Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 42426 times)

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #320 on: April 1, 2016, 09:23:57 pm »
Anybody bother getting the breakdown/roadside recovery with the insurance company or do it separately through AA?
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #321 on: April 2, 2016, 11:02:11 am »
Anybody bother getting the breakdown/roadside recovery with the insurance company or do it separately through AA?
I got mine through ASDA. It's £7 a month not sure the level of cover, quite sure it includes recovery though
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: April 2, 2016, 11:10:04 am »
All count yourselfs lucky anyway. I have just passed my test and I am getting quoted £2,500

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #323 on: April 2, 2016, 11:22:19 am »
All count yourselfs lucky anyway. I have just passed my test and I am getting quoted £2,500

Try looking at Admiral multi-car.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: April 2, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »
I got mine through ASDA. It's £7 a month not sure the level of cover, quite sure it includes recovery though

Thanks!
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: April 4, 2016, 05:20:32 pm »
Northern Ireland is absolutely pants for insurance - I remember reading that it's something like 10-20% more expensive than the rest of the UK.  I'm on the same car and job as last year, I'm a year older, have another year of no claims, yet my best quote (after haggling) is 25% more than last year's price... my cousin in England drives the same car as me, is two years younger and his job is a red-flag one, yet he pays a third of the insurance price I pay.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2019, 05:18:20 pm »
Do you lose no claims discount if you take 6 - 12 months without driving?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2019, 05:47:13 pm »
Do you lose no claims discount if you take 6 - 12 months without driving?

If I remember right from my time working for Esure, they would accept anything up to 2 years gap.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:37 pm »
If I remember right from my time working for Esure, they would accept anything up to 2 years gap.

Ta mate.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:21 pm »
Ta mate.

Don't take it as gospel, that was quite a few years ago!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2019, 08:08:59 am »
Ta mate.

Check with your insurance how they long they allow, but I think it is still at least a 1 yr break is allowed.

I remember reading some advice last year about if you don't own a car but you other half does, swap the main driver over on the insurance each year and both build and retain NCB. Wish I'd done that as I lost full NCB when I sold my car, even though I was named on the wifes policy.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2019, 08:22:45 am »
Cheers Rob. It's someone I will be adding as a named driver on my policy as their car is fucked. She doesn't want to be paying her own insurance for a car she wont be driving anymore and will be a few months before shes in a position to buy another one.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2019, 10:48:37 pm »

I get AA cover though my membership of the Toyota owners club for £56 all in.
Justice for the 96!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #333 on: June 2, 2021, 10:48:32 am »
Was doing a spot of gardening yesterday out the back when the doorbell went. Went to answer it thinking it was a skip I had booked to remove some rubbish. Anyway, went to the door and it was a neighbour from across the road telling me to check my car. Car was parked on the road outside, with the back window and rear lights completely smashed, huge dent on the rear left too. Anyway, she’d been in her front garden and a van had pulled up, she saw two blokes get out and rifle through the rubbish that was stacked up at the front of ours. Anyway, they’d jumped back in their van, and somehow reversed into the back of my car causing the damage and driven off. She’d managed to get their number plate but in her words they looked like they were up to no good. Anyway, my insurance company have been brilliant however what happens if they deny liability? Also, not sure I want to get into a row with them over a car. Some neighbours saying involve the police but again, not sure that’s a road I want to go down. The positive is that the van is fully insured and taxed which initially I worried about.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #334 on: June 2, 2021, 10:51:24 am »
Ring the police and get them involved. Don’t let the fuckers get away with it.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #335 on: June 2, 2021, 11:04:55 am »
Ring the police and get them involved. Don’t let the fuckers get away with it.
Ordinarily yes but as it was outside my house, a little bit wary.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #336 on: June 2, 2021, 12:23:09 pm »
You've probably already pissed them off getting the insurance company involved so you'll probably want the police for a bit of protection mate

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #337 on: June 2, 2021, 01:18:01 pm »
True. Although, from their perspective, potentially 15 quid a month more on the direct debit is probably preferable to police involvement.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2023, 06:33:47 pm »
Got my renewel quote through yesterday. £628 up from £365 last year, thought it was them being their usual shit selves not wanting to retain the custom. Turns out this is one of the cheapest quotes out there, I know things have gone up, but a 70% increase is bonkers, especially for no change in circumstances, plus a 17 year NCB.

Anyone else copped for a horrendous uplift recently?
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2023, 07:20:58 pm »
Got my renewel quote through yesterday. £628 up from £365 last year, thought it was them being their usual shit selves not wanting to retain the custom. Turns out this is one of the cheapest quotes out there, I know things have gone up, but a 70% increase is bonkers, especially for no change in circumstances, plus a 17 year NCB.

Yes with LV £409 to £577 both aged 60 ( near enough ) full NCD I’ve one speeding convction . I read the other day it’s down to a lack of parts holding up repairs so courtesy carts are out for a lot longer
Edit just had a look on gocompare and getting a cheaper one at £525
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 07:28:22 pm by gazzam1963 »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2023, 08:55:15 pm »

My other half’s dad was moaning about his yesterday, I didn’t pay much attention as he’s a bit tight, but it’s gone up to over £1k, more than double what it was. He’s in his eighties.

Mines up in October will revisit the thread when I get mine
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2023, 09:36:59 pm »
I was on fully comp with LV, went up by exactly £100 this year even with 13 years NCB and no claims for five years. With third party theft and fire policy I'd save £35 so just went for it.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2023, 10:12:15 pm »
I was on fully comp with LV, went up by exactly £100 this year even with 13 years NCB and no claims for five years. With third party theft and fire policy I'd save £35 so just went for it.

You went for the third party ? Is it worth it if you have an accident and you’ve no claim on your own damage if it’s your fault

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2023, 10:27:43 pm »
You went for the third party ? Is it worth it if you have an accident and you’ve no claim on your own damage if it’s your fault

I don't think that's what he meant.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2023, 10:30:05 pm »
...Anyone else copped for a horrendous uplift recently?

I renewed the other week. Mine went up from around £285 to £500. 😲

I binned them off and got a five star rated fully comp policy through Confused for £340 with free legal protection.

My Mum's insurance also rocketed on renewal a month or so ago. Shopping around reduced that markedly but it was still up a fair bit on last year.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2023, 10:46:35 pm »

I don't think that's what he meant.

Yeah was not overly sure

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2023, 11:41:28 pm »
Never ever stay with a car insurance company… they treat existing customers like dirt…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2023, 03:31:12 am »
That's complete nonsense. Utter rubbish.  ::)

Mine with Churchill went from £520 a year in 2021, £290 in 2022 and £219 a few months back.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2023, 07:39:41 am »
I've renewed with Admiral this week. They tried to increase it by £100 - I still couldn't get lower on a comparison website, but I called Admiral to complain and they reduced last years premium by about £50. So I'm happy in the end.
That's with 2 other named drivers.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2023, 08:08:07 am »
I've renewed with Admiral this week. They tried to increase it by £100 - I still couldn't get lower on a comparison website, but I called Admiral to complain and they reduced last years premium by about £50. So I'm happy in the end.
That's with 2 other named drivers.

I was with Admiral for years doing exactly that - they tried to hike it, I'd go find the best alternative on Confused (which would sometimes be a little cheaper) then they'd beat that and the premium would either go down or stay roughly the same.

Then a few years back the girl I was speaking to for renewals said "We don't do that" and wouldn't budge. It was a weird conversation, she accused me of lying about the alternative quotes anyway as she could see I'd searched on Compare the Market and nothing was cheaper. I told her I never use the site (which is true, I can't stand the bloody meerkat voices on the ads) and Confused had honestly given me better quotes, so I got a brief "Well I suggest you follow one of those up then"  and that was the end of that!

I 've not stayed with any one insurer since, switching is hardly a hassle any more as you just get all the documents popped on a portal day 1. With Churchill currently, paying about £220. I've had it under £200 a couple of times but house moves and car changes have pushed it back up slightly. Don't think I ever paid more than £800 a year, some of the quotes youngsters get now for pretty bland first cars are insane.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2023, 07:21:54 pm »
It's mad currently. Two years ago I paid sub £200 on a Honda Civic, went up slightly when I changed car last year, which is understandable, newer bigger car. But this years quotes are obscene, I'm being quote £200 less than my first car 17 years ago.

Plus I have no accidents/convicitions and my wifes accident from 5 years ago has just dropped off.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2023, 09:23:06 am »
Getting some quotes on comparison sites for my lad for when he passes his test. Trying to avoid the usual boy racer cars like Corsa or Golf.

Yet to get a quote under £3500 for a scrapper that's worth less than £1k. How do they expect young people to be able to afford that?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2023, 11:58:51 am »
I'd hate to be a young driver trying to get insurance. Quotes are insane.

I didn't learn to drive until I was around 40. My first policy came in at £600 for a 1.1L car that was five years old. I hate to think what it might have been if I was twenty years younger when looking to purchase a policy.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2023, 12:03:06 pm »
Getting some quotes on comparison sites for my lad for when he passes his test. Trying to avoid the usual boy racer cars like Corsa or Golf.

Yet to get a quote under £3500 for a scrapper that's worth less than £1k. How do they expect young people to be able to afford that?

Sadly they are paying for being in the worst group for being killed and seriously injured in accidents. The 17-24 age group costs £2.9 billion in payouts, compared to the total cost of £14.7 billion.

I know from buying and repairing a few Corsas with a mate, most ie 99% of the cars we bought, were front damaged from rear ending others.Some claims will work out at least £20k each - damage to the cars, and PI claims, you could be looking at 8 to 10 people banging in a claim for one accident. Its even worse with leccy cars, write off a basic Vauxhall Mokka E and thats a £44k car.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2023, 12:04:25 pm »
I'd hate to be a young driver trying to get insurance. Quotes are insane.

I didn't learn to drive until I was around 40. My first policy came in at £600 for a 1.1L car that was five years old. I hate to think what it might have been if I was twenty years younger when looking to purchase a policy.

£199 I paid for a 2ltr Capri when I was 21 - I could and should have bought a 3ltr, as it wasn't much more to insure. No ambulance chasers in those days though....

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2023, 07:10:04 pm »

Are the quotes with your lad as policyholder?

If so, don't bother, as £3000+ quotes is what you'll be getting.

You become policyholder, add his mum and lad on there as named drivers and that should be a lot cheaper. Let him build driving experience and when he gets to 21-22, he can begin his own policy.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: August 29, 2023, 10:27:43 am »
Are the quotes with your lad as policyholder?

If so, don't bother, as £3000+ quotes is what you'll be getting.

You become policyholder, add his mum and lad on there as named drivers and that should be a lot cheaper. Let him build driving experience and when he gets to 21-22, he can begin his own policy.

Yeah I've been looking at quotes with me as the main driver too, still £1500+. Better money wise obviously, but still shite to build his no claims. I reckon at 21/22 he'll stilll be looking at £2k or more.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #357 on: August 29, 2023, 10:49:21 am »
Yeah I've been looking at quotes with me as the main driver too, still £1500+. Better money wise obviously, but still shite to build his no claims. I reckon at 21/22 he'll stilll be looking at £2k or more.

Hiya mate. I have been looking at quotes for my daughter (18 in December) but have been limiting it to Group 1 cars (Ford KA, that sort of thing) and they are coming in around £1500 for her as the main policy holder and me as a named driver. I think the insurance grouping makes a big difference. I know that the VW UP, Polo and Ford KA are all very low groups.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #358 on: August 29, 2023, 10:51:35 am »
£199 I paid for a 2ltr Capri when I was 21 - I could and should have bought a 3ltr, as it wasn't much more to insure. No ambulance chasers in those days though....

That's a bit of a myth nowadays though you know. The rules changed a few years ago and there is no money in it for lawyers on low value claims (basic whiplash type claims). The insurance industry said it would reduce the cost of policies - low and behold it never did.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: August 29, 2023, 10:52:26 am »
Hiya mate. I have been looking at quotes for my daughter (18 in December) but have been limiting it to Group 1 cars (Ford KA, that sort of thing) and they are coming in around £1500 for her as the main policy holder and me as a named driver. I think the insurance grouping makes a big difference. I know that the VW UP, Polo and Ford KA are all very low groups.

I might change his sex to female on the next search to see what the difference is  :D