Author Topic: Whisky Drinkers  (Read 139091 times)

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
Whisky Drinkers
« on: March 2, 2007, 10:15:22 pm »
Right then, I am far from being any kind of whisky expert, actually, i've only got to like it over the past year.  Anyway, i'm into most single malts although laphroig (spelling?) is a bit TCPish, Bushmills Green Label at the moment is my bessie.  However, I was in Tescos the other day and came across a whisky that I saw on some documentary or other and it's a Welsh fucker called Penderyn, it's a single malt brewed around Brecon somewhere and in my opinion its the dogs bollocks.  Anyone tried it?  Bit expensive like but fuckin lush, I have it with a single ice cube, fuck all else, not as nice as Bush Green but all the same  :lickin.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2007, 10:32:16 pm by BSBW »
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
Re: Whisky Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2007, 10:17:41 pm »
I'm not allowed to drink whisky any more in case the carpets need replacing again.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2007, 10:23:09 pm »
I'm not allowed to drink whisky any more in case the carpets need replacing again.

Fully understandable in your case Chris
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline 5FTH

• <--
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2007, 10:55:10 pm »
the Balvenie

They used to produce a 25 year Single Barrel, which was exquisite. Ive not seen this in a few years, hoping for a return fairly soon.

Their 12 year double wood isnt a bad drop, though a little friskey goes down a treat.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2007, 11:02:34 pm »
Too much wiskey is bad

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2007, 11:03:29 pm »
asda smartprice whisky*.....

will guarantee you have a blackeye in the morning

*proven against other brands tasted within the last 3 weeks...
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

hoonin

« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2007, 11:07:27 pm »

;D

The best tip I can give you to better enjoy your whisky is not to use any ice. The coldness it introduces nullifies the taste and aroma.

If you want to take the edge of a whisky, put a touch of water in there. :)

Glenmorangie is a good choice for your standard 12 year old single malt and I know MichaelA is a big fan of that Laphroaig thing.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2007, 11:09:50 pm by Gareth »

hoonin

« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »
Too much wiskey is bad

Particularly if its a Scotsman drinking an Irish one :P

Offline 5FTH

• <--
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2007, 11:10:14 pm »
;D

The best tip I can give you to better enjoy your whisky is not to use any ice. The coldness it introduces nullifies the taste and aroma.

If you want to take the edge of a whisky, put a touch of water in there. :)

I drink a large malt with 1 cube. any more and it drowns it.

hoonin

« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2007, 11:11:56 pm »
Cease and desist immediately! Drop the size down to a small measure and savour. Whisky is best enjoyed in small doses :)

Offline 5FTH

• <--
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2007, 11:14:29 pm »
Cease and desist immediately! Drop the size down to a small measure and savour. Whisky is best enjoyed in small doses :)

:wave

in other news, Bushmills is always a safe bet. nice easy spot for everyday drinking!

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2007, 11:18:11 pm »
Particularly if its a Scotsman drinking an Irish one :P

Exactly ;D

Just been having a few glasses of Glenfiddichs myself - love Glenmorangie and Bushmills

One of my old I.T. teachers at college got me into my whiskies his last words to me before I left for uni was never to lower my standards when it comes to whiskies!! Always stick by that rule!! Cheers Jerry!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 2, 2007, 11:23:40 pm by elrojoyoda »
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2007, 11:23:55 pm »
Being of Punjabi heritage it's *supposed* to be in my genes to love this stuff. However, I hate it with a passion. Maybe it's an acquired taste? Will I acquire this 'taste' before I get disowned?

Shit, even thinking about this stuff is making me sick...
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

hoonin

« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2007, 11:27:47 pm »
Exactly ;D

Just been having a few glasses of Glenfiddichs myself - love Glenmorangie and Bushmills

Yeah, Glenfiddich is ok.

My sister got married just outside Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago. Each of the tables for the meal were named after well known distillerys and each person got a miniture bottle of that brand. Everyone landed up trying to trade theirs for Glenmorangie ;D

One day I will shell out properly for an older whisky and see if I can tell the difference. Am pretty much a beginner like BSBW.

These are supposed to be better for a snifter than a tumbler. Same principle as a wine or brandy glass I guess. Hold the glass at the base and use the heat of the hand to release the aroma / flavour?

« Last Edit: March 2, 2007, 11:29:52 pm by Gareth »

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2007, 11:53:50 pm »
Kentucky Bourbon Whisky ain't bad either.  I'm having a spot of Marker's Mark right now

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2007, 12:11:49 am »

Fuckin hell mate.

We don't do this around are way of the woods, get a full bottle and neck it in one, then go to Town and talk 100% total shite with your mates.

You have been away too long. 
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

hoonin

« Reply #16 on: March 3, 2007, 12:16:34 am »
:D

That's what this is for:

Back for good in two weeks anyway.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #17 on: March 3, 2007, 01:02:05 am »
Right then, I am far from being any kind of whisky expert, actually, i've only got to like it over the past year.  Anyway, i'm into most single malts although laphroig (spelling?) is a bit TCPish, Bushmills Green Label at the moment is my bessie.  However, I was in Tescos the other day and came across a whisky that I saw on some documentary or other and it's a Welsh fucker called Penderyn, it's a single malt brewed around Brecon somewhere and in my opinion its the dogs bollocks.  Anyone tried it?  Bit expensive like but fuckin lush, I have it with a single ice cube, fuck all else, not as nice as Bush Green but all the same  :lickin.
Oh Fuck..  I can see this gig I'm doing for you in 2 weeks is going to be fun.. :D

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 3, 2007, 01:28:32 am »
Being of Punjabi heritage it's *supposed* to be in my genes to love this stuff. However, I hate it with a passion. Maybe it's an acquired taste? Will I acquire this 'taste' before I get disowned?

Shit, even thinking about this stuff is making me sick...

Bacz, sort it out!!

Chivas Regal all the way!!! Love the stuff.

hoonin

« Reply #19 on: March 3, 2007, 10:35:46 am »
Bacz, sort it out!!

Blended whiskys? :puke

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 3, 2007, 04:01:26 pm »
Bacz, sort it out!!

Had a bottle of that downstairs, remnants of a New Year's party... I thought fuck it I'm going to have some see if I'd 'acquired' the taste (this was a month or so ago). needless to say after the first sip the rest went down the sink. Disgusting. Went to a wedding party a couple of weeks back, my dad was drinking whiskey with his mate, but I went for the bacardi  ;D

Blended whiskys? :puke

There's Famous Grouse and Glenfiddich around as well... to me they all taste :puke

Should add- had a bit of Southern Comfort the other day (it went down ok, actually)- but is that even a whiskey?!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

hoonin

« Reply #21 on: March 3, 2007, 04:09:18 pm »
Went to a wedding party a couple of weeks back, my dad was drinking whiskey with his mate, but I went for the bacardi  ;D

One of my friends is Sikh. When I went to his pre-wedding groom party (the night before the wedding!) every table had a bottle of whisky and a bottle of Bacardi.

The only people on our table were me and my bird and a young couple who didn't really drink. Needless to say we all felt rough as fuck the next day. Had to be at the temple at 9am for Milni & Tea as well  ;D
« Last Edit: March 3, 2007, 04:11:19 pm by Gareth »

Online Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: March 3, 2007, 04:15:21 pm »
I'm not sure if I hate it or love it, but Bowmore (the strong one) is probably the hairiest I've ever had...

Perfect company for a depressing saturday night..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 3, 2007, 04:22:41 pm »
One of my friends is Sikh. When I went to his pre-wedding groom party (the night before the wedding!) every table had a bottle of whisky and a bottle of Bacardi.

The only people on our table were me and my bird and a young couple who didn't really drink. Needless to say we all felt rough as fuck the next day. Had to be at the temple at 9am for Milni & Tea as well  ;D

:o ! We had about 10 people around our table (blokes table)... but there were a lot of pints flowing too!

The bacardi and whiskey is standard... some weddings we go to there'll be wine bottles as well, but they don't even get looked at let alone opened  ;D

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #24 on: March 3, 2007, 04:22:45 pm »
may I throw Caol Ila and Springbank into the ring? Or if you can find it, Dallas Dhu - gaelic for 'the dogs bollocks' ;D

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #25 on: March 3, 2007, 05:28:01 pm »
bought one of my good mates a bottle of that welsh stuff from the good food show a few years ago. no idea if she liked it but the five live presenter at the launch in new york a few months prior loved the stuff!
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2007, 05:31:14 pm »
Jack daniels all the way baby ;D

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #27 on: March 3, 2007, 05:46:29 pm »
Lagavulin is the best stuff lads imho. Expensive, but if you get the chance try it. Never disappoints

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #28 on: March 3, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »
Talisker is the dogs nuts.  Definately.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2007, 06:16:13 pm »
Jack daniels all the way baby ;D

I love Jack Daniels, used to drink it like it was water at one point. Might get a bottle tonight actually, cheers ;D
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline grimreaper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 3, 2007, 06:22:51 pm »
I love Jack Daniels, used to drink it like it was water at one point. Might get a bottle tonight actually, cheers ;D

No probs.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 3, 2007, 06:25:41 pm »

I haven't actually tried that before... might have to you know.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 3, 2007, 06:27:39 pm »

Axl Rose loves Jack Daniels. :lmao

Or he likes to give that toughguy impression. A few years ago at a pre-tour rehearsal he was slugging a bottle of Jack's, giving it the big "I am", and a journo picked it up later and had a slug from it.

Iced tea!

Hardy fucking har har.

Don't like Scotch. Irish or Bourbon. Cheers...

87:13

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 3, 2007, 06:29:03 pm »
None of them even come close to this

In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline grimreaper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 3, 2007, 06:34:41 pm »
I haven't actually tried that before... might have to you know.

it's well nice imo

gonna get a bottle for the barca game

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #35 on: March 3, 2007, 09:26:49 pm »
Jameson, Johnny Walker (if u want malt, johnny walker green label) :)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Stanley Accrington

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: March 3, 2007, 09:35:21 pm »
Glenfiddich do some special whiskys - this is a particularly good one :-

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2007, 12:49:01 am »
Best Whiskey Ever.

The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 4, 2007, 01:34:42 am »
WhiskEy

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 4, 2007, 02:10:31 am »
Ahhh Whisky

for something light...

for something a little richer....

Any reference to my inaccurate custom title and me liking whisky is completely coincidental.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play