Author Topic: Joe Rogan Experience  (Read 19302 times)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Joe Rogan Experience
« on: February 2, 2019, 09:36:54 pm »
Anyone watch these? Joe Rogan’s chat show channel on YouTube.

Absolutely brilliant one with Brian Cox came out, I’d recommend it if you like the sciencey/physics shows like Horizon. The Elon Musk one is also brilliant. They just sit there for a couple of hours talking about the world, life, physics, mad mind bending theories about the universe, AI etc. There are a range of interviewees on his channel so not just sciencey, but he’s had magicians and Derren Brown was also on it recently. 

Brian Cox one:

https://youtu.be/wieRZoJSVtw
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Joe Rogan Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2019, 10:22:01 pm »
Been listening to his podcasts for years. Some other notable ones worth checking out:

Louis Theroux
Elon Musk
Mike Tyson
Tyson Fury

to be honest most of his episodes are great. He usually alternates between his stand up comedy friends and everyone else.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2019, 10:32:44 pm »
Joe is ok.
I would listen to his podcast from time to time if the guest is interesting.
Liked the one with Henry Rollins recently and how he choked laughing on Henry's social anxieties when people call him to hang out.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2019, 10:41:25 pm »
I love Joe Rogan podcasts, they are brilliant listens and viewing.

I like the fact his guest are so wide ranging from scientists historians comedians singers and journalists etc.

My favourite recurring guests are his best friend and fellow comedian Joey Diaz who has the funniest anecdotes and Psychologist Jordan Peterson.

Mike Tyson was on the other week and a good one i watched last week was Michael Shermer from Skeptic Magazine who debunks conspiracy theories for a living.

Theo Vonn, Bill Burr and Ari Shaffir are always funny guests on there as well, check out the podcasts with them.

Last year they was a episode with Joey Diaz and i was listening to in the car and he had a anecdote about having a dump in his neighbours garden,i literally had to park my car as i was in stitches.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2019, 10:45:55 pm »
Joe is ok.
I would listen to his podcast from time to time if the guest is interesting.
Liked the one with Henry Rollins recently and how he choked laughing on Henry's social anxieties when people call him to hang out.
Yeah that was a good one.

I was totally shocked at how introverted Rollins is in real life, he's pretty much a Misanthrope.

Another musician who always a good listen is Everlast from House Of Pain,
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2019, 10:49:32 pm »
Yeah, Rollins is a shocking level introvert and also a fucking work machine. He also has a podcast 'Henry& Heidi'. It's not bad, full of interesting anecdotes about various people he met through his career.

I also like Peterson on Rogan's podcast. Jordan Peterson on his own can become a bit too dry and academic - Rogan gets him in a good flow where he's consistently interesting.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2019, 11:07:18 pm »
I listen to Joe depending on who the guest is. Sometimes he can be overbearing with some of  is opinions [like they key to curing depression is just being busy and working hard and working out]

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2019, 11:10:49 pm »
Well working out is in my humble experience about half a job of not being depressed.
Other half is not interacting with humans. :)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2019, 11:15:38 pm »
Well working out is in my humble experience about half a job of not being depressed.
Other half is not interacting with humans. :)

I agree it's half of the job, but Joe likes to make generalizing statements, everyone is different.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2019, 11:17:39 pm »
Yeah, he does that, I know what you mean. Makes it sounds as if it's a one-fits-all prescription to all kinds of mental states - just because it's keeping him afloat.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2019, 12:24:58 am »
It's a great podcast, or show, whatever you want to call it. The secret behind its success is Rogan's unmatched ability for conversation. From the very first second they go live he is able to talk effortlessly with his guests, and keeps that up for hours at a time. No organised routine, just natural back and forth. Very rare in a time when attention spans are getting shorter. I sometimes find it hard to listen other podcasts because they seem a bit too structured by comparison. Meanwhile those talk shows you get on TV have become unwatchable. You can watch someone talking on JRE as their natural self, relaxed and able to go off on tangents. Or you can watch talk shows where they make up anecdotes and reroute everything back to plugging their current project.

That being said I don't enjoy every episode, in fact I skip most. I'm not interested in MMA, hunting and I don't find any of his social circle funny in the slightest. When you do find a guest you like though, you can get ready for a highly enjoyable and educating few hours. I agree with you all about Joe's stance on mental health though. He comes across as incredibly naive. I think it was in the wake of Chris Cornell's suicide that he spoke at length about exercise. I'm someone who relies heavily on physicality for my wellbeing, but at times he seems almost insensitive to others in how he approaches the subject.

My absolute favourite episode was the Chuck Palahniuk one. You have to watch it, he's such a natural storyteller and has such an intriguing creative process.

Sebastian Junger has been on twice talking about, amongst other subjects, mental health in the modern world. I bought a book of his after hearing him talk and loved it.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is a really interesting character, and had some interesting insights into the music industry.

Jordan Peterson seems to retrace the same ground in his latest appearances, but his early ones are essential listening. Off the top of my head Geoffrey Miller, Matthew Walker, Mike Tyson and Louis Theroux were all very entertaining too.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2019, 12:48:35 am »
Mike Tysons podcast,Hotboxin with Steve O from Jackass is well worth a watch.Absolute madness that he got upto and lived to tell the tale.

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2019, 05:41:53 am »
His episodes with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson are classics for any history buffs, he also has Dan Carlin on.

As stated he has some classic episodes with Joey Diaz, another mention on the comics would be Tom Segura & Duncan Russell.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2019, 09:09:44 am »
His episodes with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson are classics for any history buffs, he also has Dan Carlin on.

As stated he has some classic episodes with Joey Diaz, another mention on the comics would be Tom Segura & Duncan Russell.
Ended up buying one of Hancocks books off the back of a podcast on JRE. Whilst there are lots of established people on that show, what I love is you also get introduced to people you might not have heard of before and all of a sudden you're learning new things. Jocko was a great one too and he has his own podcast.

My favourite guest though is Dr Rhonda Patrick. So many good lifestyle and nutritional tips from those episode.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2019, 10:05:35 am »
Used to be interesting but unless it’s MMA or fitness/nutrition stuff, it seems nowadays he’s just become the go to broadcast service for every bad faith alt-right/right wing YouTube grifter to gain exposure and peddle absolute shite. Joe is too gullible and out of his depth at times to even challenge them, unfortunately he regularly endorses conspiracy type shite himself. Shame as when he gets the quality guests it’s good entertainment.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2019, 10:12:11 am »
I listen to Joe depending on who the guest is. Sometimes he can be overbearing with some of  is opinions [like they key to curing depression is just being busy and working hard and working out]

Yep I'm the same. I like the format a lot and listen when there's a guest I'm interested in hearing on it, but there's some topics that Joe gets preachy about and it can be tiresome.

edit -
Joe is too gullible and out of his depth at times to even challenge them, unfortunately he regularly endorses conspiracy type shite himself. Shame as when he gets the quality guests it’s good entertainment.

Well put, I'd agree with that
« Last Edit: February 3, 2019, 10:13:52 am by Slick_Beef »

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2019, 10:42:44 am »
The only ones I have properly watched, in segments given the run time, are the Elon Musk one and the Brian Cox one.

Brian Cox is so good at explaining mind bending concepts and Joe Rogan was actually asking deeper questions, whilst still having that deep fascination around those big questions in science. They talked about theories of the Universe, alien life, AI... it felt as though they could have been sat there for another 2.5hrs and it would have been as interesting as they delved deeper into those topics.

The Elon Musk one was pure fascination for me. Joe Rogan didn’t understand his points that deeply though so couldn’t really prod him and lead him down some other interesting parts - especially when he was talking about AI.

Anyone who’s enjoyed reading books like Sapiens, Homo Deus and Bill Bryson’s in the past, should watch/listen to the Brian Cox one especially!

I have the Derren Brown one on the YouTube list next. He’s got a pretty good job here - making money from chatting to interesting people and learning from their experiences, views, stories.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2019, 10:44:05 am »
Been listening to his podcasts for years. Some other notable ones worth checking out:

Louis Theroux
Elon Musk
Mike Tyson
Tyson Fury

to be honest most of his episodes are great. He usually alternates between his stand up comedy friends and everyone else.

I did not know Tyson Fury had been on it. Will find that one, big fan of Tyson Fury. Thanks!

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: February 3, 2019, 11:22:51 am »
I did not know Tyson Fury had been on it. Will find that one, big fan of Tyson Fury. Thanks!

It was like a week before the Wilder fight. Think a few weeks later he also had Wilder on too! And if you're a boxing fan, he also had Teddy Atlas (one of Mike Tysons former trainers) on.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19 on: February 3, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »

Would recommend it highly, thought he was a bell before I watched it but sort of warmed to him after it.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #20 on: February 3, 2019, 08:23:17 pm »
Found Peterson interesting on one podcast I watched but when I saw him on other things I decided he was an absolute clown.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #21 on: February 3, 2019, 08:52:09 pm »
Would recommend it highly, thought he was a bell before I watched it but sort of warmed to him after it.

Same here. Found this to be a genuinely moving interview. The Brian Cox one is excellent as are his many chats with Doug Stanhope/Bill Burr. They just feel like old mates catching up, no agenda just chat. One that I did find intriguing was the Roseanne Barr episode recently.

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
Joe Rogan Experience
« Reply #22 on: February 3, 2019, 08:53:34 pm »
I like Peterson's book 12 rules for life. On the JRE podcasts I find the topic gets drawn to all the political/media stuff he's always in the news about. That stuff bores the shit out of me.

Another really good episode he did was with Michael Dowd. He's the main character from the Netflix doc The Seven Five. Basically a corrupt cop from the 80s who was into everything and ended up getting caught. Was like watching an episode of the Sopranos. It's up there in the top 10 Joe Rogan podcasts imo.

https://youtu.be/TVt2CJewjFE

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 3, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »
Been listening for a couple of years, one of the best most recent ones is with Jake the Snake Roberts. Incredible life and stories.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: February 3, 2019, 10:25:24 pm »
That was a good one. Diamond Dallas Page too.

Billy Corgan aswell. And that only came to mind as he mentioned he owns one of the old wrestling organisations now.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 01:34:31 pm »
I watched this classic episode today, only an hour long but it's just hilarious listening, Andrew Dice Clay is brilliant listening, he also done a few appearances on Joey Diaz's podcast.

I just realised Joey Diaz after taking a 200mg edible at the beginning of the show is really low key and quiet by his standards. ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JpmyjdxGZzs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JpmyjdxGZzs</a>

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 07:17:13 pm »
Behind the scenes of the Joe Rogan podcast.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O-bK6vma9jo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O-bK6vma9jo</a>

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #27 on: October 6, 2019, 08:16:46 am »
Found Peterson interesting on one podcast I watched but when I saw him on other things I decided he was an absolute clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYQpge1W5s&fbclid=IwAR1vdxLtCBCMEKaMWND7G60z8bhuyvdC44N0L-4p2dUcc9a1EZSITQd-6hM

Jordan Peterson is far from a clown. He`s awesome and a person that the world needs right now.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 6, 2019, 09:29:09 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYQpge1W5s&fbclid=IwAR1vdxLtCBCMEKaMWND7G60z8bhuyvdC44N0L-4p2dUcc9a1EZSITQd-6hM

Jordan Peterson is far from a clown. He`s awesome and a person that the world needs right now.

He’s an absolute dickhead. I always knew you were a wrong un and this post just triple confirmed it.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Joe Rogan Experience
« Reply #29 on: October 6, 2019, 09:41:13 am »
Never understood why Peterson riles people up so much. I caught some of his podcasts after he was thrown in the mainstream spotlight, found his book touting, self help bits to be ok, yet unremarkable - while his deep dives into origins of stories and archetypes were delightful. On the gender/social justice issues he mostly seemed like a fed up cranky professor. Not that I’d know anything about being a trans or minority person, as Im a white man, but I didnt find him offensive in any major way.

What am I missing?
Why is he the devil for so many people?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 6, 2019, 10:01:12 am »
He's a grifter and a hypocrite. Mates with Orban. Intellectually dishonest. Rampant misogynist. Incel supporter/enabler.  Pretends he's some crusader for free speech when really, he's just a bigot.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 6, 2019, 10:45:59 am »
I've taken lot from Peterson's lectures, don't understand how he could be considered an incel supporter. He acknowledges it as a societal problem and encourages men to seek marriage/strong relationships/stable family environments. He's all about taking responsibility for your situation and actions.

His straight talking methods seem to get people up in arms.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 6, 2019, 12:23:01 pm »
He's a grifter and a hypocrite. Mates with Orban. Intellectually dishonest. Rampant misogynist. Incel supporter/enabler.  Pretends he's some crusader for free speech when really, he's just a bigot.

Not sure about many of those complaints, then again my interest in his public persona was really limited to his podcast published talks - so I haven't followed his public appearances as much. I haven't really felt him being a misogynist, there's that repeated question of equality of opportunity vs equality of outcomes - is that where this complaint comes from? What the fuck is incel? Weird as hell. How is he enabling and supporting this? Is it because he's not digging the currently mainstream hookup culture? As mentioned above, his spiel is mostly to encourage people building proper, longterm relationships that challenge people to grow up and own up to responsibilities. Never heard him say anything against sex or intimate relationships.

Dunno, I may have a white man blindspot here, but none of his work I heard struck me as terribly controversial or right wing.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 6, 2019, 02:35:16 pm »
Not sure about many of those complaints, then again my interest in his public persona was really limited to his podcast published talks - so I haven't followed his public appearances as much. I haven't really felt him being a misogynist, there's that repeated question of equality of opportunity vs equality of outcomes - is that where this complaint comes from? What the fuck is incel? Weird as hell. How is he enabling and supporting this? Is it because he's not digging the currently mainstream hookup culture? As mentioned above, his spiel is mostly to encourage people building proper, longterm relationships that challenge people to grow up and own up to responsibilities. Never heard him say anything against sex or intimate relationships.

Dunno, I may have a white man blindspot here, but none of his work I heard struck me as terribly controversial or right wing.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

I think he's horrible.

Just very disingenuous all round. Self help books and their authors wind me up at the best of times. It winds me up even more when they turn it into some kind of Trump University-esque fake school in order to profiteer from it like a third rate pyramid scheme.

He's a dogshit merchant, dressed up in pseudo-intellectual language in order to make a load of money. The kind of guy who posts videos on how to overcome addiction, supposedly empowering people to do it on their own, get their own house in order, then when we find out that he is addicted to medication, because he's rich, just goes to rehab like every other celebrity. Practice what you preach, if you're going to make yourself out as a guru - which he does. In fact he's PewDiePie's favourite guru, and we all know he's a standup internet dude with no worrying issues...

The incel movement love him, all the 'crisis of masculinity' stuff, poor white men, look how tough they have it. They'd be more satisfied if only the cruel women lay down for them, but since women got the pill, everything has gone wrong...we should have 'enforced monogamy' instead. Jesus. Arranged marriage for the world, so a few basement dwellers can blow their load before they back up enough to shoot a school up. He's against equality of outcomes and comes up with this? How does that work?

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/may/23/jordan-peterson-public-intellectual-isnt-clever-violent-men-monogamy

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/style/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.html

I mean I've thought about this way too much today, he's not worth the time I spent writing this post to be honest. Just think he's a dangerous crank with an excellent line in confusing people into thinking he's some kind of reasonable, rational intellectual.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 6, 2019, 02:46:24 pm »
Yeah, dunno. He is obviously a product, raising his profile and playing on controversy. As for his addiction and personal issues - I really couldn’t care. We’re all carrying our burdens. Rich man faking to carry the burdens of ordinary folk? Wouldn’t be the first.

The bits I really liked were lectures on archetypal stories - thought it was a valliant effort at unpacking some core issues that have shaped the civilization for hundreds of years. The book peddling stuff and lectures weren’t for me. Possibly because I was raised to own up to my shit - so it felt like stating the obvious.

In any case, I think he was given way too much attention and both overly positive and negative reactions. He’s really not that deep and never was.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 6, 2019, 02:52:05 pm »
He’s an absolute dickhead. I always knew you were a wrong un and this post just triple confirmed it.

Jesus Christ. Someone disagrees with you. He’s a wrong un. Maybe it comfirms just as much about you.

Peterson is great. So is Rogan.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2019, 02:54:57 pm by Raaphael »

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 6, 2019, 02:58:00 pm »
Very low comment on his current addiction problems - his wife is going through terminal cancer - give the guy a break.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #37 on: October 6, 2019, 03:30:34 pm »
I'm not saying all Joe Rogan fans are right wing white supremacists, but all right wing white supremacists are joe Rogan fans.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 6, 2019, 03:32:37 pm »
Is Joe Rogan associated with the right wing?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 6, 2019, 03:35:11 pm »
Is Joe Rogan associated with the right wing?

No idea how.
Guy is as mainstream as they come.