Author Topic: Injury (and absence) related chat (so the news is kept in the other thread)  (Read 577242 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
If the club does not bring anyone in, it's a Big big test for Klopp's management with the midfielders out.

The club's not bringing anyone in to cover for a 6 week injury.  Think about how long it took players like Fabinho and Robbo to get up to speed with the system.  We bring someone in now to cover for Thiago and they likely won't be up to speed until January.  Doesn't make any sense unless it's a long term target. 

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The club's not bringing anyone in to cover for a 6 week injury.  Think about how long it took players like Fabinho and Robbo to get up to speed with the system.  We bring someone in now to cover for Thiago and they likely won't be up to speed until January.  Doesn't make any sense unless it's a long term target.

Yes it's clear that Jurgen and his staff plan transfers and wait until the optimum moment to make a move, unless something threatens the plan as with Diaz. Next year's midfield will already be in Jurgen's plans and only a catastrophic injury would hasten any move. Remember the Fabinho, Naby and Fekir moves. I guess we will go with what we've got which isn't a bad group by any means.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
It’s frustrating but we seem to want to do things the most difficult way possible, we will struggle week to week as it stands and add extra mileage/load to the legs of our fitter players

Jones in particular has to be the most frustrating player at the club, he should be pushing to be a starter now given his ability

I think Ox could give him a run for his money, he was fit for a large part last of season and was nowhere near starting a game for us so I really thought he would be asking for a move away in the summer but he was more than happy to just carry on then got injured  :butt

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan

This. Plus, I think we don't really do stop gaps either. If we look back to Ben Davies and Steven Caulker, JK really only wants players that he can work with in the longer term, rather than just place-holders, no disrespect to those lads.

The difficulty is that to get a CM in for our side, they need a very special skillset found only in the rarest midfielders and that's pretty hard going. The actual issue for me is that Fabinho aside, our midfielders are either too brittle or aren't consistently good enough. On their day, all of Hendo, Naby, Curtis and Milner can be really good players, but we just don't see it often enough. Too often, we actually see very mediocre and inconsistent performances. We will need some replacements going forward, but I doubt that we'll just bring in anyone. Hopefully we can scout out a top DM and a 1-2 with the athleticism of a younger Hendo and a bit more quality on the ball and creativity going forward. Like I said, pretty rare skillset to find so it's not going to be easy.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
well nobody's said it yet so I'll do it ....

if we do get any thinner in midfield in the next 2 months -- put Trent in there with Joe at RB while we wait for things to settle down.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen

if we do get any thinner in midfield in the next 2 months -- put Trent in there with Joe at RB while we wait for things to settle down.

Why would you do that ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
This. Plus, I think we don't really do stop gaps either. If we look back to Ben Davies and Steven Caulker, JK really only wants players that he can work with in the longer term, rather than just place-holders, no disrespect to those lads.

The difficulty is that to get a CM in for our side, they need a very special skillset found only in the rarest midfielders and that's pretty hard going. The actual issue for me is that Fabinho aside, our midfielders are either too brittle or aren't consistently good enough. On their day, all of Hendo, Naby, Curtis and Milner can be really good players, but we just don't see it often enough. Too often, we actually see very mediocre and inconsistent performances. We will need some replacements going forward, but I doubt that we'll just bring in anyone. Hopefully we can scout out a top DM and a 1-2 with the athleticism of a younger Hendo and a bit more quality on the ball and creativity going forward. Like I said, pretty rare skillset to find so it's not going to be easy.
I think it's not just our side where getting a CM is difficult, the market isn't great in general.  If we have to cobble things together for this season but the pay-off is Bellingham next summer then I'd fully support that.  As Man U are amply demonstrating it's not easy to just bring in a panic midfield signing.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
I think it's not just our side where getting a CM is difficult, the market isn't great in general.  If we have to cobble things together for this season but the pay-off is Bellingham next summer then I'd fully support that.  As Man U are amply demonstrating it's not easy to just bring in a panic midfield signing.

But Bellingham isn’t going to revolutionise us
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Do we need a revolution?  I presume we'll be gradually replacing the roles currently fulfilled by Milner (Hendo), Hendo (Bellingham) and Thiago (?).

Edit: I may have missed some sarcasm in your post  ;D

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
nunes seems relatively cheap at 50 million euros, my worry is next year we will be seen a desperate for jude and borussia may relish a bidding war.
i am not english so see bellingham as a good footballer but like sancho have yet to be convinced that he is a generational talent

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
Why would you do that ?
Like I said ... if we lose another 1 or 2 midfielders while Thiago is out, and you want to fill a midfield spot with a superb player,  and don't want to put huge pressure on a teenager .... while preserving a very solid backline.

It's valid to say "time for Harvey to step up" but he's still a kid. Same with Carvalho.  Klopp will be happy to give them minutes but he sure as shit won't burn them out or hang them out to dry.

Online stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan

Is a beautiful idea. He’d score a few further up the pitch, too.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Is a beautiful idea. He’d score a few further up the pitch, too.
He spends most of his time up the pitch now doesn't he  :)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Like I said ... if we lose another 1 or 2 midfielders while Thiago is out, and you want to fill a midfield spot with a superb player,  and don't want to put huge pressure on a teenager .... while preserving a very solid backline.

It's valid to say "time for Harvey to step up" but he's still a kid. Same with Carvalho.  Klopp will be happy to give them minutes but he sure as shit won't burn them out or hang them out to dry.

Trent is a RB

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Trent is a RB
Wow, wasn't aware of that.

What's your point?

Hendo and Fab are both midfielders who were called in to CB in a pinch.

Trent started out as a midfielder.

Joe has played every back 4 position for us.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
He’s played in Midfield for England

He was a bit shit playing in midfield for England, but he’s played midfield for England

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Wow, wasn't aware of that.

What's your point?

Hendo and Fab are both midfielders who were called in to CB in a pinch.

Trent started out as a midfielder.

Joe has played every back 4 position for us.

My point is Trent is a RB and not a midfielder like the other two weren’t CBs

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anymore injuries in midfield and we are fooked!

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
All fair enough that Jurgen and the club have the standpoint that we shouldn't panic buy a midfielder for a short term lack of bodies. But I can't believe Gini Wijnaldum hasn't been discussed more as a stop-gap. By all accounts PSG want rid - for a year loan he wouldn't cost us much beyond wages, knows the system, manager and players, loves the club, he gets game time before the World Cup, we get an experienced quality short-term solution. Seems like a win-win on all sides.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
All fair enough that Jurgen and the club have the standpoint that we shouldn't panic buy a midfielder for a short term lack of bodies. But I can't believe Gini Wijnaldum hasn't been discussed more as a stop-gap. By all accounts PSG want rid - for a year loan he wouldn't cost us much beyond wages, knows the system, manager and players, loves the club, he gets game time before the World Cup, we get an experienced quality short-term solution. Seems like a win-win on all sides.

I dont think Roma would let us have him
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
I dont think Roma would let us have him

Haha, shit - completely missed that  :duh Wish it had been us.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
My point is Trent is a RB and not a midfielder like the other two weren’t CBs
So in the scenario I described, you'd do what?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
So in the scenario I described, you'd do what?

Play midfielders in their position or buy one

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Play midfielders in their position or buy one

That’s a plan.

Worked out well played midfielders at centre back. :D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Okay midfielders in their position or buy one
the point is in that scenario we might not have enough "ok midfielders" ... unless you think starting Bajcetic in a few tough PL games would be good for his development.

apart from the totally dogmatic "Trent is an RB" (which of course is ignoring his background, and ignoring how he's positioned on the pitch most of the time) what reason would you have to not move him forward and drop Joe at RB?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
the point is in that scenario we might not have enough "ok midfielders" ... unless you think starting Bajcetic in a few tough PL games would be good for his development.

apart from the totally dogmatic "Trent is an RB" (which of course is ignoring his background, and ignoring how he's positioned on the pitch most of the time) what reason would you have to not move him forward and drop Joe at RB?

But starting a RB who has never played there for us, and is our most potent attacking threat AT right back, would be? :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

But is Trent as a midfielder the answer to our midfield problems?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
But starting a RB who has never played there for us, and is our most potent attacking threat AT right back, would be? :D

Apparently so.

Remember when Hendo and Fab played at CB and picked up injuries as not used to playing there

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
yes.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
But is Trent as a midfielder the answer to our midfield problems?
in an emergency ... why not?  do you think him at MF and Joe at RB would = a weak team or something?

just saying "he's an RB" provides no rationale for not doing it.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Apparently so.

Remember when Hendo and Fab played at CB and picked up injuries as not used to playing there
LOL.  you're ignoring one of my points -- where does Trent spend most minutes of most games?  in the right side of midfield!

I'm not saying "Ali and Kell are both out injured - put Mo in goal!"  :)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
in an emergency ... why not?  do you think him at MF and Joe at RB would = a weak team or something?

Yesterday it was play Matip in midfield (despite Konate being injured) and now it's put Trent there.

Throwing midfielders at the back when we left ourselves short of defenders didn't exactly work out for the defence or the midfield in 20/21.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
LOL.  you're ignoring one of my points -- where does Trent spend most minutes of most games?  in the right side of midfield!

Or just sign a top quality player that can improve the Team

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Yes, from RB :D

Tell you what though, Alisson spends most of his time around the 18 yard line so stick him at CB and then use Virg in midfield

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan

Nobody wants to answer these points, then.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Yes, from RB :D

Tell you what though, Alisson spends most of his time around the 18 yard line so stick him at CB and then use Virg in midfield
That's just dumb, or purely argumentative.  Or both.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Yesterday it was play Matip in midfield (despite Konate being injured)

Not by me.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's just dumb, or purely argumentative.  Or both.

He finds himself on the right ‘of midfield’ because he’s an attacking right back, not because he’s a natural midfielder. It’s utter nonsense, like saying any attacking full back should play there. Why not Robbo? We’ve got better cover at LB, stick Robbo in CM and Tsimikas at LB. Sorted.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
Don't necessarily think we ran the gauntlet with not saying anyone as we've been keen to wait in the past and hence why we're not in the position of the Mancs but I feel Thiago is the only midfielder who can bring a bit of tempo to our play and without him we're lacking that pivot in midfield who moves in on quick and can also pick the right pass.

Not too many out there in his mould so hope Jurgen finds a good solution for the weeks that he's seemingly out.  Id start to bed in one of Jones / Carvalho or preferably Elliott. 

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
On another note, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Ramsay?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.