Author Topic: Trains from London - any general tips, please?  (Read 58448 times)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 07:16:39 pm »
Fuck sake, someone must've taken the last £30 ticket  ;D

Going to brave the LFC London bus. Might possibly get home about 3am...!  :)
YNWA.

Offline TeddyTime33

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA, Chester via Newtownards
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 07:24:08 pm »

Worth it for the Reds

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 09:51:52 am »
Booked my train for spurs yesterday. Return from Euston to lime street is ridiculously priced that sunday so i've booked Euston to birm (New street) and then to lime st. Same again on the way back. 19:32 train at lime and then 21:30 at new st. Back in london at 23:23.
£22.70 total with a 26-30 railcard.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2019, 12:05:55 pm »
Booked my train for spurs yesterday. Return from Euston to lime street is ridiculously priced that sunday so i've booked Euston to birm (New street) and then to lime st. Same again on the way back. 19:32 train at lime and then 21:30 at new st. Back in london at 23:23.
£22.70 total with a 26-30 railcard.

Decent price. Annoyingly my 26-30 railcard runs out at the end of the season!
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2019, 12:27:49 pm »
Decent price. Annoyingly my 26-30 railcard runs out at the end of the season!

Make a new account just before you turn 31. extra 30 quid but get a few more months use out of it
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2019, 03:10:32 pm »
Make a new account just before you turn 31. extra 30 quid but get a few more months use out of it

Smart! Will do.
YNWA.

Offline simbo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2019, 03:34:40 pm »
I walk from Lime Street to the ground and usually takes me 40 minutes so running you should be fine for 30 minutes

Whats your walking route? I've never walked it before but I could do with a walk to lose some pounds lol

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2019, 03:36:50 pm »

How was the LFC London bus experience?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:34 pm »
Whats your walking route? I've never walked it before but I could do with a walk to lose some pounds lol

Walking to anfield is hilly, whichever way you go!

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2019, 05:52:08 pm »
How was the LFC London bus experience?

Ended up getting a lift thankfully but still ended up being a 10 hour travel day.

It's a good bunch of lads but just takes ages - it's a coach and it stops a few times understandably.
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2019, 05:54:54 pm »
Walking to anfield is hilly, whichever way you go!

It's a great walk in a sunny day but definitely hill-y. If it's windy there's the bits of Rupert Lane(?) Park where I felt I was about to fly away.
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2019, 11:21:27 am »
That 4 hour train was looooong. First and last time I will intentionally book that one. Arrived at Lime street at 12:05 instead of 11:43. Power walked half way up and then caught cab the other half for a fiver. arrived 3 mins into the game. If we had caught the cab straight away we would have made it.

Also walked passed 2 seperate guys on phones while walking around the stadium, because the match had already started there was hardly anyone outside, both talking about giving there cards away and the second one was even happy that he even got the cards back straight away. So obvious who the touts are!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2019, 12:59:15 pm »
Arrived about an hour before kick off. Decided to wait for the Soccerbus. Got to be ground about 5 minutes before kick-off. They don’t have enough buses running. First I’ve seen it so bad. Would’ve been quicker to walk lol. Generally save my legs for the walk back!
YNWA.

Offline anitrella

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2019, 01:45:11 pm »
Arrived about an hour before kick off. Decided to wait for the Soccerbus. Got to be ground about 5 minutes before kick-off. They don’t have enough buses running. First I’ve seen it so bad. Would’ve been quicker to walk lol. Generally save my legs for the walk back!

Was a nightmare for the buses, early kick off paired with the demolition of the Churchhill Way flyover, loads of diversions and traffic

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2019, 07:11:06 am »
Anyone else gambled and booked the Advance tickets for the City game. Only 8 seats left on virgin for the return cheapest ones. I might just gamble and book it for a sunday 16:30 kick off.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »

Buses have been a joke since the new Main Stand opened.  After the final whistle, I can walk back into the city more quickly.  The bus back is a minimum 20-minute journey, after at least 20 minutes queuing to get on it.  Walking is 30 minutes total.

Going up to the ground last Saturday, the bus queue went all the way back from Lime Street round to where the buses used to load opposite the Marriott.

They generally have a group of bus company staff standing around doing nothing.  Quite what their point is, I don't know.  There's no reason why they can't do like Manchester trams do on match-days and sell tickets to people queued up and also provide an online purchase option.

When a bus turns up, it should be really quick to get the next 100-odd people on board if they've already bought their ticket.  Getting the driver to do the ticket selling is crazy.  Only loading one bus at a time is crazy.

This is easily fixable is the bus companies could just be arsed.  This is only get to get worse if/when we extend the ground further.

Is the taxi-bus still running?  I couldn't find that on Lime Street on Saturday.  Ended up getting a normal taxi instead.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2019, 10:49:06 pm »
Buses have been a joke since the new Main Stand opened.  After the final whistle, I can walk back into the city more quickly.  The bus back is a minimum 20-minute journey, after at least 20 minutes queuing to get on it.  Walking is 30 minutes total.

Going up to the ground last Saturday, the bus queue went all the way back from Lime Street round to where the buses used to load opposite the Marriott.

They generally have a group of bus company staff standing around doing nothing.  Quite what their point is, I don't know.  There's no reason why they can't do like Manchester trams do on match-days and sell tickets to people queued up and also provide an online purchase option.

When a bus turns up, it should be really quick to get the next 100-odd people on board if they've already bought their ticket.  Getting the driver to do the ticket selling is crazy.  Only loading one bus at a time is crazy.

This is easily fixable is the bus companies could just be arsed.  This is only get to get worse if/when we extend the ground further.

Is the taxi-bus still running?  I couldn't find that on Lime Street on Saturday.  Ended up getting a normal taxi instead.

Yeah it's outside St George's Plateau usually, was on it for the Norwich and Arsenal games
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2019, 08:54:14 am »
Why don't you just get the normal bus from Queen's Sq?

Offline jdirckze

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2019, 09:21:35 am »
the no 17 can be a nightmare sometimes. On Saturday 2 successive 'due' buses simply disappeared off the board.  We've waited 40 mins there in the past for a bus that's supposed to come every 10mins or so .

Online redman1974

• Legacy Fan
  • scottkop105 on twitter My new number 07511165355
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2019, 10:16:24 am »
Just get the 14 from queens square and get off near the Cabbage hall and walk the 5 min walk

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2019, 10:55:25 am »
If we see a 14 or 17 in Queen Square, that's exactly what we do.  But when there's none in, past experience is that it can be a very long wait before one turns up.

Of course, shoppers won't thank us if thousands of fans follow suit.  Rightly, they expect us to take our dedicated buses.  So it's important to get the match buses running efficiently.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:57:48 am by MKB »

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2019, 12:31:37 pm »

I did this once. I paid and then the driver tutted and swore because apparently I "had" to take the soccerbus. I have no idea if that's true but have not bothered since.
YNWA.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2019, 01:35:10 pm »
I did this once. I paid and then the driver tutted and swore because apparently I "had" to take the soccerbus. I have no idea if that's true but have not bothered since.

Probably a bluenose
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #63 on: October 4, 2019, 03:12:55 pm »
Hi guy's I have a spare return train ticket from Euston tomorrow. 11:07, arriving at 13:19 and then the return is at 17:47, arriving at 19:58. It's a 26-30 railcard ticket though. £24.40 if anyone is interested. I'm going aswell so will meet you at the station.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 4, 2019, 03:20:38 pm »
Hi guy's I have a spare return train ticket from Euston tomorrow. 11:07, arriving at 13:19 and then the return is at 17:47, arriving at 19:58. It's a 26-30 railcard ticket though. £24.40 if anyone is interested. I'm going aswell so will meet you at the station.

Great price that! i booked the one arriving 14:19 for about £28. Should've gone with your timing.
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #65 on: October 4, 2019, 03:29:37 pm »
Great price that! i booked the one arriving 14:19 for about £28. Should've gone with your timing.
Booked it back towards the beginning of August.
Got spurs £22.70, City for £24.40 and brighton for £25. I'm risking it because I ain't got tickets yet. Doesn't look like my mate can get a Leicester ticket so thats his train ticket that he's trying to sell.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:01 am »
Got 1 spare train ticket for sunday. London Euston to Birmingham new street and then change to lime street. Return ticket. £22.70 if anyone is interested and 26-30 railcard needed
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2019, 09:52:46 am »
Got 1 spare train ticket for sunday. London Euston to Birmingham new street and then change to lime street. Return ticket. £22.70 if anyone is interested and 26-30 railcard needed

Is this like a 4 hour journey each way? It's Diwali so trying to do the quickest possible in-out job, otherwise would have definitely taken.
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2019, 11:07:10 am »
Yeah its 4 hours in total each way
Eus 8:24 - 11:02 arr. Bir New street
Bir 11:40 - arr. 13:21 Lime st.

Return:
Liv 19:32 - arr. 21:15 birm
Birm 19:20 - arr. 23:23 euston
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
Do the four hour long West Midlands route have decent WiFi / phone connectivity?

Might start taking that for weekday games so I can "work from home".
YNWA.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2019, 12:24:18 pm »
Yeah the WIFI is really good West Midlands wise.

Anyone who doesn't know, there is a way for the same cost that involves changing at Crewe which is about 45 minutes shorter.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »
Yeah the WIFI is really good West Midlands wise.

Anyone who doesn't know, there is a way for the same cost that involves changing at Crewe which is about 45 minutes shorter.

Cheers - useful tip. Don't think Splitticketing takes that in to consideration from what I've seen so far.
YNWA.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2019, 01:13:16 pm »
Search on the London Northwestern site and select 'Our trains only' and it shows up. Usually there's a 2 minute window to make a connection at Stafford and they're usually ok with you getting on that one as opposed to the one you should get half an hour late even though it isn't the right train.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 3, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
Got a spare Under 30 train ticket from Liverpool -> London at 18.47pm today if anyone needs for whatever reason. I took an earlier train to get some work done...
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #74 on: January 3, 2020, 01:57:47 pm »
Got a spare Under 30 train ticket from Liverpool -> London at 18.47pm today if anyone needs for whatever reason. I took an earlier train to get some work done...

Hey mate. I know you live in london like myself. Whats usually your plan for midweek games? I avoid them as there are no trains back same night and don't really want to drive back down.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #75 on: January 3, 2020, 02:42:28 pm »
Hey mate. I know you live in london like myself. Whats usually your plan for midweek games? I avoid them as there are no trains back same night and don't really want to drive back down.

When I did midweek home games, I'd usually get an overnight coach, either a National Express or a Megabus, took about 6hrs but you can normally get a cheap ticket.  Goes from Liverpool One.

Not done it for years, so not sure on exact timetable/current prices

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 3, 2020, 02:45:58 pm »

Past couple games I've been doing a £35-ish train (around 2pm leaving London, returning sometime the next day) and then a £20-odd easyHotel or £10-odd hostel (or whatever is cheap at the time).

The issue really is getting back the next day. My old boss was fairly flexible with me "working from home" (aka a cafe in Liverpool or the train) but if I need to get in it's a pain. Paid an extra £18 today to do a 3.5 hour train to get in for 10am. Shattered!
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #77 on: January 3, 2020, 03:06:43 pm »
When I did midweek home games, I'd usually get an overnight coach, either a National Express or a Megabus, took about 6hrs but you can normally get a cheap ticket.  Goes from Liverpool One.

Not done it for years, so not sure on exact timetable/current prices

Past couple games I've been doing a £35-ish train (around 2pm leaving London, returning sometime the next day) and then a £20-odd easyHotel or £10-odd hostel (or whatever is cheap at the time).

The issue really is getting back the next day. My old boss was fairly flexible with me "working from home" (aka a cafe in Liverpool or the train) but if I need to get in it's a pain. Paid an extra £18 today to do a 3.5 hour train to get in for 10am. Shattered!

Cheers guys. Will look to attend weekday games next season. For this one though I will continue with just the weekend.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline benitezexpletives

• Anny Roader
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2020, 01:22:47 pm »
What are people's experiences with the LFC London supporter's club? From what I can see their reputation isn't great and there a lot of questions I've seen online as to where all of the subscription fees and ticket allocations are going - a general lack of transparency it seems.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2020, 02:28:51 pm »
What are people's experiences with the LFC London supporter's club? From what I can see their reputation isn't great and there a lot of questions I've seen online as to where all of the subscription fees and ticket allocations are going - a general lack of transparency it seems.

Was signed up to them for a year. Applied for tickets for every game that they advertised and never got a single one. From what i can tell they have a close bunch of known people that are 1st choice for tickets
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐