Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5718324 times)

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #54240 on: November 25, 2019, 02:09:20 am »
So papers tomorrow say Arteta or Allegri. Would either solve their defensive issues?
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54241 on: November 25, 2019, 02:14:47 am »
So papers tomorrow say Arteta or Allegri. Would either solve their defensive issues?
Arteta is a massive gamble. But Allegri would get them organized far better than what Emery can muster

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54242 on: November 25, 2019, 03:26:53 am »
Going through their recent transfer history and they've been genuinely terrible for a good 5 years, maybe even 10. It's only really the Lacazette/Aubameyang deals that have been good recently, and even then buying both was a bit stupid when their defense is so bad.

Emery gets a lot of shit and probably rightly, but I doubt whoever comes in after him will fare much better.

Leno has been a good signing too. I know he's one on RAWK's shit player list like Pulisic, but he's been one of the few positives for them. The guy faces a shit-ton of shots every game too, far more than pretty much any goalie in the league, he's one of the least of their worries.

Gunedouzi is class. Tierney might turn out good for them, but otherwise i agree! Far to many misses, and strange big money splurges on players who surely where not priorities - like Auba at the time - although to be fair, he ended up being one of the few plus points. But also Pepe, they may have needed a winger, but the state of their defence, they could have spread the cash so much better, the contract for Özil too was so badly judged.

They are all over the place decision making wise.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54243 on: November 25, 2019, 05:49:00 am »
If Arsenal had any sense, they'd go for Rafa. He'd sort them out and get them back into the top 4 on a shit budget.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #54244 on: November 25, 2019, 06:37:56 am »
If Arsenal had any sense, they'd go for Rafa. He'd sort them out and get them back into the top 4 on a shit budget.
And if Rafa had any sense, he wouldn't touch that job with a 10-foot pole.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #54245 on: November 25, 2019, 06:56:19 am »
Arsenal’s next move couldn’t be more obvious now.  If they haven’t already reached out to Pochettino, hell mend them.

1. I can’t see how he’d ‘fix’ Arsenal. There are significant problems with the squad and the owners and management structure aren’t set up to sort that out.

2. Pochettino needs a job where he’s guaranteed a trophy for his own CV. Or at least take on a job for one of the main clubs in a two-horse race. And winning the FA Cup (or League Cup) for Arsenal wouldn’t satisfy the fans - Wenger did that a few times and it didn’t save him.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #54246 on: November 25, 2019, 07:06:50 am »
1. I can’t see how he’d ‘fix’ Arsenal. There are significant problems with the squad and the owners and management structure aren’t set up to sort that out.

2. Pochettino needs a job where he’s guaranteed a trophy for his own CV. Or at least take on a job for one of the main clubs in a two-horse race. And winning the FA Cup (or League Cup) for Arsenal wouldn’t satisfy the fans - Wenger did that a few times and it didn’t save him.

If they're not happy with a FA Cup or League Cup, they'll be unhappy for a long time
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54247 on: November 25, 2019, 07:18:15 am »
And Tottenham aren't a step up from any of the jobs that Mourinho has previously had or has been offered recently, at least according to him. And yet he still went there.

Like him or loathe him, Mourinho is one of the most successful managers in football and with his reputation he can take a job like Spurs knowing if it all goes tits up he’s still won leagues and cups across Europe.

He’s like Ancelotti in that respect. And Rafa. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54248 on: November 25, 2019, 07:55:33 am »
If they're not happy with a FA Cup or League Cup, they'll be unhappy for a long time

And I think they will be unhappy for a long time. There is so much wrong at Arsenal and it’s not going to be fixed with a few players or a new manager.

When Wenger took over he was challenging against Ferguson’s United team and his attacking play, solid defence and ideas about diet and training won him the league. Arsenal fell behind when they developed the Emirates and United splashed the cash and Abramovich used his oil money to financially dope Chelsea into the top levels of English and European football.

Now they appear to be willing to spend more money on players, but the legacy of Wenger’s absolute control of the football side and Dein leaving is a club that is miles behind Liverpool and City as an organisation designed to win trophies.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #54249 on: November 25, 2019, 08:03:32 am »
I really hoped rafa would of got his feet under the table somewhere by now and got to work his managerial magic and get the plaudits he deserves.
Every time I hear his name mentioned with clubs underperforming it's a bit depressing!
He really deserved a decent club somewhere after what he did for us.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:06:15 am by pezzzer »
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54250 on: November 25, 2019, 08:12:58 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l2clvKiIHjM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l2clvKiIHjM</a>

Shite him.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54251 on: November 25, 2019, 08:21:09 am »
No club whose supporters are dissatisfied with the owners will hire Rafa.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54252 on: November 25, 2019, 08:43:16 am »
And I think they will be unhappy for a long time. There is so much wrong at Arsenal and it’s not going to be fixed with a few players or a new manager.

When Wenger took over he was challenging against Ferguson’s United team and his attacking play, solid defence and ideas about diet and training won him the league. Arsenal fell behind when they developed the Emirates and United splashed the cash and Abramovich used his oil money to financially dope Chelsea into the top levels of English and European football.

Now they appear to be willing to spend more money on players, but the legacy of Wenger’s absolute control of the football side and Dein leaving is a club that is miles behind Liverpool and City as an organisation designed to win trophies.

I still dont think its a massive overhaul that Arsenal need. They've lost their way, they've lost confidence in what's happening right now, & in the manager. But there's still a decent base of players there for any new manager to work with. This is by in large a squad that was 1 point off top 4 6 months ago. Leno, Tierney, Bellerin, Geundouzi, Torriera, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, more youngsters coming through like Martinelli, Saka, Willock, Nelson, Saliba to arrive in 6 months....you can't tell me most managers wouldn't like to have those options available to them?

The squad's still in imbalanced though, lacking pace & power in midfield & central defence, lacking defensive nous, structure & organisation. I'm not naive enough to think there's not a lot of work to do, buy you can't tell me however that most managers worth their salt wouldn't fancy a crack at the job. That they can improve on what we are seeing right now.

As for the structure behind the manager, it's too early to judge the new regime. This is Sanllehi's first full year in his new role, Edu only arrived after the Copa America in the summer, so they need to be given time. This was never going to be a quick fix, & at least in their dealings in the summer etc they show they are thinking about the long term. I don't think they expected this short term pain though in the meantime. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:08:46 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54253 on: November 25, 2019, 11:25:41 am »
Leno has been a good signing too. I know he's one on RAWK's shit player list like Pulisic, but he's been one of the few positives for them. The guy faces a shit-ton of shots every game too, far more than pretty much any goalie in the league, he's one of the least of their worries.

Gunedouzi is class. Tierney might turn out good for them, but otherwise i agree! Far to many misses, and strange big money splurges on players who surely where not priorities - like Auba at the time - although to be fair, he ended up being one of the few plus points. But also Pepe, they may have needed a winger, but the state of their defence, they could have spread the cash so much better, the contract for Özil too was so badly judged.

They are all over the place decision making wise.

Even with Leno, they sold Szczesny a year earlier for half what they paid for Leno, so not really great business still.

Guendouzi was a good deal.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54254 on: November 25, 2019, 12:18:07 pm »
I still dont think its a massive overhaul that Arsenal need. They've lost their way, they've lost confidence in what's happening right now, & in the manager. But there's still a decent base of players there for any new manager to work with. This is by in large a squad that was 1 point off top 4 6 months ago. Leno, Tierney, Bellerin, Geundouzi, Torriera, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, more youngsters coming through like Martinelli, Saka, Willock, Nelson, Saliba to arrive in 6 months....you can't tell me most managers wouldn't like to have those options available to them?

The squad's still in imbalanced though, lacking pace & power in midfield & central defence, lacking defensive nous, structure & organisation. I'm not naive enough to think there's not a lot of work to do, buy you can't tell me however that most managers worth their salt wouldn't fancy a crack at the job. That they can improve on what we are seeing right now.

As for the structure behind the manager, it's too early to judge the new regime. This is Sanllehi's first full year in his new role, Edu only arrived after the Copa America in the summer, so they need to be given time. This was never going to be a quick fix, & at least in their dealings in the summer etc they show they are thinking about the long term. I don't think they expected this short term pain though in the meantime. 

I agree with you. Obviously there were some big mistakes stretching back a few seasons including Ozil and Sanchez/Mkhi but it didn't stop arsenal from spending and bringing in some pretty decent quality.

The question I have is with Auba - 31 at the end of this season and Lacazette - 29 at the end of the season - is what trajectory do they take? (Liverpool will be looking at this issue in 2 years as well). Auba is still scoring at will, and Lacazette too (when healthy).

After that it looks like the CBs need a full overhaul - and the one youngster coming in isn't going to solve everything (he needs to adapt as well).

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54255 on: November 25, 2019, 02:59:30 pm »
I agree with you. Obviously there were some big mistakes stretching back a few seasons including Ozil and Sanchez/Mkhi but it didn't stop arsenal from spending and bringing in some pretty decent quality.

The question I have is with Auba - 31 at the end of this season and Lacazette - 29 at the end of the season - is what trajectory do they take? (Liverpool will be looking at this issue in 2 years as well). Auba is still scoring at will, and Lacazette too (when healthy).

After that it looks like the CBs need a full overhaul - and the one youngster coming in isn't going to solve everything (he needs to adapt as well).

I think the club will go back in for a new central defender in January, (providing they have the funds) they bid for Upamecano before and are linked with guys like Dermiral. However, they need to get the structure & mix in midfield right, they could have Baresi & Maldini in defence & they'd still struggle with the space the opposition have to run at the defence.

It's a big summer with regards Auba & perhaps Lacazette. Auba is out of contract the summer of 2021, but if he doesnt sign an extension he needs to leave, we can't let another big player run down his contract. I like both players but i dont think anyone we currently have is irreplaceable.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54256 on: November 25, 2019, 03:52:28 pm »
Here's......Troopz! Weird outfit too. Love how he sticks up for the fans at all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbS4qsmcI20

The comments making fun of Troopz are gold.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:57:16 pm by newterp »

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #54257 on: November 25, 2019, 07:38:04 pm »
But Allegri would get them organized far better than what Emery can muster

More smoke today about Allegri. Can anybody explain exactly why he left Juve, and why he is not doing anything right now? Seems odd

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #54258 on: November 25, 2019, 08:24:54 pm »
More smoke today about Allegri. Can anybody explain exactly why he left Juve, and why he is not doing anything right now? Seems odd
He heard a rumor there might be s vacancy at goodison?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #54259 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:09 pm »

Basically both parties wanted a split. Allegri wanted a new challenge and had complaints about recruitment. Juventus wanted to do better in the CL , players were tired of his methods and fans wanted a better style of play

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #54260 on: November 25, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »
Basically both parties wanted a split. Allegri wanted a new challenge and had complaints about recruitment. Juventus wanted to do better in the CL , players were tired of his methods and fans wanted a better style of play
Thx - seeing 4 straight league titles, and a CL final among other things, you would think everyone would be happy.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54261 on: November 25, 2019, 08:50:45 pm »
Just waiting for the inevitable to happen.
Believer

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #54262 on: November 26, 2019, 08:59:37 am »

#emeryout
#partridgeout
#danout
'Nuff said...

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54263 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:39 am »
Seen this getting passed round yesterday, no idea if it's true but really damning if it is!

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54264 on: November 26, 2019, 01:03:05 pm »
Why not? Was Newcastle a better job and is his current one?

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54265 on: November 26, 2019, 03:07:32 pm »
Seen this getting passed round yesterday, no idea if it's true but really damning if it is!

The team has given away 71 shots in the last 3 games.   I believe bottom of the table Watford had 31 shots against the team, and gifted Southampton 21 shots when I believe they managed 6 shots in their last three games before that put together.  It's a shambles.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54266 on: November 26, 2019, 03:14:28 pm »
I think the club will go back in for a new central defender in January, (providing they have the funds) they bid for Upamecano before and are linked with guys like Dermiral. However, they need to get the structure & mix in midfield right, they could have Baresi & Maldini in defence & they'd still struggle with the space the opposition have to run at the defence.,

It's a big summer with regards Auba & perhaps Lacazette. Auba is out of contract the summer of 2021, but if he doesnt sign an extension he needs to leave, we can't let another big player run down his contract. I like both players but i dont think anyone we currently have is irreplaceable.

I'm not sure it is.  Look at Leicester City, they don't have any player near Auba or Laca, they have a 34 year old Vardy who is putting in work, making runs and knows he has the team behind him to back him up.  Liverpool went into the wilderness for years and averaged 7th place in the PL from 2008 to 2013, Leicester sacked Ranieri after his PL win - same with Mourinho (twice) at Chelsea.  The end of the day the club need to salvage the season, there are enough decent players to still secure top 4 but they need to do it sooner rather than later. 

Emery doesn't have them playing as a team - they were mind you, for a bit last season - but they've clearly had yet another mental collapse after the Europa final, with the constant behind the scenes drama with Ozil and Xhaka hardly helping him.  I thought it was Neymar's doing at PSG in the drama created there, but it is starting to look like a trend.

Honestly though it's quite funny in a way.  It's like watching a slow motion car crash and not being able to look away.  Some of the ex-players like Adams and Wright seem exasperated at the basics the team can't manage.    Would be nice to see Emery gone before the Xmas fixtures since they're so many of them, a manager bounce could be useful - but if the club goes into January with the same manager why would any new player want to sign for an unstable team with a gaffer who is practically out of the door.  Robbie should be rubbing his hands together over at AFTV  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:16:33 pm by Ashburton »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54267 on: November 26, 2019, 03:18:34 pm »

Arsenal could be a great project for Rafa. They have at least some financial muscle, internally they seem to need a bit of an overhaul but that's what he does, they're a mess defensively which he would improve immensely you'd expect and he'd get plenty of time.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54268 on: November 26, 2019, 03:22:13 pm »
Rafa had to suffer under the Tumors shredding our club. He fought hard for us. Then he had to suffer under Mike Ashley who never won over their fans (granted, his influence has two sides). He fought hard for their fans. It's energy sapping. Why would Rafa even consider going to Arsenal in the current state of affairs? He needs a good job, which Arsenal is, but he does not need the shit show that comes with it.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54269 on: November 26, 2019, 04:08:12 pm »
Rafa knows he's not winning the league ahead of us either.....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54270 on: November 26, 2019, 05:37:31 pm »
Here's......Troopz! Weird outfit too. Love how he sticks up for the fans at all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbS4qsmcI20

The comments making fun of Troopz are gold.

Amazing monologue on the terrifying, and hitherto unrevealed, link between supporting Arsenal and smoking lots and lots of joints in order to endure the football.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54271 on: November 26, 2019, 06:04:27 pm »
Been a long time since I've seen a manager that is this sunk, miraculous that he is still in a job to be honest.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #54272 on: November 27, 2019, 07:53:18 am »
Been a long time since I've seen a manager that is this sunk, miraculous that he is still in a job to be honest.
Aside from Mark Silver and Super Ole you mean? Tis the season of out of their depth managers!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54273 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:19 am »
Aside from Mark Silver and Super Ole you mean? Tis the season of out of their depth managers!
Tum Sherwood wasn't that long ago either.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54274 on: November 27, 2019, 10:47:35 am »
Rafa had to suffer under the Tumors shredding our club. He fought hard for us. Then he had to suffer under Mike Ashley who never won over their fans (granted, his influence has two sides). He fought hard for their fans. It's energy sapping. Why would Rafa even consider going to Arsenal in the current state of affairs? He needs a good job, which Arsenal is, but he does not need the shit show that comes with it.

I don't quite get this narrative that seems to be getting painted of the Arsenal ownership / structure.

We are owned by Stan Kronke. Its true, he's not pumped millions of his own money into Arsenal, and he is known as an absent owner, but hes picked a management team to run the club as they see fit, overseen by his son Josh who is becoming more involved. Surely the fact the owner doesn't get himself involved in the day to day stuff is an attraction to a top class manager, rather than a hindrance?

As for the management structure, it's Sanhelli, Vinai, and Edu's first full year in their current roles. You can see they already working to a plan, getting talented, younger players and edging out some of the older, more well paid players, and trying to get a more balance within the squad. It's a fair amount of turnover that was never going to happen in 1 year.

Im just not seeing the shambles supposedly from the full owner / management structure that many are claiming. I don't see why any top class manager / coach wouldn't fancy themselves to turn things around.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54275 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:25 pm »
I don't quite get this narrative that seems to be getting painted of the Arsenal ownership / structure.

We are owned by Stan Kronke. Its true, he's not pumped millions of his own money into Arsenal, and he is known as an absent owner, but hes picked a management team to run the club as they see fit, overseen by his son Josh who is becoming more involved. Surely the fact the owner doesn't get himself involved in the day to day stuff is an attraction to a top class manager, rather than a hindrance?

As for the management structure, it's Sanhelli, Vinai, and Edu's first full year in their current roles. You can see they already working to a plan, getting talented, younger players and edging out some of the older, more well paid players, and trying to get a more balance within the squad. It's a fair amount of turnover that was never going to happen in 1 year.

Im just not seeing the shambles supposedly from the full owner / management structure that many are claiming. I don't see why any top class manager / coach wouldn't fancy themselves to turn things around.
First off, no offense, mate. I have respect for Arsenal. You're going through a tough patch, but what club doesn't have those...

I'm not claiming anything on the internal structure, mate, because I know fuck all about it. But you have to admit that the dealings in the last several years have not been up to prior standards. The people brought in before were selected with a vision, brought in young and developed and gelled in the side. Of late, it seems (on the outside) as a patch job. I have no clue if this was a consequence or a reaction of Usmanov leaving, Kroenke becoming a sole owner or what, but something seems off. A lot of key players contracts were allowed to run down. The new players are over their peaks or don't quite fitting the style. Which is I don't know what under Emery. The club is losing value. That to me, again without knowing any of the internal affairs, seems as a club structure issue. Sure, you can tweak things, bring new people to fix it, and you will as Arsenal is a big club and I'm sure it will recover. But you need someone to buy into the model, the path to recover, the new club philosophy, the goals. And for Rafa, being burned twice already with not to dissimilar issues, I don't see a path forward.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #54276 on: November 28, 2019, 02:25:52 am »
It's really not that complicated.

If the new manager is supported with the money and strong scouting networks to get the right players in, it's a great project. If not, it's not.

I don't think Arsenal's too far away from starting to turn it around. The first step is to make sure they get the right long-term manager in, and I think in that context they're doing the right thing to hold off on sacking Emery until they can be assured of getting their preferred candidate.

Then, it's a matter of gradually getting the right players/staff in over the course of years, as we have. It's not going to be easy, but by the time Jurgen (unless we can persuade him otherwise) and Guardiola leave Liverpool and City in 2-3 years, they might be in a decent place to challenge again.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54277 on: November 28, 2019, 04:50:54 pm »
It's really not that complicated.

If the new manager is supported with the money and strong scouting networks to get the right players in, it's a great project. If not, it's not.

I don't think Arsenal's too far away from starting to turn it around. The first step is to make sure they get the right long-term manager in, and I think in that context they're doing the right thing to hold off on sacking Emery until they can be assured of getting their preferred candidate.

Then, it's a matter of gradually getting the right players/staff in over the course of years, as we have. It's not going to be easy, but by the time Jurgen (unless we can persuade him otherwise) and Guardiola leave Liverpool and City in 2-3 years, they might be in a decent place to challenge again.

Thing is though, Guardiola has a style of play, an ethos - you back him, he gets results.  He's shown that at three of the most well resourced clubs in the world.  Klopp has a style of play, an ethos - you back him, he gets results.  He's showing what the board, fans and players get when you put that support towards the same goal.

With Emery - he isn't a nobody who just arrived on the scene, he had a huge value after his Europa cups for Sevilla and regardless of what we think of his time at PSG - I was actually quite keen to see what he could do with this team.  I don't know if it's language, or he can't get the players to commit - but the play we're seeing on the pitch is an absolute disgrace for a club as well resourced as Arsenal is.  The attack is disjointed, two of the most expensive players are outcasts and the defence is shambolic. That is hardly what you want to see.

I actually think Emery's 'turning point' was the Crystal Palace game last season where he arrogantly started a bunch of 2nd team players who were nowhere near good enough on the day - and then ended up thumped, contributing to losing the CL spot by 1 point, and then getting humiliated in the Europa final.  To me, there was something seriously wrong.  He's had his summer, has a fortune of new players - not that you'd know it as they're playing like a bunch of cloggers. 

In my mind the only way to actually fix this is to see an improvement in play by January or he needs to leave.  I have very little confidence he'd drag this team back to the top 4 or a Europa win otherwise.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #54278 on: November 28, 2019, 09:42:17 pm »
issa joke fam

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #54279 on: November 28, 2019, 09:55:44 pm »
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.