Author Topic: Holiday 2019  (Read 33777 times)

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holiday 2019
« Reply #40 on: December 5, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »
2 x overseas weddings are likely next year in my family. No chance of a relaxing 2 weeks by the pool for us sadly :(
Justice for the 96!

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #41 on: December 6, 2018, 01:53:43 am »
Got Cancun booked next next summer already which really looking forward to.

Debating if to go away at NY, if not then will likely do Easter, as well as fit some city breaks in. GF is a teacher so a bit of a pain with time off.

I was there this summer and I wouldn't recommend it due to the sargassum (a type of algae that sits in the shore to die there and ruins all the beaches), but if you end up going, then head to Bacalar south from Cancun or take a ferry to Cozumel on the west side of the island.

I'd post pics, but I would probably be banned from RAWK
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: December 6, 2018, 03:26:46 pm »
Anyone been to Albania and got any recommendations or advice? Looking at it, the best route seems to be to fly to Corfu and get the ferry over.

Tirana is cheap as chips and a cool place. BA fly London - Tirana, but flights are always silly money. You could fly to Kotor (don't remember what they call the airport - easyJet flew there last year, not sure about now) and take a bus / pay for a taxi transfer from there and go via Shkoder which is an interesting little city. There's also some castle ruins en route that way. The other option is fly to Ohrid in Macedonia. According to Rome2Rio there's a shuttle between there and Tirana so that's probably pretty convenient.

Albania is great. I really liked it. Mental little country.

If you want a tour guide or need bits sorting, I recommend Albania Express Travel: http://www.albaniaexpresstravel.com/index.php/en/

The guy is called Adam. He's great (although a Chelsea fan). He lived in London for years so speaks good English. Took us to an Albania national team game while we were there.

“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #43 on: December 6, 2018, 03:38:11 pm »
Tirana is cheap as chips and a cool place. BA fly London - Tirana, but flights are always silly money. You could fly to Kotor (don't remember what they call the airport - easyJet flew there last year, not sure about now) and take a bus / pay for a taxi transfer from there and go via Shkoder which is an interesting little city. There's also some castle ruins en route that way. The other option is fly to Ohrid in Macedonia. According to Rome2Rio there's a shuttle between there and Tirana so that's probably pretty convenient.

Albania is great. I really liked it. Mental little country.

If you want a tour guide or need bits sorting, I recommend Albania Express Travel: http://www.albaniaexpresstravel.com/index.php/en/

The guy is called Adam. He's great (although a Chelsea fan). He lived in London for years so speaks good English. Took us to an Albania national team game while we were there.

Thanks for all this, really helpful! :thumbup I'd been looking more towards the riviera region in the south around Sarande, would you recommend the north more do you think?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: December 6, 2018, 06:55:26 pm »
My Husband has it in his head that he wants to do a cruise next summer. We normally only do 7-10 days at a time, so it would be a med cruise but I just don't know enough about them. In my head they are for older people... Are cruises appealing to people/couples in their 30s?

We did our first cruise last year and enjoyed it. i am not sold on it though.

You hear people say once youve done one youre hooked - we arent!

Age thing isnt an issue. We thought the crowd was pretty young. guess late 30's - early 40's.

The thing i loved was a new port everyday that said you do feel you have to go do something and staying on the ship feels a waste. Think even more so in Europe. we did the Caribbean and they are all stunning stops but not a huge variety whereas European cities can be vastly different.

The one thing i didnt like was the timetable of it all. never felt i forgot what time it was and i love doing that on holiday. always worrying if you.ll make it back for sail away

We'll definitely do another but not straight away

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 7, 2018, 06:19:10 pm »
My Husband has it in his head that he wants to do a cruise next summer. We normally only do 7-10 days at a time, so it would be a med cruise but I just don't know enough about them. In my head they are for older people... Are cruises appealing to people/couples in their 30s?

There are cruises specifically for younger people. The Royal Carribean ones with IFly, zip lines, hovercraft safaris, horse riding, parasailing etc look like the kids of thing I would have loved in my 20's/30's

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1665
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 8, 2018, 07:32:01 pm »
Thanks for all this, really helpful! :thumbup I'd been looking more towards the riviera region in the south around Sarande, would you recommend the north more do you think?

Depends on what you want from your trip, I suppose! I'm not a beach person really, I'd rather spend time wandering around cities etc so can't really advise on whether the Riviera is worth a visit. Enjoy, whatever you decide! :)
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #47 on: December 8, 2018, 09:18:15 pm »
Depends on what you want from your trip, I suppose! I'm not a beach person really, I'd rather spend time wandering around cities etc so can't really advise on whether the Riviera is worth a visit. Enjoy, whatever you decide! :)
Thanks! :wave
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #48 on: December 9, 2018, 06:11:51 pm »
There are cruises specifically for younger people. The Royal Carribean ones with IFly, zip lines, hovercraft safaris, horse riding, parasailing etc look like the kids of thing I would have loved in my 20's/30's

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1665

Thanks for that - we didn’t really know that. Will definitely have a look into that this week!

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #49 on: December 9, 2018, 06:31:24 pm »
The Ice Hotel in Stockholm in February for a mini break.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 10:24:52 am »
Me and the Mrs are looking at getting away for a week in May on a an all inclusive. Warm weather, decent scran and cold beer is all were are after.

Any recommendations of where to go? Based on TripAdvisor everywhere is the worst. Budget of about £500max but cheap as poss. Cape Verde was recommended but it's out of our budget for next year sadly

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 10:31:18 am »
Currently weighing up whether to go on a week long skiing holiday to Val D'Isere in January with a few friends.

I've never done a skiing holiday before and don't want to miss the opportunity but it's very expensive for a week and will pretty much blow my holiday budget for the year.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2018, 11:19:03 pm »
Me and the Mrs are looking at getting away for a week in May on a an all inclusive. Warm weather, decent scran and cold beer is all were are after.

Any recommendations of where to go? Based on TripAdvisor everywhere is the worst. Budget of about £500max but cheap as poss. Cape Verde was recommended but it's out of our budget for next year sadly

Fuerteventura is normally nice. Can’t go wrong with it, can get some amazing bargains too.
Justice for the 97

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2018, 11:59:55 am »

We've been to Lara Beach in Turkey a few times and loved it. It's just a long strip of hotels on the beach - most are 5-star*, and have their own stretch of beach with a pier (some have an all-inc bar on it). Outside kids holidays, May should be reasonable and around 80f. Only issue perhaps is food; they were heavily catered for German/Russian guests; I always found more than enough to really enjoy, but my missus is a fussy eater and was a bit picky (and they don't do pork products, so no bacon)

* caveat - they're probably not proper 5-star, more like a good 4-star, but the facilities are excellent
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:31 am »
Anyone thinking of the rugby World Cup?

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2018, 11:23:55 pm »
Anyone thinking of the rugby World Cup?

My Uncle's going out but he does a lot of work in Japan anyway so is combining it with a mammoth work trip. I'm trying to get my Dad to go and meet him there for some of it, but may have to accompany him to make that happen.

Me and my other half are off to Cuba in 9 days. Split between 3 days in Havana in a casa paticular and then 4 days on the beach in Varadero. 4 days on the beach might be a bit much for us though, so will probably hire a car and go exploring.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 2, 2019, 09:27:44 am »

Me and my other half are off to Cuba in 9 days. Split between 3 days in Havana in a casa paticular and then 4 days on the beach in Varadero. 4 days on the beach might be a bit much for us though, so will probably hire a car and go exploring.

You'll love Havana Rhi.  We only did a day trip but wished we had done a couple of nights.  People we spoke to said 2 or 3 days is more than enough. Think you probably have it spot on.  Sitting drinking a lovely Pina Colada at one of the street vendors is so cool. They mix the main part of the drink then plonk a bottle of rum on your table so you can make it as strong as you like.

Which hotel in Valadero you stopping?

I would also wholeheartedly recommend getting an open top vintage 1950's taxi back to the airport.  Ours was a Chevvy and It rounded our holiday off in unforgettable style.  Wasn't too expensive either.

Love this therapeutic thread on first day back at work :)  Just requested my days off for Antigua in June with the missus and a week in Cambrils, Spain in late July with the grown up kids and their other halves.  Going to do the theme parks there which includes Ferrari world.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 2, 2019, 10:39:13 am »
Lanzarote for a week on Saturday. Get me by a pool ASAP.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 2, 2019, 11:08:51 am »
Lanzarote for a week on Saturday. Get me by a pool ASAP.

Was there in the summer Andy. I miss it.

Where you staying mate?

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 2, 2019, 11:22:08 am »
You'll love Havana Rhi.  We only did a day trip but wished we had done a couple of nights.  People we spoke to said 2 or 3 days is more than enough. Think you probably have it spot on.  Sitting drinking a lovely Pina Colada at one of the street vendors is so cool. They mix the main part of the drink then plonk a bottle of rum on your table so you can make it as strong as you like.

Which hotel in Valadero you stopping?

I would also wholeheartedly recommend getting an open top vintage 1950's taxi back to the airport.  Ours was a Chevvy and It rounded our holiday off in unforgettable style.  Wasn't too expensive either.

Love this therapeutic thread on first day back at work :)  Just requested my days off for Antigua in June with the missus and a week in Cambrils, Spain in late July with the grown up kids and their other halves.  Going to do the theme parks there which includes Ferrari world.

Nice one, cheers mate! Really excited now!

We're staying at Be Live Los Cactus in Varadero. It's got massive pools and tennis courts etc. Apparently the food is a bit rubbish but that seems a consistent complaint in Cuba. We'll deffo be doing the classic car thing at some point in Havana.

Antigua & Spain with the family sound like two great holidays to me. Enjoy! I'm the same as you, love scanning through this thread, today of all days. :)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 2, 2019, 12:10:54 pm »
Was there in the summer Andy. I miss it.

Where you staying mate?

Can’t remember the name of the apartments but I’ve been a few times mate it’s in Puerto del Carmen, it’s sound isn’t it!

Have you been to Ferrari land/PortAventura World yet? Apologies if you have I haven’t read the last few pages on here.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 2, 2019, 12:15:40 pm »

Have you been to Ferrari land/PortAventura World yet? Apologies if you have I haven’t read the last few pages on here.

No. Going in July. :)

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 2, 2019, 12:17:15 pm »
No. Going in July. :)

Enjoy man! You will love it, that Ferrari ride is fantastic, up there with the best rollercoasters in Florida for me.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 2, 2019, 01:10:02 pm »
Can’t remember the name of the apartments but I’ve been a few times mate it’s in Puerto del Carmen, it’s sound isn’t it!

We were there in October, only been once before in 2009. We are deffo going back, hopefully this year, if not then Feb 2020.

15 days til we go to Tenerife, 2 weeks of eating healthy and hitting the gym first ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #64 on: January 2, 2019, 04:47:23 pm »
Nice one, cheers mate! Really excited now!

We're staying at Be Live Los Cactus in Varadero. It's got massive pools and tennis courts etc. Apparently the food is a bit rubbish but that seems a consistent complaint in Cuba. We'll deffo be doing the classic car thing at some point in Havana.

Antigua & Spain with the family sound like two great holidays to me. Enjoy! I'm the same as you, love scanning through this thread, today of all days. :)

I have to agree with Buck Pete about Havana. We stayed at the Iberostar Varadero while we were in Cuba and loved it. To be honest, the Varadero peninsula is not the real Cuba. It's basically just a tourist enclave, but the actual town of Varadero is more authentic. There was a bus that ran down the peninsula to take tourists into the town and back again when we were there.

The food in Cuba is generally quite bland. We were there for two weeks and it took me a while to adjust to it. Because there are few places to eat out, most hotels are all-inclusive in Varadero, and although the variety of food looked amazing, the actual taste was quite bland. As you say, it's something Cuba is known for. Being basically cut off from the rest of the world for so long means that the standard of food are not as we know them in most of the western world. Mind you, when I'm tucking in I'm always aware that we are having a feast every day there compared to the locals.

If you like a day out on a boat, a little snorkelling and a trip to a nearby Island then I know they do suchlike from Varadero. We went on one to Cayo Blanco. We had lobster and Cuba Libre on the way, had a snorkell out at sea, landed on the white sand island, had more snorkelling then drinks and a meal. It was a great trip.

If you'd like to visit a grand house / restaurant on the Varadero peninsula then there is the Xanadu Mansion, which used to be owned by the Du Pont family. We had a fantastic birthday meal there, and it's a lovely place right on the ocean. In Varadero town there was also a house that was owned by Al Capone. When we were there it had been turned into a restaurant and had a big gangster-style car outside. Again, this is on the ocean. If any of there interest you, it might be worth checking they are still in business.

Havana? Well, it blew me away. Havana, and the real Cuba in general is the most authentic place I have ever been to in my life. It is a living, breathing museum. Much of it is crumbling, but it has such a staggering beauty in so many ways. I know some people love Cuba and some hate it, but to me, if you 'get it' then it's magical. We booked a trip where we had two days in Havana with a one-night stay in a hotel in the new town. Day one was a guided tour around old Havana. I'm not too fond of these kind of things but in hindsight it was invaluable. You get to know so much about the place and can ask anything you like, so you have the heads-up for what you want to do on your free day on day two.

We managed to fit a lot in. We drank Mojitos at Ambos Mundos, the hotel Hemingway was resident at when he wrote some of his books. They still had his typewriter and, if I recall correctly, his room preserved. We sat there having cocktails whilst listening to the guy playing the piano by the bar. Horse-drawn carriages going past outside. It was like living in another time. Another great experience was bombing it down the Malecon in a Coco taxi to the Nacionale Hotel. This hotel is really grand and has seen world leaders, Che Guevara and numerous world famous stars stay there over the years. It's a great visit, and having Pina Coladas in the grounds overlooking the ocean is amazing. We then took a classic old American car ride back to the old town. We felt like stars too, in this amazing big open-topped car with red leather seats, cruising down the Malecon.

If you like architecture there is a lot to see. The Catedral De San Cristobal, The Gran Teatro, which is home to Cuba's National Ballet and Opera, El Capitolio, which is very similar to the Capitol Building in the US. The Museum of the Revolution, and Revolution Square is also worth a visit simply for the historical context. We also spent time at La Bodeguita Del Medio, a bar frequented by Hemingway. Take your marker pen if you go there. Writing your name and where you are from on the walls is encouraged. A night time trip to the Tropicana is great if it's your kind of thing. Spectacular costumes and dancing in a big, outdoor venue. In the day, the big outdoor market is a good visit too, if you like that kind of thing. We fitted all this and more into just two days and a one night stay. Taking your camera is a must. There is just so much to see, and if you are into photography at all, it's a place to savour.

All kinds of trips can be booked if that floats your boat. We did a full day trip to Santa Clara, where Che Guevara's mausoleum is and a crucial battle took place in the revolution. You can see many of Che's possessions inside the mausoleum building, though taking photos inside was banned when we were there. The rest of the trip took us to Trinidad then onto Cienfuegos. On the way we'd see old sugar plantations and people getting around on horseback. I'll never forget the school children out in the country going to school, all dressed immaculately and sat in horsedrawn carts.

Ah, I could waffle on forever about Cuba. Initially, I didn't quite 'get' Cuba, but once I did, it blew me away. As I said, if you get out and about, particularly to old Havana, it's like experiencing a different time. It's like walking around a living museum.

I really hope you love it and enjoy every moment.

EDIT: Sorry that is so long. I got carried away.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 2, 2019, 04:49:23 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 3, 2019, 08:38:19 am »
EDIT: Sorry that is so long. I got carried away.  :-[

That's amazing, thank you so much. Really helpful!

I think our plan covers most of the highlights you mention, the only thing we're not sure about is what we'll do in Varadero, but we'll play it by ear when we get there I think. In Havana it's going to be pretty full on sightseeing / rum drinking / classic-car-riding / museum-visiting :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 3, 2019, 09:33:50 am »
That's amazing, thank you so much. Really helpful!

Agreed

Nice write up Son of Spion :)

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 3, 2019, 12:41:15 pm »

I'm thinking of a short break in March and Malaga has been touted by a few friends who reckon that it's a flourishing place to visit these days. Aside from using the airport on a couple of occasions, I've never ventured into the city. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences of Malaga?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #68 on: January 3, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »
Yep, Malaga is a great city. We are there for a few nights in February. I used to live there but that was over 15 years ago so things have probably changed a lot

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 3, 2019, 12:51:16 pm »
Haven't been properly away since October 2016 (unless you count a day trip to Kiev in May....) so me and my girlfriend have booked to go to Rhodes in July for a week. Never been to Greece and everyone said Rhodes is lovely. All Inclusive, can't wait!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 3, 2019, 01:21:27 pm »
We've booked Antalya in Turkey for 10 nights in August, all inclusive, aquamania hotel complex.....cant wait, first flight for my 1 year, so that should be fun.

10 days of relaxing by the pools while the 2 older kids go off on the slides and so on

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 3, 2019, 02:35:18 pm »
We've booked Antalya in Turkey for 10 nights in August, all inclusive, aquamania hotel complex.....cant wait, first flight for my 1 year, so that should be fun.

10 days of relaxing by the pools while the 2 older kids go off on the slides and so on

Sounds great.

Take loads of stuff to keep the 1yr old busy and entertained on the flight and hopefully all will be fine. Ours were both 3 months old when they first flew and they were great, just had to make sure we paid attention to them.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 3, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »
Got 3 days in Milan in 3 weeks to do some sightseeing and to take in Milan vs. Napoli at the San Siro. Anyone been and can recommend places to go/avoid?

Going to Rome in February to watch Ireland vs. Italy in the 6 Nations as well. Massive group of lads on the lash

Hoping to book somewhere for a week or two in the summer but don't know where yet

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #73 on: January 3, 2019, 03:52:40 pm »
Lisbon in a few weeks and maybe South Africa later on.....
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 3, 2019, 06:28:01 pm »
I've also got Antalya booked in October for 10 days. B&B as there's loads of restaurants a shopping centres near by hotel.

Also looking at Marrakech or Sarajevo for a few days in August.

Sounds great.

Take loads of stuff to keep the 1yr old busy and entertained on the flight and hopefully all will be fine. Ours were both 3 months old when they first flew and they were great, just had to make sure we paid attention to them.
Always wondered how people go on holidays with babies, is it do-able? I plan on having a child soon (fingers crossed) but I'm not sure if I can go anywhere with a baby.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 3, 2019, 07:35:03 pm »
I've also got Antalya booked in October for 10 days. B&B as there's loads of restaurants a shopping centres near by hotel.

Also looking at Marrakech or Sarajevo for a few days in August.
Always wondered how people go on holidays with babies, is it do-able? I plan on having a child soon (fingers crossed) but I'm not sure if I can go anywhere with a baby.

I'd much rather go self catering or B&B, I love eating in local restaurants.

It's dead easy to be honest. I was 29 the first time I went abroad and by the time I met my missus at 39 I'd only do 6 trips. My missus was more like Judith Chalmers, she had 5 holidays a year and had been all over the world and she said marriage and kids wasn't stopping us. I also wanted to do a lot of family holidays as well.

Babies aren't hard abroad, you just have to make sure you take enough nappies and milk if they are bottle fed - we ran out in Portugal because of her Ma and I had to get a taxi to a chemist early on a Saturday morning, cost me a fortune. Getting up early morning and going for a walk with the baby is brilliant, in Portugal I was walking on the beach at 7am with my eldest in the pushchair. Late nights don't exist, but if the little one falls asleep in the pushchair, they will normally be OK.One thing we have found with Spain, Portugal and Greece is that hotel staff and waiters love the kids, so they make a right fuss of them.

My youngest lad has been abroad 19 times now and the eldest 25 - not too shabby for an 8 and 10 yr old (the eldest was conceived in Orlando on honeymoon as well ;) ). We've done Spain, the Canaries, Majorca and Menorca, Zante and Florida and the eldest has also been to Portugal. We always make sure they keep the noise down and stop them doing stuff like kick the seat in front. Ipads and DS's are a must, keeps them quite on the flight. In all that time we've had one bad flight, when the eldest was 14 months and was an utter shit on the way home, I had to sit on the floor for 3 hours. They were also brilliant when we had a 6hr delay coming back from Tenerife and a 24hr coming back from Florida in 2017.

With going abroad so much I had taught both mine to swim by the time they were 4, which made me feel a lot better.

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #76 on: January 4, 2019, 11:01:51 am »
Got 3 days in Milan in 3 weeks to do some sightseeing and to take in Milan vs. Napoli at the San Siro. Anyone been and can recommend places to go/avoid?

Going to Rome in February to watch Ireland vs. Italy in the 6 Nations as well. Massive group of lads on the lash

Hoping to book somewhere for a week or two in the summer but don't know where yet

We went in November and stayed in an AirBnB in Navigli by the canal. Definitely an area you want to visit! The weather was grim when we went, so we were held back a bit, but I reckon 3 days is more than plenty in Milan.

The Duomo was decent. We bought tickets the day before, then headed there first thing (the queues are massive for it - even when it's raining). But if you're looking straight at the Duomo, head round the left of it and there's an entrance for "Rooftops" where the queues are either smaller or non-existant. Go up on the roofs, then go inside afterwards. Couldn't figure out why everyone wasn't doing this.

I don't think we had any proper evening meals whilst we were there. We just found bars with aperitifs and just drank and snacked on what they served up.

Have fun!

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2019, 11:54:36 am »
I'm in charge of booking a ski holiday for some of the lads. Want to fly out just after Xmas this year - has anyone got any recommendations if they've been before? I've been to Valmorel (French Alps) before in March but was wondering if anyone had any December, reasonably priced experience?
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:12 am »
2 x overseas weddings are likely next year in my family. No chance of a relaxing 2 weeks by the pool for us sadly :(

I’ve got to go to one as well, costing a fucking fortune.

Maybe I’m a miserable twat but it really pissss me off, basically paying a fortune to go to a destination of someone’s choosing and spend my time doing things decided by them, and if you decide not to go you get judged for it.

A mate of mine got married in California last year which was amazing, but that’s different as the bride was from there, so someone is going to have to get married overseas. It’s also a bit different when it’s a close friend.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:37 pm »
Booked Sri Lanka, it'll be the furthest east I've ever been but it looks bloody stunning, proper touristy/exploration holiday with some mates, looking forward to it.