Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3448801 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55120 on: September 3, 2022, 08:04:52 am »
Everything Everywhere All At Once is on Prime from today.

Watching that Sunday. Would have watched it today, but bobbling off to Goodison for my letterbox-view fix.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55121 on: September 3, 2022, 08:29:16 am »
Film of the year for me. Looking forward to rewatching it.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #55122 on: September 3, 2022, 03:53:05 pm »
Everything Everywhere All At Once is on Prime from today.

Was enjoyable but I did struggle with the rules of the universe/her powers.  It took us half the movie before realising the lead male was Short Round/Data.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55123 on: September 5, 2022, 10:56:22 pm »
Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Absolutely the best film I've seen in years. Truly wonderful.

So many elements and so much to like. More than a few nods to a host of ideas, writers and influences.

Surprisingly moving as well. Plus batshit crazy in a good way.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #55124 on: September 6, 2022, 02:26:23 pm »
Moonfall on amazon, utter dogshit that looks like it's been thrown together over a weekend

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55125 on: September 6, 2022, 02:55:09 pm »
Moonfall on amazon, utter dogshit that looks like it's been thrown together over a weekend

Yeah was a bit silly even for me that one

Interesting concept, but all over the shop :D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #55126 on: September 6, 2022, 03:32:02 pm »
You were saying you enjoyed it when it came out you blagger Andy :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55127 on: September 6, 2022, 03:50:36 pm »
You were saying you enjoyed it when it came out you blagger Andy :D

I did enjoy it - I enjoy most every film I go to the pictures to watch - but it was too silly even for me. But being in the pictures give things a lot of leeway, cos it's date night with the missus and usually a few pints :)

The only ones I can truly say that I totally didn't like that I saw in the piccies (Off the top of my head)

Er..

Lost in Translation

Er..... Trying to think of anything else so awful that I hated it

Ah

Pinnochio - we actually walked out - the new one. Batshit crazy. Oh and that horror one recently where it was just about kids getting abducted and killed. Didn't like that at all. Walked out of that one too.

Apart from that, even bad films are good in the piccies :)
« Last Edit: September 6, 2022, 05:31:38 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #55128 on: September 6, 2022, 05:21:42 pm »
Yeah was a bit silly even for me that one

Interesting concept, but all over the shop :D

Everyone seemed to be taking the fact that the ocean was covering Los Angeles and lumps of the moon were smashing into everything around them remarkably well, so fair play for that

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55129 on: September 6, 2022, 05:32:40 pm »
Everyone seemed to be taking the fact that the ocean was covering Los Angeles and lumps of the moon were smashing into everything around them remarkably well, so fair play for that

Yeah, you'd think they'd be a bit more freaked out, but there could be a bit of 'well WHAT CAN you do?"

Fatalism is a good a way as any to deal with impending doom.

I think in reality, if all that was happening around you, you'd be a bit stuffed.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #55130 on: September 6, 2022, 05:33:14 pm »

Couldn’t disagree.

It reminded me of those films we watched as kids at the Satdee Matnee.

At least I didn’t have to do a runner to prevent getting knuckled by the kids from under the bridge in Garston this time.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #55131 on: September 8, 2022, 06:58:03 pm »
thor lover and thunder

what the fuck have i just watched?

a comedy that isn't funny?

i dont know

i liked the finale bit, that was all

thor is a great comic character, i dont know what the fuck they're doing with him to be honest
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55132 on: September 8, 2022, 07:02:43 pm »
Watched the Netflix film, I Came By.

Pretty good British thriller and the Antagonist in it is played brilliant.

Spoiler
"I flushed his ashes down the Toilet", chilling AF line.
[close]
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #55133 on: September 8, 2022, 09:16:28 pm »
I did enjoy it - I enjoy most every film I go to the pictures to watch - but it was too silly even for me. But being in the pictures give things a lot of leeway, cos it's date night with the missus and usually a few pints :)

The only ones I can truly say that I totally didn't like that I saw in the piccies (Off the top of my head)

Er..

Lost in Translation

Er..... Trying to think of anything else so awful that I hated it

Ah

Pinnochio - we actually walked out - the new one. Batshit crazy. Oh and that horror one recently where it was just about kids getting abducted and killed. Didn't like that at all. Walked out of that one too.

Apart from that, even bad films are good in the piccies :)

:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55134 on: September 9, 2022, 01:31:23 am »
thor lover and thunder

what the fuck have i just watched?

a comedy that isn't funny?

i dont know

i liked the finale bit, that was all

thor is a great comic character, i dont know what the fuck they're doing with him to be honest
Chris Hemsworth is what they are doing with him.

Thor Ragnarok happened and the director just let him off the chain, same way the director of that shite Ghostbusters remake let everyone off the chain, including Chris, to tell their own jokes and improvise. He might have a good sense of humor in real life. Fuck knows. But since then he's probably fancied himself as a comedic actor in the same way someone told Claudia Winkelman, Johnathan Ross, and James Cordon and most of his mates they were funny too. It's no wonder comedy has gone down the tubes.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55135 on: September 9, 2022, 02:35:46 pm »
i've said my piece in the marvel thread so wont repeat here apart from i dont see helmsworth as the problem character wise, i blame the scripts and directors. Internally, i have no fucking idea whether actors are getting in the way of shit etc and im not sure we can know, at best what are we gonna know, a rumour mill thing?

totally agree on the other pesonages you single out tho  ;D

if i want comedy, i listen to bill burr
« Last Edit: September 9, 2022, 02:38:42 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55136 on: September 9, 2022, 08:50:25 pm »
I've nothing against Hemsworth as an actor. I think he's decent in everything he's in, but it's definitely a case of Taika Waititi giving him free reign in Ragnarok and it went from there. How else can you explain him and Tessa Thompson ending up in the lead roles for an MIB film?

The whole thing about Thor as a character was that the humor in the first film all came from the fact that he was a fish out of water scenario. What do you do with him after that? He gets kind of boring with that stick-up-his-arse persona. You loosen him up a bit and make him crack more jokes. Same thing with the Hulk, which is probably why he hasn't had his own MCU dedicated film yet. He's just been a side character mostly.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55137 on: September 9, 2022, 09:03:18 pm »
Somebody recommend me some good thrillers on Netflix or Prime, if you'd be so kind, thanks.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #55138 on: September 9, 2022, 09:51:26 pm »
Zodiac’s on Prime, if you’ve not seen that, Prisoners too.

Was a decent one with Bryan Cranston on there, The Infiltrator, sure it was due to go over the last few days though.

Oh yeah, Drive’s on there. Not so much a thriller, but just a boss film and soundtrack.
AHA!

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #55139 on: September 10, 2022, 10:16:58 am »
Yeah OJ was brilliant in his lack of reaction. Like if it happened to you, you'd be thinking WTAF

The way he handled situations really pissed me off watching it but the film as a whole has stayed with me for a few weeks now. Keep thinking that i want to watch it again which is mad considering how much the characters wound me up.

Booked to see Jaws in IMAX this afternoon. Can’t wait.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55140 on: September 10, 2022, 09:34:59 pm »
I've nothing against Hemsworth as an actor. I think he's decent in everything he's in, but it's definitely a case of Taika Waititi giving him free reign in Ragnarok and it went from there. How else can you explain him and Tessa Thompson ending up in the lead roles for an MIB film?

The whole thing about Thor as a character was that the humor in the first film all came from the fact that he was a fish out of water scenario. What do you do with him after that? He gets kind of boring with that stick-up-his-arse persona. You loosen him up a bit and make him crack more jokes. Same thing with the Hulk, which is probably why he hasn't had his own MCU dedicated film yet. He's just been a side character mostly.

i've no problem with a splash of humour, hopefully not forced, as we've seen with the avengers in general and specifically thor has his moments too

this was not that and there was plenty of crap humour attempts where he wasn't even in the scene, so i dont feel i can put it all at his door, still a director's choice in my book and one that i felt totally failed, it aint funny and the movie suffers for the overall approach going in

which, when i look at bale's performance, i can't believe even he thought it was 'that' going in, first half rattling along at 100 mph with bad joke after bad joke

i wouldn't be surprised if when he saw the finished movie he was fucking gutted, wondering what the hell the editing team had done ('well, for one, left all my shit on the floor' we hear him cry  ;D)

on a side note, i watched the first three thor film's yesterday - hadn't seen the first two for an age and thought fuck it, let's see how bad they were. They are all better movies than this last offering, even the much maligned Dark World. I like the first the most, i love origin films and while it's not exactly that, it's in that mould, so that could be my bias coming out (i know Ragnarok is generally viewed as the best). I will watch love and thunder again at some point and it'll interesting to see if i see it the way i do now
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 09:47:04 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #55141 on: September 10, 2022, 10:38:28 pm »
Anybody seen the Jaws reboot ? Not sure if to see it in imax or 3D….decisions decisions

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55142 on: September 10, 2022, 10:45:08 pm »
Anyone seen Moonlight, the Mahershala Ali film. Debating whether to order and watch it before the UFC.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55143 on: September 10, 2022, 11:28:55 pm »
Blue Collar. What a film. The 70s was an incredible decade for American cinema.

Zodiac’s on Prime, if you’ve not seen that,

One of the best films of the past twenty-five years

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55144 on: September 10, 2022, 11:31:13 pm »
Anyone seen Moonlight, the Mahershala Ali film. Debating whether to order and watch it before the UFC.

It's brilliant. Give it a shot. A slow burn but very beautiful film

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55145 on: September 11, 2022, 12:19:24 am »
It's brilliant. Give it a shot. A slow burn but very beautiful film
Thanks Max will give it a watch.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55146 on: September 11, 2022, 09:30:16 am »
Yes, agreed on Moonlight. Slow but good story and very well-acted.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55147 on: September 11, 2022, 10:09:09 am »
Went to see See How They Run last night.

Bit disappointed to be honest. Been looking forward to it, but it’s a 3/5 at best. One of those where if you watch the trailer, you’ve seen literally all the best bits of the film.

Brilliant cast, and Saoirse Rohan is a joy in it, but the story itself and the script are nowhere near strong enough.

Was still a pleasant way to spend an hour and a half, and get away from the blanket coverage of the Queen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #55148 on: September 11, 2022, 10:25:59 am »
Went to see See How They Run last night.

Bit disappointed to be honest. Been looking forward to it, but it’s a 3/5 at best. One of those where if you watch the trailer, you’ve seen literally all the best bits of the film.

Brilliant cast, and Saoirse Rohan is a joy in it, but the story itself and the script are nowhere near strong enough.

Was still a pleasant way to spend an hour and a half, and get away from the blanket coverage of the Queen.

Didn’t they play the National Anthem at the end? No respect.

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #55149 on: September 11, 2022, 06:38:41 pm »
Anybody seen the Jaws reboot ? Not sure if to see it in imax or 3D….decisions decisions

Yep. Saw it in Imax yesterday and there was max about 20 people in the whole screening . Took the missus’ 12 year old lad and he loved it. Few stood up and clapped at the end. Wrecked his head when i told him it came out in 1975. Such a brilliant film.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55150 on: September 11, 2022, 08:01:06 pm »
Yep. Saw it in Imax yesterday and there was max about 20 people in the whole screening . Took the missus’ 12 year old lad and he loved it. Few stood up and clapped at the end. Wrecked his head when i told him it came out in 1975. Such a brilliant film.
Amazing what a simple premise, some good characters, acting and writing can do for a film, eh?

I was wondering about the post saying it was a reboot. Must be a HD remaster, because Spielberg has said he's not letting them reboot it. It'd probably end up looking like a cartoon with the twist at the end when Aquaman shows up and beats the fuck out of the shark with some hardcore metal playing over the top.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55151 on: September 12, 2022, 01:46:58 pm »

Cheers for that, definitely going to see it this week....Not sure how I'll react to the head in the boat scene on a massive screen..

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55152 on: September 12, 2022, 01:57:32 pm »
Amazing what a simple premise, some good characters, acting and writing can do for a film, eh?

I was wondering about the post saying it was a reboot. Must be a HD remaster, because Spielberg has said he's not letting them reboot it. It'd probably end up looking like a cartoon with the twist at the end when Aquaman shows up and beats the fuck out of the shark with some hardcore metal playing over the top.

Probably shouldn't have said reboot it's just coming out specially made for today's cinema and a lot of effort and care has gone into it as Spielberg personally oversaw the IMAX and REALD 3D conversion of the movie...It's getting great reviews on the way it's been done   

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55153 on: September 12, 2022, 06:41:56 pm »
Probably shouldn't have said reboot it's just coming out specially made for today's cinema and a lot of effort and care has gone into it as Spielberg personally oversaw the IMAX and REALD 3D conversion of the movie...It's getting great reviews on the way it's been done   
Either way it's great to see actual cinema getting another run out. Hopefully it's successful enough for other classics to get the same and to give kids a chance to watch something on the big screen that doesn't involve spandex and capes for once.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55154 on: September 12, 2022, 07:31:18 pm »
Either way it's great to see actual cinema getting another run out. Hopefully it's successful enough for other classics to get the same and to give kids a chance to watch something on the big screen that doesn't involve spandex and capes for once.

ET in 3D was out the other week , not sure if it’s still on though

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #55155 on: September 13, 2022, 10:13:53 am »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55156 on: September 13, 2022, 12:27:17 pm »
I think over time I've realized I prefer Truffaut over Godard, but the man's legacy is incalculable. RIP

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55157 on: September 13, 2022, 06:28:47 pm »
The reviews for this are going to have to be horrendous for me not to watch it first week:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t7HT83wkVss" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t7HT83wkVss</a>

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55158 on: September 13, 2022, 06:39:59 pm »
The reviews for this are going to have to be horrendous for me not to watch it first week:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t7HT83wkVss" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t7HT83wkVss</a>
Do Olivia Wilde and Margot Robbie play the same person? Because they really look like the same person.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55159 on: September 14, 2022, 03:50:49 pm »
I think over time I've realized I prefer Truffaut over Godard, but the man's legacy is incalculable. RIP

Absolutely. Changed the films forever, hugely influential on so many great directors of today.