Author Topic: Fans' match in Milan with Inter fans. Monday 10 March 2008. k/o 9pm.  (Read 62801 times)

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan

i'm doing a poster presentation at the international supporters' congress at the Emirates Stadium on 6 July to try to get more people across Europe intested in the network... would like to discuss this with you mate ... a pint in london in a few weeks' time methinks....

Yep, no problem, give us a shout when you're down here.

Well, I returned from Moscow yesterday. Got in touch with my Spartak mates in the run-up to the final, so that in case we made it, we could play against them. Of course, we didn't but the idea of a match seems to have rubbed off on my Russkie mates, so they spoke to the British Council and set up a match at the training pitch at Spartak Reserves' stadium. Opponents - Man United fans. Then the Spartak captain got in touch with me asking for a favour, saying the United lot needed a 'keeper and as I was in the Moscow area and not doing very much that day anyway...:) so, for a day, I sold my soul to the devil. :) Mind you, did f*ck up badly for one of the Spartak goals.:) Final score 3-1 to the hosts. Very well organised by them - facilities spot on, got some media in, a few ex-pros - Crerand, Kanchelskis, Pisarev, Khusainov (you've never heard of the last 2 but they're grand noms). The United lot played pretty well, actually and overall seemed a perfectly reasonable bunch.

Basically, if Liverpool end up playing against Spartak any time in the near future, setting up a match would be easy and they can organise things pretty well.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
Yep, no problem, give us a shout when you're down here.

Well, I returned from Moscow yesterday. Got in touch with my Spartak mates in the run-up to the final, so that in case we made it, we could play against them. Of course, we didn't but the idea of a match seems to have rubbed off on my Russkie mates, so they spoke to the British Council and set up a match at the training pitch at Spartak Reserves' stadium. Opponents - Man United fans. Then the Spartak captain got in touch with me asking for a favour, saying the United lot needed a 'keeper and as I was in the Moscow area and not doing very much that day anyway...:) so, for a day, I sold my soul to the devil. :) Mind you, did f*ck up badly for one of the Spartak goals.:) Final score 3-1 to the hosts. Very well organised by them - facilities spot on, got some media in, a few ex-pros - Crerand, Kanchelskis, Pisarev, Khusainov (you've never heard of the last 2 but they're grand noms). The United lot played pretty well, actually and overall seemed a perfectly reasonable bunch.

Basically, if Liverpool end up playing against Spartak any time in the near future, setting up a match would be easy and they can organise things pretty well.

Nice one.  So effectively YOUR 'networking' set up that event. That's what it's all about. Any press/website  links on that ?

Some previous stories I've posted on here occasionally get replies like 'only our fans do stuff like this', well that's not really true ....  IT'S JUST THAT WE'RE PARTICULARLY GOOD AT IT  ;)

Pencil me in for a pint 18 or 19 June, when I'm next in da Big Smoke ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:39:02 pm by nige »

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one.  So effectively YOUR 'networking' set up that event. That's what it's all about. Any press/website  links on that ?

Some previous stories I've posted on here occasionally get replies like 'only our fans do stuff like this', well that's not really true ....  IT'S JUST THAT WE'RE PARTICULARLY GOOD AT IT  ;)

Pencil me in for a pint 18 or 19 June, when I'm next in da Big Smoke ?

Well, as far as I could tell, this is the first time the Man United fans put a team like this out. The British Council also set up 2 Russia-England fans' matches in London and Moscow last autumn with my Spartak mates representing Russia playing the England fans' side that's apparently pretty regularly represented England over the last few years.

The BC also have a Russia-Wales fans' match lined up to coincide with the World Cup qualifier in autumn.

There was a clip on the weekly news on the Moscow channel on Sunday about the game. They actually followed one of the United fans around - "Andy Mitten" (he was actually United MoTM). Thought it rung a bell - reading "FourFourTwo" on the plane back - I realised why - he writes for them (was writing about the Rome derby for this particular issue). He also founded "United We Stand" in 1989.

On the web, I found a couple of bits:
http://russiatoday.ru/sports/news/25085/video

Some pics on the Spartak Moscow website:
http://rus.spartak.com/usr/gallery/gallery.asp?id=220

There were also small articles in both Russian Sports dailies on the 22nd.

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
I tried to stay away from the cameras but they did catch me - here is one of Sash the Judas with an elongated head :):
http://www.daylife.com/photo/0dF31YB3BD77v/spartak
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:29:43 pm by Pata »

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fans' match in Milan with Inter fans. Monday 10 March 2008. k/o 9pm.
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2021, 04:03:47 pm »
Pata sent me a team photo from this glorious night in Milano 2008 and I couldn't even remember the score so came on here to re-read the thread. 1-0 eh? Happy days. Worth a random bump in case anyone else from that night is still around to enjoy the nostalgia.

Offline Mivi

• Strawberry-flavoured Jayne Torvill ; 3,000,000 not out
  • Legacy Fan
  • By the way..........It's been emotional.
« Reply #405 on: December 20, 2021, 10:45:13 am »
I remember Pata bringing down their striker early in the game. The most cast iron penno I've ever seen. Not given!
We got battered but somehow ended up winning :D
It's cause he loks like a badger. Women fucking love badgers.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #406 on: December 20, 2021, 11:20:46 am »
Great read guys. I saw Sash's tweet with photos of the game. He tells me it absolutely lashed it down. I met Harry Trow in Madrid for the one with the Atleti lot.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2022, 05:34:16 pm »
I remember Pata bringing down their striker early in the game. The most cast iron penno I've ever seen. Not given!
We got battered but somehow ended up winning :D
I was delighted to score the winner ;D

Meant Bez off here sorted me a spare ticket for the game in the end as well.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.