Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1043431 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
HBO doing it? Fuck yes!

It's being filmed this autumn in Belfast.

If they can have the quality of Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale etc, this should be superb.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2021, 04:11:10 pm by Brian Blessed »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
Re: HBO to make George R. R. Martins 'Game of Thrones'
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2009, 03:59:03 pm »
Variety reported on 17 January 2007 that the rights for A Song of Ice and Fire have been sold to HBO with the intent of turning the novels into a television series.[1] Written and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the series is expected to cover one novel's worth of material per season. Martin plans to co-executive produce the series and is expected to write one episode per season. The series is likely to be filmed in the UK.[2]

Martin reported in August 2007 that the first draft of the script was complete[3] and stated in November that the script was approved and budgeting had begun. At this point the series had still not been officially greenlit, and the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike could have delayed the process.[4]

In April 2008, David Benioff confirmed that development of the script and series was continuing.[5] He suggested a 'crappy' tagline for the project could be, "The Sopranos in Middle-earth."[6] In June, Martin reported in his blog that the second draft of the script was complete, but again a final decision had not been made. If the series were to go ahead, the BBC would also be financially involved much as they were for the HBO series Rome.[7]

HBO exercised its option to buy the television rights to produce A Game of Thrones in September 2008.[8] Martin was quick to point out the project had still not been greenlit, but that it was an encouraging first step. In November, Variety reported that HBO has committed to filming a pilot episode before a decision is made in regards to filming the entire first book of the series.[9] The shooting for the pilot will begin in October 2009 and take place in Northern Ireland.[10]

On May 5, 2009 it was announced that Peter Dinklage has been signed on to star in the pilot and Tom McCarthy is set to direct.[11]

"The Sopranos in Middle-earth."

If this is half as good as The Sopranos, and twice as good as Lord of the Rings, we should be onto a winner.

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2009, 02:11:47 pm »
Couldn't really get into the series after the completing the first one to be honest. For a "fantasy" book, it read too much like a historical/period fiction.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2009, 02:21:46 pm »
Couldn't really get into the series after the completing the first one to be honest. For a "fantasy" book, it read too much like a historical/period fiction.

I'm the same, I like my fantasy a bit more light weight. But, I think my simpleton mind will eat up a tele programme.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2009, 04:12:53 am »
I adore the books. An adult fantasy series steeped in realism and genuine emotion. It kicks the shit out of the likes of Sword of Shannara and the Dragonrider series.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2010, 04:38:06 am »
10 minute preview for Game of Thrones is online now, this was shown before the Boardwalk Empire season finale. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVKp5nYxyI&

or if you wanna download it - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9SMBNYJW / http://d01.megashares.com/dl/CLNl4EB/game.of.thrones.s01e00.720p.hdtv.x264-ctu.mkv

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 6, 2010, 06:21:17 am »
Thought the books were great.

If it's successful, there is plenty of other fantasy stuff they could have a crack at, like the Covenant books, anything by Feist and anything by Moorcock.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 6, 2010, 04:20:41 pm »
Winter is fuckin' coming!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJR3eBfcusM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JJR3eBfcusM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en</a>
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »
Gonna be boss as fuck this, I can feel it.

Not sure I can wait until April though, especially with The Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire being over.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:49 pm »
Hmm, didn't think I'd be into this but that does look pretty good. I loved Rome, so a repeat performance of that would be very welcome!

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »
On Sky Atlantic this April. Will be boss.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:10 pm »
And yes, it will most certainly be boss.

Actually started reading this just because I heard such good things. Loving it so far, so can't wait for the tv series.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Bennyo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PZ5p18wIQEI?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PZ5p18wIQEI?fs=1</a>

Offline Stevie93

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »
Cannot. Wait.

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:03 pm »
Just seen the advert for this and to say I'm excited is an understatement. Bouncing here, cannot wait for it to start. Roll on April!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 01:30:40 am »
seen this advertised a while back really cannot wait for it.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 5, 2011, 07:38:09 am »
First full trailer. There's a preview of the first 15 minutes airing on HBO on April 3rd, before the full debut on April 17th.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfAE3hIaPm4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XfAE3hIaPm4</a>
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 5, 2011, 08:39:04 am »
This is getting so much hype that I'm starting to fear that it won't live up to expectations.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 5, 2011, 09:11:27 am »

The first one was decent; the second one started to bore and I gave it up in the middle of the third.

All the intricate power plays, while initially fun, made it tedious.

The series is named Game of Thrones - does that mean they are planning (initially, at least) to make a show out of the first book only?
« Last Edit: March 5, 2011, 09:14:06 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline andrewt67

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: March 6, 2011, 08:20:44 pm »
If you're into Fantasy Fiction and you've not read these books, then I seriously suggest that you do.

Easily the best fantasy series of books that I've read for years

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 6, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »
"The books are really deep and intelligent, so the fans tend to be intelligent." ;D
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 6, 2011, 02:06:29 pm »
If you're into Fantasy Fiction and you've not read these books, then I seriously suggest that you do.

Easily the best fantasy series of books that I've read for years

Pretty much agree with this.

Am a huge fan of LOTR and His Dark Materials but not really read any 'proper' fantasy before this. It was immense - i literally ceased to have a life for a month whilst i read all the books :)
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline Bennyo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 6, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »
Even Arbeloa was talking about this in his recent Guardian interview

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 6, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »
Has the book series finished?

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 6, 2011, 02:53:31 pm »
Has the book series finished?

Not sure it will ever finish. Still 3 to go i think...
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 7, 2011, 08:57:58 am »
Not sure it will ever finish. Still 3 to go i think...

You still believe it will be finished in three books? I like your optimism.

When the new book comes out I bet it will start throwing out more plot lines without trying to knit the earlier ones together. I just hope that he finishes the series while being alive. Don't want another Wheel of Time.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »
Saw the 15 minute preview (first 15 mins of the first episode). Looked good - showed the key points without dragging on. Lets see how it carries on.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 05:40:44 am »
Martin is 62 now. Given the fact that he's taken an average of 3 years to complete the first 5 books (the 5th is out this year), it should be done by 2017 when he's at the age of 69- which is possible.

On the other hand if he goes by the rate at which he's written the last 3 books which he's written at a rate of 6 years/book, he'll be done at the age of 74.. by which point he may well have lost the passion or possibly be dead, given the fact that he looks a little on the obese side in photos.

I'd say it's a fairly good bet that he'll experience significant health problems in the process of writing the last 2 books, and more than likely his widow will select some no name fantasy author to complete his work.

Hope it doesn't actually happen of course. I've read only the first book and don't intend on reading anymore until the series is finished. Same for The Wheel of Time

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:04 am »
Saw the trailer for this on Sky Atlantic, Looks quality,  i have looked everywhere for the exact trailer but i cant find it!

There is this gorgeous blonde chick who has her top undone and is leaning back on the bed, does anyone know who she is? Fuck me she is amazing!!

He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline loveisreal

• manloveisrealtoo. Takin' Bascombe to taskombe.
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
hmm medieval fantasy... the genre that time should have long forgotten about.  fucking dire.

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:57 am »
hmm medieval fantasy... the genre that time should have long forgotten about.  fucking dire.

Well that's sorted it then, be giving this a miss.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:12 am »
Well that's sorted it then, be giving this a miss.

It's the one of the best though. It focuses a lot more on politics and court intrigue than magic swords or talking animals. If you're a fan of historical epics like the War of the Roses or Rome ASOIAF is just brilliant. The Sopranos in Middle Earth, as the director described it.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 11:57:26 am »

I was really looking forward to this, have been for a year, but this one incredible point has made me see sense. Thank god you posted it.

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 12:44:09 pm »

hoho, he got you there. Weep quietly into the night.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »

Yes. Everyone who was looking forward to watching this tv show based on the books from a very talented writer also goes to those Dungeons & Dragons things.

I was just off to one right now, but again your incredible post has made me see sense.

I think instead I'll watch a bit of 24, then automatically go and kidnap someone, hold someone to ransom, and then reveal how everything I'm doing is actually all part of a much larger terrorist plot.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 01:17:10 pm »
Yes. Everyone who was looking forward to watching this tv show based on the books from a very talented writer also goes to those Dungeons & Dragons things.

I was just off to one right now, but again your incredible post has made me see sense.

I think instead I'll watch a bit of 24, then automatically go and kidnap someone, hold someone to ransom, and then reveal how everything I'm doing is actually all part of a much larger terrorist plot.

I see you're using your Level 25 cloak of sarcasm. Now finish him with your Level 43 Staff of Penetration.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 01:23:08 pm »
I see you're using your Level 25 cloak of sarcasm. Now finish him with your Level 43 Staff of Penetration.

I can't, I have to throw a 15 on my 19 sided die first.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »
Martin is 62 now. Given the fact that he's taken an average of 3 years to complete the first 5 books (the 5th is out this year), it should be done by 2017 when he's at the age of 69- which is possible.

On the other hand if he goes by the rate at which he's written the last 3 books which he's written at a rate of 6 years/book, he'll be done at the age of 74.. by which point he may well have lost the passion or possibly be dead, given the fact that he looks a little on the obese side in photos.

I'd say it's a fairly good bet that he'll experience significant health problems in the process of writing the last 2 books, and more than likely his widow will select some no name fantasy author to complete his work.

Hope it doesn't actually happen of course. I've read only the first book and don't intend on reading anymore until the series is finished. Same for The Wheel of Time

FUCK OFF.

Doctor fuckin Doom