Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19  (Read 237340 times)

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19
« Reply #1320 on: March 5, 2019, 09:09:43 pm »

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1321 on: March 5, 2019, 09:12:52 pm »

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1322 on: March 5, 2019, 10:17:44 pm »
I uploaded those two visuals in a hurry earlier, but now I've got time to comment a bit too.

I think they both show that so far we've been pretty consistent with our results in relation to par.  We've had three fixtures with results below par, two of which were against Man City.  Leicester at home was the other.

No matter what happens from now, we've had a remarkable season so far, and better than I would have predicted before the season started.  Man City have dropped more points than us despite playing to par in both games against us.  It could well end up being those two results being the difference if they go on to win.

As for the recent 'analysis' by the media... Draws away at West Ham, Man Utd and Everton are all good results.  On another day, any of those could have been wins which shows just how strong we are.  We're one heck of a side, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Now let's make sure if we don't win the title, we make Man City have to win it from here!

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1323 on: March 6, 2019, 12:46:50 pm »

So with this in mind... with quick maths (might be wrong):

City are averaging 1.77 PPG in PAR 1 games and 2.75 in PAR 3 games
LFC are averaging 1.81 PPG in PAR 1 games and 2.77 in PAR 3 games

Taking into account how many PAR 1 and PAR 3 games are left for each team and doing the numbers, it forecasts both teams to end up on 93 points!

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1324 on: March 6, 2019, 05:59:09 pm »

Taking into account how many PAR 1 and PAR 3 games are left for each team and doing the numbers, it forecasts both teams to end up on 93 points!
Thanks. That's very interesting.  It kinda brings back the idea of having a few par 2s in place of the "easier" par 1s

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1325 on: March 6, 2019, 10:53:15 pm »

Whoop. Thats what I predicted.

Albeit losing the league on goal difference? Ouch.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1326 on: March 8, 2019, 07:16:59 am »
Whoop. Thats what I predicted.

Albeit losing the league on goal difference? Ouch.

Given our greater number of par 3's left you could theorise that we have a greater chance of closing the current difference of 6 in goal difference.  Would only take 1 decent scoreline to tighten that gap on City.

That, or it's thrashing Wolves on the last day. ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1327 on: March 8, 2019, 07:23:52 am »
Given our greater number of par 3's left you could theorise that we have a greater chance of closing the current difference of 6 in goal difference.  Would only take 1 decent scoreline to tighten that gap on City.

That, or it's thrashing Wolves on the last day. ;D

Id be confident of closing that gap if City didnt have Fulham and Cardiff still to play.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #1328 on: March 8, 2019, 08:05:06 am »
Id be confident of closing that gap if City didnt have Fulham and Cardiff still to play.

We play those two as well and Huddersfield at home. But I think this is stupid talk to be honest, the most important thing for us is to beat all of those three teams and get 9 points on the board. Goal difference rarely matters, and should we bridge the gap to City points-wise, the goal differences will be close.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1329 on: March 8, 2019, 12:54:58 pm »
Thanks. That's very interesting.  It kinda brings back the idea of having a few par 2s in place of the "easier" par 1s

There is two ways of looking at it in my mind.

Either that City have more of the difficult/PAR1 games - I had obviously been projecting an additional 1.77 points each time they played one, even if they do draw, that falls below this average resulting in a huge dent to the projected 93 points.

Or alternatively, you look at it in the other way, in that City have the more 'opportunities'. Get 3 points in even one of those PAR 1 games and it would make a huge difference to their title chase.

Liverpool by contrast basically have no margin for error. They must steam roll the PAR3 games. Certainly less margin for error I would say.

I know I'm preaching to the converted with you Prof as you obviously designed the thing, more for people with a general interest in the thread. Funny things are going to happen in this run in though, we may well be doing revised maths after each game.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #1330 on: March 8, 2019, 01:04:08 pm »

Please no. My heart wouldn't be able to handle that
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1331 on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:08 am »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 30
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1332 on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:53 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 30
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:30:59 am by RooiBefok »
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1333 on: March 11, 2019, 06:41:36 am »
APLT Actual + Revolving Par : Matchweek 30

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1334 on: March 11, 2019, 06:42:18 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Matchweek 30

Online goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #1335 on: March 11, 2019, 07:57:14 am »
There is two ways of looking at it in my mind.

Either that City have more of the difficult/PAR1 games - I had obviously been projecting an additional 1.77 points each time they played one, even if they do draw, that falls below this average resulting in a huge dent to the projected 93 points.

Or alternatively, you look at it in the other way, in that City have the more 'opportunities'. Get 3 points in even one of those PAR 1 games and it would make a huge difference to their title chase.

Liverpool by contrast basically have no margin for error. They must steam roll the PAR3 games. Certainly less margin for error I would say.

I know I'm preaching to the converted with you Prof as you obviously designed the thing, more for people with a general interest in the thread. Funny things are going to happen in this run in though, we may well be doing revised maths after each game.

Nah, there is only one way of looking at it. City have harder run in  - that's whole function of the APLT, to put the actual table into some sort of perspective.

It's not an exact science. Burnley, for instance, were a top ten side last year but struggling this year to avoid relegation which distorts the model somewhat. However, in the round, it's an extremly effective and informative guide to the positions of the contenders in relation to the difficulties of the games they have played to date.

Normally I would say that, when assessing a teams chances of winning the title with eight games to go, its slightly preferable to be three points clear in the APLT than 1 point  clear in the real table. The caveat this year is that City are a truly exceptional side and could well win every one of thier eight remaining games. I think that's unlikely but only a fool would rule it out.

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1336 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:38 am »
I sit next to an Arsenal fan at work and we were discussing the top four permutations for this season and I showed him a couple of the prediction tables on here. Its remarkable to think that currently it looks like teams will need 80+ points to make it into the top four and possibly 90+ to get to second. That's 10 points more than the 17-18 season and 10 to 15 points more than the 15-16 season. The standard is incredible, which I think is reflected by the strong performances of the English teams in Europe against teams from other leagues whose levels must be starting to fall behind to a certain extent. 
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1337 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:59 am »
Nah, there is only one way of looking at it. City have harder run in  - that's whole function of the APLT, to put the actual table into some sort of perspective.

It's not an exact science. Burnley, for instance, were a top ten side last year but struggling this year to avoid relegation which distorts the model somewhat. However, in the round, it's an extremly effective and informative guide to the positions of the contenders in relation to the difficulties of the games they have played to date.

Normally I would say that, when assessing a teams chances of winning the title with eight games to go, its slightly preferable to be three points clear in the APLT than 1 point  clear in the real table. The caveat this year is that City are a truly exceptional side and could well win every one of thier eight remaining games. I think that's unlikely but only a fool would rule it out.

Yeah, I understand what this model is telling us in black and white but as you finished your post with, City are more than capable of ripping up what the model tells us. We know it isn’t going to be that straightforward.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1338 on: March 11, 2019, 06:39:59 pm »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1339 on: March 11, 2019, 07:05:45 pm »

That Spurs trendline though   :o
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1340 on: March 11, 2019, 07:36:47 pm »
That Spurs trendline though   :o
Like a post-coital droop. They've had their climax
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1341 on: March 11, 2019, 07:40:34 pm »

It's too close for comfort as we head into the closing straight

Incredibe how close this is. Just that one extra point we lost at home...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1342 on: March 11, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »
Imagine if Mahrez had scored that pen though
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1343 on: March 11, 2019, 08:50:51 pm »
Thank you for continuing to plot the graph and put this up. I knew we both held course after the weekend, but it encourages me to see the APLT! The finish line is one game closer and we are holding steady.

It is going to be so close, and I think if we can stay in touch in the real table, then by the time they have a run that includes Crystal Palace, Spurs and Man Utd, we might edge ahead.

The standard has been incredible and it very much looks like two are going for the title, and four are going for the remaining two CL spots. Spurs have faded badly and they are going to have to regroup and beat Man City to stave off a strong challenge for their top four spot!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1344 on: March 12, 2019, 08:47:56 am »
It is going to be so close, and I think if we can stay in touch in the real table, then by the time they have a run that includes Crystal Palace, Spurs and Man Utd, we might edge ahead.

This is where I'm at as well. Our next four are huge, in that it contains probably our toughest three remaining fixtures, as City play 14th, 18th and 19th respectively - and then it flips as City enter their tough run. If we can just get through these next four in step with them we could potentially find ourselves 2 games ahead but 5 points clear, and that's when I think you'll see the pressure really on them, and then it will be extremely interesting to see how they handle it heading into that tough spell - alongside CL fixtures as well. If you're City, you're hoping to extend your lead and essentially win it in this next four. If we win them I think we win the league, I really do. That's easier said than done, but absolutely not impossible.

As a slight aside, I have absolutely no idea where Cardiff gets slotted in for them, assuming they beat Swansea in the cup.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:56:01 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1345 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:43 am »
Wow, Spurs are in a freefall
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1346 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:10 am »
Thanks again Prof :)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1347 on: March 12, 2019, 09:55:09 am »
As a slight aside, I have absolutely no idea where Cardiff gets slotted in for them, assuming they beat Swansea in the cup.

2nd or 3rd of April.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1348 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:47 pm »
RAPLT: Week 30

Bottom 7

All teams below 0 points

3 Game Moving Average
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:48:47 pm by JCB »

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1349 on: March 12, 2019, 08:37:48 pm »
RAPLT: Week 30

Bottom 7

All teams below 0 points

3 Game Moving Average

Cheers for this. In the real table Cardiff are only 2 points from safety, but 7 points on this.

Everton sitting in or around the 38 point line for a while now.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #1350 on: March 13, 2019, 08:23:03 am »
Cheers for this. In the real table Cardiff are only 2 points from safety, but 7 points on this.

Four of Cardiff's last eight are against top six sides. They have to go to Burnley too, so they'll probably need to win there to have a chance of staying up.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1351 on: March 17, 2019, 06:27:20 pm »

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:06:34 pm by Prof »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: March 17, 2019, 06:33:38 pm »
Fucking hell Spurs have thrown themselves off a cliff!!

Nice steady straight line there for the Redmen, top of the league again for at least 2wks then the shit really starts to hit the fan.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1353 on: March 17, 2019, 06:56:17 pm »
Weve only dropped points to par three times this season..

That’s incredible (as are city )
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:08:34 pm by Preserved for posterity. »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #1354 on: March 17, 2019, 06:59:27 pm »

Thanks, Prof. Our away form is mint.

Quick note: The running total is some ways behind. :)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: March 17, 2019, 07:40:03 pm »
Thanks Prof :)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1356 on: March 17, 2019, 07:42:07 pm »
Still looking pretty good. Cheers, Prof.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1357 on: March 17, 2019, 10:01:07 pm »
Thanks, Prof. Our away form is mint.

Quick note: The running total is some ways behind. :)
Ah yes, thanks

I didn't even look at it, just uploaded it

I'll have to work out what's broken on that view

Edit: nothing was broken... I just uploaded the wrong file  ;D

Fixed now
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:07:35 pm by Prof »

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1358 on: March 18, 2019, 07:45:27 am »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 31

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1359 on: March 18, 2019, 07:46:15 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 31