Author Topic: Melwood Buyers Announced  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Melwood Buyers Announced
« Reply #40 on: August 2, 2019, 01:03:25 pm »
It would be like asking for one of McClaren’s old racing cars to take the kids to school and do the weekly shop.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #41 on: August 2, 2019, 01:25:53 pm »
Has it been confirmed that the land will be used for affordable/social housing?

Torus are a social landlord but they do also develop properties that aren't designated for Affordable Rent.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #42 on: August 2, 2019, 02:35:21 pm »
It’s basically a big shed. The world class facilities are moving to Kirby. It’s world class because the club spend a fortune on running costs, maintenance and staff. 

Who would find the staffing and running costs if it was transferred to the local community?

Aren’t the Bill Shankly pitches just down the road? How are they being looked after?

Surely a community project like this is partly self funding. There is a dividend from keeping people active and healthy. Sport England have changed tack and have less emphasis on elite sport and more on getting people more active. Surely that could happen at Melwood. You could have a major sport being based here and have the facilities open to the general public as well. Other cities manage to do it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 2, 2019, 02:43:48 pm »
Surely a community project like this is partly self funding. There is a dividend from keeping people active and healthy. Sport England have changed tack and have less emphasis on elite sport and more on getting people more active. Surely that could happen at Melwood. You could have a major sport being based here and have the facilities open to the general public as well. Other cities manage to do it.

Looking at an aerial photo the layout is designed to service the needs of twenty or so elite athletes supported by a large number of staff. There aren’t enough pitches and the parking is limited. The facilities aren’t configured for community use. It might be of use and sustainable for a similar type of sports club but if you weren’t Liverpool FC then why would you want that facility in the middle of a residential area?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #44 on: August 2, 2019, 02:53:37 pm »
Looking at an aerial photo the layout is designed to service the needs of twenty or so elite athletes supported by a large number of staff. There aren’t enough pitches and the parking is limited. The facilities aren’t configured for community use. It might be of use and sustainable for a similar type of sports club but if you weren’t Liverpool FC then why would you want that facility in the middle of a residential area?

It looks like the kind of site a free school would use possibly.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #45 on: August 2, 2019, 03:52:23 pm »

In an ideal world yes. But does the local community have the spare cash to pay fees to access and maintain? If not, it would have needed government subsidies. Does the council have enough money to buy a luxury gym? Is it spending enough on policing, health services, social care, bin collection, education etc?

Did sport England put a bid in for Melwood? Did the council?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #46 on: August 2, 2019, 04:00:47 pm »
In an ideal world yes. But does the local community have the spare cash to pay fees to access and maintain? If not, it would have needed government subsidies. Does the council have enough money to buy a luxury gym? Is it spending enough on policing, health services, social care, bin collection, education etc?

Did sport England put a bid in for Melwood? Did the council?

I can see your point of view. I just think it is sad that a building, facilities and pitches that could be put to fantastic use in a deprived area are being destroyed. Personally if we are going to have a sugar tax then something like this would be perfect to be funded by it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #47 on: August 2, 2019, 04:10:26 pm »
Mixed emotions for me. Whilst social housing is preferable to private housing. I think it is a crying shame that world class sporting facilities are being destroyed. Surely this is exactly the kind of thing Sport England should be funding.

Maybe if it was in Salford.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #48 on: August 2, 2019, 04:12:40 pm »
I can see your point of view. I just think it is sad that a building, facilities and pitches that could be put to fantastic use in a deprived area are being destroyed. Personally if we are going to have a sugar tax then something like this would be perfect to be funded by it.

It is very sad, it would be fantastic for it to be used by the community. Unfortunately the c*nts in charge are spending billions on Brexit instead of northern communities.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #49 on: August 2, 2019, 07:01:41 pm »
Maybe if it was in Salford.

Or in a number of other parts of Liverpool. I never thought West Derby was that deprived but I haven't been up there for a couple of years, maybe it's gone to the dogs.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50 on: August 2, 2019, 07:10:44 pm »
It would be like asking for one of McClaren’s old racing cars to take the kids to school and do the weekly shop.

Does the car come with an umbrella?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 2, 2019, 09:02:08 pm »
I don’t know if the sale of the land will cover the cost of Kirby but it will offset it.
think it covers around 20% of the cost

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 2, 2019, 10:23:37 pm »
Pretty normal reaction from any homeowners around the world. No one wants extra neighbors, less space, more traffic etc.  In this case a neighborhood park, gym and pool paid for by the city would be very appealing, and would make their surrounding home values go up?

Why is home values increasing a good thing? It only helps people with multiple properties.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 2, 2019, 10:25:31 pm »
think it covers around 20% of the cost

That’s 20% of the whole development not just the land. It will cover a larger proportion of the land cost.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 2, 2019, 10:26:56 pm »

Have you seen the latest local council budget cuts? Lucky the bins are still collected.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 2, 2019, 10:32:26 pm »
Why is home values increasing a good thing? It only helps people with multiple properties.
to be fair if there is a significant drop then it will push some of them into negative equity which could prevent them with things like taking a better job etc?

That’s 20% of the whole development not just the land. It will cover a larger proportion of the land cost.
true, that’s where you’d expect this to go directly to

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #56 on: August 3, 2019, 05:00:22 pm »
Have you seen the latest local council budget cuts? Lucky the bins are still collected.

I don't see the problem just do what everyone in Football does and demand more money.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #57 on: August 4, 2019, 12:49:44 pm »
I don't see the problem just do what everyone in Football does and demand more money.

Eh? Council demand more money from who, the gov't? Residents? Very confused by this maybe I'm misreading.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #58 on: August 5, 2019, 10:57:33 am »
Any idea how much we sold the land for ??

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 5, 2019, 11:06:54 am »
£10million I heard.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60 on: August 5, 2019, 11:10:29 am »
Any idea how much we sold the land for ??

Going off the post above by Lush is the best medicine... £10m if it's covering roughly 20% of Kirkby.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #61 on: August 5, 2019, 11:56:24 am »
Cheers

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 5, 2019, 12:01:02 pm »
Going off the post above by Lush is the best medicine... £10m if it's covering roughly 20% of Kirkby.
Selling Wilson and Kent should cover nearly the rest of the bill  ;)