Author Topic: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield  (Read 482914 times)

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield
« Reply #1800 on: January 17, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »
Out of interest what is the latest PR disaster that required this stadium update? Spending £12m on a player (which is about the 8th largest fee we've ever paid) and getting rid of two highly paid and non-contributing players?

I'd hardly call either PR disasters.

I'd also hazard we have given the LCC some sort of assurances (written maybe?) that we will proceed with the expansion or I highly doubt they'll be attempting to buy up the properties behind the Centenary on just the say so of FSG.

That was my point. Yes, it's wise to be cautious as the owner's have made mistakes but when it seems to be just more conspiracy and paranoia then it's counterproductive.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1801 on: January 17, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »
...I'd also hazard we have given the LCC some sort of assurances (written maybe?) that we will proceed with the expansion or I highly doubt they'll be attempting to buy up the properties behind the Centenary on just the say so of FSG.

They won't be doing it on FSG's say so or to help LFC so much.

LCC is doing it because they are obliged to create housing for people in an area that desperately needs it. That said, they'll also be happy for the jobs and increased visitors to the city that a bigger stadium would bring
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:45:44 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #1802 on: January 17, 2013, 02:57:53 pm »
If I was a cynical man, I'd think that the meeting in a few weeks coincides with the end of the transfer window and we'll get a bit of news on the day after it closes. Just to take the edge off any disappointment.

I'd add paranoid and delusional to that.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1803 on: January 17, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »
I'd add paranoid and delusional to that.

You think these owners are beyond burying bad news with PR?

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1804 on: January 17, 2013, 03:38:17 pm »
What bad news are you talking about though? They've said all along that that we were targeting  one, maybe two players this window. (strurridge, ince)

The club is investing more money than when we were in the champions league and earning an extra £40m a year. I don't think a sane person can complain about a lack of investment.

Anyway, its good to see LCC working in concert with the club for a change. Just wondering how long people think the planning application will take to clear all hurdles?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: January 17, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »
What bad news are you talking about though? They've said all along that that we were targeting  one, maybe two players this window. (strurridge, ince)

The club is investing more money than when we were in the champions league and earning an extra £40m a year. I don't think a sane person can complain about a lack of investment.

Anyway, its good to see LCC working in concert with the club for a change. Just wondering how long people think the planning application will take to clear all hurdles?

You cannot say. You should never say. Too many variables. That's our planning system...

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #1806 on: January 17, 2013, 05:20:38 pm »
You cannot say. You should never say. Too many variables. That's our planning system...

Ain't that just the truth! :D

The thing that's frustrating me is that irrespective of whether any fan is pro or anti FSG, in the history of the stadium issue, no previous owners have managed to get the Council on board with redeveloping Anfield.  The Council have been 100% opposed to it since the whole idea was mooted back in 1998.  The Save Anfield campaign had a meeting with Parry, and then closed the campaign down because they believed (from what Parry told them) that redevelopment was impossible.

The current owners have managed to do what previous owners never achieved, and now the Council seem to be supportive of redevelopment.  For me, that's a huge hurdle.

And, as you say Peter, planning is a bloody nightmare, and a lot of the frustration in this thread comes from fans not being 'kept in the loop'.  It's the nature of planning that the plans, designs, ideas, specs, local requirements, council demands, etc can change from one month to the next.

I have no doubt that the club are working closely with the Council to be able to present plans which the planning department will find acceptable.  Hopefully then it will sail through.

In fact, some of the criticisms of previous regimes by the Council has been because previous regimes showed a lack of respect and couldn't keep their mouths shut.

Now, we have a regime that is keeping things quiet (as preferred by the Council) - and things are moving for redevelopment with Council support.

I'm not sure how that can be spun, but no doubt someone will give it a damn good go.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1807 on: January 17, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »

See I get that. I think most people interested in the stadium do. So why is Ayre dropping little bits in interviews with the echo? To be honest feel the same about most of those interviews this week, and all the issues he's talking about. Since when did we need our MD doing interviews in the media. I don't remember Parry doing it. Am pretty sure White and Robinson didn't do it. It's not how things are done at Liverpool. Just shut up Ayre, and get on with your job, which isn't talking to media about anything you fancy.

I don't know whether Ayres interview this week is after Gerrard's comments that he thinks the young player policy is too narrow. But that's what it looks like, trying to smooth things over. It looks like someone in a PR company has put him up to it and he's just gone off on one. Contradicting a load of things the owners have said before about 'competing with anyone'. About getting Sturridge in at the right price, when we probably could have got him in August, when we only had one striker but then didn't. 

A lot of older fans just want to hear about the football, without the bullshit. We'll judge the owners on whether they deliver on any promises they make, on the pitch and where if they make promises off it those as well.

Right, that's all, let's hope for good news on the stadium, with some real substance to it.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: January 17, 2013, 06:20:19 pm »
See I get that. I think most people interested in the stadium do. So why is Ayre dropping little bits in interviews with the echo?

Could be something as simple as, if he doesn't say anything then what is he hiding/nothing is being done/club sucks at communication; and if he does comment then he's saying too much/making gaffes/club sucks at communication.

If true then it's a lose/lose situation but who knows?

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #1809 on: January 17, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
You might only repeat what you're told but it seems you're often told utter cock. Major stadium work is not starting in May.

Have you forgotten this already? (well, it was last October...)  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19935925

So after todays echo report read my part again and tell me im wrong or as you said utter cock  (gobshite)
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1810 on: January 17, 2013, 06:24:26 pm »
See I get that. I think most people interested in the stadium do. So why is Ayre dropping little bits in interviews with the echo? To be honest feel the same about most of those interviews this week, and all the issues he's talking about. Since when did we need our MD doing interviews in the media. I don't remember Parry doing it. Am pretty sure White and Robinson didn't do it. It's not how things are done at Liverpool. Just shut up Ayre, and get on with your job, which isn't talking to media about anything you fancy.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't to be honest.

There have been loads of people on here getting all annoyed because the club haven't kept fans informed. Now he comes out and informs the fans it pisses off a load of others (and some of the ones who wanted informing just because nothing is right to those!).

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1811 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:21 pm »
So after todays echo report read my part again and tell me im wrong or as you said utter cock  (gobshite)

You said work will start in May, what Ayre has said today doesn't change the fact that its highly unlikely that it will.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:46 pm »

I wasn't so childish as to say you were an utter cock. I said what you were told was utter cock - and it is. 2014 is when we'll start. That's what they said. No change here.

Now you want to call me a gobshite for stating the bleedin' obvious. Thank you for your input...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:47:59 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #1813 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:03 pm »
I wasn't so childish as to say you were an utter cock. I said what you were told was utter cock - and it is. 2014 is when we'll start. That's what they said. No change here.

Now you want to call me a gobshite for stating the bleedin' obvious. Thank you for your input...

Ok read it wrong there but work will start this summer
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: January 17, 2013, 07:19:46 pm »
Ok read it wrong there but work will start this summer

Application in the spring - that would be up to June 21 right? But let's not be so pessimistic. Let's go for the start of spring. Let's say all the land issues are bottomed out by March 20th, the first day of spring... because no-one can put a planning application in until they have control over the land. That's 8 or 9 weeks away. Good job. Well done.

Let's assume we didn't wait to find out what's going to happen to the properties and let's say we ploughed on and designed the thing anyway. Down to the nitty gritty - well, good enough for planning. Let's say we put it in straight away.

So how long will it take to get planning consent? As said. Nobody knows. Nobody. Not you. Not your mate. Not the club. Not council. Nobody.

But hey - let's go for the statutory 8 weeks or maybe 16 weeks - it being such a big application and all. That'll be July 10th (or was it 17th? - whatever, 10th). Great, the fastest planning consent on the planet and we're already in July.

Now, we've done the drawings for the consent but we haven't got a scheme for a contractor (six months? - all hands to the pump).

But wait, we don't have a contractor. We'd better tender that sucker or else we'll get ripped off and no mistake. How long will we give them to price and come back? A day? No. Let's call it 3 months.

So. 9 months after July 2013. April 2014.

Then we've got to negotiate the tender. Finalise the price. Give some time for the contractor to get his stuff together (sub contracts, general procurement - let's forget about site establishment)

If you're lucky... and if you overlap absolutely everything (drawings, consent, construction documents, contract, contractor's lead in) because you know what? We aren't going to get it all done that quickly are we?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:29:21 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1815 on: January 17, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »

You're wrong:

Echo

LIVERPOOL FC’S £150million project to redevelop Anfield remains on track with the club hoping to submit a planning application in the spring.

Planning application in the spring (March/April) plus say three months minimum for planning would mean June/July for approval

Ok been told today on good authority that work will begin as soon as end of may on the new main stand,the houses behind will be first to go.A 3 tier main stand with exec boxes then once this is done the annieroad will follow suit.
But the biggest thing is that work will start in may

You may well have been told that something will start in May but it's unlikely to be work to construct the new stand.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: January 17, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
What would be a resonable time scale for this expansion process once it starts and all the papers are sorted?
Two seasons?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: January 17, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »
What would be a resonable time scale for this expansion process once it starts and all the papers are sorted?
Two seasons?

Given the site constraints and working during the season too - two years for each stand and each stand staggered to start one year after the other.

Offline Paulinjo

• Shoulda gone to Specsavers
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1818 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:48 pm »
Can someone explain it please where are 150m gonna come from?

owners? Haha

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1819 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:32 pm »

owners? Haha

Could come from multiple sources, either all from one or a whole mix. Including sponsorship, selling multi-year season tickets in advance, from FSG, via debt serviced from the increased income, sell a stake of the club, bonds, etc.

I doubt FSG will have an issue finding sources of income for it to be honest.

Offline Paulinjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #1820 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:50 pm »
Could come from multiple sources, either all from one or a whole mix. Including sponsorship, selling multi-year season tickets in advance, from FSG, via debt serviced from the increased income, sell a stake of the club, bonds, etc.

I doubt FSG will have an issue finding sources of income for it to be honest.

Thx, could be that. Although I have my doubts it's gonna be FSG's money (even partially portion), because of their "actions" during transfer windows.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #1821 on: January 17, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »
more pointless quotes from ayre
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1822 on: January 17, 2013, 10:08:40 pm »
Thx, could be that. Although I have my doubts it's gonna be FSG's money (even partially portion) since their "actions" during transfer windows.

'Their actions'?! They said from day one that the club would run off it's own resources, and they've been true to their word on that (other than £30m coming in from them which isn't chump change).

Now they could well provide some money in for the stadium, who knows. I wouldn't put it past some coming in that way, with more coming in via commercial deals (it was hinted at the other day by the two guys running the commercial side of the club) and through long term selling of corporate seats as well as bank loans secured on future stadium revenue.

Offline Paulinjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #1823 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:38 pm »
'Their actions'?! They said from day one that the club would run off it's own resources, and they've been true to their word on that (other than £30m coming in from them which isn't chump change).

Now they could well provide some money in for the stadium, who knows. I wouldn't put it past some coming in that way, with more coming in via commercial deals (it was hinted at the other day by the two guys running the commercial side of the club) and through long term selling of corporate seats as well as bank loans secured on future stadium revenue.

For me they didn't invest a dime of their money into the club (and I respect it, they said the club will be self-sufficient, that's okey and that's the way club should be run). Remember last summer when they shortened a financial fiscal year by a month (just one month before transfer window opens) so that they could see if there is any money avaible in the club. Any player Rodgers bought last summer came from that money, not from theirs.
I dont want prolong this and make anti-owners-thing or transfer-gossip-shit topic, just wanna say I believe they will eventually prove themselves as good owners, who don't take money from the club (like the previous cowboys), rather invest in player/stadium department

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1824 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:24 pm »

owners? Haha

No Haha about it.

The simplest although not necessarily the most efficient way is to fund the money borrowed to cover the whole lot to build the stadium from the increased income. Done properly this would be the basic feasibility of the stadium ie., it makes more than it costs. In this respect a stadium is no different from any other commercial development. It was how Liverpool One was done. It was how your house was built.

No-one would ever have to 'find the money' or put their hands in their own pockets, although they would have to tie up a load of cash or equity to guarantee the whole amount borrowed against it all going tits up. And they may be required to put some of their own cash in depending on how risky a bank thinks it is and what interest rate is charged and how much the borrower feels they can venture themselves.

Stand naming rights and commercial sponsorships are nice-to-haves and are alternative sources of income for the club or can replace at least some of owner's guarantees but the scheme must work financially without them or else no investor should touch it with a barge-pole.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:36:52 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »
For me they didn't invest a dime of their money into the club (and I respect it, they said the club will be self-sufficient, that's okey and that's the way club should be run). Remember last summer when they shortened a financial fiscal year by a month (just one month before transfer window opens) so that they could see if there is any money avaible in the club. Any player Rodgers bought last summer came from that money, not from theirs.
I dont want prolong this and make anti-owners-thing or transfer-gossip-shit topic, just wanna say I believe they will eventually prove themselves as good owners, who don't take money from the club (like the previous cowboys), rather invest in player/stadium department

They've not been entirely true to their word but only to put in extra money in when they felt it was needed but i think we're back to Plan A now - living within our means.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1826 on: January 17, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »

They put £30m in, it's in the accounts so its doesnt matter what they did in your opinion!

And shortening the financial year was to match UEFAs FFP calculating period. Moving it by a month doesn't create any extra money within the club. I'm not sure you understand how accounting works if you think that.

Anyway, this isn't the place for this. Stadium funding will be an interesting topic for sure, but its a bit of an unknown for now.

Offline Paulinjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #1827 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »
They put £30m in, it's in the accounts so its doesnt matter what they did in your opinion!

And shortening the financial year was to match UEFAs FFP calculating period. Moving it by a month doesn't create any extra money within the club. I'm not sure you understand how accounting works if you think that.

Anyway, this isn't the place for this. Stadium funding will be an interesting topic for sure, but its a bit of an unknown for now.

I'm quite sure how accounting works and I know it wont make extra money, dont need to explain me that. Anyway, care to share a link of Liverpool accounts (PM)?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1828 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:13 pm »
I'm quite sure how accounting works and I know it wont make extra money, dont need to explain me that. Anyway, care to share a link of Liverpool accounts (PM)?

Companies house, couple of quid. Look at their first year (to July 11, released early 2012).

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1829 on: January 18, 2013, 01:28:35 am »
 Liverpool and Everton communities to benefit from £40 million transformation. Communities based around Liverpool's Premier league football grounds are to receive a major makeover as part of a 40 million environmental improvement scheme.
Four major 'gateways' to the city's most popular tourist attractions will be radically overhauled with nearly 4,000 homes to receive external improvement works from Liverpool Mutual Homes (LMH)
Gardens and public green land will also receive significant upgrades as part of the GreenPrint for Growth strategy.
The project will see the main routes from the city centre leading north to Everton FC and Liverpool FC stadiums, Aintree Racecourse, the Docks and once built, Liverpool Waters, drastically transformed.
Large-scale repairs and maintenance will be carried out externally to LMH-owned homes, flats and sheltered housing complexes on the following routes: Waterloo Road leading to Regent Road; Great Howard Street leading to Derby Road; Vauxhall Road leading to Commercial Road; Scotland Road leading to Kirkdale Road and Walton Road.
Some 3,990 homes will receive new fences, over 500 new roofs will be fitted, 4,200 homes will benefit from roof repairs, and the communal areas of 140 flats will be overhauled. According to LMH, 12m will be spent over the next year alone.
LMH chief executive, Steve Coffey, said: Our work with Liverpool Vision under the GreenPrint for Growth programme will make a huge difference to the people and communities of north Liverpool that have been left neglected for far too long. We have a large number of properties in the area and this regeneration scheme will complement the 380m improvement programme we are carrying out to homes that sees us investing 65.8m this financial year. Residents will benefit from an improved standard of living and it will paint a far better picture of the city for potential investors and the millions of tourists who visit landmarks like the football grounds, the Docks and Aintree Racecourse every year. It is vital for Liverpools growth and prosperity that organisations like LMH help social enterprises and smaller businesses so offering them the chance to bid for multi-million pound contracts to deliver the environmental works gives them and the local economy a huge boost. Max Steinberg, Chief Executive of Liverpool Vision, said: This is a major step forward for the GreenPrint for Growth initiative. We need to make the wider area ready for investment and LMHs involvement will help improve the quality of place for the benefit of residents, help attract future investment and encourage business start ups and growth and crucially create jobs. Liverpool City Councils Cabinet Member for Housing, Councillor Ann OByrne, said: Its great news that LMH are carrying out these major housing improvements and environmental works. This massive investment will make a real difference to local residents, breathing new life into properties and revitalising some major city routes. We are working really hard to drive up the quality of housing in north Liverpool, so we can build a better future for local communities. This fantastic project will support our on-going efforts to create neighbourhoods that everyone can be proud of. The 2012/13 financial year is the fifth year of LMHs Improvement Programme which has seen over 380 million spent improving 15,000 homes that were transferred from Liverpool City Council in 2008.
Once completed, LMH will continue to invest millions of pounds to keep homes in good condition alongside building new properties and bringing empty homes back into use.

[found at work] Might be relevant or please delete.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline The Las

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1830 on: January 18, 2013, 07:27:00 am »
Found these from 2010, i guess this will pretty much be how it will look.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #1831 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:19 am »
I don't remember Parry doing it.

Parry was in the media regularly, mainly on Radio 5, its just that at the time there wasn't this ridiculous hypersensitive atmosphere around the ownership and management of the club.

A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1832 on: January 18, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »
Parry used to show up and the Champions League draw, I do remember that.

Happy days feeling incredulity at his choice of tie and looking forward to beating Europe's finest.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #1833 on: January 18, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
Parry used to show up and the Champions League draw, I do remember that.

Happy days feeling incredulity at his choice of tie and looking forward to beating Europe's finest.

Thats true :)

Much as Ayre likes the Echo, Parry was a regular on the Sports week show, with Gary Richardson/

Often talked about the stadium, management, players and later ownership issues.

This is why I find it odd. We are actually now in the most stable and progressive ownership situation since before Moores decided to sell.

There's stuff wrong sure, and I don't like Ayre particularly but on the stadium issue alone to see LFC and LCC moving hand in hand on the stadium project is amazing. They were regularly cited as obstructors on the Stanley Park project.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1834 on: January 31, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »

There's stuff wrong sure, and I don't like Ayre particularly but on the stadium issue alone to see LFC and LCC moving hand in hand on the stadium project is amazing. They were regularly cited as obstructors on the Stanley Park project.

Different council now.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1835 on: January 31, 2013, 03:35:18 pm »
Different council now.

to be honest multiple councils have worked against the idea of an expanded Anfield, so getting any council to work hand in hand like this is good work.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1836 on: January 31, 2013, 03:42:44 pm »
to be honest multiple councils have worked against the idea of an expanded Anfield, so getting any council to work hand in hand like this is good work.

Joe Anderson's main policy is to renew the city's housing stock. The fact that doing this means LFC can expand the ground is largely a happy accident, but if it means he has a multi-million pound local business/city icon in his corner (and in his debt, in a sense) then he'd be daft to mess it up by putting unnecessary obstacles in their way.

Having a Mayor now means this sort of dealing can be more common, ideally to everyone's benefit.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1837 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:53 pm »
Joe Anderson's main policy is to renew the city's housing stock. The fact that doing this means LFC can expand the ground is largely a happy accident, but if it means he has a multi-million pound local business/city icon in his corner (and in his debt, in a sense) then he'd be daft to mess it up by putting unnecessary obstacles in their way.

Having a Mayor now means this sort of dealing can be more common, ideally to everyone's benefit.

He could of achieved the same outcome you state above, without the hassle of CPOs, etc and also gaining a fair bit of land, by pushing for the new stadium option only.

I think credit needs to be given where it is due really for bringing this option back to the table where it has been off for the previous decade.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1838 on: February 1, 2013, 01:58:35 am »
He could of achieved the same outcome you state above, without the hassle of CPOs, etc and also gaining a fair bit of land, by pushing for the new stadium option only.

I think credit needs to be given where it is due really for bringing this option back to the table where it has been off for the previous decade.

All credit to all concerned, don't get me wrong.

But...

He wants to build new houses. But he also likes knocking down old ones. Look at Edge Lane or the top half of Smithdown Road. Look at the Welsh Streets, which he's been trying to pull down for years. He clearly has a vision for the city and it involves getting rid of some of the worst old housing stock once and for all. There are lots of reasons to want to do that, and those houses around Anfield would clearly be high on anyone's list of such properties to demolish. (Unless you live in one, I suppose)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1839 on: February 1, 2013, 02:09:04 am »
All credit to all concerned, don't get me wrong.

But...

He wants to build new houses. But he also likes knocking down old ones. Look at Edge Lane or the top half of Smithdown Road. Look at the Welsh Streets, which he's been trying to pull down for years. He clearly has a vision for the city and it involves getting rid of some of the worst old housing stock once and for all. There are lots of reasons to want to do that, and those houses around Anfield would clearly be high on anyone's list of such properties to demolish. (Unless you live in one, I suppose)

Yeah but the only ones being demolished which you could argue are due to the expansion or the odd side of Lothair Rd. That's it.

Pushing for the new stadium would of seen a massive demo job on the current stadium and lots of nice new land handed over to the council for development.