Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4570107 times)

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: The Malevolent Orange Ball of Gas. Squirrel!
« Reply #24040 on: March 23, 2017, 09:24:07 pm »
Trump's interview with Time magazine.

The beginning:

The conclusion:

Stuff in the middle about how he's now been proved right about wiretapping is just batshit crazy too: http://time.com/4710456/donald-trump-time-interview-truth-falsehood

edit: oh, the cover:

That interview is just a mess. It's basically Trump rambling on incoherently about how great he is and how everything he says is right and the interviewer asking questions Trump has answered and lied about two sentences earlier. That's no use. You really have to have a go at Trump. Tell him he can't just quote stuff and then distance himself when things are going tits up. Ask him about what happened to his great instincts when he invested in all those businesses that failed miserably. If you are not prepared to do that you might as well not interview Trump.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24041 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:05 pm »

i imagine that's the face he pulls when he has a rather large poo

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24042 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:33 pm »
Out of curiosity, i'm trying to find a forum for conservative Americans. I'm quite curious about what their Trump conversations are like.

Anyone know of a half decent one?

like i've tried going through a few but wtafhomg like these from a few threads i went through on conservativesforum.com

Further proof of what we already know. The left has an agenda it pursues relentlessly whether in or out of office.
Call it the deep state if you wish. Presidents come and go.

One thing, the last four U. S. Presidents worked tirelessly to achieve national heroin addiction. That might be putting it charitably, especially if we may concede that ball got rolling under JFK, maybe even in 1947 with the start of the CIA.

Some have even said that programs were imported straight from Nazi Germany, following WWII. If we look closely at the five media companies, today, each patterns exactly the paradigm of the Third Reich.

The three phases of Ryancare, we will never ever see phase two or three. For years now we have heard from Republicans they will repeal Obamacare. Well now they have the House, the Senate, the Presidency and all they can come up with is this sorry *ssed excuse of a "Repeal"? I think what we are witnessing is a veiled Fascist Government disguised as a Republic/Democracy. There is nothing free or Democratic anymore.

I think the Democrats have salted the mine with Liberal Federal Judges scattered around the several Districts of the US Court System.  It is obvious that, rather than apply our existing laws, in context of our Constitution, they are making their own new laws, by judicial fiat!

Defunding and "going after" Sanctuary Cities in other creative ways, will be obstructed by activist judges, just as they are obstructing Trump's constitutionally temporary immigration suspensipon, form designated terrorist countries.

The Supreme Court is lopsided in favor of the Activist Liberals.  Trump will need Neil Gosuch seated at the SCOTUS to have a better chance of successfully overruling legal challenges which will surely come as soon as he takes any action against Sanctuary  Cities (or pretty much tries to do anything else).

Soon..though...very soon!

:rollseyes
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:52:49 pm by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24043 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:38 pm »
Out of curiosity, i'm trying to find a forum for conservative Americans. I'm quite curious about what their Trump conversations are like.

I imagine it will be like GOT x 1,000,000,000,000
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #24044 on: March 23, 2017, 09:48:44 pm »
Would that be the poplar vote or the electoral college?  ;).
Pollsters have been shooting wide of the mark quite a lot lately. Until they get their shit together, I'm not paying them much heed.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24045 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:36 pm »
Pollsters have been shooting wide of the mark quite a lot lately. Until they get their shit together, I'm not paying them much heed.

All polls in western countries should now come with an automatic "secret racist" adjustment.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24046 on: March 23, 2017, 10:47:50 pm »
 :) :)
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24047 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:40 pm »
And not a single Black face.

That might be a Hispanic guy in the foreground. Or an Asian. Or a white guy with black hair. So many possibilities, it's tremendous.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24048 on: March 24, 2017, 12:01:33 am »
[Trump]: Yeah, it’s a cool story. I mean it’s, the concept is right. I predicted a lot of things, Michael. Some things that came to you a little bit later. But, you know, we just rolled out a list. Sweden. I make the statement, everyone goes crazy. The next day they have a massive riot, and death, and problems. Huma [Abedin] and Anthony [Weiner], you know, what I tweeted about that whole deal, and then it turned out he had it, all of Hillary’s email on his thing. NATO, obsolete, because it doesn’t cover terrorism. They fixed that, and I said that the allies must pay. Nobody knew that they weren’t paying. I did. I figured it. Brexit, I was totally right about that. You were over there I think, when I predicted that, right, the day before. Brussels, I said, Brussels is not Brussels. I mean many other things, the election’s rigged against Bernie Sanders. We have a lot of things.

huh? WHAT? It's just so tiring, I cannot understand what in the blind fuck he is talking about. Riot, death, problems? Nobody kn...

STOP IT, GreatEx. It's like looking at the sun. Except a lot less brilliant.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24049 on: March 24, 2017, 12:03:45 am »
No, I have, look. I have articles saying it happened. But you have to take a look at what they, they just went out at a news conference. Devin Nunes had a news conference. I mean I don’t know, I was unable to see it, because I am at meetings, but they just had a news conference talking about surveillance. Now again, it is in quotes. That means surveillance and various other things. And the New York Times had a front-page story, which they actually reduced, they took it, they took it the word wiretapping out of the title, but its first story in the front page of the paper was wiretapping. And a lot of information has just been learned, and a lot of information may be learned over the next coming period of time. We will see what happens. Look. I predicted a lot of things that took a little of bit of time. Here, headline, for the front page of the New York Times, "Wiretapped data used in inquiry of Trump aides." That’s a headline. Now they then dropped that headline, I never saw this until this morning. They then dropped that headline, and they used another headline without the word wiretap, but they did mean wiretap. Wiretapped data used in inquiry. Then changed after that, they probably didn’t like it. And they changed the title. They took the wiretap word out.

I am dead. My brains are all over the monitor. RIP me.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #24050 on: March 24, 2017, 12:03:56 am »

Stormfront  ;D

Free Republic has long been a bastion of conservative derp.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24051 on: March 24, 2017, 12:08:40 am »
New poll shows Trump slipping further, even among Republicans

Polls mean shit until 2020.

He's the current POTUSA and there is no way he'll be culled by the GOP.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #24052 on: March 24, 2017, 12:10:10 am »
Pathetic.

The main reason Replace isn't passing is because the right wing thinks it's not Draconian enough.

But they're dealing.

The face saving move is to maintain the status quo and kick the can down the road.

But this is Trump TV.

Kill the humourless

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #24053 on: March 24, 2017, 12:12:33 am »
I think its fascinating that the GOP allowed a lunatic fringe to take such a strong foothold in their party that the most regressive health reform rich guy tax cut in decades that the leadership introduced has almost no chance of passing because the lunatic fringe will not negotiate at all on the topic.

The ironing is delicious.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #24054 on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:53 am »
From the NPR twitter:
Mulvaney(OMB Director) told lawmakers that if House approval does not happen Friday, Trump is moving on and leaving Affordable Care Act in place.

I will believe it when I see it.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24055 on: March 24, 2017, 02:37:12 am »
CNN are quoting "a senior White House offical" as saying, "Trump has increasing concerns about how House speaker has handled this process". NYT's White House correspondent Maggie Haberman adds that the vote tomorrow is because Bannon demanded that Ryan hold it and Trump's now wishing he'd done tax reform first. (New York Times (should link without paywall)). She also suggests Priebus is getting some of the blame too. Seems like legislation is harder than signing proclamations. Who knew?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #24056 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:03 am »
Seems a case of letting heart rule head (troubadour) when trump promised medical help for drug addiction, which in the context of losing his son and getting obsessed over the issue of drug addiction, is understandable.

Probably the first public trump supporter you can actually  make sense of. 

His interview with Jake Tapper on CNN was very powerful.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #24057 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:08 am »
Republicans coming out of the meeting tonight look like they've all turned in favour the little c*nts, will force it through tomorrow

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #24058 on: March 24, 2017, 07:58:40 am »
"Conservatives have long wanted to reverse an Obamacare requirement that all health plans include 10 key benefits, including emergency services, drug use treatment and maternity care.
It has led some people to question why they are paying for services they say they do not need - like pediatric care for people who have no intention of having children.
Republican Senator Pat Roberts expressed that view on Thursday, when asked about the negotiations, saying: "I wouldn't want to lose my mammograms."
He later tweeted an apology: "I deeply regret my comments on a very important topic. Mammograms are essential to women's health & I never intended to indicate otherwise." "
(From the BBC)

Selfish disregard for your fellow man - or woman? Is this the American Dream? And I bet Roberts would claim to be a Christian as well
I think the education system will be next in line - why bother with  (godless?) state education when the GOP lawmakers don't use it?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #24059 on: March 24, 2017, 08:43:51 am »
"Conservatives have long wanted to reverse an Obamacare requirement that all health plans include 10 key benefits, including emergency services, drug use treatment and maternity care.
It has led some people to question why they are paying for services they say they do not need - like pediatric care for people who have no intention of having children.
Republican Senator Pat Roberts expressed that view on Thursday, when asked about the negotiations, saying: "I wouldn't want to lose my mammograms."
He later tweeted an apology: "I deeply regret my comments on a very important topic. Mammograms are essential to women's health & I never intended to indicate otherwise." "
(From the BBC)

Selfish disregard for your fellow man - or woman? Is this the American Dream? And I bet Roberts would claim to be a Christian as well
I think the education system will be next in line - why bother with  (godless?) state education when the GOP lawmakers don't use it?

I found many voices like Roberts when working in the States on a commissioning job.

They asked about our NHS but couldn't get their heads around the idea that we all pay towards it through NI and taxes and it wasn't tailored to our individual needs.

I heard comments that we were paying for all sorts of things that we would never use such as maternity units if I was single and male, or screening programmes for women.

It's a very stand on your own feet society and the idea of an NHS was too leftish or pink as they put it.

I also spoke to some workers who could see the drawbacks of their health system and one women told me that if you have a disabled child and you are not very rich you can forget having a comfortable life in the financial sense.

Trump is going to cause a lot of pain for many Americans over the next four years. Just what sort of leader they will vote for in 2020 will be very interesting. The Democrats will need to choose their candidates very carefully as the people voting will not want to be hoodwinked again.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24060 on: March 24, 2017, 09:44:26 am »
CNN story on Trump's attempts to get the healthcare bill passed:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/23/politics/trump-health-care/index.html

Difficult to work out what would be more damaging for Trump - fail to get the bill passed and look like a loser who can't close a deal, or win the vote and suffer the wrath of voters who will lose their healthcare. He is presumably most afraid of the former, but in the long term the latter might do him more damage - even if it looks good in the short term. He also seems to be expecting Paul Ryan to do all the work in getting this passed, and is seemingly lining him up as the scapegoat if it goes wrong.

Also the Republicans have got themselves into such  mess over this...some of them think it's not extreme enough, others think it's too extreme and they're under pressure from their own voters who don't want to lose their healthcare. If Trump / Ryan make concessions to please one group, they'll just alienate the other group even more.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #24061 on: March 24, 2017, 11:13:26 am »

The Canadian Girl Guides and now the Toronto School Board stop any trips to the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/24/politics/toronto-school-us-travel-ban/index.html
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #24062 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:13 am »
(From the BBC)

It's ironic that a country that wants to use insurance to provide healthcare seems to have no understanding of how insurance actually works.

Insurance works because you don't take out everything you put in and because some of 'your' premiums will be used to pay for some treatment you may not have a use for as an individual.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24063 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:27 pm »
It's ironic that a country that wants to use insurance to provide healthcare seems to have no understanding of how insurance actually works.

Insurance works because you don't take out everything you put in and because some of 'your' premiums will be used to pay for some treatment you may not have a use for as an individual.
Insurance is Communism.
Kill the humourless

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #24064 on: March 24, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »
(From the BBC)

The Republicans don't seem to understand that healthcare doesn't mean 1 of every type of service (eg mammograms) for every person. These are old, rich, theoretically well-educated men (and I assume some women too).

In that context, I'd argue their education system is already pretty f*cked.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #24065 on: March 24, 2017, 01:18:09 pm »
Seems hes trying to put pressure on using Twitter.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24066 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:15 pm »
Seems hes trying to put pressure on using Twitter.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!

There is no way he personally wrote that. The grammar is pretty accurate.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #24067 on: March 24, 2017, 01:34:28 pm »

No way that's Trump. Commas and the word 'irony?' No, sorry. SAD
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #24068 on: March 24, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »
The Republicans don't seem to understand that healthcare doesn't mean 1 of every type of service (eg mammograms) for every person. These are old, rich, theoretically well-educated men (and I assume some women too).

In that context, I'd argue their education system is already pretty f*cked.
Yes but they all went to posh private schools, a bit like the politicians in the U.K. who have cuddled up to Trump already (Gove and Farrage - Nuttall only thinks he went to a private school )
I see a commonality here!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #24069 on: March 24, 2017, 01:35:36 pm »

Was just about to write that. This is not his syntax, and it's debatable whether he even grasps the concept of irony.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24070 on: March 24, 2017, 01:41:35 pm »
I'm not sure my mother understood the irony of calling me a son of a bitch.
Kill the humourless

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24071 on: March 24, 2017, 02:16:09 pm »
I'm not sure my mother understood the irony of calling me a son of a bitch.

hahahahaha thanks for brightening my day a bit there

because while everything else is burning, why not sell my personal info to highest bidder?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/23/congress-is-poised-to-undo-landmark-rules-covering-your-internet-privacy/?utm_term=.e21c61c5581d
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #24072 on: March 24, 2017, 02:34:29 pm »
I think one of the experts summed up what is going on with health bill at the mo well.

He said the Republicans are saying that Obama did the same things to get Obamacare into law so why cant they.

The main difference is he did it to give things to people, The Republicans are doing to to take things away from people.

And it will be looked on totally differently.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24073 on: March 24, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »
I think one of the experts summed up what is going on with health bill at the mo well.

He said the Republicans are saying that Obama did the same things to get Obamacare into law so why cant they.

The main difference is he did it to give things to people, The Republicans are doing to to take things away from people.

And it will be looked on totally differently.

Obama also took a year and a half to get Obamacare passed, and reached out to the GOP in doing so. As I recall, they told him to fuck off.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #24074 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:43 pm »
Breaking: Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort has volunteered to testify before House committee probing Russia ties according to Washington Post.

Well, he'd be called in otherwise right? This way he'll be in a slightly better light I suppose. Tactics.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24075 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:21 pm »
Breaking: Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort has volunteered to testify before House committee probing Russia ties according to Washington Post.

Well, he'd be called in otherwise right? This way he'll be in a slightly better light I suppose. Tactics.

Given the self-evident bias of the chair of the committee, I wonder if there is a hope that Manafort/Nunes could share something about a confidential investigation that renders it inadmissible. Or maybe it's simple PR as you say.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #24076 on: March 24, 2017, 03:10:13 pm »

Can't wait for Chairman Nunes's tough line of questioning.
'Mr Manafort, your campaign had the unstoppable momentum of a steamtrain. Why are you so popular?'
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24077 on: March 24, 2017, 03:33:25 pm »
Can't wait for Chairman Nunes's tough line of questioning.
'Mr Manafort, your campaign had the unstoppable momentum of a steamtrain. Why are you so popular?'

That is top notch Simpsons reference  ;D
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24078 on: March 24, 2017, 04:10:41 pm »
Remember the fuss over Trump having a lease on a former Post Office and now a hotel, still owned by the US federal government? Yesterday, the agency responsible for checking that everything about that was in order said everything was fine. It's raised a lot of eyebrows...

Lease agreements don’t tend to be that interesting, but there’s one lease agreement in D.C. that’s been getting a lot of attention of late: the one between a Trump business and the General Services Administration (GSA) for a historic property that Donald Drumpf has turned into a luxury hotel.  Ever since Trump was elected, ethics experts have warned that the Trump business would, as soon as Trump became President, be in violation of the lease, which bars “elected officials of the Government of the United States” from being “admitted to any share or part of this Lease, or to any benefit that may arise therefrom.”

To the surprise of all of those experts, the GSA yesterday declared that the lease remains valid.  Experts on ethics and government procurement law have already responded and are saying that the GSA’s decision is plainly wrong.  But there’s an even larger question: does the GSA’s decision to bless this situation run afoul of the Domestic Emoluments Clause?

As I and others have written elsewhere, the Domestic Emoluments Clause prohibits the President from receiving, on top of his salary, “any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.”  In other words, the President is entitled to a salary for serving as President, but he may not receive any other “emolument”—any compensation, profit, or advantage—from the federal government, state governments, or their instrumentalities.  This Clause, which is found in Article II of the Constitution and applies specifically to the President, has received less attention than the Foreign Emoluments Clause, which applies to any person holding “any Office of Profit or Trust” under the United States and prohibits the receipt of presents or emoluments from foreign states without the consent of Congress.  But it’s no less important.

Like the Foreign Emoluments Clause, the Domestic Emoluments Clause was adopted to address the Framers’ deep concerns about corruption, and their worries that if the President could receive benefits or compensation from the states or the federal government, it might induce him to put his own financial interests over the interests of the nation.  To the Framers, this Clause was a critical safeguard against such corruption: Alexander Hamilton wrote that “it is not easy . . . to commend too highly the judicious attention which has been paid” to addressing them in the Constitution.

Fast forward 200-plus years, and a business owned by the President of the United States holds a lease with a federal agency called the General Services Administration.  As noted above, that lease expressly provides that no “elected official of the Government of the United States . . . shall be admitted to any share or part of this Lease, or to any benefit that may arise therefrom.”  On its face, that language seems pretty clear: elected officials can’t benefit from the lease. And it’s not difficult to understand why such a provision would exist: as Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has explained, it is to “‘avoid any conflict of interest that might arise between the [federal] employees’ interests and their Government duties, and to avoid the appearance of favoritism or preferential treatment by the Government toward its employees.’”

The need for such a prohibition seems particularly great when the elected official is the President, who appoints the head of the GSA.  As one article put it, “the fact that the agency’s chief now owes his position to Trump cements the conflict of interest—effectively making the president both landlord and tenant.”

Yet GSA—or, specifically, the contracting officer at GSA who led contract negotiations with Trump before the lease was signed—has now said that the lease remains valid because “during his term in office, the President will not receive any distributions . . . that would have been generated from the hotel.”  It is apparently irrelevant whether Trump will receive profits generated by the hotel immediately after he leaves office.  In short, a benefit delayed is a benefit denied.  One expert on government procurement law called the decision “unbelievable.”

And that brings us back to the Domestic Emoluments Clause, which prohibits the President from receiving any benefit or advantage from the federal government beyond his salary.  GSA’s decision that this lease provision doesn’t bar Trump’s business from continuing to hold the lease would certainly seems like a pretty big benefit, and it also raises the very self-dealing concerns that the Domestic Emoluments Clause was adopted, at least in part, to prevent.  The possibility that the GSA’s decision might be wrong merely underscores the point: the American people shouldn’t have to ask whether the federal government is making certain decisions and reaching certain results simply because they benefit the President.

In the days ahead, there will likely be many questions raised about this GSA decision, such as why it was made by the contracting officer with a long relationship with the Trump Organization (rather than by a higher level officer) and why benefits delayed don’t qualify as a “benefit” under the lease.  But there’s one very important question that no one should forget: does this decision, which directly benefits the President, violate the Domestic Emoluments Clause?

http://takecareblog.com/blog/gsa-trump-international-hotel-and-the-constitution

Jimmy Carter had a peanut farm and even the hint of financial impropriety led to six months of a special prosecutor investigating.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:12:25 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24079 on: March 24, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »
Remember the fuss over Trump having a lease on a former Post Office and now a hotel, still owned by the US federal government? Yesterday, the agency responsible for checking that everything about that was in order said everything was fine. It's raised a lot of eyebrows...

http://takecareblog.com/blog/gsa-trump-international-hotel-and-the-constitution

Jimmy Carter had a peanut farm and even the hint of financial impropriety led to six months of a special prosecutor investigating.

Obama was tempted to refinance his own home when rates got better but he didn't, saying you have to be very careful about such things when you're the Prez.

"Not to get too personal, but our home back in Chicago — not the White House, which, as I said, that's a rental — our home back in Chicago, my mortgage interest rate, I would probably benefit from refinancing right now. I would save some money," Obama said in a 2013 speech in Los Angeles.

"When you're president, you have to be a little careful about these transactions, so we haven't refinanced. But there's no doubt that somebody like Michelle and I, who bought our house several years ago, that if we went out to the market right now, we'd end up saving some money."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/19/obama-mortgage/27537971/