Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2748212 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1240 on: October 31, 2006, 10:37:27 am »
Had £30 @ 1.9

Good work: have to admit I made the mistake of hoping that the Pats are falling away. I support the New York Jets, who play in the same division, and therefore have an interest in hoping the Pats are falling from the top of the NFL summit. Should bar myself from betting on teams I support, or teams that affect the club I support, as I think with my heart instead of my head.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1241 on: October 31, 2006, 01:02:36 pm »
That's what I am loving about the Pat's this season. Less hype, and we are creeping under the rader a little bit. Colts and Bronco's are getting the AFC hype, and what with the Saints storybook season, and the Bears unbeaten run, it means the Pat's are being forgotten about.

This could be the 4th in 6 years I reckon, Brady is firing on all cylinders, and despite the amount of players who left, the team looks solid.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1242 on: November 1, 2006, 12:05:51 am »

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1243 on: November 3, 2006, 01:54:34 pm »
For those of you that have not had the pleasure of having your jaw drop in awe of an amazing talent, check out the Jints fullback Brandon Jacobs this week against the hapless Texans one week before the big showdown agin' Da Bears.

Jacobs is 6'4", 264 lbs and the 2nd fastest player on the team.

No one has had those kind of stats since the great Lawrence Taylor (6'3", 237) plied his cocaine driven trade through the NFL in the 80s.

Last week, Jacobs dragged up to 5 Buccaneers at a time all over the field as they tried to stop him.

Truly an awesome physical specimen. 
Kill the humourless

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1244 on: November 3, 2006, 02:02:03 pm »
For those of you that have not had the pleasure of having your jaw drop in awe of an amazing talent, check out the Jints fullback Brandon Jacobs this week against the hapless Texans one week before the big showdown agin' Da Bears.

No one has had those kind of stats since the great Lawrence Taylor (6'3", 237) plied his cocaine driven trade through the NFL in the 80s.

Last week, Jacobs dragged up to 5 Buccaneers at a time all over the field as they tried to stop him.

He is a machine. The touchdown againt the Buc's was something else, he seemed to just run over 3 or 4 players.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1245 on: November 3, 2006, 02:10:34 pm »
Brandon Jacobs is not human. End of.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1246 on: November 4, 2006, 02:35:38 am »
another pdate care of the bbc!

UK venues in line for NFL first 
By Matt Slater 

Wembley missed its 2006 date with the NFL but will be ready in 2007
The UK has emerged as the front-runner in the race to stage the first competitive NFL game to be played outside the American continent.

The NFL's 32 team owners voted last month to play two regular-season games a season outside the US from 2007.

Building delays at Wembley put a one-off game on hold this season, but the stadium is now almost finished and could host a game next autumn.

NFL UK boss Alistair Kirkwood said the UK was "guaranteed to have games".

Speaking to BBC Sport, Kirkwood said: "The question is when, not if. There is nothing guaranteed for 2007 but it's between us and one other country, and I think we're the front-runners.

"Favourites have lost in the past but our cushion is that if we don't get it in 2007, we'll get it in 2008.

"But we desperately want it in 2007. The sooner we get (a game), the sooner we will feel the benefits."

We need this platform to get away from the cobwebs of people assuming we were an 80s phenomenon

Alistair Kirkwood
NFL's London office
At the time of the NFL owners meeting in New Orleans, the four leading candidates for the first game were Canada, Germany, Mexico and the UK.

Kirkwood now believes the field has been reduced to two, with the British bid leading.

The NFL staged its first and, until now, only competitive game outside the US in 2005, when the Arizona Cardinals played the San Francisco 49ers in front of 103,467 fans at Mexico City's Aztec Stadium.

With this season's proposed game at Wembley cancelled, there have been no international NFL fixtures in 2006 but there is one on the schedule for 2007, a pre-season friendly between the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots in Beijing in August.

London hosted pre-season NFL friendlies in the 1980s, the decade when interest in American Football first flowered in this country.

With English football marred by hooliganism and live sport on TV relatively rare, the newly-arrived Channel 4 helped spawn a generation of gridiron fans with its ground-breaking coverage of the sport.

The NFL's first real foray abroad drew a huge crowd in Mexico City
The old Wembley, in fact, staged the NFL's first pre-season game outside the US in 1986 when the world champion Chicago Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys.

But that interest waned in the late 1990s as football fought back - copying ideas like the NFL's "Monday Night Game" along the way - and British gridiron teams, such as the London Monarchs, failed to take hold.

Enthusiasm for the NFL in the UK, however, is on the rise again - TV ratings and sponsorship revenues are up - and Kirkwood is convinced the sport is set for a resurgence in this country.

"If we stage a regular-season game we will get the kind of broad media attention that we haven't had for many, many years," he said.

"We've done friendlies in the past and that helped launch the game here, but fans are so much more knowledgeable now and have more choice - it has to be a competitive game for it to really resonate.

"Unless you're an indigenous sport, and you are in the hearts and minds of the public, you have to keep raising the bar.

"If we can get a big-name team to come over we can break through the clutter of other sports.

We would want to come back in 2009 and 2011 - we're looking for a home

Alistair Kirkwood
"I think we could be somebody's second or third favourite sport. You can be an Arsenal fan, a Chicago Bears fan and a Bath rugby fan. It's complementary. We play at different times.

"But we need this platform to get away from the cobwebs of people assuming we were an '80s phenomenon."

The most likely sites for the game, which will be held on a Sunday in late September/early October next year, are Wembley, Twickenham and Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

"Wembley will obviously be the hot topic," said Kirkwood.

"It's a brand new stadium, with great hospitality potential, but Twickenham is only 8,000 less in capacity [82,000 to Wembley's 90,000] and it's a great NFL-type stadium too.

"But we're not looking at this as a one-off game. We would want to come back in 2009 and 2011. We're looking for a home."

That kind of commitment will not come cheap for Kirkwood's UK operation.

NFL teams, which work on a strict revenue-sharing basis, only play a guaranteed eight home games a season. These games are almost always sold out, with average attendances being over 68,000.

The plan for the international fixtures is that the 32 teams will play one 'home' game each over a 16-year period, with each team being compensated for the loss of a home game.

William Perry's arrival in 1996 failed to make any lasting impact
"It will be an enormous investment but truly transformational in terms of reaching out to a much wider fan-base," he said.

"This is bigger than a Premiership game being played in the US. They only have eight home games a season and with their gates it's like every game being Chelsea v Manchester United.

"So it's not just a case of what's the value from a UK point of view, it's a question of how much value you take out of the US, and that's huge."

But Kirkwood is certain the benefits for the NFL and this country more than outweigh the costs.

The proposed game will kick off at 1800 BST, which is 1300 on America's East Coast, and will be live on US television.

With attracting American visitors the recently announced number one priority for London's tourist agency, live coverage of an NFL game at the new Wembley is the stuff of marketing men's dreams.

Kirkwood and his team now have six weeks to finalise their choice for a UK venue and find two NFL teams willing to take the transatlantic plunge.

A decision on which country has got the nod for 2007 will be made by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell before this season's Super Bowl in early February, with next season's schedule being announced in March.

Until then Kirkwood will be joining his Football Association equivalents in praying for a speedy completion to the Wembley project.

Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1247 on: November 5, 2006, 04:42:22 pm »
Chaps, uneverwalkalone needs your help.  He's going to put some cash on Chicago to beat Miami tonight, but due to the amount he's putting on, he's got me shitting out of giving him advice.

Give him, and me, some reassurance.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1248 on: November 5, 2006, 06:07:15 pm »
Chaps, uneverwalkalone needs your help.  He's going to put some cash on Chicago to beat Miami tonight, but due to the amount he's putting on, he's got me shitting out of giving him advice.

Give him, and me, some reassurance.
He's gotta give up 13 1/2 points though. That's a lot of wood.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1249 on: November 5, 2006, 07:53:28 pm »
Haha TO scores, and to celebrate he mimic's sleeping with the ball for a pillow. Beautiful. I saw that celebration on the Simpsons first though.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1250 on: November 5, 2006, 07:56:11 pm »
He's gotta give up 13 1/2 points though. That's a lot of wood.

Not with the way the Bears were playing.

I don't believe what I'm seeing on NFL live scores though, the Bears are imploding in front of my eyes.  Utter shithouses.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1251 on: November 5, 2006, 09:09:53 pm »
What a kick by Novak, 47 yd FG to win it with last kick against Cowboys.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #1252 on: November 5, 2006, 09:59:27 pm »

Brandon Jacobs is the real reason why Tiki Barber will retire at the end of the season...

By the way, you got any spare tickets for next week?  ;D ;D
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #1253 on: November 5, 2006, 10:28:30 pm »
Anybody watching the Denver @ Pittsburgh game?

I missed the first five minutes.

Horrible 40 yard FG attempt by the Steelers, and still 14-7 down.  Looking much better than Denver though and I am backing them to win still.

Edit:  Soft TD to give away there; making it an uphill struggle for themselves
« Last Edit: November 5, 2006, 10:56:52 pm by Aidan_B »

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1254 on: November 6, 2006, 01:35:33 am »
Stick a fork in the Steelers for this year, mate. They're finished.

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: November 6, 2006, 10:26:44 pm »
well done finnies :D

Lets see if the colts are unbeaten all the way up to the last game of the regular season, when they play...the dolphins :D

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #1256 on: November 6, 2006, 11:29:09 pm »
Love the NFL more and more with every passing season, watched both games on sky last night. The Cowboys/ Redskins game was excellent, and the first 4 mins of the Steelers Bronco's was a joke!!

Being a Jacksonville fan was delighted with our result yesterday, we have a nice run now were we need to put 3/4 wins together.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1257 on: November 7, 2006, 01:01:26 am »
Love the NFL more and more with every passing season, watched both games on sky last night. The Cowboys/ Redskins game was excellent, and the first 4 mins of the Steelers Bronco's was a joke!!

Being a Jacksonville fan was delighted with our result yesterday, we have a nice run now were we need to put 3/4 wins together.

I had a feeling the Jag's may reach the playoffs at the start of the season, but then I also thought the Dolphins may spring a suprise this season.

Easy come easy go.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1258 on: November 7, 2006, 05:04:42 am »
Hahahahahahah, that crotch attack tonight was the most entertainment that the Raiders have provided all season.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #1259 on: November 7, 2006, 09:35:22 am »
Hahahahahahah, that crotch attack tonight was the most entertainment that the Raiders have provided all season.

I missed most of the game, but did catch that.  Was very funny.  What's even better is that his penalty was cancelled by the other guy giving the lightest of slaps back.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1260 on: November 7, 2006, 01:42:02 pm »
Last nights game was a mess. Thing is if they were playing anyone half decent the Seahawks would have probably lost yet again. I really wish the Pat's had never let Branch go.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1261 on: November 7, 2006, 10:29:26 pm »
By the way, you got any spare tickets for next week?  ;D ;D

Nope.

Gave 'em me son.  I'll be back home for a few matches ;).

I wonder if when I had a ST in 2001 I became the first person to have season tix to the Reds & the Jints.
Kill the humourless

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: November 8, 2006, 02:19:27 am »
Robert Gallery is one of the biggest busts in draft history. Raiders picked him at number 2 overall: he was a "can't miss" prospect, and the best left tackle to come out of college in decades. He was part of the O Line that let in 8 sacks against the Seahawks, and he himself probably was responsible for at least 3 of them.

Reckon he'll be a bouncer at a strip joint this time next year.

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: November 8, 2006, 02:22:02 am »
I got Carolina against New Jersey on the TV at the moment (1-1 last period) is that live?
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: November 8, 2006, 02:24:40 am »
I got Carolina against New Jersey on the TV at the moment (1-1 last period) is that live?

You might have the wrong thread.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: November 8, 2006, 02:27:16 am »
You might have the wrong thread.

NFL/NHL Ice/no ice ?
yeh I think your right :-[

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: November 8, 2006, 02:30:10 am »
NFL/NHL Ice/no ice ?
yeh I think your right :-[

Ach, don't worry about it: it's the internet, noone gives a shit anyway.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: November 8, 2006, 02:33:46 am »
Ach, don't worry about it: it's the internet, noone gives a shit anyway.

;D
Anyway it's overtime now (2-2) oh the joys of digital TV

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1268 on: November 12, 2006, 01:40:39 pm »
Bears Giants tonight, I'm staying up for that one, should be massive.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1269 on: November 12, 2006, 10:26:58 pm »
Reggie Bush with a beautiful TD just now for Saints.

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1270 on: November 13, 2006, 03:59:27 am »
what a fuckin shite day.pats should of won that one.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: November 13, 2006, 08:28:20 am »
Sorry, can't help myself  :wave

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1272 on: November 13, 2006, 01:43:44 pm »

I still think we are missing Branch in a big way. The receivers just don't have the link with Brady that he did.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #1273 on: November 13, 2006, 03:26:57 pm »
49ers win 2 in a row for the first time in 3 years.

Watch out - were back!
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1274 on: November 13, 2006, 03:34:06 pm »
49ers win 2 in a row for the first time in 3 years.

Watch out - were back!

To be fair though, it was against the Lions and Vikings...

Oh My.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1275 on: November 13, 2006, 05:24:55 pm »
I still think we are missing Branch in a big way. The receivers just don't have the link with Brady that he did.

I said it last year, and I will say it again.

Without Rodney Harrison, the Pats cannot win a Superbowl, and cannot play good defense the way it is played at Foxboro'.  True, the offense wasn't great yesterday - last year I said Dillon was getting past his best days.  The answer is Maroney.  But I don't know what happened yesterday.  And oh, by the way, I have also said in the past that Chad Pennington is a quality QB.  'A bon entendeur, Salut!'

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: November 13, 2006, 05:56:05 pm »
screw the jets the finnies are still in with a shout by this stage :-\ :D

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #1277 on: November 13, 2006, 06:46:04 pm »
screw the jets the finnies are still in with a shout by this stage :-\ :D

No-one can touch the Fins...*ahem* found this treat on Youtube: Miami Dolphins' Rap

Alright, stop. Half-time :D
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Online Roy Cropper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: November 19, 2006, 02:58:16 pm »
alrite fellas. what are ya thoughts on this:

NY Jets (+6.5) v Chicago Bears
Washinghton v Tampa Bay
Baltimore (-4.5pts) v Atlanta
Less than 36.5 pts in Buffolo v Houston 

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1279 on: November 19, 2006, 03:51:53 pm »
i think i'd take da bears,tampa bay,baltimore,and the under for bills v  houston.