Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 773758 times)

Offline Bendomac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
So Joe's been given the number 12.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188894-reds-confirm-new-boys-squad-numbers

I noticed this during the game the other day and thought that was strange given how their is still a lot of chatter about a loan.

This would suggest he's not getting loaned out this season which I am thrilled about, I personally thought he looked very very good in the first half and it seems Rodgers agree's with me:

"I was pleased for all the new players that played, I thought James Milner was outstanding, showed his quality, his intensity. Nathaniel Clyne was excellent, I thought young Joe Gomez in the first half came in and was very, very good."

Backup right back sorted lads.
First choice left back sorted lads.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:17:18 pm by royhendohohohoho! »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
Re: Joseph Dave Gomez - Liverpools number 12
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:21:47 pm »
Backup right back sorted lads.

I thought we needed a backup LB ??? ;)

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 04:26:34 pm »
a certain mr maguire wants a chat mate

The 2nd half with Clyne and Maguire looks good to be honest. Whipped in a wicked ball across the goal that for sure would end up in the net if origi is a bit sharper or we had a player running to the back post.

Back on topic, Jomez(thats what im going to call him from now on) :D looks more at ease at right back compared to wisdom in the left back role.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »
Nothing against Moreno but I really think he struggled last year, and I feel especially with Clyne not being that big, that we'd benefit from a more physically imposing left back, as I've said before.

Many will disagree, but watching the game yesterday made me think, why not give Gomez and Wisdom a chance to stake a claim for left-back? Also, I like right-footed left-backs - Flanagan was brilliant there, for instance. Going back further, Carragher, Steve Nicol, Barry Venison and I'm sure other right-footed players have done a great job for us there.

If they're not Roberto Carlos going forward, so be it - hopefully Clyne will provide plenty in that regard on the other flank. I would take the greater defensive solidity as a payoff.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 04:39:00 pm »
While we're all busy fretting about our defence, it looks like we have a good few young players who are itching to step up and stake a claim and are on the verge of being good enough. Whether Gomez, Wisdom, Maguire, Ilori or any of the other lads are quite ready yet or have the requisite ability is for Brendan and his team to decide, but there's a lot of cause for optimism and I really hope we're all pleasantly surprised by at least one of them breaking into the team during this year and starring.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »
Obviously, it's still early and we'll see over the course of the season, but Gomez is pretty ideal for what we want in a back-up right-back. Good legs to get up and down, good defensively and just be reliable. He looks like he can become a very good player in the future but for now, he may well do.

As for left-back, we'll see how Maguire goes over the course of the season, but I think he can take on a similar role to Gomez. He's a consistant performer so I'd back him if called upon.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 04:59:24 pm »
I was impressed with him yesterday. Obviously it means little, considering the opposition, but as a backup RB we could certainly do worse. Chances might be limited with Clyne ahead of him, though, so I expect he'll be sent on loan, probably to Clement's Derby.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »
I was impressed with him yesterday. Obviously it means little, considering the opposition, but as a backup RB we could certainly do worse. Chances might be limited with Clyne ahead of him, though, so I expect he'll be sent on loan, probably to Clement's Derby.

He's only 18, playing a season as back-up RB there would be plenty of Cup games he could come in. I think he'd get as much from playing in them as the Championship. And Clyne could easily get injured of course.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 10:40:00 pm »
We played 58 games last season, and only 4 players started more than 35 of those (Skrtel, Henderson, Coutinho, and Sterling), so odds are that Gomez would get around 10-12 games in EL and cups.

I think he's ready to contribute as a RB, but if we see him as a CB long-term he'd benefit more from playing regularly as a CB this season instead.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:57:41 pm »
We played 58 games last season, and only 4 players started more than 35 of those (Skrtel, Henderson, Coutinho, and Sterling), so odds are that Gomez would get around 10-12 games in EL and cups.

I think he's ready to contribute as a RB, but if we see him as a CB long-term he'd benefit more from playing regularly as a CB this season instead.

That's unlikely to happen as we have lots of competition for place there. Right now, he's probably the 2nd best right back at the club.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:22:23 am »
That's unlikely to happen as we have lots of competition for place there. Right now, he's probably the 2nd best right back at the club.

I guess it depends on what we see as better for his development: staying around the first-team, getting acclimatized to the Club, and playing the odd game at RB in the EL & domestic cups; or going out on loan and getting starting time in his favoured position, centre half. He's definitely a PL-level RB from what I saw last night and certainly wouldn't look out of place with the first team. However, Wisdom getting a new deal makes me think we might put him there for the time being, even if he didn't play RB last night.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:55 am »

have you forgotten about Flanagan? Wisdom might play there as well but its up to Jomez to prove his worth there. Rodgers like players who performs and not shy of dropping under performing players. I guess we might wait for Flanno to return before flogging him off on loan as a back up for the defence.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 02:17:43 am »
have you forgotten about Flanagan? Wisdom might play there as well but its up to Jomez to prove his worth there. Rodgers like players who performs and not shy of dropping under performing players. I guess we might wait for Flanno to return before flogging him off on loan as a back up for the defence.

Nope. Flanno unfortunately can't be considered while under long-term injury. He's more than likely done for a big portion of this season so we can't really consider him a part of the squad right now.

But basically, it looks like our 2nd choice right back will be between Gomez and Wisdom. And I'd rather the best choice be used rather than using the weaker option so the other can develop more.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 02:42:10 am »
We should permanently sell Wisdom to West Brom, or whoever wants him. Gomez looks twice the player.
Seen us win everything

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 03:13:03 am »
We should permanently sell Wisdom to West Brom, or whoever wants him. Gomez looks twice the player.

Here's a really great tip. Don't judge a player, good or bad, based off 45 minutes in the first preseason game. Especially don't use it to decide who to sell. Aspas and Alberto looked good in pre-season games.
Be excited by Gomez by all means, but hold off on judgement until he's played just a touch more time against actual opposition.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 03:15:20 am »
How can anyone judge a defender by the quality of the opposition we were up against? I'd say that any evaluation of his ability based on that game alone is virtually meaningless. He does seem like an excellent prospect, and the fact that he's been given the number 12 shirt suggests he might have impressed Rodgers enough to have earned a squad position but let's wait and see how he fares against real players before we label him twice the player Wisdom is or whatever.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 03:47:25 am »
Can't judge how good he'll be but you can say he is quick, has a good touch and looks comfortable on the ball. As a young lad I thought his composure stood out as a positive too. Think he's got a role to play as backup RB which I wasn't expecting, I thought Wisdom would be that man for sure.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 04:05:29 am »
Here's a really great tip. Don't judge a player, good or bad, based off 45 minutes in the first preseason game. Especially don't use it to decide who to sell. Aspas and Alberto looked good in pre-season games.
Be excited by Gomez by all means, but hold off on judgement until he's played just a touch more time against actual opposition.
Looked better in 45 minutes than Wisdoms poor West Brom loan.
Seen us win everything

Offline theoldcoyote

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 04:38:08 pm »
Think the kid could be a solid backup to Clyne. Think he can contribute there now, CB down the road.
I wouldn't read too much into the squad number though, didn't really work out for Pachecho.

Offline theoldcoyote

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 04:39:00 pm »
*Pacheco

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 12:15:19 pm »
Interesting to see him do equally well today despite being moved to LB and having better opposition, obviously it is only pre-season, but if he could be the primary cover for both fullbacks then that would give us more flexibility on the bench and potentially get him more playing time too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »
Rodgers says there's no chance Joe Gomez will go out on loan this season. 'He will stay here and compete for a place"
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 12:19:27 pm »
Hopefully that includes a place at centre back.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 12:23:03 pm »
Hopefully that includes a place at centre back.

Probably not, but if he continues to be a useful backup for either FB then he should get a decent amount of playing time anyway.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »
Such a used word, be the composure this lad got! He has been looking might impressive!

Offline rednick75

• Begets Rednich85
  • Anny Roader
  • If the shit fits, wear it!
    • Rednick75 Youtube
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »
Looks a very good player for his age.  No doubt he'll only get better once he's settled and had more experience.   Is very comfortable at either full back position it would seem. 

Offline gaijin_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:58 pm »
I was blown away by his composure and quality. He looks well cultured for an 18 year old. Excited to see where this goes.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 12:40:58 pm »
Can't judge how good he'll be but you can say he is quick, has a good touch and looks comfortable on the ball. As a young lad I thought his composure stood out as a positive too. Think he's got a role to play as backup RB which I wasn't expecting, I thought Wisdom would be that man for sure.
Moreno and Enrique are really fast.  The problem is the decision making and positioning against top opposition.
No slate on Gomez,   but I hope Rodgers is less naive.  We're really thin on full backs and could use some more quality.

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »
Looked really good today. As said very composed, strong, didn't just play safe passes and always looked to burst into space.
Took responsibility to make things happen going forward and was comfortable in dealing with things at the back.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 12:58:38 pm »
Given Rodgers comments, think its safe to say he'll likely be the backup RB with Wisdom this coming season, at least till Flanagan is fit. Looked very good for an 18 year old I thought.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »
A huge bonus if he can play anywhere across the back. I had no idea he could or would be used at LB.

If it turns out he can cover both FB slots it will be a very wise signing and great value.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 01:22:57 pm »
I'd be very, very surprised if this lad doesn't break Rush's scoring record.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 01:25:13 pm »
Moreno and Enrique are really fast.  The problem is the decision making and positioning against top opposition.
No slate on Gomez,   but I hope Rodgers is less naive.  We're really thin on full backs and could use some more quality.

naive in what sense? Thought he looks good in the 2 games so far. If he continues on this form, we got quite a player on our hands.

What impressed me most is his quality on the ball. He seems to have plenty of time on it even when being closed down and got out of a few tight situations. 

Defensively looks good as well. Pacy and made a few interceptions. That said lets see how he deal with quality opposition.

The most impressive player in this pre season so far but then so was Aspas.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 01:47:38 pm »
Rodgers is very impressed with Gomez. He waxed lyrical about him in the presser.

"No, no, he's staying. I've seen enough in the period. You can judge young players over the pre-season and get a good idea if you're going to keep them or not, and seeing him, in particular close at hand, with his personality, he'll be staying; he'll get games."

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »
Rodgers is very impressed with Gomez. He waxed lyrical about him in the presser.

"No, no, he's staying. I've seen enough in the period. You can judge young players over the pre-season and get a good idea if you're going to keep them or not, and seeing him, in particular close at hand, with his personality, he'll be staying; he'll get games."

Wow that'll be a big boost for Gomez
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers praises wonderkid Joe Gomez and claims he WON'T send youngster on loan

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-gomez-6086576

Some quotes in the article Rodgers says he's staying and will get games

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 03:03:50 pm »
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers praises wonderkid Joe Gomez and claims he WON'T send youngster on loan

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-gomez-6086576

Some quotes in the article Rodgers says he's staying and will get games

The quotes have already been posted above from the post-match presser. You don't need a rag to tell you that. :P

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 03:06:47 pm »
Absolutely wonderful talent. Really surprised how good he is. It doesn't matter if its just friendly games, he has the tools to be a top player for us.

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FmbJdWEGhaw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FmbJdWEGhaw</a>

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 06:10:32 pm »
I just finished watching his highlights against Brisbane. The kid looks very promising. I'm looking forward to seeing him earn a place. An exciting prospect.
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."