Author Topic: Sefton Park  (Read 126304 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Sefton Park
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:45:54 pm »
did  a search but the thread i was looking for seems to have gone.
anyone tell me the progress being made, if any in the park lately? is the lake back etc?
cheers.

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sefton Park
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 08:40:39 pm »
Walked aound the park about 2 weeks ago still dreging the lake, and the rest of the park looks  a mess too
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:11:32 pm »
The council try to give you detail but its not always what your looking for. Don't want to sound like a saddo, but I'm trying to find out what fish were taken out when it was emptied. My mates & I spent most of our youth night fishing there, 10 lads havin a scream & catching loads of fish, so I'd like to know whats still in there.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Leisure_and_culture/Parks_and_recreation/Parks_and_gardens/Sefton_Park/index.asp

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:20:17 pm »
The council try to give you detail but its not always what your looking for. Don't want to sound like a saddo, but I'm trying to find out what fish were taken out when it was emptied.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2008/03/13/nature_sefton_park_regen_feature.shtml

There's been 10 species of fish moved, even though Sefton Park is supposedly non fishing I think (but people do). They've been moved to caldies so I'm guessing along the same type of fish namely stickelbacks, bream, roach, perch maybe some koy. Used to do nighters on the landing stages at caldies and have a scream up there myself, although I lost interest in the fishing after about 2 minutes :)

This is a good site if you want more specifics:

http://yoliverpool.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:16:51 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2008/03/13/nature_sefton_park_regen_feature.shtml

There's been 10 species of fish moved, even though Sefton Park is supposedly non fishing I think (but people do). They've been moved to caldies so I'm guessing along the same type of fish namely stickelbacks, bream, roach, perch maybe some koy. Used to do nighters on the landing stages at caldies and have a scream up there myself, although I lost interest in the fishing after about 2 minutes :)

This is a good site if you want more specifics:

http://yoliverpool.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91
Loved night fishing in Sefton many years ago. There'd be loads of us and we'd have a scream.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:07:42 pm »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=89801.0      :wave

I walk through the park every day and it's like a building site. The dosy c*nts seem to be fighting a losing battle with nature. They dredge the water by the cafe only for it to rain over the weekend and the water and duck to return.  YAY!

I have noticed they have started to keep machinery out of the compund which is not part of the agreement.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:08:31 pm »
The willow tree has been chopped in the small pond by the big lake. Out of order as it was beautiful. The reason for the tree to be chopped was that it was grown ( self seeded I think ) on the site of an old well/fountain thing so they want to restore the well/fountain thing. Why didn't they just leave this natural sight of beauty and build the well/fountain thing elsewhere? Why fater 2 months is there is hundreds of trees just lying there after being chopped. The mother of them all though is why did they start this before nesting season when it was agreed they would start in September. another thing whcih is good though they are planting new trees but this goes against the original concept that the want to restore the park to it's original Vicorian state.

Bellends!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:22:23 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:55 pm »

I walk through the park every day
D'ya see any herons in Sefton Kesey?

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

D'ya see any herons in Sefton Kesey?

Gill Scott always makes an appearence.       :D

Yes I seen one last week I think it was. The councils contractors who are there to do surveys on the parks nature tp preserve it didn't even know the herons are there.

People . The divvies are running amok. 

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 03:30:34 pm »
Typical of the stupid c*nts who run the council, still local elections soon, hmm such a lot of choices there.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:37:49 pm »

Typical of the stupid c*nts who run the council, still local elections soon, hmm such a lot of choices there.

They we even surprised to find out that bats nested in the park. They said we didnt see any when we done a survey thing.

They looked in the daytime.   

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:22:59 pm »

Hung council predicted. p. s. you don't know half of it

They we even surprised to find out that bats nested in the park. They said we didn't see any when we done a survey thing.

They looked in the daytime.  

If they didn't then its incompetent madness.

South Liverpool's gone nature mad, when I grew up you'd only ever see sparrows and black birds, I live by Calderstones now and my (100ft) garden is regularly visited by Jays, Gold finches,  coal tits, etc, Squirrels (twats) and lately foxes. The local heron rests on the roof tops while the magpies and the Crows (yeah Crows) go mad at it

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »
Went to the park today, first time in months, absolute fuckin disgrace, looks a mess, the birds nesting area is completly destroyed, for no reason, no work even seems to be going on, they have cut down trees, drained the water and fucked off. :no.

Ducks swimming in filth, swans hanging around at the other end of the lake to where they normally "live". Birds are starving, if you are thinking of going to the park, go, take some bread etc and feed em. Never ever have I seen a duck hungry enough to actually walk upto someone and take bread out of their hand.

Park restoration, park destruction more like.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 01:34:23 pm »

South Liverpool's gone nature mad, when I grew up you'd only ever see sparrows and black birds, I live by Calderstones now and my (100ft) garden is regularly visited by Jays, Gold finches,  coal tits, etc, Squirrels (twats) and lately foxes. The local heron rests on the roof tops while the magpies and the Crows (yeah Crows) go mad at it

Iam lucky enough to get mallards in me garden. Last week I was leaving ours in the morning with a bit of stale bread to feed the ducks on me way through the park. On leaving me front door I noticed a female mallard sitting in the garden and fead close up. It was one of them beautiful momets that we sometimes share with nature. 

Priceless.

Went to the park today, first time in months, absolute fuckin disgrace, looks a mess, the birds nesting area is completly destroyed, for no reason, no work even seems to be going on, they have cut down trees, drained the water and fucked off. :no.

Ducks swimming in filth, swans hanging around at the other end of the lake to where they normally "live". Birds are starving, if you are thinking of going to the park, go, take some bread etc and feed em. Never ever have I seen a duck hungry enough to actually walk upto someone and take bread out of their hand.

Park restoration, park destruction more like.

It's a fuckin' disgrace isn't Ben. In this same post ( Above ) I said that I am so lucky to live facing the park. The flipside to that is I have to walk through the park which now resembles a building site. Iv known this was going to happen from October 2005 and started a thread on it here. Ive attended a few Friends Of Sefton Park meetings which I have stopped attending because know they are more like therapy sessions as everbodys head is fucked.  What you described about the ducks is true but they will survive I just know they will. Whats happened to the trees is fucking horriffic is there was no need to chop down at least 80% of them. I hear the council want to restore Princess Park next. Its all a big load of bollocks and somebody needs to be held responsible for this and face the consequences.

Iam glad that you took the trouble to visit the park and have a rant here because of what you seen and how it made you feel. The reason Iam glad Ben is that I have posted similar stuff here and I got the vibe that people on here just thought it was an over sensitive hippy spouting shite.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=89801.0

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 02:27:51 pm »
I've glanced the thread on the trees being cut down and mindful that you can't get the council to trim a tree unnecessarily and being advised that they've reduced their tree pruning programme - I still can't establish exactly what the excuse is for cutting so many trees ?

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 02:31:35 pm »

I still can't establish exactly what the excuse is for cutting so many trees ?

Niether can anybody else.

Oh yeh they're c*nts.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 03:11:05 pm »
I haven't been the park for a while, because after seeing the initial phase of the draining I knew it was going to be shite. I might take the little fella down there on Sunday with some bread (as per advice above), as he hasn't been able to go for a few months now.

I must say as well, walking round the park and seeing the trees which were painted and noticed, half of them had no reason to be taken down.

After reading this, I'm really dreading going, especially in the summer when it should all be leafy and nice.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:12:55 pm by lachesis »

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 03:19:56 pm »
I haven't been the park for a while, because after seeing the initial phase of the draining I knew it was going to be shite. I might take the little fella down there on Sunday with some bread (as per advice above), as he hasn't been able to go for a few months now.

I must say as well, walking round the park and seeing the trees which were painted and noticed, half of them had no reason to be taken down.

After reading this, I'm really dreading going, especially in the summer when it should all be leafy and nice.

If your sensitive you will be shocked. like I say I have to walk through everday to leave me ken. I try to stick to the same route and do not go the park anymore for other reasons apart from to get somewhere. They have even close the path from Greenbank to the cafe and that was my route through. They said all they are doing there was sanding the stones and cleaning the concrete so the path will be open within one month. Bollocks. They have now started to use it as a fuckin' compound which was the main reason why the turned the field by the Palm House into a compound, read the stuff on the notice boards mate. That field is not getting used as a compound at all. They leave their ugly looking machinerey on the exact spot when they finish work. Another thing they have started to work until later as they days are longer. Which means the peace and quiet has now gone. They have also started to work earlier in the morning. Which means I get awoke by machinery and I hear it still until about 8.00pm now.

If you cross the bridge by Fairy Glen when you go have a gander they are up to something there now.

Bellends!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:21:42 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 04:42:24 pm »
Iam glad that you took the trouble to visit the park and have a rant here because of what you seen and how it made you feel. The reason Iam glad Ben is that I have posted similar stuff here and I got the vibe that people on here just thought it was an over sensitive hippy spouting shite.

To be honest, I did think you were being a bit over dramatic but having seen it now it's a disgrace. To be fair the lake does need cleaning, but it should have been done well out of nesting season (the duck that took the bread from my hand was massive, obviously full of eggs - fuck knows where it will be nesting) and quickly, not drain it then fuck off and leave it like they have done.

I might take the little fella down there on Sunday with some bread (as per advice above), as he hasn't been able to go for a few months now.

Do it, they need it, the little feller will love it too, one of the swans came out of the water, the size of them things is amazing, you don't appreciate just how big they are when they are in the water. Well fed they won't be arsed doing that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:44:11 pm by Ben S »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »
The lake once had a - think this is correct - Golden Orf (or something). It was basically a giant Goldfish, and you'd see it surface a lot around the island in the main lake. I spent my youth in that park and watched it deteriorate. I hope the final result is not disappointing.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 05:33:56 pm »
The island looks a mess, they have cut all the trees down on it, why, god only knows.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 10:56:35 pm »
OK, while we're at it. The fireworks display for the last two years has been dross also. Lift off strategically placed safely in open ground (away from the lake). Public strategically placed along the perimeter footpaths. Everythings safe, flat ground, risks reduced.

Hang on. No ones thought that there are fuckin big tree's all around the footpaths and no c*nt can see a sparkler.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 11:26:16 pm »
I'd say last years fireworks display was far from safe, thousands of people were herded down narrow paths rather than coming from all directions like in the past. Oh and as you say, noone could see because the trees were in the way. Oh and the sound system was shite so noone could hear the music in the area I was in.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 12:39:29 am »
You're right. There was a bottle neck where we were, caused by a small metal fence. The fence was there for a purpose, but it caused all sorts of trips in pitch blackness.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 06:56:11 am »
I used to live right next to the park a few years ago and not been back for ages, used to walk through it every day and watch the fireworks from the window. Why exactly are they doing all this work to it?? Sorry for the ignorance but like I say not been there for ages.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:11 pm »
They have started to dig up the little field by the tennis courts.

c*nts!

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 07:32:46 pm »
Terrible mess
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 02:46:44 am »
I was there today.......it's a mess.
I watched 2 fellers supposedly working on rebuilding the walls in part of the small inlets.
One did fuck all except talk about his holidays while the other also did fuck all but talked over him about how many times he was pissed off his head all weekend. Both in their 40s and both oblivious that their bosses were behind them 20 feet away...also doing fuck all.
No wonder it's taking so long.

The cafe is still a disrgace too.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 10:54:44 am »
I don't understand what you are all crying for?

Fucks sake Sefton Park has been a fucking shit hole for years and it was getting worse. If they left it alone you'd all be on here saying how much of a shit hole it was and wouldn't you think the council would do something?

Ok they have gone a bit mad and left it all till last minute and done everything but inthe end it'll be worth it.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:45 pm »
I don't understand what you are all crying for?

Fucks sake Sefton Park has been a fucking shit hole for years and it was getting worse. If they left it alone you'd all be on here saying how much of a shit hole it was and wouldn't you think the council would do something?

Ok they have gone a bit mad and left it all till last minute and done everything but inthe end it'll be worth it.

Nobody has said it won't be worth it.
The problem is this, and every previous council going back to the 60s. The neglect of all parks in the city is a disgrace but only the tip of a huge cultural and social iceberg.

Fucking parasites who's only interest is their image.
If it looks ok.......it is ok. Especially if it looks o.k on the tourist route in and out of the city.

If you want proof of that take a drive down Edge Lane then do a detour down Lodge Lane.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2008, 04:56:45 pm »
It's the same story in every big city across the UK though it's not just our shitty council.

Yeah I agree that at this moment in time Sefton Park is terrible, it's a sight for sore eyes when I jog around it each day but that's life

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 2, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »
Not Sevvy...but her little neglected sister over the road....Princes Park;

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-life-features/liverpool-arts/2008/08/01/brouhaha-carnival-takes-to-city-streets-64375-21446138/

Went the year before last and it was really good, enjoyed it as much as the Africa Oye, even though it was on a smaller scale.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Javiersbuckteeth

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: August 2, 2008, 05:06:44 pm »
Sefton park on a hot day is a bird fest :hump
You look at the clouds you look at the beach someone states the obvious and you say no

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 2, 2008, 09:54:14 pm »
Ha ha, when I as 16 me and me mates used to........ :-X

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 3, 2008, 12:13:35 am »

The aviary is closed now isn't it!

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Bobber

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: August 3, 2008, 01:04:53 am »
I fell in what was the lake a couple of weeks back trying to get the ball back which my brother kicked in there. To be fair I was standing on a piece of wood and it was my only way of getting out. Supposed to have been hilarious to watch.  :no

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 3, 2008, 12:29:52 pm »
I fell in what was the lake a couple of weeks back trying to get the ball back which my brother kicked in there. To be fair I was standing on a piece of wood and it was my only way of getting out. Supposed to have been hilarious to watch.  :no
It wasn't deep when the water was there. Me and me mates sank a rowing boat once and had to wade to the side.

Offline Bobber

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: August 4, 2008, 01:57:49 am »
I know, but there was no water, just the shit and what-not, accompanied by the smell of a sewer. Wouldn't have bothered but it was, and still is a decent footy.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 7, 2008, 04:28:08 pm »
Been to the park a few times the past week. There is water back in the lake but its very cloudy, like a brown sandy colour which i assume is going to clear at some point. As has been for the best part of a year now there are loads of various bits of shit dumped all around the park, signs, barriers, large pipes, piles of "green rubbish"(tree cuttings, mud etc)
There were a few ducks about and geese today and there were a lot of squirrels too which is nice to see.

Was talking to a man there and he was telling me there used to be terrapins in the main lake and they used to bask on those metal rod things towards the far end of the lake. Apparently they are gone now and he was pretty upset.

Most of the islands and stuff have been decimated, but look at least like they are being rebuilt to some extent.

To sum up, the park is a total mess still and theres loads of places still seem barrier ed off to public. The cafe is still disgusting and I'm hoping that is next on the list for redoing.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2008, 05:55:37 pm »

Was talking to a man there and he was telling me there used to be terrapins in the main lake and they used to bask on those metal rod things towards the far end of the lake. Apparently they are gone now and he was pretty upset.
Did he say what year? I spent my youth in Sefton Pk and I've never heard of terrapins there.