Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 448272 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Confirmed!
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2018, 07:37:35 am »
A no brainer as Klopp said. shaqiri looks truly happy to be with us.  It’s great to have a player with so much talent and so much to prove still in his career.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2018, 07:41:08 am »
Welcome, the first order of business has to be reshaping his physique to that of his best role - a dribbler. That was when he came to prominence, and since then he's been competing in the dwarven Mr. Universe for some weird reason. Give him the best level of agility and speed back, the dribbling and technical ability have always been there, we'll end up with a very good option. He could be the guy to back-up Salah / Mane, hell even compete with them if he regains his best physical level. That player can play in any position in the attacking or midfield line, as Klopp has mentioned.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:19 am »
I can tell the excitement is bubbling out of you.

;D

Mixed emotions.

The guys I see as a perfect fit are elite in off the ball work rate. Shaqiri is really the only player in the squad that's at odds with that.

In saying that, he has some skills and attributes that are lacking in the squad and when on the ball he's special. Plus Klopp has earned the benefit of the doubt so lets see what's in store. No need for me to piss in people chips.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:50:54 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupι Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2018, 08:14:19 am »
;D

Mixed emotions.

The guys I see as a perfect fit are elite in off the ball work rate. Shaqiri is really the only player in the squad that's at odds with that.

In saying that, he has some skills and attributes that are lacking in the squad and when on the ball he's special. Plus Klopp has earned the benefit of the doubt so lets see what's in store. No need for me to piss in people chips.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him until October, bit like AOC and Robertson, once he has learned the role Klopp wants him to play.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2018, 08:23:46 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if we saw him a bit earlier than we think. Remember Firmino Salah & Mane may not be up to speed or fit for the first games as they are coming back a few weeks later than everyone else right?.

Interesting how Klopp mentions "bravery" and "arrogance"....

Welcome Shaq :)

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2018, 08:31:31 am »
Great signing and a bargain.

Pace, strength, skill, versatility, free kicks, and all for less than 1/10 of a Coutinho. Seems to also have a bit of arrogance and attitude which we've lacked a bit recently. Happy days.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline LFC_NCL

• Main Stander
« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2018, 08:42:51 am »
really excited about this signing, PL miles on the clock, he clearly wants to be here and he could be a little staffy we need to chew up a few defenses, wanted him here for a few years now

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xerdan Shaqiri - Confirmed!
« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2018, 08:46:57 am »
Kloppo speaks:

“I think the English phrase to explain the decision to sign Xherdan is a ‘no-brainer’. When someone like him becomes available in this way you have to react if you are smart – and we have,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.

“He has speed and ability, has the right amount of arrogance on the football pitch, real bravery to want the ball and influence things. To play for us these are mandatory requirements.

“We are the perfect move for him in this moment as well I think, because he needs to push himself and challenge himself and our environment encourages that. We will want him to express himself but also learn and improve the areas of his game where he can still make progression.

“From our perspective, he is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system. He gives us greater flexibility in how we can use our current players also. This is cool.

“I know him well from his time in Switzerland and especially Germany – I have been a long-time admirer. But the added bonus now is that he knows the Premier League and what it takes to perform in this uniquely intense environment. He also did really well at the World Cup – so he comes to us full of belief and confidence.

“Finally, Xherdan the person will fit in perfectly at Liverpool I believe. He has personality and drive – he is someone who will feed off the positive emotion of our crowd. He joins a dressing room of really good lads and I know they will welcome him with open arms and help him settle and integrate quickly.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/307047-shaqiri-liverpool-fc-signing-jurgen-klopp

Couldn't have summed it up better..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: July 14, 2018, 09:04:07 am »
;D

Mixed emotions.

I don't get how you can have mixed emotions, because even in the worst case, where he doesn't really gell with the team, I would bet we could easily sell him next summer for a minimum of 20 mill. Shaqiri isn't a real transfer target if not for the situation with his release clause, for exactly the reasons you stated. Klopp said it's a no brainer because you don't find players with his talent and breadth of experience for 13 million pounds. The upside might be in question, but the downside is pretty much guaranteed profit I think. You have the opportunity to get a player like this in a position of need for such a cheap price, you take it, no questions asked. It shouldn't even have a real marked effect on who else we can bring in this window, which is great too.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:06:54 am by Dundalis »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2018, 09:06:52 am »
A no brainer as Klopp said. shaqiri looks truly happy to be with us.  It’s great to have a player with so much talent and so much to prove still in his career.

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2018, 09:16:23 am »
The other thing is, I have to hope that maybe this season with an actual world class rather than working class midfield, we will have the ability to better dominate possession through the middle third and not be so reliant on counter attacking for offensive output. Basically a more well rounded side, like Man City. If we can do that, I think it would place slighly less emphasis on off the ball work rate, particularly for the players in the front three. I think we can afford to have a player who isn't quite so inclined to work hard tracking back. We don't know exactly how the transformed midfield will function though.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2018, 09:18:28 am »
;D

Mixed emotions.

I think it's a fair assessment, though personally I think his workrate isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

I'm not sure how productive his Liverpool career will be. But some players, like Smicer for example, will always be remebered for scoring goals in decisive moments, regardless of how their career panned out with us.

Shaqiri, if all else fails (I do have high hopes for him btw), is one of those rare players capable of the spectacular in crucial moments. Imagine if he comes off the bench and scores the crucial goal to send us to the CL final, for example. That alone I think will justify his price tag.

But again, I think he will be more than that personally.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:15 am »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2018, 09:38:02 am »
Good signing for £13m.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2018, 09:46:27 am »
Good signing at a fantastic price in this crazy market. Brings something a little different  to the squad. Welcome to the greatest club in the world and prove the doubters wrong with hard work
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jόrgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2018, 09:47:32 am »
Looking forward to Mane doing the folded arms celebration.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jόrgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2018, 09:51:42 am »
Wow. Nice. A good signing. Scores quite a few goals from distance too. Adds more variety to our front 3.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2018, 09:55:09 am »
Looking forward to Mane doing the folded arms celebration.

And piggy backs with virgil

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2018, 09:57:38 am »
One kiss from Jurgen and this frog will be our newest Prince.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2018, 10:00:34 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if we saw him a bit earlier than we think. Remember Firmino Salah & Mane may not be up to speed or fit for the first games as they are coming back a few weeks later than everyone else right?.

Interesting how Klopp mentions "bravery" and "arrogance"....

Welcome Shaq :)

Shaqiri went as far as all of those didn't he. Salah went out in the group stages!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2018, 10:00:54 am »
But can he do it on a cold and wet night in Stoke....... oh hang on.

:thumbup

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2018, 10:03:39 am »
I have to admit I had reservations about signing him when our interest was reported, but now he is here he gets 100% backing. Reading the interviews from both Klopp and the lad himself it seems like a good fit for us, and he will bring a lot of the qualities we miss since Coutinho left us. Great at set pieces, one v one situations, great at carrying the ball long distances and also has a hell of a long range shot on him. This will be ideal v packed defences I feel, where they can stick 10 men on the edge of the box but if we have a player who can stick it in the top corner from 30 yards then its a hell of a weapon to have.

Welcome to the greatest club in the world Xherdan!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2018, 10:08:45 am »
I have to admit I had reservations about signing him when our interest was reported, but now he is here he gets 100% backing. Reading the interviews from both Klopp and the lad himself it seems like a good fit for us, and he will bring a lot of the qualities we miss since Coutinho left us. Great at set pieces, one v one situations, great at carrying the ball long distances and also has a hell of a long range shot on him. This will be ideal v packed defences I feel, where they can stick 10 men on the edge of the box but if we have a player who can stick it in the top corner from 30 yards then its a hell of a weapon to have.

Welcome to the greatest club in the world Xherdan!

Seems to be able to pick out some spectacularly good passes too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2018, 10:10:20 am »
Love this signing, massive upgrade on our other options.
Just can't wait for the season to start, we are going to play every team with as good or better squad this year. 👍

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2018, 10:12:35 am »
Didnt realise the lad has quite a bit of silverware to his name too. Winning mentality  :champ
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2018, 10:39:36 am »
I don't get how you can have mixed emotions, because even in the worst case, where he doesn't really gell with the team, I would bet we could easily sell him next summer for a minimum of 20 mill. Shaqiri isn't a real transfer target if not for the situation with his release clause, for exactly the reasons you stated. Klopp said it's a no brainer because you don't find players with his talent and breadth of experience for 13 million pounds. The upside might be in question, but the downside is pretty much guaranteed profit I think. You have the opportunity to get a player like this in a position of need for such a cheap price, you take it, no questions asked. It shouldn't even have a real marked effect on who else we can bring in this window, which is great too.

My emotions aren't really triggered by balance sheet wins and losses for Liverpool. It's more to do with quality and how I reconcile the signings impact on the pitch in my head which granted isn't necessarily what actually ends up happening.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2018, 10:42:55 am »
Welcome Xherdan!  ..some more encouraging stats;

OptaJoe@OptaJoe

77 – Only six players created more chances than Xherdan Shaqiri in the Premier League last season, while the Swiss created 15 more than any Liverpool player (Mo Salah, 62). Artistry.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2018, 10:56:07 am »

:lmao

I have a feeling that you'll make this place insufferable ;D
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2018, 10:57:38 am »
JFT 96

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:02 am »
Love this signing, massive upgrade on our other options.
Just can't wait for the season to start, we are going to play every team with as good or better squad this year. 👍

Yer, its a positive one. At 26, Shaqiri is in his prime. He is allot better than putting Lallana and Chamberlain in the front three, which we resorted to at times last season because we had no depth. Think expectations are low, because of his reputation, he came from a relegated club, he's been around the block a few times and in today's footballing world, a lowish fee. Wouldn't be surprised to see another attacking player come in too. Evolving the squad and keeping it fresh.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2018, 11:15:05 am »
He has played lots in PL, and previously for other clubs. All his pros and cons are well known by now, so I trust Klopps judgment. Doesn't get lower risk than this IMO.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2018, 11:20:28 am »

OptaJoe@OptaJoe

77 – Only six players created more chances than Xherdan Shaqiri in the Premier League last season, while the Swiss created 15 more than any Liverpool player (Mo Salah, 62). Artistry.

About this chart, does this highlight it as being a weakness of ours?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2018, 11:23:26 am »

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2018, 11:27:19 am »

I think if any of Coutinho, Oxlade or Lallana had played a full season for us they would be on there. Also, our front three seem to share around the creating duties (even if not the finishing) so nobody would stand out in this regard.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2018, 11:32:09 am »
Id say it says a lot about the quality of our MF last season. I would say though if Coutinho had played a full season I'm certain he would have been on there. So it's another reason this signing makes complete sense.

I prefer to focus on what the guy does rather than those focusing on his perceived misgivings.

As the boss said its a no brainer.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:19 am »
Just to add to the chances created chart these are his list of honours

Club
Basel
Swiss Super League: 2009–10, 2010–11, 2011–12
Swiss Cup: 2009–10, 2011–12

Bayern Munich
Bundesliga: 2012–13, 2013–14
DFB-Pokal: 2012–13, 2013–14
DFL-Supercup: 2012
UEFA Champions League: 2012–13
UEFA Super Cup: 2013
FIFA Club World Cup: 2013

Individual
Swiss Golden Player Award "SFAP Golden Player": 2012
Swiss Golden Player Award "Best Young Player": 2012
DFB-Pokal top goalscorer: 2012–13
DFB-Pokal top assist provider: 2012–13
A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2018, 11:45:33 am »

We split our chances well. I wouldn't say goalscoring was a problem for us last season in general and that's ultimately what chance creation is for. If anything I'd say it makes a strong area stronger.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2018, 12:08:50 pm »

OptaJoe@OptaJoe

That chart gives me Adam and Downing flashbacks.

Online gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2018, 12:10:45 pm »
he'll be awesome and reckon he will play in the first XI a lot more than expected. He will be playing with such amazing attackers who create so much - stoke were a bunch of has beens and so unprofessional. He will go up a level here for sure.