Author Topic: Jermaine Pennant  (Read 72662 times)

Offline Barnes & Beardsley

• Anny Roader
Jermaine Pennant
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:53:23 pm »
I didn’t want to start another thread about Jermaine but I noticed the 16 page one was locked a few weeks ago. Seems a bit unfair considering the majority of our players have a thread and it’s interesting reading the views and how opinions change over the season, but I understand that a lot of shite gets spouted and the mods have no choice in some occasions.

Anyway, I thought he had a good game against Wigan. The first 10 minutes were touch and go and he looked a bit confused and his first touch let him down on a few occasions. After that he settled down and received a lot of the ball. One thing I instantly noticed was his off-ball movement and his runs compared to Kuyt; especially getting in goal scoring positions, but I guess that’s just a natural thing for Kuyt seeing as he is a forward. A great thing with Pennant on the ball on the right is that it enables Riera to drift into the box who seems pretty good with his head; similar to the way Kuyt gets himself in and around the box when Riera is on the ball on the left. It would be good to see Jermaine do the same thing regularly, although he has been improving recently.

Thought he put in some good crosses and some decent corners, although the first was a shocker – the dreaded short corner and it ended with us passing it back to the half way line. The corner in the second half was a peach and Riera should have done better to hit the target. His overall game was good – looked comfortable on the ball, good control, beat players on the inside and outside, put in decent balls and helped track back when we were defending. He is definitely another option for Rafa to use and to be fair to Pennant he has been good in his last 5 or 6 games when he has started. He managed to bag his himself goals against Newcastle and Fulham and getting a few assists against Birmingham, Crewe and Wigan.

To sum up my amateur armchair assessment of Jermaine, he was disappointing for the first half of the 06 season then started to come into his own and looked quite promising. Played well against Chelsea and Arsenal and was undeniably our best player in Athens. He had a respectable amount of assists in the end. He started the 07 season well then got injured and never really got a look-in when he returned. He’s only started about 7 games after his injury and when he has, he’s contributed. I agree that he can be a frustrating player to watch at times and that he’s had some stinkers, but then again I sometimes get frustrated with Yossi, Ryan, Dirk and Xabi.

I feel that it is too easy to criticise Pennant and that it is accepted by the majority and that people aren’t pulled up about it unlike when others are criticised. Another thing I noticed is that the “101 excuses and mitigating circumstances” handbook isn’t brought out when discussing Jermaine, although it frequently gets used when talking about other players and other issues surrounding our team.

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
Re: Jermaine Pennant
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:30 pm »
It's been done to death.

I agree he is a bit of a scape goat, but the way I see it that when it comes to our starting 11, he doesn't even make the bench, I personally would have preferred (in hindsight) El Zhar on the Right or Benayoun.

He's a really good player when he wants to be is Jermaine, he just hardly ever does. He will have to do something drastic to turn around his Liverpool Career, because he isn't a bad lad I know people who have met him and apparently he's a nice guy.

It's just we have players who are arguably more consistant than him, which is a shame really because he does have class, it's just as I said, he hardly ever shows it.

Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:31 pm »
I don't mind him as a player but he was poor on Saturday apart from  his cross for the goal

Offline balticred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:57:28 pm »
My opinion is simple - Not Good Enough

Problem is we haven't had a decent right winger for so long we've forgotton what one look likes

Offline dunnythered

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:59:36 pm »
not good enough and his attitude is much better

Offline stiffnuts

• rustytool
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:10 pm »
2 pennies worth.

I think he had a decent game. I have always wanted JP to do well always willing him on always wanting rafa to show a bit of faith. He is a decent player of premiership standard and will always do a job. But the stark reality is that  liverpool football club need better considerably better and consistent when it comes to the man u chelsea arsenals of this world.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:12:30 pm »
If he can keep crossing it like he did against Wigan then I'd be delighted to have him in the squad. He needs more goal threat to ever be a nailed on starter for us, but my main problem with him has always been those endless floated balls to no-one in particular. Every cross (or so it seemed to me) was driven at some pace into the right sort of areas...Riera certainly should have done better from one of them. Another player who can do that regularly is a great option to have, especially like on Saturday where with Torres out we were playing a more traditional 4-4-2 with a fairly traditional sort of strike partnership, as even without this hopefully to be repeated quality crossing he's generally looked a decent player in that formation.

I've been impressed with his attitude and professionalism since joining us, even had he left I was pleased for him that unlike say Barton he's clearly matured and honestly learned from his mistakes...and it's not like those mistakes weren't in some ways understandable given his genuinely troubled background.

Good point about Riera too, he came with a reputation as a decent header of the ball and I've also thought that it would be nice to see him play a bit more 'Kuyt like' with more of a classic winger down the right. Riera's certainly got the build, leap and skill to be very dangerous in the air, but so far it looks to me like he's a bit too 'Spanish' in his approach, I think over their his physique alone has been enough to win a lot of headers, but here the vast majority of players, short or tall, are not only able to compete for headers, they are also all inclined to really fight to win them. If he could be a bit more determined and aggressive, 'English', in the air I could see him being a real threat in that respect, and also another target man to aim at (along with Torres and to a lesser extent Kuyt).
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Limerick_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »
I think he always had ability the only problem was consistency. He had a decent game at the weekend but again I think this exemplified his problems. At times he was quite good while at others he was non-existent and disappeared at times. If he can resolve this then I do believe he would be worth retaining at Liverpool. Only time will tell and I am not too sure how long more Rafa will be patient with him. His only saving grace might be that Rafa would want to strengthen other areas of the team first. If he can play at a half decent standard over a number of games he should be kept and played but he needs to play games in order to do this. He will have an opportunity over the next while with injuries to other players so he has to seize this opportunity to prove that he can do it.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:16:15 pm »
Get shut, end of
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:19:12 pm »
He's a really good player when he wants to be is Jermaine,

you make it sound like he can turn his ability on and off  when it suits him. i think thats wrong. you dont know thats what he does so making said asumption is wrong.

he does the best he can. maybe thats not upto standards we have come to rely on but to infer he does it intentionally is wrong.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:26 pm »
I was at the game and thought he was very poor. the amount of times he was cutting back instead of attacking down the wing. He's not that skillfull not that fast, doesnt' score enough passing is poor. tackling is a disgrace. people were crying out in frustration during the game due to his lack of effort in 50 - 50 balls.
He crossed once for the goal......... wow!! lets sign him up for a 3 year contract... i personally can't wait to see the back of him.. when he does leave he's not going to playing for chelsea, utd or arsenal so why should be be good enough for us... rant over.. to summise... he's SHIT!!
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11
“The most important thing is the club.
“More important and bigger than any individual, no matter who has been through it previously and who will in the future. The club is the club."

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 07:42:48 pm »
I was at the game and thought he was very poor. the amount of times he was cutting back instead of attacking down the wing. He's not that skillfull not that fast, doesnt' score enough passing is poor. tackling is a disgrace. people were crying out in frustration during the game due to his lack of effort in 50 - 50 balls.
He crossed once for the goal......... wow!! lets sign him up for a 3 year contract... i personally can't wait to see the back of him.. when he does leave he's not going to playing for chelsea, utd or arsenal so why should be be good enough for us... rant over.. to summise... he's SHIT!!
Brutal but honest
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:45:57 pm »
I personally think he is a good player, he was a good stop gap and I am sure had things gone to plan would have been replaced at some point already

A good player who would do very well for teams outside the top four

Offline mulhiem

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 07:51:12 pm »
I too was at the game and I thought it wasnt one of his better games - however I am sick to fucken death of the part time fans slagging him off at games - it seems he is the scape goat for the armchair fans.  There have been times last season when I thought Pennant was one of our best players on the pitch - whenever he got the ball was one of the few that actually turned, faced and carried the ball forward as opposed to Dirk Kuyt always looking to knock it backwards.

At the end of the day it was his first Premier game for a while and so many people got on his case on Saturday I just got the impression that he was too scared to make a mistake.

If I heard an Irish accent on Saturday shouting 'get Pennant off' it was 1 fucken too many despite Robbie Keane having another shocker - everytime he got fed the ball he fell over the fucken thing and missed two glorious chances.  Pennant wasnt the only one having an off day.  Dossena, Agger amongst others.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 07:53:35 pm »
One of our better bets for the right hand side...name any other player we have seen out on the right that has outassisted him in the league? Could say Kuyt but I always feel he only blooms when he comes in as a 2nd striker which he can still do if Pennant starts.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:37 pm »
1st game back.

told hes not needed at the club.

fans on his back.

And he still plays well, creating some great goal scoring opportunity's, plus he created the winning goal.

Not bad J.P. Well done lad.

Why was my post deleted?

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 07:58:24 pm »
He produced the assist for the game winning goal.  End of.

If he does a job and doesn't shirk his responsibilities then thats fine by me.

If a better player comes along, so be it but until that time, i'll support any player in red

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 07:58:52 pm »
I too was at the game and I thought it wasnt one of his better games - however I am sick to fucken death of the part time fans slagging him off at games - it seems he is the scape goat for the armchair fans.  There have been times last season when I thought Pennant was one of our best players on the pitch - whenever he got the ball was one of the few that actually turned, faced and carried the ball forward as opposed to Dirk Kuyt always looking to knock it backwards.

At the end of the day it was his first Premier game for a while and so many people got on his case on Saturday I just got the impression that he was too scared to make a mistake.

If I heard an Irish accent on Saturday shouting 'get Pennant off' it was 1 fucken too many despite Robbie Keane having another shocker - everytime he got fed the ball he fell over the fucken thing and missed two glorious chances.  Pennant wasnt the only one having an off day.  Dossena, Agger amongst others.
"There have been times last season when I thought Pennant was one of our best players on the pitch" - thats a bold statement mate imo can you name 3 games were he was one of our best players on the pitch last season. for me at this stage pennant has been here for a couple of years and has had ample time to prove himself good enough for our best 11. he's not. good enough for our squad as a bit part player maybe, big maybe. i would like if rafa gave el zhar a bit more of a run out instead. I know at the weekend he  started with pennant cause of experience.
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11
“More important and bigger than any individual, no matter who has been through it previously and who will in the future. The club is the club."

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 08:02:51 pm »
Not.  Good.  Enough.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 08:05:06 pm »
You expect 8 maybe 10 or even 12 goals from a winger.

Pennant has scored 3 in 79 apps.

That sums it up perfectly.

He isn't good enough for us.

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 08:05:40 pm »
1st game back.

told hes not needed at the club.

fans on his back.

And he still plays well, creating some great goal scoring opportunity's, plus he created the winning goal.

Not bad J.P. Well done lad.

if you think he played well cause he crossed one ball for a goal you must think ronaldo is a fucking god crossing quality balls time and time again and scoring goals. he made one cross for the goal big deal. voronin scored a few goals for us when he was here and always worked hard but did that justify him being good enough to stay. No
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »
He produced the assist for the game winning goal.  End of.

If he does a job and doesn't shirk his responsibilities then thats fine by me.

If a better player comes along, so be it but until that time, i'll support any player in red

iv'e never booed one of our players when i've been at a game. and hopefully never will. but there is supporting the players and team at a game and then after discussing who's good who's bad and were we need to improve. saying he produced an assist for the goal and end of???? sorry mate but the standards i expect us to aim for should be higher than that. players like carra, gerrard, torres, masc, skertl, agger, pepe are quality and should be surrounded with more quality players if we had one or two more players like pennant we would be a mid table team- End Of.
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »
You expect 8 maybe 10 or even 12 goals from a winger.

Pennant has scored 3 in 79 apps.

That sums it up perfectly.

He isn't good enough for us.
have to say, didn't realise it was that bad
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11

Offline otitito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 08:15:09 pm »
I don't mind him as a player but he was poor on Saturday apart from  his cross for the goal
Yeah. And for that he's the best player in Athens, it's just that we're playing to his strength and he has poor left back with him (Jankulovski).

Wouldn't mind getting 3 m for him anytime during his career here

Offline flabby

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 08:16:10 pm »

The person you speak of was there to see Liverpool, not Robbie Keane. Did you expect him to concentrate on keane's performance for 90 minutes and just critisise him and no-one else, because he's Irish?

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 08:16:16 pm »
if you think he played well cause he crossed one ball for a goal you must think ronaldo is a fucking god crossing quality balls time and time again and scoring goals. he made one cross for the goal big deal. voronin scored a few goals for us when he was here and always worked hard but did that justify him being good enough to stay. No

You are so wrong, Creating the wining goal was not a big deal, It was much bigger then that.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:28:41 pm by scutty »
Why was my post deleted?

Offline mulhiem

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 08:19:20 pm »
"There have been times last season when I thought Pennant was one of our best players on the pitch" - thats a bold statement mate imo can you name 3 games were he was one of our best players on the pitch last season.

To be fair Pennant was playing really well at the beginning of the season, with decent games against Derby at home until he got injured and replaced after about an hour, Portsmouth away he had a very good game until he was then out for a few months as a result of the broken leg (I think - dont shoot me down).   After a couple of quiet games straight back after injury he then put in some decent performances and then got dropped.  The on the games he did play - Fulham being the main he had his best game in a red shirt and got MOM IIRC.  He then had another decent game against Birmingham away and then didnt play for the final two despite having 2 decent games prior.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 08:20:22 pm »
I accept that it’s been done to death, but if we’re being honest, so do other players and issues. People end up repeating their views but just rearranging the words. I think it’s good to discuss players game-to-game. If people honestly feel that he has been useless since he signed and still maintain that view, I guess that’s fair enough. I know some people wrote him off when he signed and had their mind already made up due to his past and to be honest, I was surprised when we went after him even though he had a decent reputation at Birmingham and I’m not his biggest fan. It would be nice if people were fair with their views.

Views change, as they should. You only have to have a look at the number of people who have suddenly appeared breaking their neck to defend Dirk and Xabi – some I think are following the pack. A couple of months ago both players were getting hammered by the majority and it was also fashionably to criticise Gerrard. I have no problem with people changing their minds, it just when people go from one extreme to another like calling a player shit and not good enough and then claming the player is a legend and world class the next month.

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »
You are so wrong, Creating the wining was not a big deal, It was much bigger then that.

fine it was the best thing a player's ever done for our club. does that seem better. honestly mate do you think he is good enough to be at our club or the other top three clubs in the league as a first 11 player? i remember cisse scoring against west hame in the FA cup final and i was celebrating as much as the next fan but deep down i knew he wasn't good enough and would move on.
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 08:26:11 pm »
To be fair Pennant was playing really well at the beginning of the season, with decent games against Derby at home until he got injured and replaced after about an hour, Portsmouth away he had a very good game until he was then out for a few months as a result of the broken leg (I think - dont shoot me down).   After a couple of quiet games straight back after injury he then put in some decent performances and then got dropped.  The on the games he did play - Fulham being the main he had his best game in a red shirt and got MOM IIRC.  He then had another decent game against Birmingham away and then didnt play for the final two despite having 2 decent games prior.

think you proved my point with him mate he is capable of performing at times. but in general its against mid table of low table opposition teams.
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11

Offline mulhiem

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 08:26:45 pm »
The person you speak of was there to see Liverpool, not Robbie Keane. Did you expect him to concentrate on keane's performance for 90 minutes and just critisise him and no-one else, because he's Irish?

I do wonder that mate - all I heard from the Irish lads round me was Robbie this Robbie that and slating Pennant before he had even kicked the ball.

Put it this way, Pennant did more on the pitch than Robbie Keane did - and I am hoping that we will get at least 3 million for him in the transfer window because we have bought an absolute fucken dud there.

Everytime the ball comes to him in the air - he turns round to look at the defender and backs in to him.  He has given so many fouls away this season for that its beginning to get fucking daft.

Offline mulhiem

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:56 pm »
think you proved my point with him mate he is capable of performing at times. but in general its against mid table of low table opposition teams.

I have seen him put a few decent performances against Chelsea too.

Offline flabby

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 08:29:41 pm »
I do wonder that mate - all I heard from the Irish lads round me was Robbie this Robbie that and slating Pennant before he had even kicked the ball.

alright i see what yer saying then. bit sad alright but that's the way it's gone

Offline Clonsilla Red

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 08:33:06 pm »
I have seen him put a few decent performances against Chelsea too.
he scored a goal. one of the 3 he has got in 79 apperance's. (don't get me wrong it was a sweet strike and maybe he should be shooting more if he can do that but he hasn't) I  don't remember him skinning ashley cole again and again and getting quality cross after quality cross in.
Kenny Dalglish - 31/1/11

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 08:40:34 pm »
Funny thing is he is about as capable at wing play as Riera is but you rarely get that idea when you look at the opinions that get posted about them.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
I was puzzled that he started ahead of El Zhar on saturday as El Zhar has started ahead of him on the bench many times.

Trouble with Pennant is he's great a taking people on but the crosses are so poor he maybe gets one good cross in out of ten...

Right side is a problem for us but I say at least give Pennant a run in the side before he becomes the new Voronin... If spurs go down maybe Rafa will try and get Lennon or Bentley but are they any better than Pennant?
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:14 pm »

Well thats what we need. Its the games against stoke where we draw and really need to win that matter as much as the manu, chelsea etc.

All our poor draws last season were generally against mid table fodder. So if he helps us win those games than i am all for it.

Anyhow his goal tally is not good enough and he would have to have man of the match form consistently up to january to save his liverpool career in my opinion. But he does offer the right side something different.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Masch20

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Well Be Coming Down The Road!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:50 pm »
I like pennant, hes quick, can beat players, and delivers a good cross. Dosen't play as much as i would like to see him, but he dosent always impress when he does play
Justice For The 96
Never Forget, Never Forgive

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »
I’m certainly not crying for him to start every game. He’s a squad player at best, so the point about him getting into Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea are pointless considering their squad players. He defiantly should be used though as he is a different player to Kuyt and Yossi. I also feel the calls for El Zhar are way too premature – yes he has done well during his cameos like against Liege, Boro and Wigan, but it’s too early to be hailing his as the next best thing. I felt the same way when people were cumming after Plessis’ debut and a few appearances from Insua.

I’m not sure whether he should be sold. We probably won’t get much and I don’t see Rafa buying another winger considering Kuyt is the first name on the sheet after Pepe.

It would be good for Pennant to improve his goal scoring record and his overall consistency, but if we’re all hoping Riera will score his fair share as well, we’re in for a shock. He’s never been known for his scoring – At best he will get around 4 or 5. If they both continue to put in great balls on a plate for others, we should not have many complaints. Jermaine is more than good enough as a squad player.

Offline john_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 10:01:47 pm »
Best right sided player we have

Can beat his man with ease