Author Topic: Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports  (Read 44359 times)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
Re: Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:06 pm »
Me and the Mrs went on the train to sandhills and got the soccerbus just like match day , she was made up doing what me and the kids normally do , it took less time than match day and was a breeze. On the way back to sandhills there were loads of oot taxis parked in the road like beauts all the way down to Everton brow , causing all kinds of delay. Needless to say no traffic plod in sight. Train was busier on way back but still underused, probably because people came from all over the country . All in all a well organised well attended well good night.
How many artists can fill anfield though? 6 a year will take some finding if they want 50000

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2019, 04:09:50 pm »
Me and the Mrs went on the train to sandhills and got the soccerbus just like match day , she was made up doing what me and the kids normally do , it took less time than match day and was a breeze. On the way back to sandhills there were loads of oot taxis parked in the road like beauts all the way down to Everton brow , causing all kinds of delay. Needless to say no traffic plod in sight. Train was busier on way back but still underused, probably because people came from all over the country . All in all a well organised well attended well good night.
How many artists can fill anfield though? 6 a year will take some finding if they want 50000

Moondog, by chance do you think that these extra events could have some tie in opening the other train station and rail line to help ease congestion and then allow the Club to redevelop the Anfield road end to take the stadium past the  60,000+ mark??

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2019, 04:11:36 pm »
Moondog, by chance do you think that these extra events could have some tie in opening the other train station and rail line to help ease congestion and then allow the Club to redevelop the Anfield road end to take the stadium past the  60,000+ mark??

Not going to happen, the cost is astronomical.

There would need to be a solid case without the football/added fixtures at Anfield and be mostly funded by the council/govt.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2019, 04:19:45 pm »
Not going to happen, the cost is astronomical.

There would need to be a solid case without the football/added fixtures at Anfield and be mostly funded by the council/govt.

Thanks for the response. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2019, 04:23:45 pm »
Thanks for the response.

Numbers spoken about in the past have been £100m+ to convert the line to a passenger capable line, plus £10m+ per station.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2019, 04:24:19 pm »
Anyone got any idea of the £ that the club will have earned for hosting the 3 concerts?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2019, 04:30:36 pm »
Anyone got any idea of the £ that the club will have earned for hosting the 3 concerts?

Matchday income in 17/18 was £80.7m and we played 27 games. So an average for a football game of pretty much £3m.

Not sure what that really tells us, as imagine we only take a relatively small cut from the ticket income (which would be less than the football) by the time the artist take theirs and the costs to host are taken off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2019, 05:08:53 pm »
Got a feeling we dont take any cut of ticket sales. It'll just be a flat rate to book the stadium.

I think the VIP seats (exec boxes and main stand middle tier) were sold through the club website so i'm guessing we'll get that.

It'll come out in the wash when we publish earnings

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2019, 05:10:58 pm »
Got a feeling we dont take any cut of ticket sales. It'll just be a flat rate to book the stadium.

I think the VIP seats (exec boxes and main stand middle tier) were sold through the club website so i'm guessing we'll get that.

It'll come out in the wash when we publish earnings

Tickets were all sold via the website weren't they?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2019, 05:17:03 pm »
Tickets were all sold via the website weren't they?

Nope. Ticketmaster

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2019, 05:19:07 pm »
Nope. Ticketmaster

Ah right, thought I remember seeing them all on there.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:30 pm »
Went to the Bon Jovi gig and barring the enormous queue to get into standing via ST1 whilst people entering via ST2 seemed to get in without a queue at all I thought it was really well set up. Only thing I thought was that standing seemed ridiculously busy.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2019, 11:50:38 pm »

I don't see the events being the reason to open up the other train line, as that could cost hundreds of millions for very few journeys. However the additional income could help with redevelopment of ARE, and I bet the club sold a whole load of wine,gin and snacks at these events . I am not sure of the Tottenham calculation of customer expenditure, but at £25 for wine and a fiver for a Carlsberg, safe to say the bar take was healthy . No cheese room is a big let down though.

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2019, 02:11:06 pm »
me mates bro works doing the stadium tours.  The Act has the stadium for a few days before and a few days after while they set up and take down.  During this time, no stadium tours are conducted (therefore he has no hours in work).  The acts probably pay for a rental of the stadium over say a week and Liverpool take in all of the concert day cash.
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2019, 05:30:25 pm »
Numbers spoken about in the past have been £100m+ to convert the line to a passenger capable line, plus £10m+ per station.

Those costs were based on electrification of the line - this may happen anyway as diesel locomotives are phased out in line with new legislation but more importantly the new merseyrail trains do not require full electrification and can run on batteries on that line. So the area where cost would be highest is now removed. The station to  build would cost £15m i.e. similar cost to Maghull.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2019, 05:47:54 pm »

About £7 million.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #96 on: July 1, 2019, 12:52:17 pm »
I don't see the events being the reason to open up the other train line, as that could cost hundreds of millions for very few journeys. However the additional income could help with redevelopment of ARE, and I bet the club sold a whole load of wine,gin and snacks at these events . I am not sure of the Tottenham calculation of customer expenditure, but at £25 for wine and a fiver for a Carlsberg, safe to say the bar take was healthy . No cheese room is a big let down though.

I don't think the events in and of themselves are a reason to open up the train line. But the events plus an expanded ARE would be more then enough reason. Anfield (the area) already struggles with the match day capacity as it is. The train would be a godsend for match goers from the south of the city as well as outside of the city, as well as the local residents who'd have less match day traffic to deal with.

I don't know what the costs would be. Although you'd have to hope the council would help with that one. But I would assume that the areas capacity to handle an additional 6,000 match goers is one of the key stumbling blocks to planning permission.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 1, 2019, 12:58:57 pm »
I think had Everton gone with improving goodison into a 40-50k stadium then a rail link would have been a no brainer

As it stands there really isn't the money for a proper link between Anfield and the city

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: July 1, 2019, 01:02:11 pm »
Those costs were based on electrification of the line - this may happen anyway as diesel locomotives are phased out in line with new legislation but more importantly the new merseyrail trains do not require full electrification and can run on batteries on that line. So the area where cost would be highest is now removed. The station to  build would cost £15m i.e. similar cost to Maghull.

Surely the line would still need upgrading to accept passenger trains, even if not electricifcation?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #99 on: July 1, 2019, 05:54:37 pm »
About £7 million.
Just out of interest, where did you get that info from, if you don't mind me asking?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #100 on: July 1, 2019, 07:32:00 pm »
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/walton_and_anfield/

interesting that there's a line from Kirkdale to Anfield, and used to be a station there too...

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: July 3, 2019, 05:38:01 pm »
Just out of interest, where did you get that info from, if you don't mind me asking?

Best guess - but each concert was sold out - the LFC website says that the capacity for concerts with a stage at the ARE will be approximately 50,000. 3 concerts means 150,000 tickets sold. The hospitality tickets were £250ish to £360. Other tickets started at £50ish and many were £125.  So broadbrush... call it an average of £80 per person  150,000x£80 =£12m. Say 75% spend £10 on food/drink that's another £1.125m.

The next bit is based on what little info I can find but what I can find says that stadium venues can take between 30% and 50% of the gross take. 50% of £13.125m = £6.5m

Could be more could be less but not bad for 3 nights work... imagine if they get their 10 events post season a year in addition to the stuff in season.... nice little Mbappe fund raiser!

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #102 on: July 3, 2019, 05:57:05 pm »
Surely the line would still need upgrading to accept passenger trains, even if not electricifcation?

The line has had a significant amount of work done on it as the volume of stuff from the port has rise, I am sure I read somewhere now that is has 46 trains a day running on it. The gauge is obviously the same and the freight trains are significantly heavier. Not sure about signalling and that might need an upgrade, certainly if you have trains stopping at various spots on the way and maybe points etc would have to be added to allow trains to cross tracks and go back the way they came e.g. if you could only build the platform on one side (i.e. pub side) so dropping off would be ok but when returning if going back the same way, train might have to go reverse through points onto the return track if that makes sense - the kind of thing they do now at Bhead Central etc when dealing with delayed trains.

The major cost would be the station I think still... but would they do it just for one station or would they have to re-open the other stops, i.e. the Anfield station is £15m, but if you have to open 4 other stations is starts getting very expensive.

From a cost perspective, how many people would actually get the train to their, it is still a decent walk albeit a nice straight line. But say you get 25,000 on the train at I dunno £5 return from town. 27 home games... 675,000 tickets sold £3.375m pa...   is it worth it for Merseyrail.

The other thing on the electrification front is that with the new carbon initiatives etc, the plan is for all commercial rail routes to be electrified so diesel trains can be phased out and the date set for that to be completed is 2040.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 3, 2019, 10:40:56 pm »
Best guess - but each concert was sold out - the LFC website says that the capacity for concerts with a stage at the ARE will be approximately 50,000. 3 concerts means 150,000 tickets sold. The hospitality tickets were £250ish to £360. Other tickets started at £50ish and many were £125.  So broadbrush... call it an average of £80 per person  150,000x£80 =£12m. Say 75% spend £10 on food/drink that's another £1.125m.

The next bit is based on what little info I can find but what I can find says that stadium venues can take between 30% and 50% of the gross take. 50% of £13.125m = £6.5m

Could be more could be less but not bad for 3 nights work... imagine if they get their 10 events post season a year in addition to the stuff in season.... nice little Mbappe fund raiser!

Thanks for the reply.  :thumbup

As you said; not bad at all for three nights work.

Hopefully the local residents didn't encounter too many problems and this leads to getting more events lined up in future.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 5, 2019, 12:27:14 am »
I'm no fan of Pink but I just saw this footage of her Anfield show and it's pretty spectacular.

No way would you catch me flying around on a wire like that.  :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-LQKjjss-j0&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-LQKjjss-j0&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: July 5, 2019, 01:42:44 am »

Thanks for the response. Not being a local I didn't have a clue to what the rail set up was like.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2019, 01:47:18 am »
They mentioned Anfield hosting the boxing in 2020 more than a few times in commentary on Saturday, headed up by a possibility of a Canelo/Smith fight top of the bill
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2023, 07:48:00 pm »
Taylor Swift playing at Anfield 14th and 15th of June 2024. Where's the Taylor Swift money John?

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1671198609390415895

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2023, 01:14:43 pm »
Do they run shuttle buses from town for concerts, like match days?

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2023, 03:11:29 pm »
I'm no fan of Pink but I just saw this footage of her Anfield show and it's pretty spectacular.

No way would you catch me flying around on a wire like that.  :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-LQKjjss-j0&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-LQKjjss-j0&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Should have got Charlie Adam to do that while he was playing with us, just to make himself useful.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2023, 06:34:42 pm »
Do they run shuttle buses from town for concerts, like match days?
Yes they do. For last year’s Elton John gig, we caught the shuttle from next to St George’s Hall and then caught the return bus back into town from the bottom of Walton Breck Road. The return queues were ridiculous and I would expect them to have that sorted by now.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2023, 07:59:47 am »
Looks like Pink is back at Anfield in summer 2024.