Poll

Would you like to see Finnan back at Liverpool?

Yes
24 (24.5%)
No
51 (52%)
Yes - Back up to Johnson
23 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Steve Finnan  (Read 11343 times)

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Finnan going to portsmouth?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 03:13:40 pm »
Finnan was very good at a time under Rafa but it seems over time some people have come to have the opinion he was some sort of Cafu/Maldini hybrid.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »
He was a solid and versatile player who played well for us. For a short time, he was one of the best full-backs in the league, outperforming Neville et al consistently. Never a special player though. Think he's retired now. One thing that's the case is he's the only ever player to play in the World Cup, Champions League, Uefa and Intertoto Cup, the conference and all four levels of the football league. That's a pretty distinguished achievement that illuminates how far he'd gone from early doors to CL winner.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »
Finnan was very good at a time under Rafa but it seems over time some people have come to have the opinion he was some sort of Cafu/Maldini hybrid.

Another case of a player leaving an suddenly seen as better than he was. He was a decent player and a good servant to the club.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »
good buy him, good defender, so much better than johno sadly.

No chance.

Finnan was great, and under-rated by some, but he never had a legitimate shout at being amongst the best in the world. Johnson does.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 04:02:46 pm »
He was underated by a lot of people but then it got to the point where people were saying that so much he started to get overated by many!

Good solid full back though.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline HoinkDoink

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 04:05:28 pm »
He done a good job while he was here, never had any problems with him, was pretty solid
Liverpool FC
Stop for the Klopp!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=294839.0 - RAWK Soccer Manager Thread, Come Play

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 06:45:22 pm »
Finnan was a solid dependable right back he was also a decent passer. He didn't have pace and rarely ventured down the flanks, he was limited in a sense, but very good in his limitations. He was underrated, but players like him usually are so no surprise there.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steve Finnan
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 07:45:45 am »
Hope there is nothing more to this other than the lad is just keeping a low profile.

Apparently they are trying to track Steve down according to the Echo!!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/missing-can-you-help-find-9295886

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2015, 12:19:02 pm »
He has been found alive and well.

The Irish Independent's Dan McDonnell made a few enquiries yesterday.

He said, "Steve Finnan's in London, enjoying life out of the limelight and not seeking any form of post-football fame or media work or anything like that. I believe he's pretty contented and happy about that."

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »
Cheers KK

Good news mate and fair play to Steve F :)

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »
Cheers KK

Good news mate and fair play to Steve F :)
Possible headline
'Reclusive Weirdo Finnan Shuns Former Club'

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:23 pm »
Loved Finnan. Him and Flanno are what full-backs should be about I reckon. I was a big fan of Johnson back in the day, but got a bit of a disliking for the way so many full-backs just seem to be players not good enough to be wingers these days.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:08 pm »
Possible headline
'Reclusive Weirdo Finnan Shuns Former Club'

Steve Finkle

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:19 pm »
I voted yes
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 12:07:38 am »
Hope there is nothing more to this other than the lad is just keeping a low profile.

Apparently they are trying to track Steve down according to the Echo!!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/missing-can-you-help-find-9295886
They've found him, he's doing well for himself in property business.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/steve-finnan-found---liverpool-9305365

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »
I voted yes

:)

At the moment I'd vote fucking yes for Aly Cissoko if i had the chance Phil!

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 02:51:02 pm »
:)

At the moment I'd vote fucking yes for Aly Cissoko if i had the chance Phil!

What's Djimi Traore up to these days?
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 04:59:29 pm »
What's Djimi Traore up to these days?

Scoring crackers for Seattle Sounders of MLS    ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObZVcMYxWXQ?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ObZVcMYxWXQ?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name</a>
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 11:35:11 pm »
i'd take finnan over glen johnson any day of the week and twice on tuesday.   Solid right back, week in, week out, no worries or meither.   Rafa tried to replace him with josemi, kronkamp, they were shite in comparison.   I'd take finnan over arbeloa as well.  When arbie was good he was very good but when he was bad...well carra wanted to kill him.  Only players better than finnan are rob jones, marcus babbel, phil neal.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2015, 03:29:30 am »
Who didn't Carra yell at?

Not to take anything away from Finnan who was solid and reliable, but Arbeloa was a visible upgrade who shackled the likes of Messi and CRonaldo.

“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2015, 04:46:57 pm »
i'd take finnan over glen johnson any day of the week and twice on tuesday.   Solid right back, week in, week out, no worries or meither.   Rafa tried to replace him with josemi, kronkamp, they were shite in comparison.   I'd take finnan over arbeloa as well.  When arbie was good he was very good but when he was bad...well carra wanted to kill him.  Only players better than finnan are rob jones, marcus babbel, phil neal.

His willingness - and ability - to cross with either foot gives him a plus over some of the other fullbacks we've had too. A lot more difficult to for opponents to close Finnan down or block his cross when Finnan is willing is switch feet and knock a decent ball in with his 'weaker' left foot.

Shame he won't be at the Istanbul re-union - or played in the previous charity games, hopefully someone will ask him next time :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:57 pm »
Steve Finnan insists he was the man who transformed the 2005 Champions League final against AC Milan.

“I always say I changed the game that night,” Finnan told the ECHO.

“If I hadn’t have got injured, we wouldn’t have won the European Cup.

“That injury I got was the best thing that ever happened to Liverpool.”
___

What a humble fella.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2015, 09:36:43 pm »
Steve Finnan insists he was the man who transformed the 2005 Champions League final against AC Milan.

“I always say I changed the game that night,” Finnan told the ECHO.

“If I hadn’t have got injured, we wouldn’t have won the European Cup.

“That injury I got was the best thing that ever happened to Liverpool.”
___

What a humble fella.
;D

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2015, 09:54:37 pm »
A true gent. Appreciated all he got from the game, and unlike many these days shunned the fame.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2015, 03:43:57 am »
Finnan was a really good full back. Probably the best we've had since steve nicol. He had a good understanding of the basics of defending, (which is very rare in the modern game) kept his position very well, defended the back post properly, and very little ever came down his side. You didn't notice him making spectacular tackles, or last ditch lunges, because things rarely got that far. He was very good on the ball, and was a good reader of the game. he was technically consistent, two footed, and good in possession. He was very comfortable playing on the right side of Midfield for the republic, and before he ever came to us, he had been in the pfa team of the season (he was the third consecutive irish player to be chosen as right back) He wasn't particularly spectacular or showy, but he was a strong professional, and a stylish player. People underrated him because he made things look easy.  He came to us quite late in his career, and my one regret is that we didn't buy him sooner.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:46:15 am by RedHopper »

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:14:36 pm by Nogg3000 »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2020, 07:40:15 pm »
Winners medals are becoming like old dvds. ‘Ooooh special, limited edition steel book Gladiator dvd, must be worth loads! Ahhh...£1.20’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2020, 08:04:38 pm »
Companies House says his company Finnan Developments has gone into liquidation, and Steve's going after his brother Sean for a £4.03m debt

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-liverpool-star-steve-finnan-19117313

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 10:12:32 pm »
Aye F.A. if it’s not a 6th edition medal then its passed its shelf life.

Always meant to ask - what’s your avatar? Keeping thing Larry David in a wig?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2020, 10:17:58 pm »
Aye F.A. if it’s not a 6th edition medal then its passed its shelf life.

Always meant to ask - what’s your avatar? Keeping thing Larry David in a wig?

Nah it’s not Larry David, it’s Buck Dancer
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2020, 10:31:32 pm »

Awa awah
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2020, 10:57:25 pm »

Ah well played, that was pretty, pretty, pretttttty good!

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2020, 12:00:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about his business.

He never seemed to keep in touch with the club or teammates like others, but a good player in his day.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2020, 02:55:17 pm »
His Final medal from 2005 reached £80,000 plus Buyers Premium about 24% his shirt from same game got £26,000 and his 2006 FA Cup medal got £10,000 I hope the money goes to him