Author Topic: Bold Street and Castle street to be pedestrianised (trial run)  (Read 10837 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Very interesting development when lockdown restrictions are eased. Be good to see how it works in practice.

https://www.liverpoolbidcompany.com/liverpool-without-walls-pilot-scheme-to-help-restaurants-reimagine-outdoor-eating/

Bold Street will be closed to traffic across the summer and be the pilot for a new scheme of street furniture and ‘parklets’. Designed by internationally acclaimed urban architects Arup, these new seating and park areas will take over existing parking bays to transform the look of the street and, if successful, could be rolled out to other streets across the city.

Castle Street will also be closed to traffic to maximise the space available for restaurants to spill out onto the streets. Consultation is taking place with businesses and transport providers to work out the most appropriate timing for closures.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Bold Street and Castle street to be pedestrianised (trial run)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:57:54 am »
Think the plan was for Castle St to become pedestrianised for a while now. Heard about it from a bar I drink in down there before lockdown happened.

It's a good idea, the City needs a few areas like this. Only problem is it'll prob piss it down for the rest of summer now  ;D

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 02:49:25 pm »
id love it if they're pedestrianised, it;lll give an even better feel to a great part of the city
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 02:52:58 pm »
id love it if they're pedestrianised, it;lll give an even better feel to a great part of the city

It's easily done too as there isn't that much need for it given how many other roads connect James/Lord St and Water/Dale St.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:18:15 pm »
There are 2 main concerns I have about Bold Street

Deliveries to businesses that rely on their front entrance.

The migration of knobheads from concert square. It just kind of spreads out the space

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:55:02 pm »
There are 2 main concerns I have about Bold Street

Deliveries to businesses that rely on their front entrance.

The migration of knobheads from concert square. It just kind of spreads out the space

There are loads of pedestrianised areas where deliveries are easily done (like Church St, etc), so that won't be an issue. Although Bold St is really narrow so can see why this would be a bit more difficult.

As for them spreading out, hopefully they stick to the bars where the booze is cheaper and Bold St can keep things a bit classier. Castle St manages this despite Mathew St being right by it.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 06:13:58 pm »
There are loads of pedestrianised areas where deliveries are easily done (like Church St, etc), so that won't be an issue. Although Bold St is really narrow so can see why this would be a bit more difficult.

As for them spreading out, hopefully they stick to the bars where the booze is cheaper and Bold St can keep things a bit classier. Castle St manages this despite Mathew St being right by it.

Castle Street prices keep the rift raft away.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 06:15:44 pm »

It's the way we like it  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 06:40:09 pm »

I kon-tiki or leave it to be honest with you.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 2, 2020, 11:50:11 am »
Still unsure about this

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2020, 11:56:56 am »
I live very close to Bold Street so it'll be interesting to see how this goes. Will be staying away myself though.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 2, 2020, 11:59:43 am »
Saw similar at the Albert Dock yesterday.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: July 2, 2020, 12:14:00 pm »
Can see it working much better on Castle St than Bold. It’s just much wider, and quieter to traffic, than Bold so lends itself to having outdoor seating.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13 on: July 2, 2020, 12:57:28 pm »
Can see it working much better on Castle St than Bold. It’s just much wider, and quieter to traffic, than Bold so lends itself to having outdoor seating.

Agree about Castle Street but the Bold Street environment needs a bit if a boost and those ply wood contraptions certainly don't provide.

In most major European Cities Castle Street would have been pedestrianised decades ago. I suppose with the bars and restaurants only opening in the last ten years now makes sense. The sooner the better. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: July 2, 2020, 01:05:38 pm »
Agree about Castle Street but the Bold Street environment needs a bit if a boost and those ply wood contraptions certainly don't provide.

In most major European Cities Castle Street would have been pedestrianised decades ago. I suppose with the bars and restaurants only opening in the last ten years now makes sense. The sooner the better.

I imagine they'll be tarted up a bit before they are ready for use.

Totally agree about it needing to be pedestrianised. As you say, it could have done with it decades ago but now more and more bars/restaurants are down there it's needed more than ever.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #15 on: July 2, 2020, 05:52:52 pm »
Plants are getting placed on Bold Street right now.

Is right.

Fuck you Babylon.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 2, 2020, 06:03:29 pm »
Plants are getting placed on Bold Street right now.

Is right.

Fuck you Babylon.

The Hanging Gardens of?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 2, 2020, 08:25:08 pm »
The Hanging Gardens of?

They wern't hanging though lad.

It's nice to see a little garden pop up on Bold Street were cars use to park .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 3, 2020, 09:53:43 pm »
I've not been around town properly for years, I hardly recognised the place when I delivered to Tesco in Liverpool 1 in April. Gonna have to have a day out this year and have a wander about and see what it looks like.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #19 on: July 3, 2020, 10:59:33 pm »
There's a Tesco in Liverpool One?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 3, 2020, 11:02:21 pm »
There's a Tesco in Liverpool One?

Hanover Street over the road from radio Merseyside , the whole renovated area was classed as Liverpool one

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 4, 2020, 09:50:22 am »
Hanover Street over the road from radio Merseyside , the whole renovated area was classed as Liverpool one

The wagons access down Seel Street and come out onto Hanover. If you had dropped me at Tesco blindfolded then took it off, I wouldn't have had a clue where I was, its changed so much since I was last down there.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 4, 2020, 10:17:15 am »

There are more, but the smaller express stores. A newish one on the strand, across from Mann island. Not sure if the small one at the bottom of church street is still there? And then I think one at the top of Bold street.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 4, 2020, 12:21:56 pm »
The wagons access down Seel Street and come out onto Hanover. If you had dropped me at Tesco blindfolded then took it off, I wouldn't have had a clue where I was, its changed so much since I was last down there.

Hard to believe Liverpool One has been open 12 years this October.  I made a point of wandering through the area several times during construction between 2004 and 2008, just to keep tabs on what they were doing. 

If you've not seen it properly you're in for a treat.  Mind you, number of scousers at the time who told me it still wasn't as good as the Trafford Centre really boiled my piss no end.  Kept on having to remind them that it was sure as hell better than what was there before - which was basically a car park, a hole in the ground, and a patch of fucking gravel.

There are more, but the smaller express stores. A newish one on the strand, across from Mann island. Not sure if the small one at the bottom of church street is still there? And then I think one at the top of Bold street.

There's one more or less opposite the Debenhams, and a new small one opened up in Clayton Square after the Tesco Metro (formerly Owen Owen) closed.  Is that the one you mean?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: July 4, 2020, 12:22:57 pm »
Do you mean the one on Lord St (not Church) as you head to Castle St? That one is still there. That’s actually probably closer to Liverpool One than the Hanover one but is only a small one.

Are also small ones on Dale and Old Hall St.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 4, 2020, 12:51:38 pm »
Do you mean the one on Lord St (not Church) as you head to Castle St? That one is still there. That’s actually probably closer to Liverpool One than the Hanover one but is only a small one.

Are also small ones on Dale and Old Hall St.

That's the one I was delivering to when I woke you up  ;D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 4, 2020, 12:58:40 pm »
Hard to believe Liverpool One has been open 12 years this October.  I made a point of wandering through the area several times during construction between 2004 and 2008, just to keep tabs on what they were doing. 

If you've not seen it properly you're in for a treat.  Mind you, number of scousers at the time who told me it still wasn't as good as the Trafford Centre really boiled my piss no end.  Kept on having to remind them that it was sure as hell better than what was there before - which was basically a car park, a hole in the ground, and a patch of fucking gravel.

There's one more or less opposite the Debenhams, and a new small one opened up in Clayton Square after the Tesco Metro (formerly Owen Owen) closed.  Is that the one you mean?

We took the youngest the Museum when he was 5, so that's 2015. He wanted to go and then he wanted a Liverpool kit for a shop in Liverpool. Dragged the missus into the club shop - yes I did get a pic as proof - and then nipped into Liverpool One. Didn't get a proper look around though.

I remember as a kid, we'd go into town, Ranelagh Street, St Johns, Church Street, Lord Street and that was it, there was fuck all behind Lord Street. I think we used Paradise street bus depot once maybe twice.

The Trafford Centre looks ok and its nice that its inside, but I was glad Liverpool went for something different. Living here, I hate seeing the big blue glow from the domes of a night.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: July 4, 2020, 01:00:19 pm »
That's the one I was delivering to when I woke you up  ;D

:no :no ;D

Yeah that’s the one closest to mine that I go to pretty often.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 4, 2020, 01:05:52 pm »
The problem with Liverpool One is that it simply dragged shops from Bold Street and Church Street. GH Lees was incomparably better than the current John Lewis shop.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: July 4, 2020, 01:11:14 pm »
The problem with Liverpool One is that it simply dragged shops from Bold Street and Church Street. GH Lees was incomparably better than the current John Lewis shop.

The old Lees shop was a proper warren of corridors and rooms (my grandad worked in there after the docks and remember him taking me in the back when I was a kid), think it made it a pain in the arse to actually work in and up keep.

Church St isn’t really that bad shop wise, not too many boarded that you can lay the blame on L1 for.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 4, 2020, 01:18:00 pm »
:no :no ;D

Yeah that’s the one closest to mine that I go to pretty often.

It was really strange delivering there during early lockdown, it was like everyone in the city had vanished, it was so quiet. There was a fella in a wheelchair sat outside, is he there all the time?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: July 4, 2020, 01:19:29 pm »
It was really strange delivering there during early lockdown, it was like everyone in the city had vanished, it was so quiet. There was a fella in a wheelchair sat outside, is he there all the time?

This part of the city was absolutely desolate during those early weeks, it was great. Rarely saw a car let alone another person.

Yeah are 3 or 4 homeless guys who sit by there and the Sainsbury’s opposite.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 4, 2020, 01:38:49 pm »
This part of the city was absolutely desolate during those early weeks, it was great. Rarely saw a car let alone another person.

Yeah are 3 or 4 homeless guys who sit by there and the Sainsbury’s opposite.

He was a nice fella, he was chatting away to me as I unloaded, had a good laugh with him.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: July 4, 2020, 01:48:52 pm »
He was a nice fella, he was chatting away to me as I unloaded, had a good laugh with him.

Yeah they all are to be honest, tend to have a chat with whoever is up there when I’m there. There is a younger lad with long hair there quite often who is amazing at drawing, always has a sketch book out.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #34 on: July 4, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »
He wanted to go and then he wanted a Liverpool kit for a shop in Liverpool. Dragged the missus into the club shop - yes I did get a pic as proof -

And somehow that later became your fault entirely... :lmao
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 4, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »

That's the one, I never know where Church st ends and Lord st starts
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: July 4, 2020, 01:58:42 pm »
That's the one, I never know where Church st ends and Lord st starts

I think it ends by McNasty's, or possibly the Costa at the top end near Debenhams. Not sure either to be honest  ;D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 4, 2020, 02:44:38 pm »
And somehow that later became your fault entirely... :lmao

Of course.

She wasn't too happy when I posted the pic on facebook and tagged her so all the Mancs saw her in our shop ;D

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #38 on: July 4, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »
Of course.

She wasn't too happy when I posted the pic on facebook and tagged her so all the Mancs saw her in our shop ;D

As one does, barely merits a mention, really... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 5, 2020, 08:47:52 pm »

Theres another one on Lord Street and one on Dale Street . Theres another one on Myrtle Parade and Mount Pleasant too. Ah yes . Another one on Wapping . So that's eight in town. Ah soz. There's one on London Road and one opposite the Royal hozzie. So that's ten in town .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi