Author Topic: Them and Us - Two views from Ewood Park ahead of Saturday  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Them and Us - Two views from Ewood Park ahead of Saturday
« on: October 28, 2004, 08:55:56 am »
Once again RAWK has been picking the brains of our opposite numbers to find out what opposition fans think about the Reds and their chances in the upcoming match.  On Saturday we play Blackburn Rovers, a match that last year was shrouded in controversy following the Lucas Neil / Jamie Carragher incident.  The combative Souness has been replaced by mild mannered Mark Hughes ;) and the Rovers have not had as good a start to the season as they might have hoped.

Luckily this hasn't scared off the supporters as this week we have not one but two viewpoints from our next opponents.  Our thanks go out to James Billouin from www.roversactive.co.uk and Danny from www.blueandwhites.com for agreeing to answer our questions and buy all the RAWKITES their first pint in the Fernhurst on Saturday ;-) 

RAWK:  How has the season began for Blackburn?

James:  Not so good at all, one win and the table doesn't lie! We are currently bottom!

Danny:  In terms of results, an absolute nightmare - the table doesn't lie, and you can't get much worse than 20th position.  In terms of performances, we should certainly have more than six points at this stage - a number of poor refeering decisions have severely cost us several points, but its no point whinging about that.  Individual player performances with a few exceptions have been nothing short of awful, but the Rovers fans are just hoping that this is a transitional stage under the new management.

RAWK:  What are your expectations for this season?

James:  Survival no doubt, it's been more or less the same since promotion from the old division one and so far, we've achieved it (almost ;) ) every time.

Danny: At the start of the season, most Rovers fans thought that a top 10 position would be acheievable.  After the popular (with quite a majority percent) change of manager, expectations were still high despite a number of poor results beforehand.  After a steady improvement (in performances, and not necessarily results), things have been going downhill ever since, and its fair to say that anything above 18th would be acceptable this season.

RAWK: Who do you think is your most important player(s)?

James: Without a doubt, Barry Ferguson. picked up almost every man of the match award at home, and rightly so. Former Red Brad Friedel is also an asset to us.

Danny: Paul Dickov is quite an unsung hero in the Rovers team, and a lot of the football pundits and other fans don't recognise the effort,committment and enthusiasm he puts into every minute on the pitch - I'm sure Leicester City fans would back this up.  Scored 13 goals for Leicester last season, and has chipped in with 2 (our joint top scorer) so far, despite being in a depleted team, incapable of creating chances.  Brett Emerton's form is increasing under Mark Hughes, but is ineffective out on the left hand side of midfield where he has been played recently.  Brad Friedel is the last line of defence, and has often kept scores at a respectable level  for Blackburn this season.

RAWK:  Your worst player(s)?

James: In my opinion it has to be Dominic Matteo, I believe that he has played every match this season for us, and we are yet to see a good performance. Very disappointing for such a highly rated player.

Danny:It would be harsh to say Javier De Pedro is the worst player as he has not settled in properly since his move from Spain, and has had limited opportunities in the first team.  For me, the worst player is a Liverpool old boy - Dominic Matteo.  I never understood why we signed him in the first place.  He was useless in midfield under Souness, and just as bad at the centre of defence under Mark Hughes - i've lost count of the number of times he has been liable for a conceded goal this season.

RAWK: What should those of us off to Ewood expect in the way of atmosphere, singing, pies etc?

James: The fans are friendly, the atmosphere on the ground is good as is banter! Ewood must be up there from an away fans point of view, especially as we always accommodate such a large amount of travelling fans, and they are not exactly the most expensive tickets in the premiership!

Danny: I've noticed that Anfield seems a little subdued sometimes when i watch them on TV, so there is little adaptation needed for a trip to Ewood Park.  Food & Drink is best bought outside the ground (there are a number of chippies, snack bars and decent pubs around the area) as it is mostly better quality and much cheaper.  Liverpoool fans probably wouldn't have heard about the 'fans vs club stewards' situation at Ewood Park over the past few games - theres a general opinion that theres one set of rules for the home fans (eg getting kicked out for standing up) and another for the away fans (eg not getting kicked out for standing up), and there was quite a commotion in the Blackburn End in the Middlesbrough game - the club released a statement following this, so there is quite a chance that if any away supporters persistently stand during the game then they will be thrown out - be warned!

RAWK: Any boozers to visit/avoid?

James: Try the Fernhurst,  no need to go elsewhere! The Fernhurst is thebiggest pub in the area and intended for away fans only.

RAWK: Any young up and coming players in the squad that we might not know about?

James: Paul Gallagher has played a few games in attacking positions for the first team, he is still a big promise. Joe Garner is also a striker, he is currently playing for England U17s - definitely one to watch out for in the future.

Danny: Over the past few years, with a number of exceptions, Blackburn haven't been renowned for bringing youth players into the first team setup.  Local lad Paul Gallagher, a popular playe amongst the fans, scored against United reserves on Tuesday night, and he might be given a chance in the first team with Djorkaeff and Stead out of form.  James McEveley, who burst onto the scene a few seasons ago is unlikely to feature, although a lot of fans see him as our best defender!  Very unlikely to feature in the game on Saturday, but in the next couple of years look out for Joe Garner who has been scoring for fun at club and international youth levels.

RAWK: What impression have you made of Mark Hughes since he signed and were you disappointed to lose Souness to Newcastle?

James: I wasn't disappointed to see Souness go, however I am pleased with the overall progress the team has made since his appointment. Mark Hughes really needs time to bring in his own ideas and his own players, Rovers will no doubt suffer because of the transfer window. The fans will give him time, but for the sake of the club, results must start coming sooner rather then later.

Danny:Personally, I was pleased (but very shocked) to see Graeme Souness appointed as Sir Bobby Robson's successor at St James' as I thought some of his signings, team selections plus his general attitude (eg falling out with players, constant whinging etc) were not good for the club.  I would have preferred Gordon Strachan to take over (due to the miracles he performed with Southampton), but was still pleased with the appointment of a good young, up and coming manager in Mark Hughes.  As mentioned before, performances had steadily been improving, but after the two consecutive 4-0 defeats, questions have alread started to arise to whether he was the right man for the job with his lack of Premiership experience.  But he will be given plenty of time, and hopefully his football connections (eg with Man United and Wales) might entice some quality players to the club that may turn the fortunes around.

RAWK: What sort of line-up will Hughes put up against the Reds?

James: 4-4-2: Friedel, Gray, Todd, Short, Neill, Pedersen, Djorkeaff, Ferguson, Emerton, Dickov, Stead. Quite a few changes in that team, including Todd, Pedersen, and Stead. Todd missed out on Chelsea, just returning from injury, but I think that I think Hughes may include him his time around. I don't think that playing Djorkeaff upfront really works to well, both strikers end up dropping to deep

Danny:With the signing of Youri Djorkaeff, a 4-4-1-1 formation has been used, with Youri acting as a second striker.  Whether he plays or not will determine the shape up top, but I can't see any new radical formations being tried out, although he may opt for 5 across the midfield if he feels the likes of Xabi Alonso may be a handful in midfield.

RAWK:  Do you have a favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

James: There's only one Jack Walker. Simple, but gets the message across!

RAWK:  Where do you expect  Blackburn and Liverpool to finish in the Premier League?

James: I think Liverpool will be battling with Everton for 5th place, I think that Souness' Newcastle will occupy fourth spot with the top three the same as last season.

Danny:Its worrying to see the likes of Bolton and Middlesbrough up in high league positions, but Liverpool should soon overtake them to finish either 4th or 5th.  I cant see them matching the top 3 under Benitez' first season in charge, so it should be between Liverpool and Newcastle for the final champions league place again. For Rovers, at the start of the season I predicted 8th, but now I'd be happy with 17th.  We generally do finish the season stronger, so I'd expect Rovers to gradually pick up form to finish around 14th or 15th.

RAWK: Which Liverpool player will you fear the most?

Danny:Harry Kewell - hasn't been in spectacular form for Liverpool, but he ALWAYS seemed to get on the scoresheet against us when he played for Leeds United.  Will be up against fellow Aussie Lucas Neill (expecting constant boo's from the away supporters!) on Saturday, and with Neill's recent form, Kewell should tear him to shreds.

James: I've not really followed Liverpool's progress much this season, however Garcia sounds like quite a handy player!

RAWK: And your feelings on the new \'Spanish flavour\' Benitez Liverpool and our new recruits?

James:Sounds like Rafa is taking the club in the right direction, his signings overall sound perfect. I personally was glad to see the back of Houllier, I wasn't a fan of him at all.

Danny:At first, I didn't think either of them were anything special, but Xabi Alonso has gradually been improving, and should provide a superb partnership with Steven Gerrard once he recovers from his injury.  As for Luis Garcia, I thought £6 million was a little steep, after all, you could buy Jermaine Defoe for that amount, but the goal he scored on Saturday was worth that fee alone!  One of the major complaints under Gerard Houllier was that the tradition of the club was going out
of the window, and I don't see how all these foreign signings can improve the situation (Spurs are doing the reverse with their new manager - signing lots of talented, young english players who would prosper under a more attacking style of play), but Benitez did a superb job at Valencia, so he obviously knows what he is doing.

RAWK: Care to predict the score?

Danny:Hard one to predict really, this fixture seems to produce a lot of draws, but I can't see past a Liverpool win come Saturday evening.  A good, entertaining game, but a 2-0 win for Liverpool with goals from Kewell and Baros.

James: Do I have to! I'm going to predict a 2-2 draw. Rovers will be looking to show 'bouncebackability' after the last two results!

Rawk would like to thank both James and Danny for providing an excellent insight into our opponents.  We hope you pop back in to see the reaction and join in the debate.  All the best for the season (aside from your encounters with Liverpool that is!).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 10:06:50 pm by Armin »
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Bossmann

• Anny Roader
  • Fans favourite
Re: Them and Us - Two views from Ewood Park ahead of Saturday
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 09:14:39 am »
And they claim you´re lazy, Armin! Cheers for this one! :)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 09:15:47 am »
Nice work Matt in putting that together.

Hope the lad is right about Kewell!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:29:07 pm »
One of my favourite features of RAWK - always an enjoyable read.  Thanks Matt

Offline steer

• Grampa
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 12:29:10 pm »
interesting about persistant standing....first time i have heard an announcement at half time (vs chalton) warning us that next week standing wont be tolerated.

think there could be a few chucked out this weekend....

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 12:32:43 pm »
Thanks for continuing to do this feature, my favourite bit on RAWK.

Good stuff :) and cheers to the Blackburn lads.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 12:52:23 pm »
Some good honest answers.

Should send Rafa a copy as I don't think he will start with Harry.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 12:59:55 pm »
Good stuff. Though its worrying to see them so clueless on football. Jermain Defoe for £6m? You are having one mighty 'burny laugh! I follow these on the official site as well and its worrying to see so many fans ignorant to other teams, i try and keep my eye on most teams players and how theyre playing etc but all that have answered the questions "What do you think of Liverpool under Benitez/with the Spanish inclusions/this season etc" have been totally clueless and unaware of the red machine.

Which is all well and good for me in a way as the surprise will be all the more nicer when we start shocking people again. 4th or 5th? I am so confident of us finishing 4th (and we're apparently at odds of 6/1 for the fourth place spot) that im considering putting a nice bit of wedge on it. Newcastle havent a hope in hell of taking that fourth spot from us and thats looking at things objectively.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 01:08:36 pm by Drobbo »
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 01:05:16 pm »
Danny:Hard one to predict really, this fixture seems to produce a lot of draws

I seem to recall 3 straight victories against them last season scoring 10 goals in the process ;)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 01:06:08 pm »
Brilliant idea this thread - keep it up.  :wave

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 01:07:44 pm »
Told yer! Clueless! closet Burnley fans.  ;D
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 01:07:45 pm »

I seem to recall 3 straight victories against them last season scoring 10 goals in the process ;)

Yeah I was wondering whether they had chosen the right guys to represent them when he said that!

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:52:35 pm »
Must admit I enjoyed that. Thought Dom Mondeo wold have been doing a decent job for them?
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 02:44:16 pm »

thought it was 11 goals in 3 games? 3-0 in ewood,4-3 in the carling cup and 4-0 at anfield maybe im wrong  ???
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 02:54:04 pm »
It was 3-1 at Ewood-

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=400712

Good article thanks for that, it's always nice to see opposition fans' views.

Offline Holiara

• All hail the lovely lady who brings gifts of Baileys to the weary traveller
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 03:18:04 pm »
Great Feature, keep it up please :thumbup

roversactive

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 05:27:41 pm »
Glad you enjoy my clueless thoughts!

interesting about persistant standing....first time i have heard an announcement at half time (vs chalton) warning us that next week standing wont be tolerated.
The persistant standing seems to be quite a big thing at Ewood right now. All Rovers fans recieved letters through the post asking that fans don't stand up, apperently they go even further to try and encourage away fans to sit, including use of Posters in the away end?!. It's never going to work.

Thought Dom Mondeo wold have been doing a decent job for them?
Didn't we all, he's getting worse by the game.

James (Rovers fan!).

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 08:18:04 pm »
Quality thread+ good read
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Danny_BRFC

• Boys Pen
  • Rovers T.I.D.
    • Blue and Whites
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 08:39:56 pm »
Good stuff. Though its worrying to see them so clueless on football. Jermain Defoe for £6m? You are having one mighty 'burny laugh! I follow these on the official site as well and its worrying to see so many fans ignorant to other teams, i try and keep my eye on most teams players and how theyre playing etc but all that have answered the questions "What do you think of Liverpool under Benitez/with the Spanish inclusions/this season etc" have been totally clueless and unaware of the red machine.

Which is all well and good for me in a way as the surprise will be all the more nicer when we start shocking people again. 4th or 5th? I am so confident of us finishing 4th (and we're apparently at odds of 6/1 for the fourth place spot) that im considering putting a nice bit of wedge on it. Newcastle havent a hope in hell of taking that fourth spot from us and thats looking at things objectively.

...just though't I'd register to defend myself from some unneccesary criticism....

When I said this fixture produced a lot of draws, barring last season, the last two league games at Ewood finished 2-2 and 1-1 - two games that stood out in my mind, thats why I said it.  I suppose you have a point though, only 3 of the 10 games between the clubs at Ewood (P 10, Rovers 4, draws 3, Liverpool 3)have been draws, my mistake.

Oh and I apologise for being so clueless about football...it would be interesting to see how much you know about Blackburn Rovers.

The Jermaine Defoe transfer fee from West Ham to Tottenham was undisclosed, but was in the region of £6/7 million.
Danny,
www.blueandwhites.com: Purely Blackburn Rovers

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 09:02:10 pm »
We appreciate the effort, Danny. The odd moan from our lot is to be expected! ;D

I think Defoe did go for around £8m, but of course now Spurs would ask £20m. West Ham sold him cheaper than they'd probably have wished, as they needed the money and were in a lower division.

The fact that Benitez wanted Luis Garcia at Valencia, and even this summer Rijkaard wanted to keep him at Barcelona, suggests he is a highly valued player.

As for Blackburn, I was impressed with Paul Gallacher when I saw him last season. Stead is another talented player, but now a lot more is expected from him he's struggling to live up to the hype a little - but I imagine he'll come good as he matures.

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 09:09:09 pm »
Danny_BRFC - apart for youngsters such as Paul Gallagher and Jon Stead. Is there any youngsters from the Blackburn Academy to look out for? Some good answers there :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 09:13:08 pm by ++Eli_B++ »
Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.

Offline Danny_BRFC

• Boys Pen
  • Rovers T.I.D.
    • Blue and Whites
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 09:32:21 pm »
Danny_BRFC - apart for youngsters such as Paul Gallagher and Jon Stead. Is there any youngsters from the Blackburn Academy to look out for? Some good answers there :)

I take it you mean in the first team?
The only other player recognised as a first team player, although him, Gallagher and McEveley have barely featured between them for the first team this season is Irish International Jonathon Douglas.  Established himself under Graeme Souness at the end of last season,  but didn't play much in pre-season, and has hardly had a look in the first team.  Given a 4 year contract in the summer as well - god knows what for.

It's something that needs to be addressed really, and the same goes for Liverpool (although I suppose Steven Warnock, Darren Potter etc have been given a chance recently) that not enough home grown talent is being tried out in the first team?  Theres more to lose for Liverpool as you need all the experience you can get to qualify for the Champions League, but Rovers have nothing to lose, and with the Under 18's team sitting top of the league, and unbeaten having won 8 of the 9 league fixtures, its confusing how some of the younger prospects (eg Joe Garner, Joel Byrom, Jermal Johnson, Matt Derbyshire) haven't been given a chance - they can't be any worse than the current first team.
Danny,

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 10:02:31 pm »
The youth situation at our club has been contentious for awhile now.  I think the standard answer is that there is so much pressure and expectation on managers that they daren't risk trying out young players.  Not fully convinced by this line of argument myself, I suspect there has been a loss of belief in British talent as the influx of foreign players has spiralled.  I think Jon Stead was a good example of how effective British youngsters can still be in the premier league and it was interesting to see the surprise from some that a British player from an unfashionable lower league club could make such an impact in the top flight. 

Not only have lower league clubs found it difficult to attract buyers for their home grown talent but the youth from within the clubs have seen the natural pathways to the senior team blocked by imported and experienced talent.  I also think the academy system was overhyped in its early stages, leading to a backlash when the expected results failed to materialise.

Nice to see James and Danny on here to defend themselves against some rather harsh criticism >:( :)

Rest assured I'll be checking all of Drobbo's posts from now on and should I detect cluelessness in any of its forms he's for it.  I'm not anticipating a long wait ;).

Danny I fixed the url :-[  Sorry about that.  Oh and James's site http://www.roversactive.co.uk/ is running a similar feature giving the Liverpool story,  In what can only be described as a creative masterstroke he's landed himself one of the leading authorities on the Reds as a respondent so its well worth checking out.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 12:11:52 am »
In what can only be described as a creative masterstroke he's landed himself one of the leading authorities on the Reds as a respondent so its well worth checking out.

saw that earlier today on the NewsNow site...

congrats, thought you did quite well ;).  maybe a link?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline roversactive

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 12:56:59 pm »
The only other player recognised as a first team player, although him, Gallagher and McEveley have barely featured between them for the first team this season is Irish International Jonathon Douglas.  Established himself under Graeme Souness at the end of last season,  but didn't play much in pre-season, and has hardly had a look in the first team.  Given a 4 year contract in the summer as well - god knows what for.

It's something that needs to be addressed really, and the same goes for Liverpool (although I suppose Steven Warnock, Darren Potter etc have been given a chance recently) that not enough home grown talent is being tried out in the first team?  Theres more to lose for Liverpool as you need all the experience you can get to qualify for the Champions League, but Rovers have nothing to lose, and with the Under 18's team sitting top of the league, and unbeaten having won 8 of the 9 league fixtures, its confusing how some of the younger prospects (eg Joe Garner, Joel Byrom, Jermal Johnson, Matt Derbyshire) haven't been given a chance - they can't be any worse than the current first team.

First of all, McEveley's performances have not warrented a first team return as of yet, remember he was injured for almost all of last season aswel! I see McEveley play in the reserves and i'm afraid to say its just mistake after mistake, infact he play Man United clear though on goal the other day for the reserves.

You mention Joe Garner, Joel Byrom, Jermal Johnson, Matt Derbyshire. Other names I would add to that include a young keeper called Zac Jones (U17 England international), Central Midfielder Donnelly and defender Andrew Taylor. (Donnelly and Johnson don't play a part in the acadamy side anymore).

Where you say that Rovers don't give these players a chance, I beg to differ. Johnathan Douglas played a big part in last seasons team, he came up through our acadamy, in previous seasons i dont need to remind you about Duff, Dunn, Martin Taylor, Neil Danns, Damien Johnson, Paul Gallagher (More recently)...  It's about the right player comming along at the right time!

I think that we will see some of our youngsters play a part in the team before the end of the season.

James.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 01:04:37 pm »
Quality thread...  I have a bit of a soft spot for Blackburn, hope the Reds hammer you tomorrow then things improve for you.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 01:46:18 pm »
;D Don't worry lads just winding you.

The Defoe comment sorry but that stood out as not having an ear to the door because he may have cost Spurs £6-8m or so but he'd fetch much more than that now. No point speaking of past price tags.

Apologies again if my comments seemed a bit damning just harshly poking you thats all. ;)

Cheers for supplying your thoughts.

Though i still think you're closet Burnley fans.  :P

Offline roversactive

• Boys Pen
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2004, 06:48:31 pm »
Though i still think you're closet Burnley fans.

and I think your a closet Everton Fan, so that makes us even!  ::)

Offline Danny_BRFC

• Boys Pen
  • Rovers T.I.D.
    • Blue and Whites
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2004, 08:53:29 pm »

First of all, McEveley's performances have not warrented a first team return as of yet, remember he was injured for almost all of last season aswel! I see McEveley play in the reserves and i'm afraid to say its just mistake after mistake, infact he play Man United clear though on goal the other day for the reserves.

You mention Joe Garner, Joel Byrom, Jermal Johnson, Matt Derbyshire. Other names I would add to that include a young keeper called Zac Jones (U17 England international), Central Midfielder Donnelly and defender Andrew Taylor. (Donnelly and Johnson don't play a part in the acadamy side anymore).

Where you say that Rovers don't give these players a chance, I beg to differ. Johnathan Douglas played a big part in last seasons team, he came up through our acadamy, in previous seasons i dont need to remind you about Duff, Dunn, Martin Taylor, Neil Danns, Damien Johnson, Paul Gallagher (More recently)...  It's about the right player comming along at the right time!

I think that we will see some of our youngsters play a part in the team before the end of the season.

James.

Matt Jansen hasn't played much more than McEveley in the past two years, so does that mean he's not a first team player either?

Jonathon Douglas was only played so that he would sign a new contract, and now that he has, he hasnt had a look in the first team.
David Dunn, Martin Taylor and Damien Johnson established themselves when the team was in the first division, and were only played due to a lack of quality in the rest of the team .  Neill Danns was given a chance in the league cup, didn't do anything special, and Souey only continued to play him out of hope that he would turn out to be a decent player.  Therefore, the only youth players in recent times that have broken into the first team are James McEveley, Paul Gallagher and Damien Duff.

Just look at the likes of James Beattie - if only he was given a chance in the first team set-up then who knows where we would be now?
Danny,

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2004, 09:44:42 pm »
Thats the first time ive been arsed to open one of those threads, my loss in the past.  Good read that, well done :wave   
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline roversactive

• Boys Pen
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2004, 11:25:22 pm »

Matt Jansen hasn't played much more than McEveley in the past two years, so does that mean he's not a first team player either?

Jonathon Douglas was only played so that he would sign a new contract, and now that he has, he hasnt had a look in the first team.
David Dunn, Martin Taylor and Damien Johnson established themselves when the team was in the first division, and were only played due to a lack of quality in the rest of the team .  Neill Danns was given a chance in the league cup, didn't do anything special, and Souey only continued to play him out of hope that he would turn out to be a decent player.  Therefore, the only youth players in recent times that have broken into the first team are James McEveley, Paul Gallagher and Damien Duff.

Just look at the likes of James Beattie - if only he was given a chance in the first team set-up then who knows where we would be now?

Beattie wasn't considered good enough at the time, you can only try out so many players (In that relegation season I believe that Duff, Dunn and a few others were handed Debuts?) things chanced, circumstances changed, maybe he found his match on the south coast!

Correct, the sad fact is that Jansen isn't the same player as he was prior to his accident. He shows glimpses, but nothing more. I dont think you can compare what Jansen and McEveley have been through.

Why or how Douglas played is irrelevent, the fact he did play showed that some will get chances. Frabregas only plays if Veria is injured at Arsenal, doesnt make him a bad player or Arsenal bad for not playing him.

Damien Duff was very much established in the team before we won promotion to the premiership. Duff and Dunn could of been one of a kind, you just can't tell.

Martin Taylor came up through our system and eventually he is deemed not good enough (Hence the lack of games for Brum now!).

Offline Danny_BRFC

• Boys Pen
  • Rovers T.I.D.
    • Blue and Whites
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 11:44:31 pm »

Beattie wasn't considered good enough at the time, you can only try out so many players (In that relegation season I believe that Duff, Dunn and a few others were handed Debuts?) things chanced, circumstances changed, maybe he found his match on the south coast!

Correct, the sad fact is that Jansen isn't the same player as he was prior to his accident. He shows glimpses, but nothing more. I dont think you can compare what Jansen and McEveley have been through.

Why or how Douglas played is irrelevent, the fact he did play showed that some will get chances. Frabregas only plays if Veria is injured at Arsenal, doesnt make him a bad player or Arsenal bad for not playing him.

Damien Duff was very much established in the team before we won promotion to the premiership. Duff and Dunn could of been one of a kind, you just can't tell.

Martin Taylor came up through our system and eventually he is deemed not good enough (Hence the lack of games for Brum now!).

At 23 though, Douglas is hardly youth.
Duff was established long before then - he came in the team in 1997 under Roy Hodgson - remember that wonder goal (Gascoigne-esque) he scored at Hillsborough in the FA Cup?
Arsenal can afford to throw in youth players due to the fact that the other 9 outfield players on the park can cover up for mistakes - Rovers don't have that luxury, but it isnt an excuse not to try out youth.  Paul Gallagher (eg St James Park dec 03) and James McEveley (eg man utd, league cup jan 03) excelled playing against the larger clubs, so tomorrow's game might be the perfect opportunity to throw them back in the team.  Despite Liverpool's poor away form, realistically, I dont think theres much hope of picking up any points tomorrow, so why not give some youngsters a chance? - I'm not saying field a side full of academy players, just maybe Joe Garner to add a bit of enthusiasm and work rate up front.
Danny,

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2004, 10:06:17 am »
I dont think theres much hope of picking up any points tomorrow, so why not give some youngsters a chance?

An excellent idea and one on which we can all agree :)

- I'm not saying field a side full of academy players

:(  Why not?  Splendid idea I reckon :D

Offline roversactive

• Boys Pen
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2004, 01:15:54 pm »
At 23 though, Douglas is hardly youth.
No but he has come up through our youth system, and he did okay when he was younger.

Offline Danny_BRFC

• Boys Pen
  • Rovers T.I.D.
    • Blue and Whites
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2004, 01:35:09 pm »

No but he has come up through our youth system, and he did okay when he was younger.

This debate is about giving youngsters a chance, it doesnt matter whether theyve come through the academy or not.
Why mention Fabregas - he didnt come through the Arsenal academy, why mention Derbyshire - he didnt come through the Blackburn academy.

I cant remember any of Douglas' performances when he was younger, but I'm sure he didn't influence the team in which Paul Gallagher, James McEveley and Damien Duff had done.
Danny,