Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 922839 times)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #7560 on: November 12, 2017, 10:05:59 pm »
I didn’t realise Thuram also left Juventus in 2006, for Barcelona - which means him, Ronaldinho, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were all there at the same time:

October 22, 2006: Real Madrid 2-0 Barcelona
Those five started for Barcelona, Cannavaro started for Madrid.  Raul and van Nistelrooy scored.  The crucial assist for the opener came from Sergio Ramos, naturally.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:25:51 pm by Iska »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7561 on: November 12, 2017, 10:47:31 pm »
I didn’t realise Thuram also left Juventus in 2006, for Barcelona - which means him, Ronaldinho, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were all there at the same time:

October 22, 2006: Real Madrid 2-0 Barcelona
Those five started for Barcelona, Cannavaro started for Madrid.  Raul and van Nistelrooy scored.  The crucial assist for the opener came from Sergio Ramos, naturally.

Back when we used to beat those two little Spanish shits for fun. Back when, despite 5 of Jookie's boys playing, our boy was still the best player on the pitch. I miss those days :(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:53:10 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #7562 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:14 am »
Back when we used to beat those two little Spanish shits for fun. Back when, despite 5 of Jookie's boys playing, our boy was still the best player on the pitch. I miss those days :(

To be honest, I was very close to putting Gerrard on the subs bench of my all time team. John Barnes too. The John Barnes between 1987-1990 was up there with the best players in the World. He was definitely the best player not playing in Serie A during that period. Probably only some of the Marseille players at the time (Papin, Waddle etc..) and maybe Augenthaler get close as players who excelled but didn't play in Serie A during that late 80's period.

For as good a teams and players I've seen at Liverpool (and I'd have Gerrard, Barnes and Suarez as the best 3 individual players), none of them come close to Messi, Maradona and C.Ronaldo. That's not a criticism. It's just to highlight how good those 3 players are. The fact we have 2 of the very best players playing at the same time is relatively unique. Beyond these 2 players I think we are looking at a period where there may not be an best player(s) in the World. I think we'll go back the situation in the late 90's and up to the mid 00's where there are a number of very good players who share around the individual accolades such as the Ballon d'Or.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7563 on: November 13, 2017, 10:11:34 am »
Iniesta is the single most overrated footballer of all time.

Absolutely crazy talk, this.

Especially in the context of using scoring goals as a measurement to determine who is better out of Zidane and Iniesta.

You know Zizou hit double figures once in the league in his entire career, right? And that was in 1993 with Bordeaux. Hardly the elite of European football. He ended up with about twice as many goals as Iniesta has now, helped by penalties no doubt, but he was generally 1 in 6.

Neither were/are goalscorers. They're controllers, aided by their brilliant touch, vision and passing abilities. And yet the proportion of their goals scored on the big occasion is testament to the sheer quality of both players. It's similar to De Bruyne and Silva at City right now; neither will end up in double figures in the league but De Bruyne already has a winner against Chelsea and an opener against Arsenal to his name. I'd bet good money on Silva bagging a big goal or two before the end of the season. They control most games effortlessly and, when their side needs them most, the cream generally rises to the top. See also: that Gerrard fella.

FWIW I'd completely agree that Iniesta was more consistent than Zidane, both through a season and during 90 minutes of football, and if I was picking a side to win me a league title I'd have him all day. Just think he's more of a team player.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7564 on: November 13, 2017, 10:13:46 am »

You did see the username who posted that right?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #7565 on: November 13, 2017, 01:28:37 pm »

Especially in the context of using scoring goals as a measurement to determine who is better out of Zidane and Iniesta.

You know Zizou hit double figures once in the league in his entire career, right? And that was in 1993 with Bordeaux. Hardly the elite of European football. He ended up with about twice as many goals as Iniesta has now, helped by penalties no doubt, but he was generally 1 in 6.

Neither were/are goalscorers. They're controllers, aided by their brilliant touch, vision and passing abilities. And yet the proportion of their goals scored on the big occasion is testament to the sheer quality of both players. It's similar to De Bruyne and Silva at City right now; neither will end up in double figures in the league but De Bruyne already has a winner against Chelsea and an opener against Arsenal to his name. I'd bet good money on Silva bagging a big goal or two before the end of the season. They control most games effortlessly and, when their side needs them most, the cream generally rises to the top. See also: that Gerrard fella.

FWIW I'd completely agree that Iniesta was more consistent than Zidane, both through a season and during 90 minutes of football, and if I was picking a side to win me a league title I'd have him all day. Just think he's more of a team player.

Iniesta is 33 and hasn't had a great season in years. For a player that never relied on pace, hasn't had any catastrophic injuries, that's not very good.

Zidane carried a dismal French team to a World Cup final and would probably have won it only for he nutted that wanker in the chest. He was the star of the tournament.

He won the World Cup for them in 98. He won the Champions League for Madrid in 2002.

He was the ultimate big game player.

Iniesta is definitely more of a team player, because he relies on his teammates to win things. Look at Barcelona over the years without Messi, they were mere mortals.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7566 on: November 13, 2017, 01:43:05 pm »
Look at Barcelona over the years without Messi, they were mere mortals.

1 World Cup & 2 European Championships is pretty good going for mere mortals.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7567 on: November 13, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »
Iniesta is 33 and hasn't had a great season in years. For a player that never relied on pace, hasn't had any catastrophic injuries, that's not very good.

Zidane carried a dismal French team to a World Cup final and would probably have won it only for he nutted that wanker in the chest. He was the star of the tournament.

He won the World Cup for them in 98. He won the Champions League for Madrid in 2002.

Iniesta is definitely more of a team player, because he relies on his teammates to win things. Look at Barcelona over the years without Messi, they were mere mortals.

In the same way Iniesta had his own Gerrard/Olympiakos moment for Barca against Chelsea in the CL semi-final of 2009, won the World Cup for Spain in 2010, and was then the stand-out man of the match in the Euro 2012 final?

I genuinely think you must have been watching a different player to the rest of us all these years.

The Zidane/1998 thing is a massive myth as well btw. He got sent off in the second group game and was criticised for going missing by the French media. He then scored two headers and history was rewritten.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:18:11 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7568 on: November 13, 2017, 04:20:44 pm »

I know that you are trolling but just read through that French squad. They had Desailly, Thuram, Lizarazu in defense, Deschamps, Petit, Djorkaeff, Viera in midfield. Hardly dismal. They just lacked a great striker.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7569 on: November 13, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »
Dismal French team? Hahhahaha a come on

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7570 on: November 13, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
I know that you are trolling but just read through that French squad. They had Desailly, Thuram, Lizarazu in defense, Deschamps, Petit, Djorkaeff, Viera in midfield. Hardly dismal. They just lacked a great striker.

Thierry Henry wasn't a great striker? Trezeguet wasn't a good striker?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7571 on: November 13, 2017, 04:36:29 pm »

The fool's talking about the 2006 WC squad in the bit you've quoted, not the 1998 squad which is who you've listed. 2006 squad wasn't exactly shit but it was a lot worse than the 98 squad and it was a big achievement by ZZ to drag them to that final.

Both were fringe members of the squad in 98 and neither were 'great' back then. Henry only became great once Wenger got hold of him. France's main strikers in 98 were Guivarch and Duggary.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7572 on: November 13, 2017, 04:43:21 pm »

Both were very good strikers but I won't say they were great at that point in time. In that tournament certainly compared to Brazil they lacked in this department.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7573 on: November 13, 2017, 05:03:28 pm »
Despite his two final goals, it was really the defence that won France that World Cup, not Zidane (Euro 2000 however...).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7574 on: November 13, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »
The fool's talking about the 2006 WC squad in the bit you've quoted, not the 1998 squad which is who you've listed. 2006 squad wasn't exactly shit but it was a lot worse than the 98 squad and it was a big achievement by ZZ to drag them to that final.

Both were fringe members of the squad in 98 and neither were 'great' back then. Henry only became great once Wenger got hold of him. France's main strikers in 98 were Guivarch and Duggary.

I was talking about 2006 not 98. But for all of Zidane's heroics, they were fortunate as fuck against Croatia in the semi-final, the two goals Thuram scored out of all people.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:15:31 pm by deFacto »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7575 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:17 pm »
I was talking about 2006 not 98. But for all of Zidane's heroics, they were fortunate as fuck against Croatia in the semi-final, the two goals Thuram scored out of all people.

Ah Ok, fair enough. The post you were replying to though was about the 98 squad. By the by I always found Henry to be really disappointing in the big international tournaments and wouldn't say he was ever a great international striker, even at his peak. I'd love watching him destroy Charlton or Barnsley, hype him up to non-football fans during the world cup and, without fail, he'd be anonymous.

Re: the 1998 semi, yeah that game by Thuram really was one of the great all time footballing performances. I remember gushing about it on here years ago. Still gives me goose pimples nearly 20 years later.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7576 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »
I'm talking about 2006.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7577 on: November 13, 2017, 05:34:48 pm »
Ah Ok, fair enough. The post you were replying to though was about the 98 squad. By the by I always found Henry to be really disappointing in the big international tournaments and wouldn't say he was ever a great international striker, even at his peak. I'd love watching him destroy Charlton or Barnsley, hype him up to non-football fans during the world cup and, without fail, he'd be anonymous.

Re: the 1998 semi, yeah that game by Thuram really was one of the great all time footballing performances. I remember gushing about it on here years ago. Still gives me goose pimples nearly 20 years later.

Thuram crushed my heart then, Croatia was doing the unthinkable, to give context, it was only 3 years before that there was a civil war in the Balkans, and Croatia were on the verge of being in a World Cup final. I lived in Bosnia, but I had family in croatia, and wanted them to do well regardless, it was guttening.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7578 on: November 13, 2017, 05:37:24 pm »
Zidane was great, and his international tournament heights are arguably higher than that of Iniesta. However, in terms of what has been won, Iniesta edges it (2 EC and 1 WC).

Crucially though, if you look at their club careers, Zidane was capable of heights that eclipse that of Iniesta, but also lows far below Iniesta's. That original Galactico's team was littered with stars but often times, Zidane and co were underwhelming. They had some embarrassing European and domestic defeats. All in all, they didn't win a lot. Zidane didn't play with nobodies either, he had Raul, Ronaldo, Beckham, Figo etc. as his teammates.

Put it this way, that kind of consistency is criticized these days. Somebody like Hazard has unplayable games and games where he is utterly invisible. Back in those days, this was a lot more regular.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7579 on: November 13, 2017, 05:40:00 pm »
If Iniesta had been around at his best when Zidane was at his best, they might be very close. But then Iniesta probably wouldn't be seen as that level anyway as he wouldn't have had Messi finishing what he created.....

I'd still go Iniesta though
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7580 on: November 13, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »
He didn’t have Messi when he won all those international trophies to be fair.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #7581 on: November 13, 2017, 06:07:54 pm »
Crucially though, if you look at their club careers, Zidane was capable of heights that eclipse that of Iniesta, but also lows far below Iniesta's.
When it’s all over though, you only remember the highs.  Nobody would have Lampard on a list like this.  Zidane’s highs are up there with anyone’s.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7582 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:07 pm »
When it’s all over though, you only remember the highs.  Nobody would have Lampard on a list like this.  Zidane’s highs are up there with anyone’s.

Exactly.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7583 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:39 pm »

Yeah exactly. Apart from his CL final goal, captaining his club to 2 European trophies, a screamer to win an FA Cup final, scoring the goals that secured his team's first league title in 50 years and three times being named his club's player of the year in seasons they won the league. But apart from that, Fat Frank's a great example of a player who didn't have massive footballing highs.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7584 on: November 13, 2017, 07:02:11 pm »
Zidane>Iniesta.

On the account i enjoyed watching Zidane more and he was so much more a clutch player in more big games and tournaments.

France 98 final.
Euro 2000.
Champions league final 2002.
2006 world cup.

Where does the great Michael Laudrup come in the argument for the better barca playmaker between him and Iniesta,i know Iniesta copies that trick of Laudrup's hallmark skill where he used to drag the ball onto the other foot when beating a player.

Laudrup>Iniesta for me.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ftu3OFoSAVs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ftu3OFoSAVs</a>

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7585 on: November 13, 2017, 07:04:08 pm »
I agree, and I don't mind people saying Zidane is better than Iniesta if they just talk about peak performances. But it all depends on criteria.

This way, you can come to some skewed understanding of who is "better" in such discussions. Zidane had legendary moments (in CL vs Bayern, in WC98, in WC2006 etc.), but there were other legendary players in that position like Rivaldo. Was Rivaldo a worse player than Zidane? They had roughly similar roles. The debate gets extremely subjective.

Regarding Lampard, he did well what he was good at, shooting from distance (deflected or not). And he had great numbers, he'd be a statisticians dream. However, football, especially in midfield, is much more than that. The other day Lineker, Shearer, Wright and Murphy were selecting the best team of the PL era. It should be on youtube if you want to watch. And these guys still came up with Lampard-Gerrard midfield, with a general idea that a different coach/manager would do better than what they have actually shown when they played together for England NT. That's probably correct except many truly great managers wouldn't actually play these 2 together (not as two CMs anyway). Players like Zidane, Iniesta and Xavi would have elevated and become focal points of their teams, would have been conductors. The limitations of Lampard has been all clear to see for England, that without a platform, he looks like an individual player trying to do it by himself. Other great players made their teams tick.

Interestingly, I thought I'd come up with 3 different teams that would perhaps beat the selection of those pundits. England would have performed far better with Alonso, Cesc Fabregas, Essien, Makelele etc., yet in England, nobody (among the pundits) would consider these to be better than Lampard. Says it all really.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7586 on: November 13, 2017, 07:14:33 pm »
Interestingly, I thought I'd come up with 3 different teams that would perhaps beat the selection of those pundits. England would have performed far better with Alonso, Cesc Fabregas, Essien, Makelele etc., yet in England, nobody (among the pundits) would consider these to be better than Lampard. Says it all really.

Mate, even Carrick or Hargreaves plus one of Gerrard or Lampard would have been better than Gerrard + Lampard, the team would have had much better balance. I'm surprised those BBC pundits still say Gerrard & Lampard could have worked, it seems a pretty well established fact these days that they were too similar to work effectively together. I'd put their selection down to ex-footballer pundits cozying up to their mates rather than properly criticising them - happens all the time in football coverage over here unfortunately

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7587 on: November 13, 2017, 07:20:57 pm »
Mate, even Carrick or Hargreaves plus one of Gerrard or Lampard would have been better than Gerrard + Lampard, the team would have had much better balance. I'm surprised those BBC pundits still say Gerrard & Lampard could have worked, it seems a pretty well established fact these days that they were too similar to work effectively together. I'd put their selection down to ex-footballer pundits cozying up to their mates rather than properly criticising them - happens all the time in football coverage over here unfortunately
Both Lampard and Gerrard were "free spirits". And I agree, Carrick should have been played instead of one of them.

Had Lampard been a bench player for England NT, he wouldn't be rated nearly as high. Not that he has done remarkable things for England, but at the moment, the coaches are blamed for it. The coaches deserve some blame for starting him actually.

Gerrard is a better version of Lampard. I would have gone with Carrick-Scholes-Gerrard in midfield. Even Carrick-Gerrard is a bit light in midfield as Gerrard roams a lot leaving behind one midfielder.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:24:24 pm by Xxavi »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7588 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:28 pm »
I agree, and I don't mind people saying Zidane is better than Iniesta if they just talk about peak performances. But it all depends on criteria.

This way, you can come to some skewed understanding of who is "better" in such discussions. Zidane had legendary moments (in CL vs Bayern, in WC98, in WC2006 etc.), but there were other legendary players in that position like Rivaldo. Was Rivaldo a worse player than Zidane? They had roughly similar roles. The debate gets extremely subjective.

Regarding Lampard, he did well what he was good at, shooting from distance (deflected or not). And he had great numbers, he'd be a statisticians dream. However, football, especially in midfield, is much more than that. The other day Lineker, Shearer, Wright and Murphy were selecting the best team of the PL era. It should be on youtube if you want to watch. And these guys still came up with Lampard-Gerrard midfield, with a general idea that a different coach/manager would do better than what they have actually shown when they played together for England NT. That's probably correct except many truly great managers wouldn't actually play these 2 together (not as two CMs anyway). Players like Zidane, Iniesta and Xavi would have elevated and become focal points of their teams, would have been conductors. The limitations of Lampard has been all clear to see for England, that without a platform, he looks like an individual player trying to do it by himself. Other great players made their teams tick.

What does it say, we don't have good pundits?

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7589 on: November 13, 2017, 08:09:06 pm »
flawed logic anyway, just because they aren't a good fit together doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't the 2 best PL midfielders (I disagree, but in this type of dream team, player fit doesn't matter at all)

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7590 on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:32 pm »
flawed logic anyway, just because they aren't a good fit together doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't the 2 best PL midfielders (I disagree, but in this type of dream team, player fit doesn't matter at all)
But that's the issue, if they aren't good fit, it probably means there are serious limitations to their games.

And Lampard did  have serious limitations.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7591 on: November 14, 2017, 02:31:20 am »
This would have meant dropping Owen and lampard

Nice lads popular with fans and players, not a very sven like move.

In 2004, may have meant dropping Rooney as well

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7592 on: November 14, 2017, 02:35:04 am »
This is the perfect place to discuss all of this btw. We all knew already that Micheal Carrick is really the Lionel Messi of English Midfielders.   ;D

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7593 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:52 am »
This is the perfect place to discuss all of this btw. We all knew already that Micheal Carrick is really the Lionel Messi of English Midfielders.   ;D

Makes you realise how lucky we were to twice play Man Utd's famous 'Super Sixers' last season - The White Pele, The English Messi, Jones is The New Duncan Edwards, Martial's The New Henry, all in one team. 

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7594 on: November 14, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »
Still not signed his contract has he???

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7595 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »
Argentina are a mess without him. I wonder how far he'll manage to take them in the next World Cup. Not too far I reckon

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7596 on: November 14, 2017, 11:44:18 pm »
But that's the issue, if they aren't good fit, it probably means there are serious limitations to their games.

Not really... in a similar PL team you could put in, say, Makelele and Essien - attacking limitations, or Scholes and Alonso - work rate limitations, just two other examples of overlapping skillsets like Stevie and Fat Frank. The 'best PL XI' is designed around finding 11 players that excelled most from a particular position. If the position is CM then you find the two best CMs, not the best hypothetical pairing of CMs. It's just the flawed, non-realistic nature of a dream XI that has 2 CMs and not AM/DM.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7597 on: November 15, 2017, 12:23:33 am »

What were those? He was an incredible complete player. He wasn't a physical freak as Gerrard but his stamina and durability were second to none, coupled with a great tactical nous. His passing game and set pieces were very good, not elite but certainly better than most of his peers. His finishing and shooting in general were elite, the numbers speak for themselves. His touch and dribbling weren't world class, but he was very efficient on possession. I can't think of any "serious limitations" as you put it, maybe not being spanish.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:26:34 am by Lastrador »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7598 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »
What were those? He was an incredible complete player. He wasn't a physical freak as Gerrard but his stamina and durability were second to none, coupled with a great tactical nous. His passing game and set pieces were very good, not elite but certainly better than most of his peers. His finishing and shooting in general were elite, the numbers speak for themselves. His touch and dribbling weren't world class, but he was very efficient on possession. I can't think of any "serious limitations" as you put it, maybe not being spanish.
For one, couldn’t run a game to save his life. And yes, that’s the most important thing for a midfielder. Especially CM.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7599 on: November 15, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »
Tell you what, I’d take all of these above Lampard in their respective peaks:
Essien
Alonso
Fabregas
Scholes
Gerrard