Author Topic: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures  (Read 694222 times)

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
Re: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures
« Reply #640 on: September 20, 2004, 01:04:06 am »
Great stuff Timbo.
Justice for the 96.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: September 20, 2004, 08:46:22 am »
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: September 20, 2004, 09:46:02 am »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: September 23, 2004, 07:53:36 pm »
Early Rafa picture
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2004, 08:21:02 pm »

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: September 23, 2004, 08:24:51 pm »

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #646 on: September 23, 2004, 11:23:38 pm »
I love this thread.

Alright Olly.

"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #647 on: September 23, 2004, 11:24:29 pm »
I love this photo...

"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #648 on: September 23, 2004, 11:26:56 pm »
Back to the footy...

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #649 on: September 23, 2004, 11:29:46 pm »

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #650 on: September 23, 2004, 11:48:52 pm »

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #651 on: September 23, 2004, 11:52:20 pm »
Football genius and one of my heroes when I was younger.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #652 on: September 23, 2004, 11:53:56 pm »
Part of that same attacking line up. I used to think he was magic.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #653 on: September 23, 2004, 11:55:18 pm »
Gotta mention Aldo from that attacking team too....

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #654 on: September 23, 2004, 11:57:05 pm »
"Kenny's Boys of '88....."

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: September 24, 2004, 12:04:13 am »

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: September 24, 2004, 12:09:00 am »

Who is that there in the Jester hat?

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #657 on: September 24, 2004, 12:11:33 am »
Thats Ben that is.  ;D
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #658 on: September 24, 2004, 12:24:07 am »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #659 on: September 24, 2004, 12:27:00 am »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:54:35 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #660 on: September 24, 2004, 12:34:56 am »

Manager: Bob Paisley

Regular starting XI: Clemence, Neal, Kennedy A, Thompson, Hansen, Case, Kennedy, Souness, McDermott, Dalglish, Johnson.

Other squad members: Hughes, Heighway, Fairclough

Achievements: First Division Champions - with the fewest number of goals conceded, most points obtained (under the old system of two for a win) and record number of clean sheets kept.

They said Kevin Keegan couldn’t be replaced but how wrong those doubters were. In response to Keegan’s Hamburg move Paisley pulled off a transfer masterstroke to land Kenny Dalglish and nine months later it was he who scored the winning goal as the European Cup was retained. The following season, with fellow Scots Graeme Souness and Alan Hansen added to the ranks, Liverpool swept to the First Division title in record-breaking fashion. They did so with the meanest defence in history (just 16 goals conceded) and a quality and consistency about their game that had not been witnessed before. With virtually the same team the title was successfully retained the following season and in 1980/81 a third European Cup was won. In this glorious four-year spell Liverpool were almost untouchable.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #661 on: September 24, 2004, 12:36:16 am »

Manager: Joe Fagan

Regular starting XI: Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy A, Hansen, Lawrenson, Lee, Souness, Whelan, Johnston, Dalglish, Rush.

Other squad members: Nicol, Robinson, Hodgson. Wark

Achievements: First Division champions, Milk Cup winners & European Cup winners - the first English team to do a treble

It’s a gross injustice that ’Smokin’ Joe Fagan did not receive the credit he deserved for this amazing achievement, although he was first to admit he had inherited a squad of outstanding quality when he succeeded Bob Paisley in the Anfield hot-seat. It was Paisley that blooded the precocious young talents of Rush, Whelan and Johnston, while Mark Lawrenson was a then record signing from Brighton. Under Paisley’s tutelage successive titles and Milks Cups were won in 1982 and 1983 but there’s no doubt that this particular team climaxed during Fagan’s first season in charge, when Liverpool became the first English team to win three major trophies in a season. This was a campaign when we witnessed Graeme Souness perform the perfect captain’s role and Ian Rush scored goals for fun, while beating AS Roma in their own backyard to win the European Cup was testimony to the tremendous team spirit Fagan harnessed.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #662 on: September 24, 2004, 12:37:26 am »

Manager: Kenny Dalglish

Regular starting XI: Grobbelaar, Nicol, Beglin, Hansen, Lawrenson, Molby, Whelan, McMahon, Johnston, Dalglish, Rush.

Other squad members: MacDonald, Wark, Gillespie, Walsh, Lee.

Achievements: First Division Champions & FA Cup winners - the first, and so far only, Liverpool team to win this coveted double

From the darkness of the Heysel Stadium disaster emerged the first Liverpool team to complete a coveted League and FA Cup double. Player/manager King Kenny led by example on and off the field as Mersey supremacy was regained. The signing of Steve McMahon added bite to the midfield and under the new boss Jan Molby blossomed into a midfielder of sublime quality. Young full-backs Jim Beglin and Steve Nicol were also given regular starting roles in the team, while the old guard of Grobbelaar, Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan and Rush remained. A strong finish to the league campaign saw the Reds pip the Blues to the title on a dramatic final day and a week later they inflicted further pain on their Mersey neighbours in the FA Cup Final at Wembley to complete a remarkable season.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:03:36 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #663 on: September 24, 2004, 12:38:29 am »

Manager: Kenny Dalglish

Regular starting XI: Grobbelaar, Gillespie, Nicol, Ablett, Hansen, McMahon, Whelan, Houghton, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge.

Other squad members: Johnston, Venison, Walsh, Spackman

Achievements: First Division Champions & a record equalling 29 game unbeaten run from the start of the league season

Liverpool adapted to life without Ian Rush in sensational style. During the close season John Barnes and Peter Beardsley were added to the ranks and, together with other new recruits John Aldridge and Ray Houghton, the Reds burst out of the First Division starting blocks. Twenty-nine games later they still hadn’t been beaten and the clinching of the title was a foregone conclusion as early as Christmas. The Reds swept aside their opponents in flamboyant style and the full house notices were a regular occurence up and down the country as supporters flocked to see them in large numbers. A second league and cup double was snatched from their grasp by Wimbledon in the FA Cup final but even that shock defeat fails to tarnish the memories of this particular red vintage.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #664 on: September 24, 2004, 12:40:07 am »

Manager: Gerard Houllier

Regular starting XI: Westerveld, Babbel, Hyypia, Henchoz, Carragher, Gerrard, Hamann, Murphy, McAllister, Owen, Heskey.

Other squad members: Fowler, Barmby, Smicer, Berger, Ziege,

Achievements: Worthington Cup winners, FA Cup winners & UEFA Cup winners - first English team to win three cups in a season.

Having gone six years without picking up any silverware, Gerard Houllier’s team famously helped themselves to an unprecedented cup treble during a glorious 2000/01 campaign. Built around an impregnable defensive duo of Hyypia and Henchoz, the experience of veteran midfielder McAllister and the prolific goalscoring form of Owen this team brought the good times rolling back to Anfield. The Worthington Cup was followed by the FA Cup and then came the UEFA Cup on a nail-biting night in Dortmund. If that wasn’t enough, four days later the Reds confirmed their return to the big time and completed a never-to-be-forgotten seasonwhen they clinched Champions League qualification for the first time.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #665 on: September 24, 2004, 12:44:13 am »

Joe.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:05:47 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #666 on: September 24, 2004, 12:47:04 am »

Joe Fagan was born on March 12th 1921 in Liverpool. He spent his childhood in the Litherland area of the city and as a boy he watched both Everton and Liverpool play, although he preferred Anfield, he later recalled, "as it had a better boys' pen".

He was educated at St Elizabeth Central School, where he led the 1st XI to victory in the Daily Dispatch Trophy in 1935. A reliable centre half, good in the air and solid on the ground, he then played amateur football for Earlstown Bohemians, where he caught the eye of several clubs. Although he was offered forms by Liverpool, in October 1938 he opted instead to join Manchester City. However, as with all his peers, Joe's playing career was severely hampered by the onset of war in 1939.

During wartime Joe served his country in the Royal Navy but was able to continue playing in the makeshift wartime league. It was during this time he first came into contact with Harry Catterick, a man who would later make an impact of his own in Merseyside football. Catterick and Fagan first turned out together for Manchester City in 1942 and after the end of the war the City side roared to promotion from the old Second Division with Joe playing a key part at the heart of defence.

Fagan had made his full official debut for City on New Year's Day 1947 and in the following four seasons made 168 appearances, skippering the side for the last three. That City side contained many men who went on to great things in the game including the magnificent goalkeeper Frank Swift. Just a few months before Fagan was to join Anfield in the summer of 1958, Swift, now retired from the game and working as a journalist, was tragically killed in the Munich air crash.

At the age of 30 Joe Fagan left Maine Road in 1951 to become player-manager of part-timers Nelson, a job he combined with one inspecting gas meters in local factories. He then briefly returned to the professional game with Bradford Park Avenue before being appointed trainer, under the management of his old wartime pal Catterick, at Rochdale in 1953.

It was on Catterick's recommendation, that Fagan joined the Anfield coaching staff as assistant trainer in May 1958, just 18 months before the arrival of Bill Shankly would transform the club from Second Division no-hopers to the best side in Europe. Shankly had long been an admirer of Fagan's and had tried to sign him when he was managing Grimsby and Fagan was playing for Manchester City. One of Shankly's first acts on arrival was to reassure the back room staff at Anfield that their positions were safe. It was the start of a footballing dynasty that Joe Fagan was to play a major role in.

Fagan, an avuncular figure appropriately known as "Uncle Joe", was perhaps the closest of all the back room staff to the players, acting as adviser and friend as well as coach. If he made a criticism, it was a reasoned one without a hint of malice, and only rarely would he lose his temper. As he once explained, "I can give anyone the mother and father of a hiding, verbally. You can't let players think you are a soft touch, not here or at any club." It wasn't a side of Fagan his players often saw, but they knew they stepped out of line at their own peril. His straightforward manner and immense knowledge of the game commanded great respect at the club and enabled him to get the most out of those in his care.

After a spell looking after the reserves, Fagan was appointed first team trainer in 1971, and stepped up to chief coach in 1974 when the untimely retirement of Shankly forced a boot room reshuffle. In 1979 he continued his move up the 'Boot Room' hierarchy by becoming assistant manager and was instrumental in helping to grow the club's ever increasing pile of silverware.

Famously, during the 1981-82 season, when Liverpool were struggling in 12th position and the players were having daily discussions about their loss of form, it was Fagan who put a stop to matters, telling them that they were having more meetings than the UN and should just concentrate on playing ! The team duly went on to win the championship.

His rise to the top, though late in his professional life, saw him finally take the helm at Liverpool as manager in the summer of 1983 with the retirement of Bob Paisley.

The two years from 1983 were astonishing in every sense for everyone connected with the club. Firstly, leading the club to an unprecented treble, a treble that included the League Championship and European Cup, 'Uncle Joe' became Manager of the Year in 1984 after just one year in charge.

To this day he remains the only English manager to achieve this feat.

The following season was to be a disappointment though as the club finished second in the league to a rejuvenated Everton. The magnificent high point of the previous year was pushed further back from our minds when the tragic events of Heysel unfolded in May 1985. Fagan had already decided to quit as manager at the season's end but the deaths of 39 Juventus supporters before the European Cup Final was forever destined to cast a dark shadow over his tenure as manager. In a game subsequently rendered meaningless by earlier events Liverpool were to lose the European Cup 1:0 and ended the season trophyless.

Oddly enough, despite his incredible achievements as manager, it is perhaps for the years of unstinting loyalty as a member of the boot room, as a trainer and coach, that Fagan will be best remembered.

Fagan kept a low profile in retirement, although he returned occasionally to the Liverpool training ground at Melwood, especially when Roy Evans was in charge. Another manager much influenced by him was a young Swede who used to visit the Anfield boot room in the 1970s - the current England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:01:05 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #667 on: September 24, 2004, 12:48:04 am »

Bob Paisley is without doubt the most successful English football manager of all time. His association with Liverpool FC was to span more than half a century and his contribution to the club, firstly as a player, then as a physiotherapist and coach, and finally as manager, is without parallel in the game. In nine glorious years as manager between 1974 and 1983, he was to take Liverpool to six League Championships, three European Cups, one UEFA Cup and three League Cups.

Born in the County Durham village of Hetton-le-Hole, Bob Paisley began his footballing career with the renowned amateur club Bishop Auckland

BOB PAISLEY

The words so much quieter
Than the deeds
And the philosophy snug
Beneath the flat cap
Upon a head that desired
No other crown
Whose heart wrapped itself
In the warmth of wool and
Human affection
Not the fickle spotlight
Of celebrity.

Parry Maguire     

The genius in a flat cap, the sporting icon in a pair of carpet slippers, the world renowned physiotherapist in a woolly cardigan.

If they handed out prizes for image and appearance then Bob Paisley was never going to be deluged with awards. Come to think of it, in a shallow world that does exactly that, maybe we touch on a reason why Bob was never knighted or elevated to the national treasure status he so richly deserved ? He never dazzled or sparkled like a Venables, never dressed like an Atkinson, didn't pour forth his politics a la Clough, nor did he covet column inches on the front pages of the tabloids in preference to the back. The charisma of a Shankly or a Busby was not Bob's to command. He could no more make deep and impassioned speeches to rally his troops than he could speak Swahili yet still he stands apart from his peers as the greatest of them all.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:07:02 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #668 on: September 24, 2004, 01:10:26 am »

Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #669 on: September 24, 2004, 01:12:27 am »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #670 on: September 24, 2004, 01:13:57 am »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #671 on: September 24, 2004, 01:17:21 am »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #672 on: September 24, 2004, 01:19:29 am »

Graeme Souness - It was purely spontaneous. We wanted him to go up because it was his last year, and he deserved the credit as much as any of the players.

Bob Paisley - I didn’t want to do it at first. But then I realised what a magnificent gesture it was on the players’ part and I couldn’t refuse them.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:21:10 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #673 on: September 24, 2004, 01:25:30 am »

The manager & the player

Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E