watched him drag us through countless games. None more so than in the Ataturk on May 25th.

But to suggest that Rodgers could possibly insist Gerrard played when... Ahem.. Gerrard didn't want to is not only laughable, but obviously absolute cow dung
That must have been amazing ;D

Fair enough fella guess he should have followed his gut instead of his heart. He did say he was on all types of injections don’t remember exactly but might even have been a doubt for Chelsea game?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #636 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:01 am »
That must have been amazing ;D

Fair enough fella guess he should have followed his gut instead of his heart. He did say he was on all types of injections don’t remember exactly but might even have been a doubt for Chelsea game?

I don't remember talk of him missing that game. But I'd have loved to hear a conversation between Rodgers and Gerrard where he tries to tell Stevie he isn't playing.

He scared me to death in that interview for Rangers.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #637 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:08 pm »
Made his debut 20 years ago today. Blimey, that makes me feel old.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #638 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:39 pm »
Made his debut 20 years ago today. Blimey, that makes me feel old.

You are old!
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #639 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:56 pm »
You are old!

That’ll be why then!