Author Topic: Melwood Buyers Announced  (Read 6663 times)

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
Melwood Buyers Announced
« on: August 1, 2019, 08:04:46 pm »
Couldn't find a thread anywhere about this....if it does exist and I have missed it, apologies...I am sure the moderation team will move/merge or whatever if needs be.

Club has today announced who they are selling to.

No mention of sale price - sold to housing association.

Protests outside Melwood tonight.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-complete-sale-melwood-training-16681605

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-face-protest-outside-16684655

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Melwood Buyers Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2019, 08:09:58 pm »
Affordable housing sounds like a great way to use the land, especially as some will be sheltered housing. As for the protests, is Melwood used by the public or is there a significant number of people who want to use the facilities once Liverpool leave?

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2019, 08:17:22 pm »
The protests seems to centre around people wanting the site to be used for community services rather than putting more people to live in an already crowded and under resourced area.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2019, 08:43:02 pm »
Shankly Drive
Paisley Park
Lean Place

To name but a few

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2019, 08:47:12 pm »
The protests seems to centre around people wanting the site to be used for community services rather than putting more people to live in an already crowded and under resourced area.
who do they expect to pay for the upkeep of those facilities, they aren’t exactly the level of a pure gym it’ll be high quality stuff there that can’t be moved, are they expecting free access to use those facilities when lfc are gone or ridiculously cheap access?

Fair enough if it’s overcrowded at the moment and they don’t want more houses (even if it does seem a bit nimbyish) but what were they expecting to happen there? Although you’d hope the developers at least leave a decent amount of green space for the kids to play on

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2019, 08:51:02 pm »
Affordable housing sounds like a great way to use the land, especially as some will be sheltered housing. As for the protests, is Melwood used by the public or is there a significant number of people who want to use the facilities once Liverpool leave?

The club are going to trademark the term Melwood™.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2019, 08:52:06 pm »
who do they expect to pay for the upkeep of those facilities, they aren’t exactly the level of a pure gym it’ll be high quality stuff there that can’t be moved, are they expecting free access to use those facilities when lfc are gone or ridiculously cheap access?

Fair enough if it’s overcrowded at the moment and they don’t want more houses (even if it does seem a bit nimbyish) but what were they expecting to happen there? Although you’d hope the developers at least leave a decent amount of green space for the kids to play on

I suppose we'd need to see the full breakdown of the local residents fears....as well as some suggestions about what people believe the site could house and how it all could work.

I assume these things are in place - i know it has been widely reported that some of the local councillors have been vocal in their opposition to the housing scheme.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2019, 08:57:44 pm »

They want a free ride and get the club to foot the bill

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2019, 09:00:34 pm »

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2019, 09:30:14 pm »
Pretty normal reaction from any homeowners around the world. No one wants extra neighbors, less space, more traffic etc.  In this case a neighborhood park, gym and pool paid for by the city would be very appealing, and would make their surrounding home values go up?
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2019, 09:32:14 pm »
Pretty normal reaction from any homeowners around the world. No one wants extra neighbors, less space, more traffic etc.  In this case a neighborhood park, gym and pool paid for by the city would be very appealing, and would make their surrounding home values go up?
see the less traffic and neighbours I understand, but expecting to have access to world class fitness facilities for nothing or next to nothing is taking the piss big time, had they asked to keep the playing fields and some kind of council gym/community centre be developed on the site with a relatively small number of houses being built they’d have more sympathy but this looks a bit like trying to get something for sod all and the councillors trying to ensure votes for re-election

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2019, 09:39:34 pm »
see the less traffic and neighbours I understand, but expecting to have access to world class fitness facilities for nothing or next to nothing is taking the piss big time, had they asked to keep the playing fields and some kind of council gym/community centre be developed on the site with a relatively small number of houses being built they’d have more sympathy but this looks a bit like trying to get something for sod all and the councillors trying to ensure votes for re-election
What's a few more in taxes eh?  ;)  and everyone is all for extra/new housing for those in need ( but just not next to my house  ;))
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2019, 09:44:00 pm »
FSG are really capitalist pigs. They should have thought about this when they decided to up and ditch Melwood.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2019, 09:47:52 pm »

NIMBY

I have a lot more sympathy for it when talking about low to lower middle income people, but unless the city is going to buy the land from the club and the maintain the facilities, it is unreasonable to expect the club to do it.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2019, 10:14:35 pm »
FSG are really capitalist pigs. They should have thought about this when they decided to up and ditch Melwood.

Is this a woosh?

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2019, 10:25:13 pm »
Would have been nice for it to be local footy fields for the kids and Sunday League lads to play on. But paid for by who when there's no money to sort out more important shit like social services and the NHS.

So affordable housing? Not the worst option considering the housing issue that exists at the moment.

Unless it gets bought by a bunch of BTL landlords, scum of the earth.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #16 on: August 1, 2019, 11:15:48 pm »

If they'd left it as a training centre I'm sure someone would have come out asking why it wasn't being turned into affordable housing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2019, 11:18:18 pm »

The protestors seem to want the land and all the facilities to be given away for nothing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2019, 11:19:40 pm »
If they'd left it as a training centre I'm sure someone would have come out asking why it wasn't being turned into affordable housing.

Can't see what's wrong with more affordable housing, having a number of young relatives struggling to get housing

Or maybe the current residents are concerned that any new residents in affordable housing don't meet their standards?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #19 on: August 1, 2019, 11:31:27 pm »
There are clowns on the Echo website saying Liverpool should have given the place to the local community.  :o

As far as I'm aware, LFC is not a registered charity. Mention the fact Everton sold off Bellefield for luxury housing and they suddenly go quiet, though.  :-X
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 1, 2019, 11:53:46 pm »
There are clowns on the Echo website saying Liverpool should have given the place to the local community.  :o

As far as I'm aware, LFC is not a registered charity. Mention the fact Everton sold off Bellefield for luxury housing and they suddenly go quiet, though.  :-X

Bellway to build on Bellefield

10 Nov 2010, 09:31   

Bellway has acquired ten acres from Everton FC at the club's former training ground in Liverpool for a 74-unit housing development.

A planning application for the site off Sandforth Road in West Derby received approval from Liverpool City Council on Tuesday, two years after an initial application was rejected.

Bellway is understood to have paid around £8m for the land.

Robert Elstone, chief executive of Everton FC, said: "It has been a long, arduous and, at times, very difficult process but we are absolutely delighted to have finally won planning approval for the Bellefield site.

"We have always believed that high-quality housing represented the right way forwards for the site.

"Although there was some opposition to the scheme, it is important to remember that many West Derby residents were in favour of our plans."

Bellefield was home to Everton's first team squad from 1946 to 2007 when the club moved to a new base at Finch Farm in Halewood.

A council spokesman said: "Planning permission was granted for this scheme because it will help to address the need for larger, higher value homes in the area and meet the council's overall objective of delivering large, family homes across the city."

Bellway plans to start on site in early 2011.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/bellway-to-build-on-bellefield/
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 2, 2019, 12:13:02 am »

Can't see what's wrong with more affordable housing, having a number of young relatives struggling to get housing

Or maybe the current residents are concerned that any new residents in affordable housing don't meet their standards?
the new residents won’t have plunge pools they can use

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #22 on: August 2, 2019, 12:15:55 am »
Shankly Drive
Paisley Park
Lean Place

To name but a few

Sweat Box Close.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2019, 12:21:44 am »
Bellway to build on Bellefield

10 Nov 2010, 09:31   

Bellway has acquired ten acres from Everton FC at the club's former training ground in Liverpool for a 74-unit housing development.

A planning application for the site off Sandforth Road in West Derby received approval from Liverpool City Council on Tuesday, two years after an initial application was rejected.

Bellway is understood to have paid around £8m for the land.

Robert Elstone, chief executive of Everton FC, said: "It has been a long, arduous and, at times, very difficult process but we are absolutely delighted to have finally won planning approval for the Bellefield site.

"We have always believed that high-quality housing represented the right way forwards for the site.

"Although there was some opposition to the scheme, it is important to remember that many West Derby residents were in favour of our plans."

Bellefield was home to Everton's first team squad from 1946 to 2007 when the club moved to a new base at Finch Farm in Halewood.

A council spokesman said: "Planning permission was granted for this scheme because it will help to address the need for larger, higher value homes in the area and meet the council's overall objective of delivering large, family homes across the city."

Bellway plans to start on site in early 2011.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/bellway-to-build-on-bellefield/

Thanks for that. I've been looking for an article that quoted how much Everton were paid for the land.  :thumbup
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #24 on: August 2, 2019, 12:29:34 am »
The protestors seem to want the land and all the facilities to be given away for nothing.

Club damned if they do and damned if they don't

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 2, 2019, 01:27:15 am »
Think it’s a case of residents worrying their houses will go down in price, which they probably will do, so understand that, but LFC didn’t have many choices really.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 2, 2019, 01:47:35 am »
The complaints I've seen have been about light/air pollution and existing infrastructure already being strained without more houses coming in.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 2, 2019, 02:23:24 am »
Shankly Drive
Paisley Park
Lean Place

To name but a few

Millie's Manor

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 2, 2019, 03:38:24 am »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 2, 2019, 06:07:36 am »
Millie's Manor

Bellamy Drive
Baros Cul-de-sac
Stevie Highway
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 2, 2019, 07:33:32 am »
Bellamy Drive
Baros Cul-de-sac
Stevie Highway

Corner taken quickly ORIGIIIIIAAAAAHHHHHHHH Corner
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #31 on: August 2, 2019, 07:49:51 am »

It is just nimbyism.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 2, 2019, 07:55:00 am »

From what I've heard the protests are related to the price of the existing houses dropping if the club leave the area.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 2, 2019, 08:59:27 am »
All the noise online is about services not coping and residents imagining they'd have a free world class training facility as their playground, rather than house values dropping.

Torus is a charitable, not-for-profit housing trust with 1,600 homes in the West Derby area.

The group amalgamated with Liverpool Mutual Homes earlier this year and manages around 40,000 social homes across the North West.

So proud of the club for this choice.

Stress on services is a national issue and it won't get any better by denying homes to those in need.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #34 on: August 2, 2019, 09:04:06 am »
Sweat Box Close.
Hodgson cul de sac
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 2, 2019, 09:34:07 am »
I forget the details now. Is the sale of Melwood directly funding the expansion of the Academy complex? Or to phrase it another way - is Melwood being sold because it would become redundant or because it has to be sold in order to make the Academy expansion possible?
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 09:40:14 am by kellan »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #36 on: August 2, 2019, 12:21:33 pm »
Mixed emotions for me. Whilst social housing is preferable to private housing. I think it is a crying shame that world class sporting facilities are being destroyed. Surely this is exactly the kind of thing Sport England should be funding.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 2, 2019, 12:32:38 pm »
Mixed emotions for me. Whilst social housing is preferable to private housing. I think it is a crying shame that world class sporting facilities are being destroyed. Surely this is exactly the kind of thing Sport England should be funding.

It’s basically a big shed. The world class facilities are moving to Kirby. It’s world class because the club spend a fortune on running costs, maintenance and staff. 

Who would find the staffing and running costs if it was transferred to the local community?

Aren’t the Bill Shankly pitches just down the road? How are they being looked after?

« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 12:36:42 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 2, 2019, 12:38:26 pm »
I forget the details now. Is the sale of Melwood directly funding the expansion of the Academy complex? Or to phrase it another way - is Melwood being sold because it would become redundant or because it has to be sold in order to make the Academy expansion possible?

I don’t know if the sale of the land will cover the cost of Kirby but it will offset it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 2, 2019, 12:46:07 pm »

Sport England aren't in a position to spend £10 million on purchasing a site that will very quickly be unsustainable. In fact, Sport England do not own any sporting assets nor do they have the resources to do so.

The FA would be the most likely candidate, especially given their current funding direction and facility aspirations. Again though, they wouldn't have any need for anything at the site other than the football pitches and indoor football space (and changing rooms) so a lot of what makes the site unique wouldn't be kept anyway. They have also pumped a fair bit of money into Liverpool recently.

Finally, neither Sport England nor the FA could be seen as giving Liverpool FC £10 million. That would be a major conflict of interests.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 12:49:16 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.