Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399626 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2200 on: January 4, 2019, 02:27:29 pm »
We haven't played particularly well in the first half of the season but still top the league, imagine if we fully gear up from now on...

We have played well, just differently.  But yeah, it would be great to see the front three go on a blitz for a few months.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2201 on: January 4, 2019, 02:31:40 pm »
We haven't played particularly well in the first half of the season but still top the league, imagine if we fully gear up from now on...

Erm, did you miss all of December? We were unreal.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: January 4, 2019, 02:34:59 pm »

its almost like it was planned ?

i think we played exceptionally well this first half the season, had a bit of luck too.

Im sure others have suggested it but hasn't the plan been to save legs and build fitness till christmas so we dont run out of puff for the run in ?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2203 on: January 4, 2019, 02:38:54 pm »
its almost like it was planned ?

i think we played exceptionally well this first half the season, had a bit of luck too.

Im sure others have suggested it but hasn't the plan been to save legs and build fitness till christmas so we dont run out of puff for the run in ?

Yes I believe so, Klopp touched on that part and the problem with injuries we had in the second half of last season.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2204 on: January 4, 2019, 02:40:16 pm »
We have played well, just differently.  But yeah, it would be great to see the front three go on a blitz for a few months.

Yeah, it's weird how defensively elite is seen as not playing that well by some but if we were winning 5-3 every week instead it'd be seen as amazing performances. We've been great, not our best but great all the same and hopefully higher levels to come at Old Trafford and in the CL.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #2205 on: January 4, 2019, 02:41:12 pm »
Someone here wrote that we are not running as much this season as we have been in the last few seasons. I tried to find distance covered statistics to back this up. Could only find this article from skysports from November:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11552560/premier-league-which-teams-and-players-have-run-the-furthest

Says we are mid-table when it comes to distance covered, but top in sprints. Would have been nice to see data of the last couple of years to compare to this year. For me we look like the freshest team in the league so I don't know wether these stats can indicate anything about our fitness level.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #2206 on: January 4, 2019, 02:42:09 pm »
Considering Fabinho and Keita haven't yet cemented their places and been used sparingly, and the front three almost bullet proof, I would say we're in for a fresh second half of the season. Oh yeah, we have a couple of defenders still to come back in!

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2207 on: January 4, 2019, 02:50:21 pm »
Someone here wrote that we are not running as much this season as we have been in the last few seasons. I tried to find distance covered statistics to back this up. Could only find this article from skysports from November:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11552560/premier-league-which-teams-and-players-have-run-the-furthest

Says we are mid-table when it comes to distance covered, but top in sprints. Would have been nice to see data of the last couple of years to compare to this year. For me we look like the freshest team in the league so I don't know wether these stats can indicate anything about our fitness level.

We’re the freshest team in the league partly *because* we havent been running/aggressively pressing as much. It’s going to be key for the run in.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2208 on: January 4, 2019, 02:52:55 pm »
Like I mentioned in the post-match thread, I think we just have too stop looking too far ahead and glancing at the fixtures (I know I do it) and just think about the next game which is Brighton away.

The other thing we need to do is not look at where City might slip up (in terms of each individual game), it always feels crap when teams comes through tests where we think they might drop points. The best example was us against Wolves, lots of fans thought we might drop points whilst they had a home banker vs Palace but it worked out completely differently. Let's just concentrate on ourselves - if we do our jobs they are completely and utterly powerless.

Of course, nothing we do or think as fans makes any difference but sometimes the anxiety from the matchday crowd get filter through to the players.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2209 on: January 4, 2019, 02:56:09 pm »
If you told me after playing City home and away, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs away and we are top of the league with 4 point clear at this stage, I would augh the feck off you. And that is the reality right now!
Believer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2210 on: January 4, 2019, 02:58:01 pm »
Like I mentioned in the post-match thread, I think we just have too stop looking too far ahead and glancing at the fixtures (I know I do it) and just think about the next game which is Brighton away.

The other thing we need to do is not look at where City might slip up (in terms of each individual game), it always feels crap when teams comes through tests where we think they might drop points. The best example was us against Wolves, lots of fans thought we might drop points whilst they had a home banker vs Palace but it worked out completely differently. Let's just concentrate on ourselves - if we do our jobs they are completely and utterly powerless.

Of course, nothing we do or think as fans makes any difference but sometimes the anxiety from the matchday crowd get filter through to the players.

The supporters really need to grow a fcking pair. Enjoy the bloody side you're [not you directly] witnessing play on the pitch as it's one of the best we've had in ages, and give them the support they need. Thankfully we as supporters aren't playing.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: January 4, 2019, 03:09:29 pm »
Need to pull out the similar thread from 2013/2014.

Probably also need a few to sacrifice their bollocks (by the way what happened to Carly)

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2212 on: January 4, 2019, 03:13:19 pm »
It's a league cup weekend.

Those are on Tuesday/Wednesdays. FA Cup fourth round is the weekend of the 26th.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2213 on: January 4, 2019, 03:15:06 pm »
The supporters really need to grow a fcking pair. Enjoy the bloody side you're [not you directly] witnessing play on the pitch as it's one of the best we've had in ages, and give them the support they need. Thankfully we as supporters aren't playing.

That's the point though, we get so wrapped up in other team's results and our future fixtures that we forget to look forward to and enjoy the next game.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2214 on: January 4, 2019, 03:18:14 pm »
Need to pull out the similar thread from 2013/2014.

Probably also need a few to sacrifice their bollocks (by the way what happened to Carly)

Happy to give my left one if we win it
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: January 4, 2019, 03:19:51 pm »
Happy to give my left one if we win it
And I'm happy to give your right one.
:)
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2216 on: January 4, 2019, 03:20:48 pm »

Good job I’m like Hitler and have three  8)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2217 on: January 4, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »
There is a lot of bollocks being talked about on this thread.  ;)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2218 on: January 4, 2019, 03:30:14 pm »

Not looking to have any more kids so I'm in ;)

In case anyone is still worrying about the result, in the previous two seasons, the then leaders have both been beaten in a big game early in January. In the end, it was not anything more than a bloody nose and they still went on to win. We should do well to remember that, and get on with winning games.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: January 4, 2019, 03:31:37 pm »
Liverpool fans’ arrogance due to history (cough) and their strange anti-England sentiment have caused everyone to dislike them and want City to win league.

One of many from BBC sport website

Safe to say all Liverpool fans would have been screaming for Everton to win the league over United for the past thirty years.

As a Brighton fan, would love Liverpool to win it, have grown up in the era of anyone but Man Utd.

As an Arsenal fan happy for Liverpool if they win the league this season just didn't want them to do it by going undefeated.

Some sane responses
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 03:34:16 pm by Sudden Death Draft Loser »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: January 4, 2019, 03:47:42 pm »
One of many from BBC sport website

Some sane responses

I don't really have an issue with other club's fans wanting City to win it. I know a few years ago when we were nowhere near the title I would usually prefer City to win it over a "real" football club. They're basically using cheat codes, their trophies are hollow to me. Whenever they win stuff it's just like, whatever.

If we win, the monkey will be off our back, our rivals won't be able to gloat about us not winning the league, we have tens of millions of fans all over England and the world who will probably be insufferable, milking it (i know I will  ;D )

If City win, it's just another empty pot for the Abu Dhabi project and their few fans in Manchester. Nobody cares.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: January 4, 2019, 03:49:53 pm »

If we win, the monkey will be off our back, our rivals won't be able to gloat about us not winning the league, we have tens of millions of fans all over England and the world who will probably be insufferable, milking it (i know I will  ;D )

Surely you mean only winning it 18 times.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Bill Lacey

• Main Stander
  • With a Liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #2222 on: January 4, 2019, 03:50:03 pm »
Just looking at our fixtures to come in the league, the next five is

Brighton Away
Palace Home
Leicester Home
West Ham Away
Bournemouth Home

Man City on the other hand have the following fixtures

Wolves Home
Huddersfield Away
Newcastle Away
Arsenal Home
Chelsea Home

I genuinely think over the course of these fixtures we could gain further points advantage over City.

Leicester are decent, West Ham away will be difficult. Can’t see Arsenal getting anything at City, only maybe Chelsea. If anything we might have slightly more difficult games to them.

I’m really concerned by their squad now. I don’t think we’ve got great options up front, and they have a much bigger squad than us, with KDB, Mahrez and Jesus not even taking part last night.

Failing to get any result last night means we now need to be basically perfect and we need Keita, Shaq, Gomez, maybe Lallana to step up. Matching City to the end of the season will not be any easy task, which makes last night even harder to take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Lacey

• Main Stander
« Reply #2223 on: January 4, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
Just make sure our starting XI gets a nice rest here in the FA Cup game.

Next PL game - Jan. 12th .... 19th .... 30th - we can get some rest in here as well. Maybe a warm weather training after the 19th?
The question is who do we play at centre half?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: January 4, 2019, 03:52:05 pm »

Leicester are decent, West Ham away will be difficult. Can’t see Arsenal getting anything at City, only maybe Chelsea. If anything we might have slightly more difficult games to them.

I’m really concerned by their squad now. I don’t think we’ve got great options up front, and they have a much bigger squad than us, with KDB, Mahrez and Jesus not even taking part last night.

Failing to get any result last night means we now need to be basically perfect and we need Keita, Shaq, Gomez, maybe Lallana to step up. Matching City to the end of the season will not be any easy task, which makes last night even harder to take.

Beating them last night wouldn't have made the schedule and the other games any easier than what they are currently. Our options are what they are, they've done us well so far, we'll have to do with what we have, that's nothing new. Thankfully the manager has belief in the players

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2225 on: January 4, 2019, 03:52:30 pm »
Another factor to consider is our bad form in January under Klopp.

It's a different team now (in mentality and quality), but we will have to turn these upcoming results on it's head to give us a shot.

It's like you don't really care about reality.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: January 4, 2019, 03:54:20 pm »
Surely you mean only winning it 18 times.

Football was invented in 1992

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: January 4, 2019, 03:55:44 pm »

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot beat any of those teams you are currently trying to build up. Also City had to go deep into themselves last night to beat us at all. The stats for both teams had very little difference. They are also having to push their injured players into playing earlier than they would have liked. Which is why the likes of KDB was sitting on the subs bench rather than starting the game. There is no reason to suppose we cannot have another positive run. There is plenty left in the tank, our hardest games are behind us. We just go on doing what we've done up to now.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 03:59:43 pm by jillc »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: January 4, 2019, 03:56:04 pm »
As an Arsenal fan happy for Liverpool if they win the league this season just didn't want them to do it by going undefeated.
Just seen two Arsenal mates at work for the first time since before Christmas, expecting them to be a bit sheepish after the 5-1. Met with choruses of "You're not invincible!".

I think the anti-Liverpool noise is more pronounced online than I experience in day to day reality. 
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: January 4, 2019, 04:01:03 pm »
Just seen two Arsenal mates at work for the first time since before Christmas, expecting them to be a bit sheepish after the 5-1. Met with choruses of "You're not invincible!".

I think the anti-Liverpool noise is more pronounced online than I experience in day to day reality.

I think its entirely understandable that an Arsenal fan would not want another team to go through the season unbeaten to be fair. We'd be the same after all.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: January 4, 2019, 04:01:19 pm »
I really don't see our players letting last night go to their heads. Maybe if we had been battered it might have taken a mental toll, but we weren't in the slightest. I am 100% confident we will return to our stride.

Me neither,if anything last night will give us more belief.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: January 4, 2019, 04:02:56 pm »

At work - Man Utd fan would rather have us win it than City, Leicester fan - not expressed an opinion, Spurs fan - hates us, I think he'd rather anyone but us.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: January 4, 2019, 04:03:37 pm »
Erm, did you miss all of December? We were unreal.

I think that was the point,we seem to have found another gear at exactly the right time.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2233 on: January 4, 2019, 04:06:46 pm »
We’re the freshest team in the league partly *because* we havent been running/aggressively pressing as much. It’s going to be key for the run in.

I believe the majority of the running have been done by the central midfielders and Robbo.  Klopp has been rotating the CMs almost from game to game, so main concern will be making sure Robbo does not hit a wall fitness-wise for the latter part of the season
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 04:09:38 pm by BTGH »

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #2234 on: January 4, 2019, 04:17:43 pm »

Got a mate (arsenal fan) that would rather us win the league but wanted us to lose yesterday just because of the invincible possibility.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: January 4, 2019, 05:11:23 pm »
Urgh, Arsenal.  Man City was beaten a couple of times last year but it didn't stop them trouncing the "invincibles" points tally.

We took six points off United back in 08-09 and it didn't stop them beating us to the title, so we'll see how things fall after City finish patting themselves on the back.  What's important to us now is how we respond - that will show if we have the stomach for this fight.

Wolves may be eaten.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #2236 on: January 4, 2019, 06:02:37 pm »
Play  / Fabinho / Keita more regularly - less Hendo

Give the captaincy to Van Dijk

Kick on
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Bill Lacey

• Main Stander
« Reply #2237 on: January 4, 2019, 07:12:09 pm »
There is absolutely no reason why we cannot beat any of those teams you are currently trying to build up. Also City had to go deep into themselves last night to beat us at all. The stats for both teams had very little difference. They are also having to push their injured players into playing earlier than they would have liked. Which is why the likes of KDB was sitting on the subs bench rather than starting the game. There is no reason to suppose we cannot have another positive run. There is plenty left in the tank, our hardest games are behind us. We just go on doing what we've done up to now.
Not suggesting that we cannot go on another run, I just don’t agree that they have a difficult next 5, or that we have an easier run in. We have essentially the same top teams to play bar them having a home banker against Arsenal.

City having to dig deep to beat us is supposed to be a consolation? We lost, but hey look how hard they tried or how they respected us... absolutely no fucks given about what City think of us. I’m sure they respect us as much as we respect them. We are not plucky underdogs any more, we gone toe to toe with them for a while now. City or their fans reaction should not matter.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: January 4, 2019, 07:19:31 pm »
Not suggesting that we cannot go on another run, I just don’t agree that they have a difficult next 5, or that we have an easier run in. We have essentially the same top teams to play bar them having a home banker against Arsenal.

City having to dig deep to beat us is supposed to be a consolation? We lost, but hey look how hard they tried or how they respected us... absolutely no fucks given about what City think of us. I’m sure they respect us as much as we respect them. We are not plucky underdogs any more, we gone toe to toe with them for a while now. City or their fans reaction should not matter.

I couldn't give a toss about City. The point is they've had problems against all sorts of teams this season, so the idea that they are going to go through the rest of the season unbeaten is a strange one for me. They have been forced to play unfit players, taking huge risks with their fitness which is a large part of why their best play was unavailable last night. Yet you are building them up like their a well oiled machine at the moment. I don't think our games will be easy, but there is no reason to suggest we couldn't do every bit as well as we've done earlier on in the season. We have come into form at exactly the right time.

Online ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #2239 on: January 4, 2019, 08:02:36 pm »
It's a league cup weekend.
No it’s not, it’s the FA Cup 4th round weekend.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.