Author Topic: Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz - 17 goals & X assists worth of 'I told you so'  (Read 727444 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz - 17 goals & 10 assist worth of 'I told you so'
« Reply #6360 on: December 16, 2013, 08:01:06 am »
I honestly think he deserves a mention alongside Messi and Ronaldo.
agreed.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #6361 on: December 16, 2013, 08:05:48 am »
Thrown this out to twitter and no one seems sure of the answer:

Has a player ever scored 20 league goals in the English top-flight/('Premier League era') before the turn of the year?
(minus 4 games for a ban!)

Also, has a player scored more than 30 goals and had more than 15 assists? I think Suarez will smash both stats.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #6362 on: December 16, 2013, 08:06:13 am »
The Ajax fans told us "he gets lots of goals, but he needs 12 chances to score a goal". And that was the Luis we saw at Anfield for the first few months. But that's obviously not who he is now. What happened? Can anyone explain how you can go from (relatively) profligate to super-efficient in front of goal in a year or so?

And is it marketable?

And where can I get some?

That's easy. He's hitting his peak now.

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6363 on: December 16, 2013, 09:10:06 am »
I honestly believe he's one of the three best players in the world right now, and I'm not sure if he's number 1, 2 or 3. If he keeps this up for a year or two, nobody will doubt he's in the same league as Messi and Ronaldo.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #6364 on: December 16, 2013, 09:13:55 am »
We must simply wrap him up in bubble wrap at the end of the game, box and unpack before next game kickoff.
Or make sure the red-nosed drunk doesn't get back on the scene... I'm sure his foaming at the mouth somewhere, wondering how he's ever going to deal with this "problem". Plan A didn't work, there may be a Plan B..
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6365 on: December 16, 2013, 09:14:39 am »
If he scores 2 more, he'll have as many as the top scorer in the league in 08/09, and one more than the top scorers in 98/99 and 97/98. 3 more and he'll have as many as the top scorers in the league in 06/07 and 10/11. Over a FULL season. He could achieve that as soon as next game, who knows with this guy?! He scores 1 in 4 shots he takes - that's a sensational return rate.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6366 on: December 16, 2013, 09:24:25 am »
Whether Rodgers and the club can convince Suarez to stay is the big question for the next 6-9 months.  It does appear like Real Madrid ignored Suarez in favour of the more marketable Bale in the summer.  It was easy for us to reject the advances of Arsenal and I'm proud of the club for taking such a strong stance.  However, if Suarez keeps this form up it's inconceivable that one of the true giants of the game won't come in for him by the summer.  There has to be a bid from either Real, Bayern or even Barca and that will be very hard to say no to because as much as Suarez loves playing for the club, if Real come knocking that might be enough to force him to hand in an official transfer request.

And I'm not trying to put Suarez down, but he has made no secret of wanting to play there.  What we have to do is work hard to convince him to stay (top 4 or better is a good start, investing further in the first team with some real talent is another).  And if after that a bid still comes in and he wants to go, we have to make sure we get what we truly think he is worth.  And for me that is more than the ludicrous money paid for Gareth Bale.

But like I said earlier, I'm trying not to think about Suarez leaving and am just loving every moment he's in a red shirt.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6367 on: December 16, 2013, 09:28:45 am »
Coming to think of it Redknapp tried robbing him off us.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6368 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:52 am »
Coming to think of it Redknapp tried robbing him off us.

Redknapp didn't follow up on his interest because he didn't think Suarez was a natural finisher...teehee.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #6369 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:02 am »
Talisman and currently - da best player in da whole wide world!

Some wondered what impact it would have on City if Aguero was out... Geuss we'll soon see(out for possibly 6 weeks):

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sergio-aguero-injury-manchester-city-2931372
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6370 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
Good one u36. Robbies still God though. Luis is quickly entering He Man, Master of the Universe territory and gaining speed though. The evil Skelator is played by Patrice Evra but hes long since been defeated and sent into mancsile to wait for the drop.

Little career burst of form we've seen in the last 3 games where the way overused "unstoppable" actually is the real and physical case. Cool.

Somebody mentioned the other day, playing for Liverpool seems to do that to strikers sometimes. True, 'dat. 

On the captaincy subject, as a matter of expediency its a bold statement but I view it as tactical more than anything else. It was an important game at an important time and you just had to know that having handed the armband for a historic club like  LFC Luis Suarez the person would pretty much rather die than be defeated in that particular game. Guaranteed fever pitch, like as if he needed the boost anyway.  And, as it turns out, he scored 2 and made 3 more. hfs.

Yes its true he wanted to play for a CL team so he could win it single-handedly but he was made to by himself for a whole day with no-one but his daughter to speak with and he felt sad and cried about it, so that's all paid up why do people keep hurling stones my god man the humanity......the Humanity......did I mention he scored 2 and made 3? Well in lad.
Perhaps after the problems he had last year when he tried to move out he understood he was wrong as soon as he realized of the immense love that Liverpool supporters have for him.

And he, like the prodigal son, cameback with a different attitude toward the club and his supporters wanting to show his love for the people that always loved him.

Nothing can stop a man like Luis Suarez, with the right mental attitude, from scoring goals nearly every week and showing his affection for the club.

It is a pity that some fans did not yet forgive him.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:13:38 am by Uruguayan36 »

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #6371 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:49 am »
He just gives the team so much confidence when he's playing like this.

Brings up the level of everyone's performance.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #6372 on: December 16, 2013, 10:12:16 am »
Looks happy :)
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #6373 on: December 16, 2013, 10:14:32 am »
Good article by Barney Ronay in The Guardian describing him as the "Lord of Chaos".  Nice.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/15/liverpool-luis-suarez-tottenham

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #6374 on: December 16, 2013, 10:16:28 am »
Luis Suarez 2013/14: 11 games, 17 goals
Fernando Torres 2011-13: 94 games, 17 goals
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #6375 on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:40 am »
Luis Suarez 2013/14: 11 games, 17 goals
Fernando Torres 2011-13: 94 games, 17 goals
Are you trying to tell us we kept the right one?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #6376 on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:34 am »
Good article by Barney Ronay in The Guardian describing him as the "Lord of Chaos".  Nice.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/15/liverpool-luis-suarez-tottenham

Yeah, that paragraph is worth quoting in full:

Suárez, of course, is quite the opposite, Liverpool's own lord of chaos and a player who feeds gleefully on moments of broken play, as he did in scoring the opening goal after 18 minutes. Dawson slipped and Suárez reacted quickest to take Jordan Henderson's pass, switch his feet brilliantly and finish with a delicious sense of ease. It was one of those moments – there were plenty here – where he seems to have his own personalised little envelope of 33rpm time where everyone else is on 45, able to take three steps to Capoue's one as he shaped to shoot, absolutely certain in his mind what was going to happen next.

Player of the year if he keeps on at anything like this standard and doesn't muck it up. He's just on a different level, has been for a long time.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #6377 on: December 16, 2013, 10:31:20 am »

Has a player ever scored 20 league goals in the English top-flight/('Premier League era') before the turn of the year?
I doubt it very much.  I can remember Ronaldo getting 20-25 by Feb but not before the year end.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #6378 on: December 16, 2013, 10:37:18 am »
I doubt it very much.  I can remember Ronaldo getting 20-25 by Feb but not before the year end.

Dixie Dean was 30 by Christmas in his 60 goal season. Puts it into perspective that you're trawling back to 27/28 and an all time great to find better.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #6379 on: December 16, 2013, 10:37:53 am »

Roy of the Rovers
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6380 on: December 16, 2013, 10:43:16 am »
Just think how many goals he'd be on if he didn't miss the first 5 games
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6381 on: December 16, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »
So, 38 game a season record in the Premier League is Shearer/Ronaldo on 31.

Luis would need 15 in the next 22 to beat it...

Offline QuicoGalante

• Main Stander
« Reply #6382 on: December 16, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »
He hasnt peaked yet. Seriously, you have no clue what this guy is capable of. Ive been watching him since he was a youngster, and ive seen isolated moments of magic beyond belief.  And ive never seen a will to win bigger than his, ever, and i live in the land of miracles, and mental ironmen of football. He has surpassed all ive seen in that aspect

He was always a fantastic finisher, its just that he is SO GOOD, that he always tried to place the shots an inch from the bar or post, hence his 890 post hits from his early Liverpool days. Now he tries to be not be so perfect, and its working perfectly ;)

Just imagine what he could do if he was properly accompanied. Now with Cou and Stevie, i think he has players on his same channel, or close

He is a complete machine, who has the ability and technique to accompany the will and attitude.
He never gets tired, he always wants more.
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.
He never wants to be substituted, not even when he has scored 4 and has 1 assist.
His body is made of rock, designed to withstand the abuse he gets from inferior players who cant handle him.
His mind is that of a 13 year old, and play with that disrespect and joy, trying the impossible
He is so complete he could probably play in every position on the field beside CB, and still be useful.

He is the quintessential footballer. And he is a Red

Cheers from Uruguay.

PS..Im dead serious when i tell you LS hasnt peaked yet  >:(

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6383 on: December 16, 2013, 12:19:52 pm »
So, 38 game a season record in the Premier League is Shearer/Ronaldo on 31.

Luis would need 15 in the next 22 to beat it...
A couple of hat-tricks(which is well within him and starting Saturday) and that's 9 in 20.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6384 on: December 16, 2013, 12:23:30 pm »
A couple of hat-tricks(which is well within him and starting Saturday) and that's 9 in 20.

Crucially, in Suarez's favour - we have a trip to Carrow Road up later in the season which is another 3/4...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #6385 on: December 16, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »
Crucially, in Suarez's favour - we have a trip to Carrow Road up later in the season which is another 3/4...

He's moved in from his hattrick phase. Now anything less than 4/5 is disappointing against RUddy

Offline pudgethemidget

• Kopite
« Reply #6386 on: December 16, 2013, 12:36:03 pm »
I absolutely love this man. Christmas come early  ;D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6387 on: December 16, 2013, 01:38:05 pm »

Read it earlier - was smiling at the Lord of Chaos, brilliant description of him. When Dawson has the ball near the end of the game, Suarez is 5-10 yards away from him, not one other Liverpool player around. Dawson smashes it into touch, but he had all the space to get it out and up the pitch.

That's what Suarez does. He's mentally won a few battles without even touching the ball.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6388 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »
Read it earlier - was smiling at the Lord of Chaos, brilliant description of him. When Dawson has the ball near the end of the game, Suarez is 5-10 yards away from him, not one other Liverpool player around. Dawson smashes it into touch, but he had all the space to get it out and up the pitch.

That's what Suarez does. He's mentally won a few battles without even touching the ball.

That was at the end of the first half wasn't it? I remember it and saying exactly the same thing. Dawson had time but because he knew Suarez was around he didn't think he had any as was expecting him to be buzzing around him trying to win the ball.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6389 on: December 16, 2013, 01:52:26 pm »
That was at the end of the first half wasn't it? I remember it and saying exactly the same thing. Dawson had time but because he knew Suarez was around he didn't think he had any as was expecting him to be buzzing around him trying to win the ball.

Yeah think it was, Dawson was getting ripped around with Capoue having a shocker. I think he didn't even want to take a chance that there was someone else closing him down from his blind side (they barely had an respite from Henderson, Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho in those positions all game) and just whacks it into touch.

And I remember when Suarez came back against Man Utd in the Cup, there was talk of us doing well without him (as we had done), but Smalling (I think it was) did something similar, and that itself showed what Suarez brings to our attack.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #6390 on: December 16, 2013, 01:57:23 pm »

Love it.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #6391 on: December 16, 2013, 02:00:50 pm »
Nonsense.

It'd be more like 26, at least.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6392 on: December 16, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »
(they barely had an respite from Henderson, Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho in those positions all game)

That's what was so great about our performance. There were times in the first half when Henderson and Allen were pressuring Spurs in their midfield, one of them would pressurise leading to the Spurs player to shield the ball and the other would just take the ball when they did. Hunting in packs. Brilliant!

Offline Pidalow

• Legacy Fan
  • Success is not forever and failure isn’t fatal.
« Reply #6393 on: December 16, 2013, 02:03:26 pm »
Has the Suarez flag made an appearance this season, if not then its surely time it does!  :P

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #6394 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:24 pm »
Hunting in packs. Brilliant!
And whenever we don't do that, we look a bit shit!  ;)

I seriously think with a fit, sharp, constantly energetic, committed squad, plus that little sprinkling of gifted magicians, the sky is very much the limit for us now. Imagine an unbroken run of 10 or so games playing like that; talk of the title just wouldn't be able to stay taboo any longer. Not that I'm saying it's on or anything!

...I totally am though.  ;D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6395 on: December 16, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »
That's what was so great about our performance. There were times in the first half when Henderson and Allen were pressuring Spurs in their midfield, one of them would pressurise leading to the Spurs player to shield the ball and the other would just take the ball when they did. Hunting in packs. Brilliant!

It was class. There was a point when we were a bit too aggressive, 2-3 players around the Spurs meff. Gave away the free kick, they took it quickly, as soon as it hits the other Spurs player, 3 Red men descend on the poor bastard and the ball's near their box within 2 seconds of it happening. And when the ball did get forward, you had Henderson, Allen getting forward too and attacking.

Think I'll be buzzing off this one for ages. Especially if we put Cardiff away easily on Saturday.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #6396 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:28 pm »
Tell you something his compilation of goals at the end of the season is going to be a highlight reel from start to finish.

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
« Reply #6397 on: December 16, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »
Tell you something his compilation of goals at the end of the season is going to be a highlight reel from start to finish.
nah, he hasn't even scored a goal of the month... ever
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #6398 on: December 16, 2013, 02:28:05 pm »
Stats for this season

17 goals
10 assists
1 manager.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #6399 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »
If we make CL (or better) I have no doubts he will stay.

He was willing to go to fucking Arsenal just because they are in the CL!

His desire to move to them (or anybody) in the CL wasn't because they were a latin-speaking club or anything.

This guy isnt doing a Mascherano, complaining about his surroundings or his family being homesick.

If we are challenging at the top table, both in Europe and the Prem, then I dont see why he'd want to move, as long as we pay him according to what he deserves = £200k+ per week.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate