Author Topic: Paris  (Read 183634 times)

Offline TeddyTime33

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA, Chester via Newtownards
Re: Paris
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2022, 02:14:41 pm »
can I just add that our group were split over 2 hotels in different areas.

We had nothing but apologies from the people who worked in the hotels and owners of nearby restaurants etc. The response in the morning was well received. It would be a shame if people didn't go back to this city because of what happened to us.
they can apologize 100 times over and over I won't be back

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2022, 02:14:42 pm »
can I just add that our group were split over 2 hotels in different areas.

We had nothing but apologies from the people who worked in the hotels and owners of nearby restaurants etc. The response in the morning was well received. It would be a shame if people didn't go back to this city because of what happened to us.

I’d agree with this.

Everyone stating Paris is a shithole - it isn’t, I wasn’t there at the weekend but I have been recently and actual central Paris is absolutely fine, it’s the surrounding areas which are a shithole.

That said, if I’d experienced what so many did on Saturday I can’t say I’d be in a rush to return, whether that’s a logical or fair approach or not.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2022, 02:15:05 pm »
The only plausible explanation for it is that UEFA have had enough of British clubs dominating Europe and fancy a lengthy ban to even up the playing fields.

I’m not saying that’s what happened, I’d like to think it was down to incompetence (which is still fucking awful considering what could have happened) but at least better than it being deliberate, but if it was intentional, then I can’t see past that being the intent.

I actually think it was intentional.

How can the treatment of two sets of football fans be so different........?

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2022, 02:16:54 pm »
It is.

What's the agenda though? Am I missing something here?

Surely the the French authorities, UEFA, all concerned with the City of Paris itself etc would have benefited from a well organized event that passed off well and reflected well on them?

Thing is, it actually looks like there were deliberate attempts to sabotage the entire event by those hosting it. Why? I just don't get it. What am I missing?
I felt immediately on Saturday evening that something just wasn't right.
What's the agenda? I'm not sure.... Liverpool FC becoming too strong. Oil money in Paris. Club set up, and inconvenienced in every way? - fans, pitch, team bus etc
Liverpool being punished for being anti establishment? Recent criticism of the Tory party and the booing of the anthem? I know it was in France, but....
I'm having to stop myself, but I believe this may have been staged..

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2022, 02:17:18 pm »

Could quite easily be down to nationalities, English supporters acting like absolute animals at Euro 2016 won’t have helped. Obviously that’s no justification for treating our fans like that (or any fans) but it may explain it.

Offline TeddyTime33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2022, 02:18:52 pm »

Madrid fans had similar problems on a smaller scale but the riot police at the end was a clear establishment photo opportunity that it was Liverpool fans to blame

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2022, 02:19:29 pm »
Could quite easily be down to nationalities, English supporters acting like absolute animals at Euro 2016 won’t have helped. Obviously that’s no justification for treating our fans like that (or any fans) but it may explain it.

The police were looking for trouble, we know that much.

Security failures around the stadium possibly complacency/lack of proper planning as Paris were only given the final at late notice due to the war in Ukraine. The FA/authorities messed up enough over Wembley at the Euros final, so perhaps a legacy of the pandemic that crowd control measures are too rusty and not thought through.

Cover up is all about saving face as we know only too well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:22:35 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TeddyTime33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2022, 02:20:53 pm »
I was sad, upset and distressed on Saturday now I'm absolutely seething after seeing that response from the French government

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2022, 02:21:12 pm »
The only plausible explanation for it is that UEFA have had enough of British clubs dominating Europe and fancy a lengthy ban to even up the playing fields.

I’m not saying that’s what happened, I’d like to think it was down to incompetence (which is still fucking awful considering what could have happened) but at least better than it being deliberate, but if it was intentional, then I can’t see past that being the intent.
::)
I have visions of UEFA officials sat in luxery hospitality suites in the ground being pampered. same people sat on their arses asking why the games delayed rather than intervening to see for themselves. same people reacting in the same pridictable way. supporting a cover up by blaming others to deflect blame from themselves to cover up there own lazy corrupt incompetence. 
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2022, 02:21:24 pm »
Lack of time to plan properly is a rubbish excuse.  Just look at our own city yesterday with an estimated 500,000 on the streets, all managed fine.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2022, 02:23:06 pm »
By ticketless fans do they mean at the stadium or the city?
Obviously lots were in the city.
Need to be careful with how that’s worded as very different outcomes and scenarios.

You can’t have 20k (or whatever number they are saying) just randomly standing around at the stadium.
Either the thousands got in, or were chucked out.
So either in or out.
But it’s neither is it.

As someone else said. How was it so bad. They had nothing to gain from it being a balls up.

That walk back to the metro will stay with me for a long time.
Glad I got out early but not too early to be at the front.
All the police there in all the wrong places.

I’m just so confused by it all. Apparently we played a football game as well at some point.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2022, 02:23:44 pm »
I felt immediately on Saturday evening that something just wasn't right.
What's the agenda? I'm not sure.... Liverpool FC becoming too strong. Oil money in Paris. Club set up, and inconvenienced in every way? - fans, pitch, team bus etc
Liverpool being punished for being anti establishment? Recent criticism of the Tory party and the booing of the anthem? I know it was in France, but....
I'm having to stop myself, but I believe this may have been staged..
Not to mention the completely bizarre TV footage. I'm not watching the game back, but it may as well have been real Madrid TV.
I'm now actually remembering that we were shown more footage of Marcelo during the entire game, than Klopp!!!
What's going on here?
Would also like to hear what the thiago issue was... information to him, with the purpose of unsettling him?

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #212 on: May 30, 2022, 02:24:26 pm »
Paris is a shit hole.

French police are twats.

UEFA is a corrupt organisation that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

The French sports minister knows they fucked up and is desperately trying to push the blame elsewhere, or their handling of the event was premeditated and they wanted this to happen to a team from England.

What I don't understand is if the security staff/police saw all of these 'fake' tickets then where are those tickets now?  Surely if anyone is found out for having a fake ticket then the ticket is confiscated when they're checked by staff?  You wouldn't tell that fan to go away and leave them with the ticket as they would then just go and try in another queue.

Another thing that I'm not sure on, were mardrid fans also funneled through a space only big enough for one person at a time?  Plus how many turnstiles did they have open?  Hopefully this information is out there somewhere.

Offline nycjon

• Kemlynite
« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2022, 02:24:32 pm »
I don't think it was intentional I think it was incompetence. Seems to me they sold the security off to lowest bidder. People at checkpoint overwhelmed with equipment that didn't function properly. Then once check point is not functioning the local gangs get in and around the stadium causing issues, overwhelming people at the gate who then shut the gates making the situation worse. Then riot police come in and start tear gassing.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2022, 02:24:59 pm »
Lack of time to plan properly is a rubbish excuse.  Just look at our own city yesterday with an estimated 500,000 on the streets, all managed fine.

Of course it's a shit excuse but these events (even our parade) are organised a long time in advance. CL finals are usually awarded 2-3 years before they take place rather than 2-3 months. If you look at the security operation for Euro 2016 final compared to Saturday it's night and day. There was massive complacency/lack of planning.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2022, 02:27:11 pm »
Not to mention the completely bizarre TV footage. I'm not watching the game back, but it may as well have been real Madrid TV.
I'm now actually remembering that we were shown more footage of Marcelo during the entire game, than Klopp!!!
What's going on here?
Would also like to hear what the thiago issue was... information to him, with the purpose of unsettling him?

They had a real fetish for the Madrid VIPs  :puke2

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2022, 02:29:08 pm »
Just came across this video on twitter. It's from the French Cup final in the Stade de France a few weeks back. Seemed there was big problems outside the stadium with people struggling to get in

https://twitter.com/ojbsports/status/1523023041227530240

Bloody Liverpool fans though!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2022, 02:31:33 pm »
@MiguelDelaney
1h
The major cause on Sat was French authorities failure to adapt to a strike, which meant a main train station closed. So, rather than 16 corridors open for LFC fans, only four were. It created a huge bottleneck hours before, with everything coming from that

This helps explain why the French government are now lying through their teeth.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2022, 02:31:53 pm »

The bloke from Sky has just said he was sprayed at the Madrid end. Some of their fans were also late into the ground. RM fans have said they had locals bunking into the ground and that they were also attacked afterwards. This is something that’s happened to both sets of fans and more Spanish fans are coming out and saying that now. It’s why both clubs should tackle this together so they have more power.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2022, 02:32:11 pm »
they are loving a victim blame in all this. The club now at fault for what - not somehow supplying a few hundred busses in a city the size of Paris? It was Klopp at fault a bit ago for telling LFC fans to go to Paris.

Never mind that the authorities completely failed to account for the RER strike which closed the major station close to the ground.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2022, 02:33:47 pm »
I don't think it was intentional I think it was incompetence. Seems to me they sold the security off to lowest bidder. People at checkpoint overwhelmed with equipment that didn't function properly. Then once check point is not functioning the local gangs get in and around the stadium causing issues, overwhelming people at the gate who then shut the gates making the situation worse. Then riot police come in and start tear gassing.

This

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2022, 02:34:12 pm »
I’d agree with this.

Everyone stating Paris is a shithole - it isn’t, I wasn’t there at the weekend but I have been recently and actual central Paris is absolutely fine, it’s the surrounding areas which are a shithole.

That said, if I’d experienced what so many did on Saturday I can’t say I’d be in a rush to return, whether that’s a logical or fair approach or not.

We witnessed a car jacking on Friday afternoon, on Boulevard de Madeliene. As we walked from Montmartre area down to the river. I have never seen anything like that before.
A friend got attacked and mugged in the centre.

I have never felt as unsafe, needing to check over my shoulder, in any major city as I did over there. That's without anything that went on around the match.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2022, 02:35:59 pm »
The French ministers in the press conference effectively saying 'it's in the nature of Liverpool fans' just leaves you sick to the stomach. I really feel for everyone who's already been through this before after the past tragedies. Just grim.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2022, 02:49:42 pm »
At this stage it should be a conversation between Government Ministers.

Even knowing how our establishment treat us, surely they’re not going to let the French slander their own people.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2022, 02:51:45 pm »
It’s why both clubs should tackle this together so they have more power.

Absolutely

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2022, 02:54:51 pm »
No10 spokesman seems to have pretty much called the French authorities liars. That fraud Macron will love that.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2022, 02:55:39 pm »
Shouldn’t tickets all be mobile nowadays ?

Then Clubs send souvenir tickets to fans.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2022, 02:58:21 pm »
Bizarre that a supposed progressive country thinks you can get away with just outright lying in this day and age. Its not like 1989 where newspapers are the only place to read 'news'. Pretty much every fan there would have had a camera phone, all of the bullshit lies can be debunked in about two minutes
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2022, 02:58:24 pm »
Have UEFA thought this response out properly?
If they are laying the blame at Liverpool fans then they will have to impose a punishment on Liverpools FC. do that and they will face a shit storm.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2022, 03:01:39 pm »
Bizarre that a supposed progressive country thinks you can get away with just outright lying in this day and age. Its not like 1989 where newspapers are the only place to read 'news'. Pretty much every fan there would have had a camera phone, all of the bullshit lies can be debunked in about two minutes

They clearly panicked and didn't think it through.

At least it showed us what kind of people they are
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2022, 03:03:11 pm »

Trump has largely written the playbook on this bulllshit.

Offline Kitch83

• Main Stander
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2022, 03:03:16 pm »
I don't think there's any doubt that fake tickets were one of the root causes of the problem.

Many, if not most, holders may not have been aware, or had invalidated tickets, but without a system to shunt them without stopping the flow it's just feeding the chaos.

Our lot needs to start chanting "Back Up!" from the front next time a crush comes.  This is another tragic accident waiting to happen and being the best supported Club in the World, you know what's gonna happen next time.

With respect, this is the biggest crock of shit I have read in a while. And the fact you even think of a 'next time', is more reason not to speculate on lies that you are being fed.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2022, 03:04:51 pm »

It’s actually remarkable that our fans stood there for hours, kettled, tear gassed, pepper sprayed and abused, and there isn’t a single reported instance of Liverpool fans resorting to violence. Imagine if that was England fans. We are fortunate that journos were caught up in it otherwise it would be another stick to beat us with.

As for the fake tickets excuse, even if it is true that there were a lot in circulation, whose decision was it to put 35,000 tickets in the hands of people who aren’t members of either club? UEFA actively created a huge tout market and it was inevitable that criminals would try to get in on the action. The only lesson for proper fans is not ever to buy from touts, not only because they are vermin but because you run the risk of getting ripped off.

I actually think the issue was a combination of poor policing and turnstiles failing. Lots of stories of tickets being rejected but working later on. That is technologically impossible unless the fault is with the turnstile as opposed to the ticket.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2022, 03:07:11 pm »
Have UEFA thought this response out properly?
If they are laying the blame at Liverpool fans then they will have to impose a punishment on Liverpools FC. do that and they will face a shit storm.
This isn't a UEFA response, it's the French government (and there are some complex political issues involved for them - which shouldn't be our problem, but we're an easy target: we don't have a vote). There are things to hold UEFA to account for, and ultimately they're responsible for the hosting of the CL Final, but much/most of the issues on the ground seem to be the fault of local authorities and the police. Suggestions in the various threads suggest UEFA aren't thrilled at the tarnishing of their pinnacle event.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2022, 03:08:03 pm »
"If there were thousands and thousands of fake tickets, we would've known about it, we were on the concourse."

@SkyKaveh gives his first-hand account of what happened outside the Stade de France vs the statement from the French Interior Minister

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1531247866190217217

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2022, 03:08:32 pm »
I don't think there's any doubt that fake tickets were one of the root causes of the problem.

Many, if not most, holders may not have been aware, or had invalidated tickets, but without a system to shunt them without stopping the flow it's just feeding the chaos.

Our lot needs to start chanting "Back Up!" from the front next time a crush comes.  This is another tragic accident waiting to happen and being the best supported Club in the World, you know what's gonna happen next time.

Poor that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2022, 03:09:18 pm »
I actually think the issue was a combination of poor policing and turnstiles failing. Lots of stories of tickets being rejected but working later on. That is technologically impossible unless the fault is with the turnstile as opposed to the ticket.
Given the state of the organisation and direction, as others have said, that could just be tickets being rejected because they were presented at the wrong gate.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2022, 03:14:05 pm »

Christ! This is harrowing.

Sounds like the police may be, at best, unable to control the local gangs and, at worst, openly in cahoots with them. What has happened to France?
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2022, 03:14:28 pm »
The French authorities don't have control at sporting events anymore for football.  It's sad what happened in Paris.

If you look at Ligue 1 and all the craziness around it, Marseille have had multiple matches abandoned.  Pitch invasions and crowd problems everywhere.

For the Coupe de France final, Nice ultras were clashing with police amidst trouble from some PSG ultras also.  Saint Etienne supporters invading the pitch to attack their own players after relegation.  Lyon-Marseille abandoned.

These are some of the biggest names and games in French football (not some some provincial games), and it's just chaos.

So when our supporters get to Paris, the riot police have no interest in engaging or helping.  They just assume the worst and start treating the supporters with contempt, and it's a disgrace.  When the local gangs and such come up and cause problems, particularly after the match (see what Kitch posted and what Jim Beglin tweeted), the police don't do anything, probably just assuming the same "fights" they see in Ligue 1.  And they just don't really care about foreign supporters getting home.

The French have lost all control at football matches and have resorted to heavy-handed tactics.  But when non-French supporters arrive and behave well, they don't adjust and react the same way, even though the supporters are innocent.  Now that they've screwed up, they'll blame the fans, as authorities do.

Some posters on here have referenced Hillsborough parallels.  You see it with how the French are handling things.  They've blamed fans for a result of their own failures.  And these failures of French government and society go far beyond just today.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/23/nice-marseille-chaos-fans-shame-ligue-1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/21/lyon-marseille-abandoned-after-dimitri-payet-hit-by-bottle-from-crowd

https://www.france24.com/en/sport/20220530-riot-police-clash-with-pitch-invading-fans-as-saint-%C3%A9tienne-relegated-from-ligue-1
King Kenny.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2022, 03:15:53 pm »

Think you need to take a sit down mate.