Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 313148 times)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #1680 on: March 6, 2023, 08:03:00 pm »
Starting to blossom in to The Real McCoy isn't he  ;D

I see what you did there ;D

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: March 6, 2023, 08:04:00 pm »
The first goal was exquisite, Robben would be proud of that composure. The second was pure brilliance.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #1682 on: March 6, 2023, 08:11:54 pm »
I'm not sold on him (at all). But those were 2 class finishes.

Second one was flashier, but the first one more encouraging for his long term prospects. Being able to create space off the dribble for a shot in the box is going to be a skill he needs if he isn't going to run behind defenses consistently. 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: March 6, 2023, 08:18:06 pm »

:wellin
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: March 6, 2023, 08:26:18 pm »

;D ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1685 on: March 6, 2023, 08:27:25 pm »

Second one was flashier, but the first one more encouraging for his long term prospects. Being able to create space off the dribble for a shot in the box is going to be a skill he needs if he isn't going to run behind defenses consistently.

you certainly do have some ‘interesting’ takes  ;D

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1686 on: March 6, 2023, 08:30:11 pm »

Could you elaborate on what you aren't sold on, and why?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: March 6, 2023, 08:39:21 pm »
Fucks sake Bob.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #1688 on: March 6, 2023, 08:43:16 pm »
Could you elaborate on what you aren't sold on, and why?

He has an odd skill set in my view....he strikes the ball really well and seems like a natural finisher, but he doesn't make runs behind the defense and he's not a winger who can leave a defender in the dust in a 1v1 matchup. Seems like he is being groomed for the Firmino role which is our #10, and that makes sense given the above....and yet he's also not really a creator either (very pedestrian assist/passing numbers). And since our #10 has to do a lot of dirty work, his lack of physicality and aggression is a concern for me as well.

I'm very curious to see what happens when Jota is 100% fit and Diaz is back. Neither play the Firmino role and yet I don't see how you can play Gakpo ahead of those 2.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1689 on: March 6, 2023, 08:47:44 pm »
He has an odd skill set in my view....he strikes the ball really well and seems like a natural finisher, but he doesn't make runs behind the defense and he's not a winger who can leave a defender in the dust in a 1v1 matchup. Seems like he is being groomed for the Firmino role which is our #10, and that makes sense given the above....and yet he's also not really a creator either (very pedestrian assist/passing numbers). And since our #10 has to do a lot of dirty work, his lack of physicality and aggression is a concern for me as well.

I'm very curious to see what happens when Jota is 100% fit and Diaz is back. Neither play the Firmino role and yet I don't see how you can play Gakpo ahead of those 2.

Did he not run in behind the defence for both his goals yesterday  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: March 6, 2023, 08:49:39 pm »

Yeah but.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: March 6, 2023, 08:51:07 pm »
The lack of time and patience afforded to Nunez and Gakpo by some this season has been almost unbelievable. I suppose it's just the way society is these days though. Too many expect everything, and they expect it now. Little or no time is given for players to settle and bed in. Little or no time afforded them to develop understandings with teammates and adapt to new surroundings and ways of playing.

Too many expect robots, not human beings.
I  Kinda always expect a little time to get up speed coming in(expect probably goalkeeper). Like it takes time to learn all the pressing.
Have just look for some positives early on and build from it imo. Nunez could see he was insane shot creator, but couldnt finish etc. Gapko saw flashes of his link play but had a dysfunctional MF behind him.
Elliott Can see his ability to play in tight spaces, passing ability etc but his defensive part of game was not there to be expected by a 19 year old who hasnt play a lot of MF at the youth level

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: March 6, 2023, 09:11:12 pm »
he'll be complaining about Cody's gait next.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: March 6, 2023, 09:24:43 pm »
Anyone else wondering why Liverpool have brought tall strikers?

Cody and Darwin looking to form the next front line for us in the coming years, and both absolute goliaths. Diaz ain't short either.

Are the stat gurus or Klopp seeing a trend in the game towards big speedy men up front being the norm for top class sides? As the game becomes ever faster and more physical, does this indicate us ensuring we keep up with the changing game?

One thing I noticed yesterday was just how physical Cody looked, overcoming constant haranguing and pressing from a few Man Utd players at one time. Didn't look phased, and contributed to our goals. A sign of things to come for striker lineups?
« Last Edit: March 6, 2023, 09:28:01 pm by mattD »

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: March 6, 2023, 09:45:42 pm »
he'll be complaining about Cody's gait next.

Now he does have a very strange gait.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: March 6, 2023, 09:47:23 pm »
Now he does have a very strange gait.

When he swings his hips,his head and feet and 13ft apart.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1696 on: March 6, 2023, 11:17:36 pm »
I had big doubts about him. Never wrote him off since doing it so early is always a silly thing to do. Changing from a winger to a false 9 like Bobby looks like it may be a master stroke. He’s starting to get confident and performances have massively improved.

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #1697 on: March 7, 2023, 01:15:37 am »

Is there anybody with Cody’s combination of attributes in this league? Or anywhere?

Perhaps similar to when Yaya Toure would play as a 10 for Abu Dahbi. The height/strength/athleticism/technique combination is quite rare.
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline Cheesy Peas

• Boys Pen
  • They're great for your teas
« Reply #1698 on: March 7, 2023, 02:05:27 am »
He needs a song... a really good one. :)

Cocody Rock by Alpha Blondy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiasxQqhiWE

Co co, co co, Cody Gakpo
Co co, co co, a goal scoring master

Co co, co co, Cody Gakpo
Co co, co co, a big handsome b@stard

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1699 on: March 7, 2023, 02:27:46 am »
The lack of time and patience afforded to Nunez and Gakpo by some this season has been almost unbelievable. I suppose it's just the way society is these days though. Too many expect everything, and they expect it now. Little or no time is given for players to settle and bed in. Little or no time afforded them to develop understandings with teammates and adapt to new surroundings and ways of playing.

Too many expect robots, not human beings.

Its not just Nunez and Gakpo, the crap that came for Harvey is still going on. There's a genuine lack of patience. There's this newer breed of fans, especially on social media that want us to be like Chelsea wherein I cannot fathom a universe where I'll be okay with that. Players take time, some moves dont work out and that's normal, but to me, as long as a player is still here, if you are one of the people saying stuff like "get out of my club","*** is a disgrace to the club", etc. for just having a poor game, then in my eyes, you are supporting the wrong club because that is just never okay.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: March 7, 2023, 04:27:20 am »
That was by far his best game for us. He's been playing well recently, hopefully he can push on from here.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1701 on: March 7, 2023, 05:51:07 am »

Cody and Darwin looking to form the next front line for us in the coming years, and both absolute goliaths. Diaz ain't short either.

Are the stat gurus or Klopp seeing a trend in the game towards big speedy men up front being the norm for top class sides? As the game becomes ever faster and more physical, does this indicate us ensuring we keep up with the changing game?

One thing I noticed yesterday was just how physical Cody looked, overcoming constant haranguing and pressing from a few Man Utd players at one time. Didn't look phased, and contributed to our goals. A sign of things to come for striker lineups?

Maybe he’s fed up of getting a crick in his neck looking down at short players.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1702 on: March 7, 2023, 07:06:15 am »
Some people arent sold on Salah either. LFC has a lot of fans.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: March 7, 2023, 08:25:57 am »
:lmao as if the 'pass numbers' is being wheeled out again!

What is it he's played, 8 games? Is patience really this dead in football now

Sublime in that game and I dare not mention his link up play for fear of being bombarded with statistics

Credit to Carragher, he's become very irritating in the last few years but his little analysis on Gakpos role in that game was a nice watch

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
« Reply #1704 on: March 7, 2023, 08:44:09 am »

Darwin is powerful, a physical monster. With that said he seems about at the midpoint height wise for srikers.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: March 7, 2023, 08:59:57 am »
I was pretty impressed with his contribution after watching the highlights, but much more so after seeing the whole game. He was omnipresent, pressed very hard, demonstrated excellent composure and unexpected speed. Probably our second best player on the pitch after Mo who was unplayable. Impressive game, just stay fit and sky is the limit.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: March 7, 2023, 10:50:16 am »
Darwin is powerful, a physical monster. With that said he seems about at the midpoint height wise for srikers.

He's 6ft 2in, that hasn't been the midpoint height wise for strikers since the mid 2000s  ;D

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: March 7, 2023, 10:56:13 am »
I've been waiting to see a finish like he had for the first. He strikes the ball so cleanly.

Oddly enough, his overall play wasn't that great in my opinion, but when you can score those two goals, who really cares?

You are joking right? His all round play has been brilliant for a lad just settling into a new team and system.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1708 on: March 7, 2023, 11:09:16 am »
Gakpo is a surprisingly quick player who can cover a lot of ground with ease. He is strong when he has the ball and once he beats a player he leaves them for dead. His touch and skill is up there with the best and he’s going to be a big hit.
#JFT97

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
« Reply #1709 on: March 7, 2023, 11:39:44 am »
He's 6ft 2in, that hasn't been the midpoint height wise for strikers since the mid 2000s  ;D

It might well not be the midpoint but I just don't think of Darwin as particularly tall,  nor do I think it's as outdated as you suggest.
Haaland, Weghorst, Isak, Mitrovic, Edouard, Havertz, Wood, Ferguson, Wellbeck, Solanke,  Calvert Lewin, Kane, Onuachu, Gakpo, Jimenez all seem taller or about the same height.  There are likely more (and no doubt plenty who are shorter of course)

He's about the height of Torres, who I never thought as a particularly tall striker.  It's all relative though and probably not that important  ;D.

Anyway, it's the Gakpo thread and he is tall.  The question I quoted about whether or not we are seeking out taller forwards deliberately is a valid/interesting one (and one I don't really know the answer to).

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: March 7, 2023, 12:40:04 pm »
:lmao as if the 'pass numbers' is being wheeled out again!

What is it he's played, 8 games? Is patience really this dead in football now

Sublime in that game and I dare not mention his link up play for fear of being bombarded with statistics

Credit to Carragher, he's become very irritating in the last few years but his little analysis on Gakpos role in that game was a nice watch

I don't see it as just patience though -- some ppl lose their shit if every single player we bring in isn't
(a) best in the world in their position
(b) a total game changer
(c) flawless in every game.

the level of entitlement is ludicrous.  we could field a team consisting of every legend we've ever had - in their pure prime - and some twats would whinge nonstop. 

it'd be really amusing if it wasn't so annoying and pathetic.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: March 7, 2023, 12:43:09 pm »

you might be 100% correct, but I'm curious where you got that stat from?  :)

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: March 7, 2023, 12:52:40 pm »
I don't see it as just patience though -- some ppl lose their shit if every single player we bring in isn't
(a) best in the world in their position
(b) a total game changer
(c) flawless in every game.

the level of entitlement is ludicrous.  we could field a team consisting of every legend we've ever had - in their pure prime - and some twats would whinge nonstop. 

it'd be really amusing if it wasn't so annoying and pathetic.

No hat trick on his debut?

'He had his chance and he blew it'.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: March 7, 2023, 12:59:14 pm »
It might well not be the midpoint but I just don't think of Darwin as particularly tall,  nor do I think it's as outdated as you suggest.
Haaland, Weghorst, Isak, Mitrovic, Edouard, Havertz, Wood, Ferguson, Wellbeck, Solanke,  Calvert Lewin, Kane, Onuachu, Gakpo, Jimenez all seem taller or about the same height.  There are likely more (and no doubt plenty who are shorter of course)

He's about the height of Torres, who I never thought as a particularly tall striker.  It's all relative though and probably not that important  ;D.

Anyway, it's the Gakpo thread and he is tall.  The question I quoted about whether or not we are seeking out taller forwards deliberately is a valid/interesting one (and one I don't really know the answer to).

Well obviously if you pick out all the tall strikers in the league then he's going to be around the same height as them  ;D There's countless shortarses playing upfront as well  ;D

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: March 7, 2023, 12:59:57 pm »
you might be 100% correct, but I'm curious where you got that stat from?  :)

From my arse. Just look around the leagues, plenty shortarses playing upfront.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: March 7, 2023, 01:06:50 pm »
Bonafide replacement for Firmino straight away is brilliant recruitment, has all the tools as the false 9.

Going to be so exciting watching another Klopp team being built before our eyes whatever the outcome this season I'm feeling excited again like it's going to be summer 2016 again when Klopp signed Mane, Gini and Matip, we are going to be so fucking good these next 3-4 seasons under Klopp.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: March 7, 2023, 01:07:24 pm »
From my arse. Just look around the leagues, plenty shortarses playing upfront.

yet you state it like it's a fact.  :)

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: March 7, 2023, 01:09:34 pm »
yet you state it like it's a fact.  :)

Countering another ''fact'' that was plucked from another arse.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: March 7, 2023, 01:12:19 pm »
Countering another ''fact'' that was plucked from another arse.
ok got it. 

RAWK should have an automatic "arse fact" smiley.  :)

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1719 on: March 7, 2023, 01:46:21 pm »
I'll go as far as to say I believe some posters in this forum don't appear to have a future here, I can't see what talents they bring and what their contribution might be in the future. I may be wrong so what I will do is wait until they display their full potential and then I may comment further.
aarf, aarf, aarf.