Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 319041 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #5560 on: July 21, 2022, 06:06:05 pm »
I was probably in until I saw this.

It was just a suggestion, mate. I doubt it will be in the final rules.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5561 on: July 21, 2022, 06:07:27 pm »
Just to change the mood around here a bit. What if we make a 90's movie draft? You got to pick 7 movies, on 7 different genres or categories. Then, if people liked it, we can do the other decades.

Who's in?

Lin, I guess you're tall enough to enjoy cinema?  :D

I like having different genres, if we can all agree on them. Maybe a wildcard genre as well which would give a bit of leeway if people really want to pick a particular film.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5562 on: July 21, 2022, 06:12:25 pm »
Out! I don't like movies. Even at six years old I protested successfully to have a cinema trip cancelled :D Since that was in the 90s that makes it even better of a story.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5563 on: July 21, 2022, 06:25:44 pm »

You should treat your friends a bit better Lobo :D
Linudden.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5564 on: July 21, 2022, 06:45:14 pm »
Out! I don't like movies. Even at six years old I protested successfully to have a cinema trip cancelled :D

Contagion?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5565 on: July 21, 2022, 07:24:47 pm »
I like the non-top 250 suggestion as well, though I was thinking all actors. It'll give some spice to the late rounds and we won't have to spend time arguing about who's a lead and who isn't. Either idea would make things more interesting.
You see, I think that will be a tad harsh to implement. We can't expect everyone to make a full-on research of every movie's cast, to see if there are some repeated names. Although I agree it can get a bit confusing in some cases, what's a lead and what's not. In those cases, I'll make a judgment call.  :D

I like having different genres, if we can all agree on them. Maybe a wildcard genre as well which would give a bit of leeway if people really want to pick a particular film.
Yeah, that's the idea. Although I'm thinking of dividing the 7 picks into multi-genre categories, to be less restrictive. I'll put up a thread shortly where we can discuss these things.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5566 on: July 21, 2022, 09:01:49 pm »
Contagion?

Pippi Longstocking, the animated version. Since I was six years old, my parents thought I'd be all-in for it, as a matter of fact I wasn't!
Linudden.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5567 on: July 22, 2022, 12:09:25 pm »
Hello draft geeks. Test yourselves properly for a change

New threads for 2022/23 are now open

LFC Prediction league - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352756.0

Premier League Predictions sign up - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352757.0

We need loads of new players for both  :wave

:wave
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5568 on: August 5, 2022, 11:38:51 am »
Anyone up for a football draft once the movie one is finished?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5569 on: August 5, 2022, 12:03:16 pm »
Anyone up for a football draft once the movie one is finished?

Ridiculous idea.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5570 on: August 5, 2022, 12:25:27 pm »
I figured we could do a 'Cheese Draft' either in Britain or Italy.

The criteria are simple: You need to select players for 11 clubs they have played for in the country we select (including Scotland and all-time not just PL era if we do Britain and all-time straight up for Italy).

The players are judged for their prime/full careers, not for the club they get picked.

One league appearance for the selected club is enough to encourage cheesy picks in effect Gullit and Weah for Chelsea or people going on loan to smaller clubs in their youth and so forth. The only thing not allowed is amateur league picks since that is much more difficult to verify.

I think taking a straight up cheese mindset from the get-go and roll with it could lead to something really funny :D
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 12:29:19 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5571 on: August 5, 2022, 12:30:42 pm »
sounds good, Spain could be an option too

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5572 on: August 5, 2022, 12:33:58 pm »
I figured we could do a 'Cheese Draft' either in Britain or Italy.

The criteria are simple: You need to select players for 11 clubs they have played for in the country we select (including Scotland and all-time not just PL era if we do Britain and all-time straight up for Italy).

The players are judged for their prime/full careers, not for the club they get picked.

One league appearance for the selected club is enough to encourage cheesy picks in effect Gullit and Weah for Chelsea or people going on loan to smaller clubs in their youth and so forth. The only thing not allowed is amateur league picks since that is much more difficult to verify.

I think taking a straight up cheese mindset from the get-go and roll with it could lead to something really funny :D

Could potentially make it very interesting at the start, by getting players to secretly select their picking league

Say for example everyone had to choose 2 leagues to select players from. They all then message a none competing person with their 2 leagues and they are then locked on them 2, no matter who else others have chosen. So you could end up with 12 people picking from Italy and just 2 from Germany for example
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5573 on: August 5, 2022, 12:40:36 pm »
I think everyone going with a level playing field makes it a lot more interesting and those are the drafts I thoroughly enjoy the most :) Basically not knowing who the drafters ahead of you can pick makes it more unpredictable. Spain and Germany have lower draft capital in them from general experience. Especially for something like this due to players seldom going to those countries to finish their careers.

Personally I'd go for Britain for everyone since to my knowledge we've never had an all-time Football League draft. Bit of a journey into that and Scotland but with some mad picks included! Also fits in well with the league starting right about now.

Italy is an excellent plan B but if going for Spain I'd prefer if we include Portugal for a full Iberian Cheese Draft so that Benfica, Porto and Sporting finally get some drafting love :wave
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 12:43:40 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5574 on: August 5, 2022, 12:53:03 pm »
So would we only be picking cheesy players? i.e. Picking Suarez at Liverpool is off limits because he was obviously incredible for us. If it's only a case of 'encouraging' cheesy picks then it would surely just devolve into a run of the mill all-time draft.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5575 on: August 5, 2022, 12:56:52 pm »
So would we only be picking cheesy players? i.e. Picking Suarez at Liverpool is off limits because he was obviously incredible for us. If it's only a case of 'encouraging' cheesy picks then it would surely just devolve into a run of the mill all-time draft.

This was my thinking, won't it just be an all time English football draft? Only way you could push the cheesey picks is to allow picks from anywhere in the world, but players must have less than 15 appearances for one of their teams.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5576 on: August 5, 2022, 12:57:36 pm »

Encouragement. That being said, there's a tactical element involved. Peter Beardsley played for Hartlepool for example. That means you can tick off the Hartlepool box as a selected club to save the big clubs for later so you can use the pool of the large English clubs for last. That's part of making the 11 club aspect quite cheesy too :wave Players who also played for a smaller club get very high value.

We could just call it '11 British clubs no criteria draft' too but maybe doesn't sound as exotic ;D
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 01:05:28 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5577 on: August 5, 2022, 01:02:16 pm »
Encouragement. That being said, there's a tactical element involved. Peter Beardsley played for Hartlepool for example. That means you can tick off the Hartlepool box as a selected club to save the big clubs for later so you can use the pool of the large English clubs for last. That's part of making the 11 club aspect quite cheesy too :wave Players who also played for a smaller club get very high value.

We could just call it '11 British clubs no criteria draft' too but maybe doesn't sound as exotic ;D

If it's encouragement only then it's not for me, sorry. Really nice idea, but you know someone will happily pick Maradona for Napoli and ruin the whole thing.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5578 on: August 5, 2022, 01:04:59 pm »
If it's encouragement only then it's not for me, sorry. Really nice idea, but you know someone will happily pick Maradona for Napoli and ruin the whole thing.

The whole point to me is the wild west aspect and seeing what kind of teams people are able to construct from eleven British clubs as a baseline when there are no rules such as minimum appearances, only play at that club considered et cetera.

We could call it something completely different and not invoke the cheese part at all.
Linudden.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5579 on: August 5, 2022, 01:12:44 pm »
The whole point to me is the wild west aspect and seeing what kind of teams people are able to construct from eleven British clubs as a baseline when there are no rules such as minimum appearances, only play at that club considered et cetera.

We could call it something completely different and not invoke the cheese part at all.

We've done loads of 11 from 11 drafts with clubs. It's nothing new. The 'cheese' angle is what would set it out as something totally different. Kind of similar to the 'Hipster draft', which if you never saw is here -

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=325830.0

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5580 on: August 5, 2022, 01:17:52 pm »
That kind of Cheese Draft sounds more like a World Cup/Xmas adventure more than anything. It's doable and would have its charm but not the same as some desperate bloke picking John Terry for Nottingham Forest when centre backs are running out ;D

The problem is the criteria and who to disallow which would open up a whole can of worms.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 01:19:44 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5581 on: August 5, 2022, 01:35:07 pm »
That kind of Cheese Draft sounds more like a World Cup/Xmas adventure more than anything. It's doable and would have its charm but not the same as some desperate bloke picking John Terry for Nottingham Forest when centre backs are running out ;D

The problem is the criteria and who to disallow which would open up a whole can of worms.

Well it's your idea, mate. You should go with what you want to do with this  :)  I'd happily run a full cheese draft with an iron fist type approach down the line if that's not what you're aiming for here. The Hipster draft ultimately worked as people policed each other and played along because it was fun to do something a bit different. And any teams that tried sneaking in non-hipster players got voted down for it anyway  :D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5582 on: August 5, 2022, 01:39:08 pm »
I'd happily run a full cheese draft with an iron fist type approach down the line if that's not what you're aiming for here.

When that happens I'm in! So long as I don't have to be the cheese police ;D

Alright, taking sign-ups for the 11 British Clubs All-Time Carnage Draft - Feel Free To Cheese then? :wave

Linudden
RobbieRedman
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 01:44:16 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5583 on: August 5, 2022, 01:47:28 pm »
Gianfranco Gorgonzola
Edam Hazard
Emmental Ben Haim

That kind of thing?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5584 on: August 5, 2022, 01:48:47 pm »
Gianfranco Gorgonzola
Edam Hazard
Emmental Ben Haim

That kind of thing?

More like Paul Gascoigne - Boston United but I get the vibe ;D

Hope you're in for some carnage Nick! If people rather want the Betty cheese draft I'll take a back seat for now and go with that instead :wave
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 02:01:07 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5585 on: August 5, 2022, 02:07:41 pm »
80's and 70's Movie Drafts still to do.  :wave

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5586 on: August 5, 2022, 02:58:03 pm »
The movies ones should be good, strike whilst the irons hot and all that.

The other one sounds very convoluted. We can only pick from one country, but only one player from each club, and there's no actual rules on 'cheesiness'? Dont really see the point, particularly as its an all-time draft (not judged on form at that club). Just becomes a standard UK draft which we've done many of, with a few arguments of 'my pick was slightly cheesier than yours, John Barnes at Newcastle isn't as cheesy as Souness at Spurs, haha well my Jan Molby at Barnsley was much cheesier than both of you' etc. We're all just gonna google the usual names and try and fit them in somehow.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5587 on: August 5, 2022, 03:38:06 pm »
And the 00s.

Give me a couple of weeks and we'll start with the 80s, unless someone else wants to run it. I would have no problem with that. I can participate but running it takes too much time and I'm up to my neck with work.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5588 on: August 6, 2022, 03:14:23 pm »

I'd be all for doing the 80s first, skipping the 70s, then do 00s, then 10-20.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5589 on: August 6, 2022, 03:15:38 pm »
Either way, let's get started. I can run it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5590 on: August 6, 2022, 03:16:57 pm »
In for another similar movie draft.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5591 on: August 6, 2022, 03:52:11 pm »
in for the 80s. Get the thread up mate.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5592 on: August 6, 2022, 03:57:48 pm »
in for the 80s. Get the thread up mate.

Who are you talking to?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5593 on: August 6, 2022, 03:59:35 pm »
You, seeing as you said "I can run it".  ;D

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5594 on: August 6, 2022, 04:03:20 pm »
You, seeing as you said "I can run it".  ;D

That would make sense.

Las:

But are you okay with me running the 80's one?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5595 on: August 6, 2022, 04:09:15 pm »
That would make sense.

Las:

But are you okay with me running the 80's one?

Think you're good.  Hurry it up so we can forget about football for a while.

And the 00s.

Give me a couple of weeks and we'll start with the 80s, unless someone else wants to run it. I would have no problem with that. I can participate but running it takes too much time and I'm up to my neck with work.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5596 on: August 6, 2022, 04:35:02 pm »
Think you're good.  Hurry it up so we can forget about football for a while.

;D

Will set something up shortly.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5597 on: August 6, 2022, 05:29:47 pm »
;D

Will set something up shortly.

We'll have to adjust or scrap the Blockbuster aspect of this, as budgets hadn't really reached the same heights in the 80s yet.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5598 on: August 6, 2022, 06:15:17 pm »
We'll have to adjust or scrap the Blockbuster aspect of this, as budgets hadn't really reached the same heights in the 80s yet.

Yep, I thought the same. The general thread is up:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352860.new#new

We'll discuss there :)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5599 on: August 21, 2022, 07:26:52 pm »
70's or 00's Film Draft next?