Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2764690 times)

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1040 on: September 10, 2006, 06:29:32 pm »
Anyone, preferably knowledgable, watching the Carolina game at the moment?

I might be asking some stupid questions if they are, because I still get kinda lost in this game.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1041 on: September 10, 2006, 06:53:09 pm »
I'm watching, but I'm not that knowledgeable I'm afraid. This is the first year I've had Sky, so I will hopefully know more by the end of the season than I do now. :wave
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: September 10, 2006, 07:25:52 pm »
Listening to the Jets game on radio. Penny with almost 200 yards and a TD pass in the first half!!

Incredible.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1043 on: September 10, 2006, 08:05:14 pm »
Not looking good for Trent Green there, took a helluva knock to the head & is out sparko, Sky saying it took 11 minutes to treat him on the field.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: September 10, 2006, 08:12:49 pm »
Not looking good for Trent Green there, took a helluva knock to the head & is out sparko, Sky saying it took 11 minutes to treat him on the field.

Is that the KC game? Ha ha....Herm Edwards, what a dill.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: September 10, 2006, 08:17:35 pm »

Looked like a bad one alright. I hope there is no damage to his neck.

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1046 on: September 10, 2006, 08:36:32 pm »
Is that the KC game? Ha ha....Herm Edwards, what a dill.
Yep Green started to go into a QB slide but the Cincy defender, slightly off balance, hit helmet to helmet

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: September 10, 2006, 10:05:47 pm »
Bears looking good so far against the fudgepackers.

Really like the look of McNabb's figures from tonight now he is healthy again and who'd of thought Pennington could get those sort of numbers?

Carolina need to wake up for my bet to come in...
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #1048 on: September 11, 2006, 02:46:53 am »
NFL Week #1 (partial) summary:
 Good win by the champs over the 'Phins, though I think the 'Phins acquitted themselves quite well. They will be a force to be reckoned with, for certain.
 Reggie Bush is the real deal, folks, though the Browns' D certainly is nothing to be scared of.
 Despite how the Colts look vs. the overrated Giants, I think the champs' top challenger will come right from their own division, the Cincinnati Bengals. They thumped a good Chiefs team.
 Carolina lost? Yes, Steve Smith missed the game, but that's not the way the favorites should be coming out of the box.
 Arizona? Potent offense, but that D must be pretty pathetic to give up 27 to the hapless 49ers.
 Solid wins by the Ravens and the Eagles. They, too, will contend this year.

Very entertaining at times today. We'll see how Week #2 goes.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:53:39 pm by SteeleRED »
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: September 11, 2006, 06:27:42 am »
J E T S. JETS! JETS! JETS!

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #1050 on: September 11, 2006, 01:57:54 pm »

Geez, sound just like the bitters' fans must be feeling after they felled us. Think your euphoria will last? Probably only as long as theirs.

I mean, you did beat a quality team in Tennessee!  ::) Get back to me when you beat a real team, not one struggling to rebuild.

BTW, Kerry Collins is officially, at this moment, the most pathetic QB in the NFL.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: September 11, 2006, 03:22:09 pm »
Geez, sound just like the bitters' fans must be feeling after they felled us. Think your euphoria will last? Probably only as long as theirs.

I mean, you did beat a quality team in Tennessee!  ::) Get back to me when you beat a real team, not one struggling to rebuild.

BTW, Kerry Collins is officially, at this moment, the most pathetic QB in the NFL.

I think Collins is much underrated: a potential SuperBowl winner in future years, possibly this year except Chadwick has that locked in. Tennesse are chock full of quality footballers, I also think they could go at least to a Conference Championship this year, and but for the Jets beating them, they could have possibly gone to the Super Bowl as well: they'll finish with 1 loss for the season I'm damn sure.

One thing I do know with C Pennington is that his appendix won't explode, as he lost that sometime in the last two seasons in one of the many double-digit sack games he experienced then. Nothing like a 350 pound defensive lineman landing on you to squish out expendable body parts mid game.

The Patsies will be easy beats next week: could barely toss the Jills yesterday, and its fairly clear Tom Brady has been thinking of Smoking Pipes, not to mention going the shovel pass to his favourite reciever in Brown, rather than keeping his mind on the main game. Brady has several Super Bowl rings: putting his finger in the ring is his favourite pastime: it's just as well he has Laurence Maroney running in from behind, else Brady would find little time for anything else.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: September 11, 2006, 11:03:02 pm »
So, how did everyone's fantasy teams do? 

Do you get a trophy for most points of the week? 8)

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1053 on: September 16, 2006, 09:12:37 pm »
So, how did everyone's fantasy teams do? 

Good, it helps when your defense doesn't give up any points and sacks the Quarterback 9 times. Thanks Raiders!

Simpsons bartender Moe Szyslak with the week 2 picks:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5970360

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #1054 on: September 17, 2006, 03:44:21 am »
I think Collins is much underrated: a potential SuperBowl winner in future years, possibly this year except Chadwick has that locked in. Tennesse are chock full of quality footballers, I also think they could go at least to a Conference Championship this year, and but for the Jets beating them, they could have possibly gone to the Super Bowl as well: they'll finish with 1 loss for the season I'm damn sure.

One thing I do know with C Pennington is that his appendix won't explode, as he lost that sometime in the last two seasons in one of the many double-digit sack games he experienced then. Nothing like a 350 pound defensive lineman landing on you to squish out expendable body parts mid game.

The Patsies will be easy beats next week: could barely toss the Jills yesterday, and its fairly clear Tom Brady has been thinking of Smoking Pipes, not to mention going the shovel pass to his favourite reciever in Brown, rather than keeping his mind on the main game. Brady has several Super Bowl rings: putting his finger in the ring is his favourite pastime: it's just as well he has Laurence Maroney running in from behind, else Brady would find little time for anything else.

A little overconfident, I see  ;D
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1055 on: September 17, 2006, 06:36:36 pm »
Ha ha ha anyone just see David Akers launch himself at one of the Giants coaches on the sidelines? What was he thinking?

Offline Revenge of the Sixth

• Kopite
  • Rafa is a legend
« Reply #1056 on: September 17, 2006, 07:31:50 pm »
The Bears are on fire during the first half, Grossman threw 174 yards for three touchdowns. At halftime at Soldier Field Bears 24 - 0 Lions.  The game is being shown live on the streaming programme Sopcast on a channel called WMOE for anybody interested. Put sopcast into google, download and install and select the channel.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1057 on: September 17, 2006, 08:16:23 pm »
I am myself watching McNabb taking the piss out of the NY Giants.  What a marvellous game, heh heh...

• Kopite
  • Rafa is a legend
« Reply #1058 on: September 17, 2006, 09:03:04 pm »
Lions 7 - 34 Bears, Grossman threw 289 for four tds. Get in. Makes up a bit for before, though not much.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: September 17, 2006, 09:19:47 pm »
if DA BEARS can score anywhere near 34 points with their defence, I see the playoffs looming large...

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1060 on: September 17, 2006, 09:22:50 pm »
I am myself watching McNabb taking the piss out of the NY Giants.  What a marvellous game, heh heh...

Looks like this one is somehow headed to overtime, not the smartest of second half play from the Eagles to say the least, not that I'm complaining ;)

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1061 on: September 17, 2006, 09:25:39 pm »
::) where do you start wuth that comical performance from the fins today?

giants get the ball here now and all!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1062 on: September 17, 2006, 09:58:39 pm »
The most unlikely comeback I've seen for a while from the Giants after being gash for 3 quarters, going on to win in OT 30-24

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: September 17, 2006, 10:21:05 pm »

The only one taking the piss was Plaxico after his game winning TD catch...get that shit out of here  ;D ;D ;D

That's going to be the story of the year with the Giants...you're going to have to whip them for four quarters to beat them
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

• Kopite
  • Rafa is a legend
« Reply #1064 on: September 17, 2006, 10:25:57 pm »
if DA BEARS can score anywhere near 34 points with their defence, I see the playoffs looming large...

I think that our division is pretty weak so I wouldn't say that the playoffs is groundbreaking territory for Da Bears or is unexpected. We won the division last season and I hope the same happens again. How far we progress is largely dependent on whether Grossman can stay fit and keep throwing like he is. Our defence is incredible so with the right QB and, as a result, better reception from the WRs who knows how far we'll go?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 10:28:49 pm by Revenge of the Sixth »

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: September 17, 2006, 10:26:25 pm »
My saints are now 2-0. Surely they don't have a chance... do they? ???

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1066 on: September 18, 2006, 12:57:34 am »
Today I saw two of the worst performances by NFL qb's in both Mr Simms of Tampa Bay and Mr Culpepper of Miami. Luckily I'm not a fan of either side but both these guys were brutal today.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: September 18, 2006, 06:55:12 am »
This is what happened with 10 seconds left in regulation between the Giants and Eagles

It helped the Giants get into field goal range for the tie...there's no way Feely hits a fifty-yard field goal on the road with the game on the line.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: September 18, 2006, 08:07:40 am »
This is what happened with 10 seconds left in regulation between the Giants and Eagles

It helped the Giants get into field goal range for the tie...there's no way Feely hits a fifty-yard field goal on the road with the game on the line.

A right balls up by Philly.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: September 18, 2006, 09:09:26 am »
::) where do you start wuth that comical performance from the fins today?

giants get the ball here now and all!

Miserable offensive display against a D full of rookies. Grim viewing just about sums it up for me.

phil_j_420

« Reply #1070 on: September 18, 2006, 09:36:45 am »
Hi there, only just started watching the NFL last week on Sky, so wont pretend to be knowledgeable, I was just wondering if any of you guys could explain to me the difference between the National Conference and the American Conference?  I thought it may have been a North/South thing but then noticed that the NY Giants and the Jets play in differing ones.  Also how to the divisions work,  becasue whist the league table is self explanetory, the teams also seem to play against teams who are not in their particular league.

Finally, sorry if I am streaching your patience, but can anyone enlighten me as to the history between the NY Jets and Giants?  I know the Giants were founded first but no nothing about how the Jets came into existence.

Thanks guys.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #1071 on: September 18, 2006, 11:23:54 am »
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

phil_j_420

« Reply #1072 on: September 18, 2006, 11:54:42 am »
Thanks mate, that really helped.

Its amazing to think that the current structure didnt come around until fairly recently.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: September 18, 2006, 02:51:52 pm »
Thanks mate, that really helped.

Its amazing to think that the current structure didnt come around until fairly recently.

You'll discover that the structure of the NFL has changed on a consistent basis, including teams moving from one city/state to another one.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: September 18, 2006, 02:53:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this (mods delete if I'm not), but anyone interested in playing an American Football game should click here & look at mine:

http://www.kageinteractive.co.uk

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1075 on: September 18, 2006, 02:56:10 pm »
The Jets have been around since about 1960 when they were known as the Titans I think. They played for many years at Shea Stadium (home of the NY Mets baseball team) and now play their games at Giants Stadium in New Jersey (home of the NY Giants football team). In other words they've never had a stadium to call their own! It's really a damn shame because in some ways they've never had a true identity. They've always pretty much taken a back seat to the Giants in the NY area with just one Super Bowl win in Jan. of 1969. It's not a team with a great history by any stretch but in this day and age they're surely deserving of their own stadium.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #1076 on: September 18, 2006, 04:03:44 pm »

LOLOLOLOLOL

Jets cooled!!!

Pats settling back to normal form. Predict them to win 7 of the next 8 by a combined total of about 12 points.

That’s good enough for me. Might have to head down to Foxoboro for another game this year. Just hops it’s a bit warmer than the -12 that it was last season!!

LETS GO PATS!!!

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: September 18, 2006, 04:13:17 pm »
The Jets have been around since about 1960 when they were known as the Titans I think. They played for many years at Shea Stadium (home of the NY Mets baseball team) and now play their games at Giants Stadium in New Jersey (home of the NY Giants football team). In other words they've never had a stadium to call their own! It's really a damn shame because in some ways they've never had a true identity. They've always pretty much taken a back seat to the Giants in the NY area with just one Super Bowl win in Jan. of 1969. It's not a team with a great history by any stretch but in this day and age they're surely deserving of their own stadium.

A fact the fans of the Giants are more than happy to remind us every time we play them at the Meadowlands...

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: September 18, 2006, 04:16:31 pm »
LOLOLOLOLOL

Jets cooled!!!

Pats settling back to normal form. Predict them to win 7 of the next 8 by a combined total of about 12 points.

That’s good enough for me. Might have to head down to Foxoboro for another game this year. Just hops it’s a bit warmer than the -12 that it was last season!!

LETS GO PATS!!!

We were in the game until my fellow countryman and Jets punter Ben Graham shanked a punt for a 10 yard total punt return. Wasn't an easy game for you guys by any stretch.....and you struggled against the Jills last week. Fair to say you are almost already in the playoffs after victory against divisional rivals in successive weeks, but you'll need Porter to step up as a target for Brady if you are gonna go anywhere in them....

Offline rasher

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1079 on: September 18, 2006, 07:13:49 pm »

NY Giants identity is in NJ