Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 752157 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #200 on: September 1, 2017, 02:43:29 am »
Welcome. His career unsurprisingly stalled at Arsenal, like a lot of players but we've signed a guy who can cover the Coutinho / Lallana slot in midfield or back-up Mane / Salah out wide, the latter of which is absolutely critical. Regardless of his issues at Arsenal as long as he's still got that pace, he should do fine I remember him at his best as a decent dribbler and touch player.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 1, 2017, 02:53:22 am »
In theory, quite easily the best set of wide attackers we've ever had since the last league winning side. In practice, we know Mane's already there, Salah's started promisingly, and Chamberlain has shown he has the qualities, just needs a set-up where he can perform at his best level. If the latter two do their jobs over the season, fuck me. Liverpool with a top class wing department. The world's about to end surely.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 1, 2017, 02:56:49 am »
I think getting the Ox is crucial mate. We could rest Mane/Salah for Cup games. He can also play on the right of the three in Centre Mid.  Also Right Back if need be too.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #203 on: September 1, 2017, 03:19:28 am »
Looking at the squad we've got I would play him 1/3 wide (RW) and 2/3 CM.

Essentially I would have put starting lineup as:

DM: Henderson
        CM:Can         CM:Coutinho
RW: Salah                           LW:Mane
                   ST:Firmino

With Coutinho shifting to LW if either wide player is injured and Oxlade taking his place at CM. I'd play Oxlade RW if both Mane and Salah are injured/rested. His role might change when Lallana returns but for the time being I think he's got a pretty big role to play in central midfield and id probably have him starting over Wijnaldum but that's IMO a line all decision.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2017, 03:21:45 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Chrismonster

• Anny Roader
  • Thou shall not wear socks with FlipFlops.
« Reply #204 on: September 1, 2017, 03:25:52 am »
Excellent opening post BabuYagu! 

Think this will end up becoming an excellent bit of business for us. When playing Arsenal, I always breathed a sigh of relief when AoC came off, even if he was having a poor game.
In my opinion Arsenal failed to get even close to the best out of him, I just didn't think their setup suited his game at all.

I've always thought he's more unconventional central midfielder rather than a winger. I'm sure in his Southampton days he played in a deeper and slightly wide right position in midfield, like a tucked in winger running with the ball from deep. I'm not sure how he'd get on in a midfield two, but I have a funny feeling in a 3 ether side of the deepest player, he could really come into his own (The Lallana's position)

Anyway, made up we've got him, cleaver hard working player with lots of pace and not afraid to take his man on. What's not to like?

« Last Edit: September 1, 2017, 03:47:46 am by Chrismonster »

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #205 on: September 1, 2017, 03:34:10 am »
Brilliant OP Babu - thank you for taking the time to construct that.  I'm excited about him joining - Klopp will def get the best out of him.  Good stuff - welcome Oxo-Chambo!
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #206 on: September 1, 2017, 04:00:52 am »
Thanks Babu for a great post. I wasn't sure what this signing was supposed to achieve but your breakdown of his skillset makes it much clearer.

Also, I'm sorry if I missed it but why are is it a bannable offence to refer to AOC as "The Ox"? Does it refer to something else or is it offensive in any way?
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #207 on: September 1, 2017, 04:17:33 am »
Great opening post and I like especially that it highlights something greater than just the "versatile young attacker" narrative. That narrative isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's good to see that it looks like he's been earmarked for a role he's perfect for and could be another situation where Klopp gets something out of a player a previous one could not.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #208 on: September 1, 2017, 04:19:30 am »
Welcome to LFC lad! Massive respect for making the decision to turn down more money to play for us. Genuinely not many who'd do that. He's surely a Klopp signing. Eager to see him develop into a top player for us.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 1, 2017, 04:34:41 am »
I'm hoping that he'll turn into a Mane type signing. A lukewarm reception, followed by a huge upswing in form that will make him seem like the steal of the century. He certainly has the raw talent to make that happen.

Offline Skeelman

• Boys Pen
« Reply #210 on: September 1, 2017, 05:24:50 am »
I think he will be much better suited playing under Klopp than Wenger. I've seen a lot of him and I think he's one of those players that produces more in an attacking sense when he has less time to think. Klopp's style is fast and instinctive and I think this will suit AOC down to the ground.

As others have said, taking something like a 33 percent pay cut compared to the Arsenal offer is a real positive as well.

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #211 on: September 1, 2017, 06:10:32 am »
Fantastic analysis in the OP Babu. I am sceptical of his efficacy in the centre but those stats and the fact he's hardly ever even played tell me I should reserve my judgement. He always impressed me with his attitude and application at Arsenal. In fact when he had that strop against Bayern I remember thinking he'd be a lot happier in a Klopp team.  Clearly he does too!
"Behave yourself".

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 1, 2017, 08:05:11 am »
I think getting the Ox is crucial mate. We could rest Mane/Salah for Cup games. He can also play on the right of the three in Centre Mid.  Also Right Back if need be too.
Think he will be like fifth choice for a 6 back behind Clyne , Trent , Gomez , Flanagan and Milner.

No way he is playing full back anytime soon for us.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #213 on: September 1, 2017, 08:26:10 am »
Great OP Babu and yet again I have learnt more about a player in 5 mins that hours of watching them play. I thought he was a good signing anyway but your OP now makes me think he is an even better signing.

I read he is a Liverpool fan. That makes him okay in my books. Welcome lad to the greatest club in the world (and good on you for leaving the shit storm that you used to work for !)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 1, 2017, 08:50:20 am »
Fantastic read Babu. Can someone put it in the quality posts you might have missed thread?

I fully agree about Oxlade-Chamberlain, think he's got the exact skillset that we need for both now and the future. One area that I haven't seen mentioned is his first touch, which at times can be elite level. There's one in the Southampton video in the OP where he's plucked it out of the air with such ease. In itself it might not seem significant but I have always appreciated the importance of a players first touch and control of the ball. In so many aspects of the game it's important; playing in tight spaces, taking in passes on the move, constructing attacks - Nothing more frustrating than a 5 plus pass move breaking down at the last pass due to a bad first touch - A bad touch can cost you possession, goals for and against (Bellerin at the weekend). Elite level control/ first touch can create chances and goals in itself. Think Emre Can's touch and cross for Salah vs Arsenal, his first touch on the move was perfect, the second just as good, but without the immediate control of the ball the chance would have either been blocked or reduced in quality.

I watched the Arsenal Stoke game, and thought that it highlighted his dribbling, and more importantly the quality of his dribbling, but not in the right areas of the pitch. His first touch on the move in a couple of them were perfect, taking his man out of the game instantly. That split second control that pushes the ball into space, that quickness of mind that is a common trait in so many of the best footballers.

I think he's very good at rondos too. I think that's one area he will show that his best position probably is in a midfield three, especially against low blocks, when we are having a good percentage of territorial possession. Quick one touch passing in and around the box, coupled with with his pace could be goals for us, especially if we can improve the quality and timing of his runs. I think in a midfield 3, it will immediately lend to him finding better positions in which to assist/score as opposed to wing back, or even on the wing in the system Wenger used him in.

Also he bridges the age gap between Lallana and Woodburn about as perfectly as you could hope for. Its a small detail, but an important one, squads are cyclic but with forward planning and a bit of luck you can minimise its impact. Klopp is assembling his squad for the next 5/6/7 years. Most of its here already, especially in midfield if we can get Emre to sign a new deal and with Keita in next season.

Another also; he's come at about as perfect a time as he could hope for, due to Lallanas injury and Coutinho waiting to be reintergrated. It gives him a better chance of starting and in a team that is playing very very well, I'm really hoping he can hit the ground running and push Lallana/Coutinho as hard as he can for a starting spot.

Final also! Our bench is going to be disgusting. Disgusting and filthy when everyone is fit. We could see a something like this vs City:

Karius, Klavan, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coutinho, Sturridge, Solanke

That's real depth with potential match winning options, different skills sets and strengths for Klopp to change the game. Not sure I've seen much stronger benches for us down the years. All good signs for me. Think we are really gonna challenge this season, on all fronts and I think Oxlade-Chamberlain knows it too.

I have never considered that way of squad building. But it's certainly intriguing, the point you make.
Usually, as I have noticed, the elite coaches, keep the spine of the team and build around it every few years.

Your way seems like it could be the right way to build. A total of three players for each position, one in his prime, one up & coming and one youngster on the side.

One question I have though is of mentality and motivation. Let's say a team that plans it's future in this way and is picking up trophies. What motivates these young players after they have won a lot. We have seen how Barca seem to suffer a lack of motivation after a few years of dominance.
United lost that motivation also after a few years of dominance. But Fergusons way of planning was building a team around his few trusted players after every 3-5 years. He could keep on motivating the new players.

I would like to know your opinion on this. Few people give motivation any importance, but in my mind it's as important as tactics and technical & individual brilliance.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #215 on: September 1, 2017, 09:30:39 am »
Fantastic op, really really interesting.

Can't wait to see him play with us.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan

Offline jmazza14

• Boys Pen
« Reply #217 on: September 1, 2017, 09:42:06 am »
Awesome OP, really good read.

Ive watched a lot of Arsenal over the years (best friend follows them) and out of all the players I would take from them, exception being Sanchez obviously, he is the one I hoped for. Also, chambo is also the one player my friend didn't want to lose.

Think in the right system and under the right manager, which Klopp is, he will flourish. He just has everything we need to support out attacking mids as well as our wide forwards.

Cant wait to see him play in this exciting team we are building.

Offline wolfie08

• Boys Pen
  • Row 3 Block 106 Kop
« Reply #218 on: September 1, 2017, 11:06:53 am »
Excellent read on the opening post. He definitely improves the squad for what will be a long season with them amount of games we will have. Welcome to Liverpool. YNWA

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #219 on: September 1, 2017, 11:24:35 am »
He is going to be boss under Klopp, welcome to the home of football lad
« Last Edit: September 1, 2017, 11:47:00 am by digger barnes 87 »
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #220 on: September 1, 2017, 11:28:18 am »
He is going to be boss under Klopp, welcome to the home of lad.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 1, 2017, 11:39:54 am »
He can cover many positions so that's good news. Also he's much better than Drinkwater who went for similar price. Chelsea have had awful summer.

"The Welshman ended his message with the hash tag #shaaambles, which is later clarified was a nickname given to the 24-year-old. It was apparently stared by Per Mertesacker due to his always being late"

He better start getting here on time otherwise he'll get the Sakho treatment  ;)

« Last Edit: September 1, 2017, 11:41:41 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 1, 2017, 11:58:10 am »
Welcome!

At first I thought he would be a decent option who could play in numerous positions with a lot of room for improvement. It is hard not to feel better about the signing though after reading Babu's analysis. He could be vital for us.

Oh and how great is it when you have a player who wants to play for us so badly he turns down several of our rivals in the process for less money?

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 1, 2017, 12:02:53 pm »
Firstly, belting OP from Babu.

As I have droned on about before, I was lucky enough to be at the Emirates when they got pasted by Bayern.

Arsenal were a disgrace that day. They gave up after the second goal. No fight whatsoever, they rolled over and let Bayern murder them. It was truly pathetic to watch that.

There were two exceptions - Sanchez and AOC.

AOC did not give up. He pressed and harried, he tried to make things happen on the ball. He twisted and turned and dribbled past his man when he could. He cajoled his teammates in to helping, in vain it turned out. he looked furious too.

He has a great attitude. He wants to win and he wants to try.

In terms of footballing skills, his ability to break the lines with his dribbling is his biggest strength and something we need.

we are light in midfield and I think he is a good option.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 1, 2017, 12:03:58 pm »
I think he will be much better suited playing under Klopp than Wenger. I've seen a lot of him and I think he's one of those players that produces more in an attacking sense when he has less time to think. Klopp's style is fast and instinctive and I think this will suit AOC down to the ground.

As others have said, taking something like a 33 percent pay cut compared to the Arsenal offer is a real positive as well.

First post?

Welcome Alex!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: September 1, 2017, 12:24:10 pm »

Ive watched a lot of Arsenal over the years (best friend follows them) and out of all the players I would take from them, exception being Sanchez obviously, he is the one I hoped for. Also, chambo is also the one player my friend didn't want to lose.

Think in the right system and under the right manager, which Klopp is, he will flourish. He just has everything we need to support out attacking mids as well as our wide forwards.

Same here. One of my best mates is an Arsenal fan, though i'm slowly converting him in to a red!

The more I read about this signing the more excited I'm getting.

I always thought he was a bang average player judged on his performances for Arsenal and England, but in our setup I think he'll be great. I think his two main positions will be the Mane role and on the right of a midfield three which gives us great options.

Exciting times, and oh yeah, welcome AOC

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 1, 2017, 12:27:06 pm »
Oh and how great is it when you have a player who wants to play for us so badly he turns down several of our rivals in the process for less money?

This is important to me. He could have stayed in his comfort zone and pockets more money, and he didn't. Fair play to him.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 1, 2017, 12:52:06 pm »
Excellent post - informative on all levels, both in respect of individual player assessment and team formations and structures. It makes for informed and constructive debate. Just to thank you for your time and efforts. I for one certainly appreciate it.
On a personal note (and it has been enquired of you previously-I think), are you able to direct me to manuals / literature insofar as formations (apart from the basic/standard literature out there) and tactics are concerned. I have educated myself in regard to the development of an individual from youth to  senior level in terms of technique, drills, conditioning, speed and agility exercises.  It has certainly made me appreciate skillful players a lot more and especially where a player has done something extraordinary which I would otherwise not have noticed or appreciate the difficulty in executing  the act. Suarez's goal against Newcastle and the several against Norwich spring to mind.
However, in regard to tactics, save for limited books or articles (eg: importance of Busquets' role in the Barcelona team under Pep), I have drawn from my experience from watching the game over the years. I suppose understanding the philosophy of different coaches as opposed to a manual on zonal marking , pressing or different formations etc would be an easier read. I recall one of the earlier contributors (around 2005/2006) who provided a piece on Rafa's understanding and view of football. It made for good reading and was educational in that one could understand what Rafa tried to achieve and the enjoyment and pleasure when the tactics worked. Barcelona away and the time when Arbeloa (I think was his debut for us) slotted as left back playing against Messi. Phase of Play's contributions and insight has also been missed.
Incidentally, are there specific manuals that licensed Uefa coaches  learn from in obtaining their badges?
Cheers

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 1, 2017, 01:04:18 pm »

As brilliant as Sanchez is, I do sometimes wonder whether at some stage he becomes a liability to team play and team dynamics. Our own Steven Gerrard (tinhat required?) at times may have been guilty of this. As much as they are the game's match decider's, they become detrimental to the coach's instructions of play. I think coaches like Rafa and Klopp always put team  and tactics first. The system beats the opposition unlike coaches  like Mourinho and Wenger who have a certain style but rely on individual brilliance to win games.
I think Oxlade -Chamberlain is one of those players that will fit into a system (especially Klopp's pressing game). I think he can be as intelligent as Wijnaldum in playing out the instructions of Klopp, playing within a team structure and strategy.(But not at the expense of individual brilliance which is always an added bonus).

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #230 on: September 1, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »
I'm writing something on this as we speak  - "Needle Players". It will basically be a "how do we fuck up a low-block" thread.

He is going to be huge for us against those park the bus teams I believe. Quick transition play and an ability to run at and through the opposition. Really looking forward to what he will bring us.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #231 on: September 1, 2017, 01:15:30 pm »
He is going to be huge for us against those park the bus teams I believe. Quick transition play and an ability to run at and through the opposition. Really looking forward to what he will bring us.

I know people will disagree but by the end of the season he'll be seen as our best advanced CM (the '8') apart from Coutinho.
Gini and Lallana are more aesthetically pleasing but AOC is a more effective player than both and an upgrade on them in the system we're playing.

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #232 on: September 1, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »
He will be to us what we thought Markovic will be based on his YouTube compilation. Someone in middle running with ball and taking opposition players out of the equation.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 1, 2017, 01:44:33 pm »
I know people will disagree but by the end of the season he'll be seen as our best advanced CM (the '8') apart from Coutinho.
Gini and Lallana are more aesthetically pleasing but AOC is a more effective player than both and an upgrade on them in the system we're playing.

wonder if he will add goals to his game?

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #234 on: September 1, 2017, 01:54:25 pm »
Firstly, i never really rated him all that highly at Arsenal so i think he still has a lot to prove although he has already endeared himself to us by turning down Chelsea and bigger wages (if the stories are true). Although hes Messi it does fell like a coup to get him from Arsenal even though they done alright from this too.

He is a perfect fit for us in some ways. Pacey with a lot of potential but most importantly seems to have the right attitude on and off the pitch.. all in all cant wait to see him in the red shirt.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #235 on: September 1, 2017, 01:55:44 pm »
Fantastic OP and the kind of post that makes this site great. I'll admit I was surprised by the transfer and fairly indifferent on whether it was what we needed, but I've changed my mind after reading that. I would still rather have a new Centre back, but overall I'm pleased with who we've bought and have high hopes for the season ahead.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #236 on: September 1, 2017, 01:59:47 pm »
Personally I just looked at his goals and assits and injury record over the last 5 years and judged on the times I've see him play plus talking to Arsenal fans I know which pointed my hopes to look elsewhere.

The insight into the opening post , had broadened my outlook.And now we signed him I hope he delivers on the opening post and the player I wanted before he went to Arsenal

Best of luck , hope you become the world class player I thought you would be before you went to Arsenal .

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 1, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »
To be honest this has the feels of the Lallana deal. A bit underwhelming to say the least and it took Lallana two years to get going. But look how good he is now, let's hope it just doesn't take Chamberlain as long.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #238 on: September 1, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »
To be honest this has the feels of the Lallana deal. A bit underwhelming to say the least and it took Lallana two years to get going. But look how good he is now, let's hope it just doesn't take Chamberlain as long.

I was jumping with joy when we signed Lallana, even more so with Mane .Both players I seen dismissed by many fans .

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 1, 2017, 02:20:21 pm »

Took Lallana one game to get going under Klopp.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.