Author Topic: David Moyes was the manager of Manchester United  (Read 3084745 times)

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
David Moyes was the manager of Manchester United
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:50:51 am »
Hate to say it but he is a very good manager.  You have to wonder what he could do with a top side given what he has done with the bitters on a shoe string budget.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:04:10 am by SP »

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Re: David Moyes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:53 am »
Hate to say it but he is a very good manager.  You have to wonder what he could do with a top side given what he has done with the bitters on a shoe string budget.

Same was said about Allardyce after the job he did at Bolton. Then he went to a bigger club in Newcastle and failed.

Yes he's done well but he's in for a big reality check if/when he leaves Everton.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:28 am »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:20:58 am »

You know what? He handled that really well I thought, didn't act like a bug-eyed, ring chasing ghoul and actually showed a sense of humour.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:10:21 am »
Do we really need a thread on David Moyes?. Why not mention this in the Everton thread?

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:55:31 am »
Do we really need a thread on David Moyes?. Why not mention this in the Everton thread?
Sorry, didn't see.  Go ahead and merge or delete...

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:56:43 am »

Nah he's not and there position isnt far off being par given the wages they spend.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:02:31 am »
Was hoping he'd signed a new 10 year contract when I saw a new thread for him
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:31:56 am »
He obviously isnt a bad manager. He's had a few seasons where they've looked really good, and a few shit ones, and a few average ones. He over acheived in 04/05 getting them top 4, and fell at the first hurdle getting into the Champions League. This season, although they are above us currently, they are doing as much as can be expected. I still think we'll finish above Everton, and they'll finish 7th. It's average for them really, but Moyes will probably get credited with performing miracles for doing so.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:50:04 pm »
His record at Old Trafford, Anfield, Highbury/Emirates, Stamford Bridge in the league speaks for itself over the past decade...played 48, won 0.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 01:51:40 pm »
His record at Old Trafford, Anfield, Highbury/Emirates, Stamford Bridge in the league speaks for itself over the past decade...0 wins.

Let's hope that comment doesn't come and bite us on the arse later on this season. Or in the Ring, as Gollum would say.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 01:52:16 pm »
Nailed on to take the Dortmund gig in the summer when Klopp goes to Chelsea.

So Paul Merson says anyway...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:53:06 pm »
Wasn't he manager when Kevin Campbell scored in a 1-0 win?

Na was Walter Smith that
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:54:50 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:54:57 pm »
Nailed on to take the Dortmund gig in the summer when Klopp goes to Chelsea.

So Paul Merson says anyway...

:lmao

The legend that is...
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:11:51 pm »
I think Moyes has generally found his level.

He'll always be in a position of the plucky underdogs, in clubs the size of Everton, Fulham, Newcastle, that kind of size.
The middle echelons of the Premier League, if you will.

He's the kind of manager who gets the best out of megre resources, and he knows how to stretch them. Give him any kind of decent money to spend, and I think it would show up his lack of tactical nouse.

Hiding behind a lack of cash to spend, gives him a comfort zone of less scrutiny from both the fans and the English press core. 

If he ever got a serious pot of money to spend, I doubt he'd spend it that wisely, and when he starts spending towards the upper end of transfere deals, I reckon he'd get more wrong than he gets right.

I think he's a decent manager, but at a level to get the best out of a small squad, with no superstars or ego's.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:14:33 pm »
Good manager, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him doing well at a club with more money.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »
Good manager, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him doing well at a club with more money.
It would be interesting to see, if someone gave him a go.

I'm not convinced though, as I think a lack of tactical acumen to play with the big boys, would see him fall flat on his face.

It would be interesting to see if he could or couldn't though, and I don't suppose anyone will know for certain unless someone gives him a shot at it.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
Same was said about Allardyce after the job he did at Bolton. Then he went to a bigger club in Newcastle and failed.

Yes he's done well but he's in for a big reality check if/when he leaves Everton.

Chris Hughton was doing just fine at Newcastle, and he was chopped. Using Newcastle for a basis of managerial success is ludicrous.

Whether we like to admit it or not guys, Moyes is doing something right. Look at the squad we have, and look how much we spend, and we're still demanding tens of millions in the summer, to compete.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:39:07 pm »
Personally I think he'd get found out at a bigger club. I also think too much is made of him having a small squad/little money. It's hardly like he scouts potential targets himself is it? If anyone deserves plaudits, it's Everton's scouting team. Like it or not they've picked up some gems for very little money over the years. Baines, Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, Arteta, I could go on and it's a pretty impressive list.

As for the small squad, in my humble opinion I think them having little money and a pretty thin squad can help them. I don't think it always does obviously but that 'it's us against the world' mentality can go a long way to motivating a team. Also it takes the weight of expectation off their shoulders because from the off no one expects them to do well because they're skint. We've seen ourselves how damaging the weight of expectation can be at times.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:32 pm »
Personally I think he'd get found out at a bigger club. I also think too much is made of him having a small squad/little money. It's hardly like he scouts potential targets himself is it? If anyone deserves plaudits, it's Everton's scouting team. Like it or not they've picked up some gems for very little money over the years. Baines, Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, Arteta, I could go on and it's a pretty impressive list.

As for the small squad, in my humble opinion I think them having little money and a pretty thin squad can help them. I don't think it always does obviously but that 'it's us against the world' mentality can go a long way to motivating a team. Also it takes the weight of expectation off their shoulders because from the off no one expects them to do well because they're skint. We've seen ourselves how damaging the weight of expectation can be at times.

I think you're being very unfair there, mate.

Everton's scouting team is the reason they are where they are, not Moyes? Who appointed the scouting team? Who decides "Yep, we'll go for him". I'm sure there are plenty of other players suggested to Moyes where he has gone "Nope, not interested". Obviously the scouting team aren't mugs, but to give them all the credit and dismiss Moyes' role is very unfair.

Call me crazy, but I think Everton would much rather 20 million every summer, than have a "Us against them" mentality.

Offline Riedles Reds

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:46 pm »
He summed himself up for me just before the derby at Anfield last year. Beforehand I think we'd only won 2 of our last 10 maybe in the league whereas they had been on quite a good run. The press had been talking them up as favourites and most blues you'd talk to thought they were nailed on for a win. Then a day or so before the game when Moyes was asked about being favourites he turned round and said they weren't, Liverpool were. It was the same before the FA Cup semi final too. I think he likes to be the underdog. Whenever the pressure is on him to win he chokes. Wigan last week is an example, the FA Cup semi last year, the derby where we had Gerrard sent off after 10 minutes and even the derby where we had Kyrgiakos sent off after 20 minutes.

Now I'm not saying he's a bad manager. He's quite a good one but I think he's at his level and I think leaving Everton may be a mistake for him.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »
He has never impressed me - what has he got to offer tactically? Plus, he doesn't win many games away at the 'bigger' clubs.
However, credit to him for unearthing Coleman, getting Pienaar, Fellaini and Mirallas, and taking a chance on Jelavic. that's not too shabby, is it?

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:12 pm »

I'm not dismissing Moyes at all, I just think he gets far too much credit. I'm sure he does have a hand in who comes in, but that's all he has. The way people talk you'd think it was all him.

As for them wanting 20 million every summer I'm sure they'd love 20 million every summer, the point wasn't what they want, it's what they have and the fact that they have so little in my opinion benefits them.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:14 pm »
He summed himself up for me just before the derby at Anfield last year. Beforehand I think we'd only won 2 of our last 10 maybe in the league whereas they had been on quite a good run. The press had been talking them up as favourites and most blues you'd talk to thought they were nailed on for a win. Then a day or so before the game when Moyes was asked about being favourites he turned round and said they weren't, Liverpool were.
He's not the first, and won't be the last manager to play down his team's chances. Pretty common really.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 02:53:12 pm »
He summed himself up for me just before the derby at Anfield last year. Beforehand I think we'd only won 2 of our last 10 maybe in the league whereas they had been on quite a good run. The press had been talking them up as favourites and most blues you'd talk to thought they were nailed on for a win. Then a day or so before the game when Moyes was asked about being favourites he turned round and said they weren't, Liverpool were. It was the same before the FA Cup semi final too. I think he likes to be the underdog. Whenever the pressure is on him to win he chokes. Wigan last week is an example, the FA Cup semi last year, the derby where we had Gerrard sent off after 10 minutes and even the derby where we had Kyrgiakos sent off after 20 minutes.

Now I'm not saying he's a bad manager. He's quite a good one but I think he's at his level and I think leaving Everton may be a mistake for him.

Yep, he's a coward really, can get away with it to an extent at the little clubs like Everton, Preston and that but it'd end horrendously if he stepped up.

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »
Problem with managing one of the elite clubs are the huge egos of the players.

On the cover of Marca last year, for example they printed a training ground row that Casillas and (I think) Ramos had with Mourinho when they were saying Mou didn't understand the game as he had never played at the highest level.

When you are Alex Ferguson or Mourinho, however, you can at least point to the things you've won as a manager at the highest level (European competition) to establish your authority.

What's Moyes going to point to? A DVD of drawing against united?
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 02:56:28 pm »
I'm not dismissing Moyes at all, I just think he gets far too much credit. I'm sure he does have a hand in who comes in, but that's all he has. The way people talk you'd think it was all him.

As for them wanting 20 million every summer I'm sure they'd love 20 million every summer, the point wasn't what they want, it's what they have and the fact that they have so little in my opinion benefits them.

The way people talk about Mourinho you'd think it was all him.

The way people talk about Ferguson you'd think it was all him.

The way people talk about Guardiola you'd think it was all him.

The way people talked about Rafa you'd think it was all him.

Whenever we hear the list of people we almost signed it was never "The scouts identified X, Y or Z", it was always "Rafa was interested in Dani Alves, Sam Eto'o or Falcao."

A manager having scouts, what next?

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »
Very good manager with an eye for talent better than most. Never had the luxury of an open chequebook. The 'big name' managers of today wouldn't be able to do any better than he's done with Everton.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 02:57:54 pm »
Yep, he's a coward really
:lmao :lmao

Embarrassing.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »

Embarrassing.

From a "man" with nearly 30k trolling posts on an internet forum. You seriously want to go there?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
From a "man" with nearly 30k trolling posts on an internet forum. You seriously want to go there?
If I had 30k trolling posts, I'd have been banned long ago.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »
Very good manager with an eye for talent better than most. Never had the luxury of an open chequebook. The 'big name' managers of today wouldn't be able to do any better than he's done with Everton.

Or what Curbishley did with Charlton. Or Allardyce did with Bolton.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 03:01:35 pm »
average manager with little ambition

it would be shocking if he hadnt managed to build a team capable of finishing comfortably above midtable with the amount of time he's been given at everton, just shows what stability can do for a club

he does have an eye for talent, but if he was a better manager he would have achieved more success, because really, he's done fuck all at everton

0 trophies is not good enough in 11 years when you look back at the teams that have won them over those years, especially for a club of everton's size.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:03:15 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »

I've seen the brown envelopes mate.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »

You provide a bit of comedy value I'll admit, though you lack the self awareness to realise it's laughing at you and not with you.

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »
I suppose you could say one thing he does is gets players motivated and wanting to play for him. If anyone could do that with that squad of Chelsea's then you'd have to think they'd be challenging for the title again. Rafa is as good a tactician as anyone but as we've seen, it doesn't count for a lot when the players don't buy into it.

So, I think Chelsea could do a lot worse than take a chance on him.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »
though you lack the self awareness to realise it's laughing at you and not with you.
If there's one thing I don't lack, it's self awareness.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
average manager with little ambition

it would be shocking if he hadnt managed to build a team capable of finishing comfortably above midtable with the amount of time he's been given at everton, just shows what stability can do for a club

he does have an eye for talent, but if he was a better manager he would have achieved more success, because really, he's done fuck all at everton
I wouldn't say he's done fuck all.

He's taken them from trap-door dodgers to consistent top 7/8 finishers.

I do though think, he's well in his comfort zone at Everton.  He's on a very decdent pay-out himself, yet hides behind the old mantra of being a skint club.  That in itself takes a lot of the pressur off him to be winning things, as soon as it all goes pear shaped, he wheels out the samer old ' we've got no money' excuses.

There's numerous other teams with a similar level of finances as everton who've fought for trophies in the last decade, yet you don't hear their managers constantly useing the same old excuse for their failings.

As I've said, I think he's a decent manager, but in all likelyhood, reached pretty much near the top of what he can do.

If he got some serious money to spend, I reckon he could go a rung or two higher, but not much further than he has now, as every time he's come up against a decent sized obstacle, in othe managers, or organised teams, he's failed on far far more occasions than he's triumphed.

Tactically, I just don't think he's got it.

He may well be a very good coach, and a very good man-manager, but as a tctician, he's seriously lacking.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:03 pm »
He's never won a trophy for them in 11 years. ;D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »
Would love to see him take over at United.