Author Topic: 90s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: 90s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2022, 05:19:31 pm »
Aladdin 1992 - Animated/Family Cat 7

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2022, 05:25:43 pm »
Con Air

Action

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2022, 05:42:08 pm »
Dazed and Confused (1993) - Comedy

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2022, 06:27:45 pm »
The Truman Show
(1998)
Dir. Peter Weir
Starring Jim Carrey
Cat. Comedy

Budget $60 million
Box office $264.1 million

Another film I adore: it is a magical mix of humour, thought-provoking satire and moving drama. A beautiful score by Dallwitz and Philip Glass too.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2022, 06:50:33 pm »
Starship Troopers (1997)
Dir: Paul Verhoeven
https://letterboxd.com/film/starship-troopers/

Casper Van Dien as Johnny Rico
Dina Meyer as Dizzy Flores
Denise Richards as Carmen Ibanez
Jake Busey as Ace Levy
Neil Patrick Harris as Carl Jenkins

Category 3 Adventure/Fantasy

i think i enjoyed this more than i should, i loved the twisted take on the western approach to colonisation, and the rush to invasion and war. much like Paul Verhoeven's earlier sci-fi work in the decade i feasted on the satire as much as the fantastical elements of the stories.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:13:20 pm by dis_1 »

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2022, 08:17:50 pm »
War (1995) & Blockbuster - Braveheart

A movie not without many faults, I must admit, but it a cracking movie. Please note, it is not a documentary as some think. The fact that the battle of Stirling Bridge is fought in a big green field with not a bridge in sight should just be ignored. It doesn't really matter, does it?

Wildcard (only because I can't use this as my war movie, bizarrely) (1992) - A Few Good Men

A perfect movie, if a bit too smug about itself at times. Nicholson's finest hour? Probably, and if so, obviously one of the best movies ever.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2022, 08:39:55 pm »
Face/Off - Sci-Fi

Pusher - Crime and Foreign Language

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 08:48:12 pm by AndyMuller »

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2022, 09:07:19 pm »
Man Bites Dog (1992)
Dir: Benoît Poelvoorde
https://letterboxd.com/film/man-bites-dog/

Benoît Poelvoorde as Ben
Valérie Parent as Valerie
Rémy Belvaux as Remy (Reporter)
André Bonzel as Andre (Cameraman)

Category 4 Drama/Romance
Category + Foreign language film

i've not watched this in maybe 25 years, so not sure how well it holds up today, but did watch a couple of times around it's release and it's stuck with me since. dark humour and satire, again.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:11:24 pm by dis_1 »

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2022, 10:17:40 pm »
American History X
(1998)
Dir. Tony Kaye
Starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Avery Brooks
Cat. Wildcard

Not only one of the most important films of the decade, it still speaks volumes to this date.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:21:41 pm by NICHOLLS1986 »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2022, 10:26:39 pm »
Perfect Blue -1997 (Animation)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2022, 10:31:34 pm »
Chungking Express

Wildcard (also foreign language and low budget)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:00:52 am by El Lobo »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2022, 11:00:15 pm »
The Rock 1996 - Cat 1 Action also blockbuster

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:09:26 pm by Chakan »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2022, 11:15:00 pm »
Adventure and Indie- My Own Private Idaho

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2022, 11:54:26 pm »
Total Recall (1990) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2022, 06:59:06 am »
The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) ​- Family

Director: Brian Henson

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2022, 09:48:02 am »
Point Break (1991) - Action/War/Western

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n14e2u35rUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n14e2u35rUU</a>

Just the trailer is sufficient for this. Everyone remembers how much they loved Point Break as a kid, it felt like it had ushered in a new kind of sleeker, cooler, more meaningful action film for the 90s, just as grunge had replaced the Poisons and Motley Crues of the world. Keanu and Swayze are cast perfectly and the set pieces - most notably the chase scene with people setting fire to gas stations and throwing dogs at cops - are awesome.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2022, 11:18:17 am »
Galaxy Quest - Sci-Fi - 1999 - Director: Dean Parisot

I just love this movie. A really personal choice. Being a trekkie myself, I love the reverent irreverance to it. All the tropes, costume, set are there. Clever, brilliant in part with Rickman hamming it up as only he could and Sigourney so gorgeously brilliant. Well worth a watch
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:09:37 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2022, 11:47:42 am »
Fear and Loathing in Last Vegas - Adventure (1998)

Bonkers, hilarious, and totally off the wall. Only Terry Gilliam could take one of the least filmable novels ever and somehow make it work. When even Hunter S. Thompson himself approves of the film, you know they did it right.

Fave scene -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ASCkWnxlfUA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ASCkWnxlfUA</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2022, 11:57:28 am »
Enemy of the State

Drama

Blockbuster

Budget   $90 million
Box office   $250.8 million

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2022, 12:18:53 pm »
Tremors - Horror/Sci-Fi - 1990

True Lies - Action (Blockbuster) - 1994

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2022, 12:29:14 pm »
The Wrong Trousers

Animation

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2022, 12:42:44 pm »
"A Life Less Ordinary"
Fantasy
Ewan McGregor, Cameron Diaz

"A couple of angels, O'Reilly (Holly Hunter) and Jackson (Delroy Lindo), are sent to Earth to make sure that their next supervised love-connection succeeds. They follow Celine (Cameron Diaz), a spoiled rich girl who has just accidentally shot a suitor (Stanley Tucci) and, due to a misunderstanding, is kidnapped by janitor Robert (Ewan McGregor). Although Celine quickly frees herself, she stays with Robert for thrills. O'Reilly and Jackson pursue, hoping to unite the prospective lovers."

After "Trainspotting," Danny Boyle could have filmed himself reading the phone book and I would have been all in. The fact that he came back with this charming little gem cemented his place as one of the best auteurs of the 90s. The leads have great kinetic chemistry, and Holly Hunter and Delroy Lindo make a perfect pair of angels. The soundtrack is one of the best of the era, too.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:14:42 pm by red mongoose »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2022, 01:02:47 pm »
Falling Down - Drama (1993)

On the surface, this is a film about a man who gets sick of the daily grind of life and goes on an ever escalating spree of violence and mayhem. But as the film progresses, it becomes more real, more disturbing, and below the surface you realise a much smarter film is lurking here. It's far from perfect in what it is trying communicate, but in many ways it was ahead of its time and certainly misunderstood on release. I don't want to say much more as it's not as widely seen as it perhaps should be, but the ending is a real headfuck. Michael Douglas is also incredible in this. Possibly one of his greatest ever performances.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hlzm7-gvTRg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hlzm7-gvTRg</a>
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:04:57 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2022, 02:03:52 pm »
Tombstone - Western - 1993 - Director: George P. Cosmatos

My favourite genre, weaned on them by my grandad. Tombstone is legendary to western fans. Doc Holliday, the Earps, the gunfight at the OK Coral, it's all in this seminal movie. Borders on spaghetti western occasionally but is the better for it. Kilmer kills it...couldn't resist..as Doc Holliday. Kurt Russell as Wyatt and super tash Sam Elliott as Virgil adds the gravitas to believe only they could keep Doc in check, the dying, drunken loose cannon with the well spoken repartee. Gun or gob, either will strike you down. There's no redemption in the great westerns. It's all tragedy, shot dark and atmospheric with boss costumes and the moustaches are a thing of beauty. Beautifully brutal as a good old 'cowie' should be.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:21:51 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2022, 02:11:07 pm »
Titanic
Wildcard + Blockbuster
James Cameron
Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet

It's a great romantic story and a technical triumph. It's exciting and terrifying. But it's also the only big movie left which I can stand.

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2022, 02:25:17 pm »
Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - Drama/Romance (and low-budget film)

Nic Cage fully deserved the Oscar for this but Elizabeth Shue is also sensational, giving an extremely subtle performance that mixes tenderness, worldweariness and vulnerability. None of it would work without Mike Figgis's excellent direction, which adopts an indie aesthetic to capture one man's descent into oblivion and the inability of anyone around them to stop it. The jazzy score is great too.

But this is Cage's film, easily one of the best performances of the decade. Most actors would have played the role with some degree of vanity, as an Oscar drunk who swaggers around the bars (I love Val Kilmer in Tombstone but it's the epitome of that performance). Cage has no vanity as an actor, he looks visibly ill throughout and comes across completely like someone who's helpless and losing control of their mind, body and sense of self. When he's drinking vodka out of the bottle he looks like a man dying of thirst, frantically trying to get some water down his throat.

This is a pretty good compliation of some of the best scenes. Love the contrast between the subtlety of the scene where Cage lowers the bottle as a motorcycle cop pulls level and you see him get more and more impatient in the few seconds before the cop speeds ahead, and the one where he flips the table after he can't get a drink.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ySLKeEDf69o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ySLKeEDf69o</a>

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2022, 02:52:16 pm »
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991) ​- Fantasy

Director: Peter Hewitt

Give it up for Death!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 02:55:42 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2022, 02:56:01 pm »
The Blair Witch Project (1999) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi

Bit of a marmite film. People either seem to love or despise it. Personally, it's my all-time favourite horror film, and one of the scariest, most immersive, movie-going experiences I've ever had. It's a genre masterpiece.

The genius of it, it's in the filmmaking choices. From the first-person POV and rough camera work, to the subtle but amazing sound design. From the naturalistic performances to the jarring editing. The direction is also superb, slowly but seamlessly showing the descent of the characters into paranoia and despair. It all works perfectly to create a dreading atmosphere that maximises a simple but effective premise.

There's not a moment in the film in which you feel what you're watching isn't real, and that's what make it so scary. Oh, and the end will haunt your dreams.

The best horror movie of the 90s.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:22:53 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2022, 03:29:39 pm »
Animated- The Lion King

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2022, 03:32:05 pm »
Ghost in the Shell 1995 - Cat 6 Sci-Fi and Foreign film

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2022, 04:37:45 pm »
Edward Scissorhands-1990 (Fantasy)

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2022, 04:40:55 pm »
Back To The Future Part 3

Sci-Fi

Don't even care, its still fucking great

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:00 pm »
Dances with Wolves
(1990)
Dir. Kevin Costner
Starring Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, Graham Greene
Cat. Adventure

A sumptious epic to get lost in, helped by Costner's poetic storytelling, Dean Semler's beautiful cinematography and John Barry's sweeping score.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2022, 06:44:17 pm »
The Mask - Comedy

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2022, 06:53:55 pm »
Horror & Foreign Language - 1998 - Ringu

Best horror movie of the decade for me.

Animation - 1999 - The Iron Giant

One word, Superman.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2022, 07:08:07 pm »
Ghost Dog: The Way of The Samurai - Wildcard and Indie

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2022, 08:48:18 pm »
The Usual Suspects
(1995)

Cat 2

A deliciously crafted gem from the 90s.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:46:20 pm by NICHOLLS1986 »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2022, 08:58:55 pm »
Jackie Brown - 1997 (Thriller/Crime)

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2022, 09:11:23 pm »
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Dir: Steven Spielberg
https://letterboxd.com/film/saving-private-ryan/

Tom Hanks as Captain John H. Miller
Edward Burns as Private First Class Richard Reiben
Matt Damon as Private First Class James Francis Ryan
Tom Sizemore as Technical Sergeant Mike Horvath

Category 1 Action/War/Western
Category + Blockbuster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Private_Ryan

Gattaca (1997)
Dir: Andrew Niccol

Ethan Hawke as Vincent Freeman, impersonating Jerome Eugene Morrow
Uma Thurman as Irene Cassini
Jude Law as Jerome Eugene Morrow

Category 6 Horror/Sci-Fi

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:12:40 pm by dis_1 »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2022, 09:43:56 pm »
Theres Something About Mary

Comedy