539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1449091 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Pretty much living the Orwellian future in Airstrip One
« Reply #26000 on: September 3, 2019, 10:35:02 pm »
But they'd need a majority and not two thirds, right?

I think it's two thirds for a GE.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #26001 on: September 3, 2019, 10:35:43 pm »
But they'd need a majority and not two thirds, right?

As I understand it, they need 2/3rds.

But the Government could pass another bill, effectively bypassing the FTPA (fixed term parliament act).
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26002 on: September 3, 2019, 10:35:49 pm »
Assuming we get a extension till Jan then it's time to face realty, this has to be sorted by April to avoid massive complications, MPs know theres no majority for any deal. time to use any extension wisely, hold a referendum. remain and let Johnson fight a GE arguing for a no deal after the countries voted to remain.
how can there be another referendum? hasn't that possibility been voted down in the House already?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #26003 on: September 3, 2019, 10:36:02 pm »
If (when) the vote on a GE fails, can the government declare it has no confidence in itself to push one through?
That doesn't trigger an election. The Commons then has 14 days to come up with an alternative govt before an election can be called.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26004 on: September 3, 2019, 10:36:06 pm »
Johnson believes he'll win an outright majority by promising to leave the EU by 31st October, extrapolating from Peston. But do the polls support that?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #26005 on: September 3, 2019, 10:36:08 pm »
1 Brexit Party

Hoey

For I moment I thought that was a thing I'd missed today. Believable.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #26006 on: September 3, 2019, 10:36:37 pm »
Look at the names though, they could remove the whip from hem and half would be re-elected as independents..

It makes it worse and worse.  What an absurd strategy.  It’s so silly it almost purposefully so.

A lot of Brexiteers have never come across as that intelligent. The thing I don't get is Cummings role in this. We're told this guy is a genius, maybe he believed it too. Well its bitten him on the arse tonight.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26007 on: September 3, 2019, 10:37:36 pm »
So it all comes down to getting the bill to take no deal off the table voted in before the vote to break the fixed parliament act?

Is that correct?

Don't think Johnson is going to table the bill to try and get around the FTPA if he's leaving a confidence vote to tomorrow. David Allen Green (FT's constitutional law commentator) reckons that it could be because someone has pointed out a new bill can be amended. May didn't legislate anything controversial or EU related for months for the same reason.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26008 on: September 3, 2019, 10:37:41 pm »
Leadsom talking shite now

What's new?  ::)
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #26009 on: September 3, 2019, 10:37:45 pm »
Johnson believes he'll win an outright majority by promising to leave the EU by 31st October, extrapolating from Peston. But do the polls support that?

I don't think the polls could reliably tell anyone anything right now.
:D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26010 on: September 3, 2019, 10:38:02 pm »
They may be Tories and I have very strong disagreements with them but they've just sacrificed their careers for the country.

Fair fucking play.

Well put.

Also, well in Corbyn for both not taking the bait and for leading with a defence of parliamentary democracy

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26011 on: September 3, 2019, 10:38:08 pm »
A lot of Brexiteers have never come across as that intelligent. The thing I don't get is Cummings role in this. We're told this guy is a genius, maybe he believed it too. Well its bitten him on the arse tonight.

Said it before, Cumberbatch lied to us by playing him like he played an actual great like Turing. Lazy bastard.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26012 on: September 3, 2019, 10:38:52 pm »
Will the Scots Tory vote collapse as well?

It almost certainly will drop enough to lose almost all their seats. LAtest poll has SNP taking 52 out of 59 seats, with the Lib Dems getting almost all the rest of them. Labour will likely hold one seat.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26013 on: September 3, 2019, 10:39:01 pm »
Someone like Soames or Brine having the whip removed will be controversial. Some of them are clearly out on their arse like Grieve but Brine and Soames are highly liked and respected by nearly every Tory.

Hasn't Hammond's local party already re-selected him. How do the Tories go about this, do they move against their own local parties? They really would mean war.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26014 on: September 3, 2019, 10:39:09 pm »
For I moment I thought that was a thing I'd missed today. Believable.

Think she was hinting very recently that she'd be standing at the next election for another party. Don't think it'll be too long to wait for it to happen.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26015 on: September 3, 2019, 10:39:17 pm »

But the Government could pass another bill, effectively bypassing the FTPA (fixed term parliament act).

With 21 rebels under threat of deselection this government isn't passing anything.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26016 on: September 3, 2019, 10:39:31 pm »
how can there be another referendum? hasn't that possibility been voted down in the House already?
I don't know how it will be achieved. I know they managed to vote on Mays deal at least 3 times.maybe some way around it but am no expert.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26017 on: September 3, 2019, 10:39:55 pm »

That would need to go through the Lords though I think.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26018 on: September 3, 2019, 10:40:01 pm »
Forgive me for being crass in a democracy but It would be nice if someone could get hold of that c*nt who keeps shouting when the beeb are trying to interview people on parliament green. Wouldn’t be so bad if you could actually hear what the fuck he was saying.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26019 on: September 3, 2019, 10:40:04 pm »
If a GE is somehow forced Labour's absolute Ace card would be to switch leaders to Yvette Cooper. Suck on that huge, huge election defeat Boris  ;D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26020 on: September 3, 2019, 10:40:56 pm »
Kuensberg reckons the rebel’s are gone

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26021 on: September 3, 2019, 10:41:52 pm »
Tory rebels given second chance to prove loyalty tomorrow before losing whip, says Leadsom

Andrea Leadsom, the business secretary, has signalled that the Tory rebels will not have the whip removed immediately. In an interview with BBC, she said that she hoped that the MPs who voted against the government would “reconsider overnight” and decide to vote with the government to defeat the bill tomorrow. Asked if they would lose the whip immediately, she said they wouldn’t. They would get a second chance, she said.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26022 on: September 3, 2019, 10:42:09 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #26023 on: September 3, 2019, 10:42:23 pm »
If a GE is somehow forced Labour's absolute Ace card would be to switch leaders to Yvette Cooper. Suck on that huge, huge election defeat Boris  ;D

You've just put my innermost fantasy into words!
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #26024 on: September 3, 2019, 10:43:12 pm »

Worryingly this could actually happen. It’d be close at the very least. Think the main bbc poll guy earlier thought Johnson could get the 326(?) based on current polling.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26025 on: September 3, 2019, 10:43:34 pm »
That would need to go through the Lords though I think.

It would. And it would get amended to fuckery and back by an opposition with a majority of 20 odd. It's like throwing a boomerang into a slurry pit. Even if it comes back, you wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26026 on: September 3, 2019, 10:44:10 pm »
Former Liberal Democrats leader Tim Farron tweeted: “It’s in the obvious interests of the Liberal Democrats to vote for a general election now... but to do so would lead to Britain dropping out with no deal and waste 6 of the next vital 8 weeks, so we will put the country first.”

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26027 on: September 3, 2019, 10:44:16 pm »
Tory rebels given second chance to prove loyalty tomorrow before losing whip, says Leadsom

Andrea Leadsom, the business secretary, has signalled that the Tory rebels will not have the whip removed immediately. In an interview with BBC, she said that she hoped that the MPs who voted against the government would “reconsider overnight” and decide to vote with the government to defeat the bill tomorrow. Asked if they would lose the whip immediately, she said they wouldn’t. They would get a second chance, she said.

"You crossed the line! Now don't cross this line! Okay, well definitely don't cross this one! STOP CROSSING THE LINES!!"

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #26028 on: September 3, 2019, 10:45:13 pm »
PM's new proposed election date is 15 October
After criticism that the originally proposed date of 14 October would exclude religious Jews, because of a clash with the festival of Succot, the government has made a change.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg says that if enough MPs back the motion for a general election, it will now be held a day later, on 15 October.
#Sausages

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #26029 on: September 3, 2019, 10:46:05 pm »
Can someone explain to me the consequence of being de-selected and losing the whip?
:D

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26030 on: September 3, 2019, 10:46:16 pm »
They may be Tories and I have very strong disagreements with them but they've just sacrificed their careers for the country.

Fair fucking play.

They are fed up with being bullied by a same gang of thunderklunts. Might be the start of the tory's being able to cleanse their party of the far right loons.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26031 on: September 3, 2019, 10:46:24 pm »
Look at the names though, they could remove the whip from hem and half would be re-elected as independents..

It makes it worse and worse.  What an absurd strategy.  It’s so silly it almost purposefully so.
Hammond's constituency party has already declared him their candidate. Removing the whip from MPs is one thing, but Johnson may reach a point where he has to suspend constituency parties - and then have no local organisation for any 'official' candidate.

Soames won't stand in the next election. Clarke says he may struggle to vote Conservative.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26032 on: September 3, 2019, 10:46:39 pm »
Can someone explain to me the consequence of being de-selected and losing the whip?

It means they cannot represent the Tory party, but they can stand as Independents.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26033 on: September 3, 2019, 10:47:20 pm »
Cannot be the party candidate in a coming election. Hammond (for one) is going to challenge that.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26034 on: September 3, 2019, 10:47:31 pm »

Johnson gives Tory rebels a extension.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26035 on: September 3, 2019, 10:47:40 pm »

::)

I hope that doesn’t affect anything tomorrow.

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26036 on: September 3, 2019, 10:47:44 pm »
I don’t want to sound thick, but could someone please explain like I’m 5, exactly what’s happened?

From my understanding as of tomorrow MP’s can propose a bill to take no deal off the table for good, and the government have no way of stopping it if this is voted in?

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #26037 on: September 3, 2019, 10:48:36 pm »
Surely it's in Labour's best interests tactically to not back an election until an extension from the EU has been confirmed?

Passing the bill tomorrow is pointless if there's going to be an election before the 31st of October.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #26038 on: September 3, 2019, 10:48:52 pm »
Those polls are all academic now we’ve just seen the most incompetent government display in our lifetimes.  It’s the next poll that will be interesting.
Yup, that would change everything.  But sadly ...
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 10:51:23 pm by Iska »

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26039 on: September 3, 2019, 10:49:06 pm »
Respect to those who put the country ahead of their careers. Not an easy decision to make.

Boris is turning out to be quite a little dictator, far more dangerous than the mumbling buffoon of the last few months.