Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1014713 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread
« Reply #12520 on: January 12, 2020, 11:19:35 am »
0% beer? Nah - tried that......

The drinks I turned to when I went on a 90 day dry challenge were green tea (organic - don't buy the shite from people like Liptons in bags from the supermarket - buy loose leaf from proper shops!) and my fave mocktail was a pint glass half filled with carbonated spring water and topped up with coconut water with the juice of a whole fresh lime squeezed in. Fucking lush - and great for after bike riding or running.

Do you sieve out the leaves before drinking the tea or swallow them with the tea? I've followed your recommendation and switched from bags to organic loose leaf - by far a better taste - but the leaves look edible, so not sure what to do?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12521 on: January 13, 2020, 05:00:53 pm »
Do you sieve out the leaves before drinking the tea or swallow them with the tea? I've followed your recommendation and switched from bags to organic loose leaf - by far a better taste - but the leaves look edible, so not sure what to do?

tea leaves are not pleasant. when i was younger everyone had a little tea sieve in their kitchen to capture the loose tea when you poured it in a cup

tea bags mean you don't need to do that anymore and the bag acts as the sieve

https://www.google.com/search?q=tea+sieve&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS877US877&sxsrf=ACYBGNSX-_HVbigCTuQYcDbo8noXz4jNVw:1578934762518&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnspKthoHnAhXmUN8KHcXXBIYQ_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=ReX6SCXJ8BZrcM:

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #12522 on: January 13, 2020, 06:49:07 pm »
Too bitter (only Evertonians eat tea leaves).

Green tea should be made with water at c80 deg C, not completely boiling, and left to steep for 5 to 10 mins depending on taste.

I use one of those round metal tea leaf holders that break apart like two hemispheres. That way they can remain in the pot for as long as needed. When ready, just take the holder out and enjoy your tea.

Big tip - leave the leaves to dry out then it's MUCH easier to clean the metal holder afterwards :D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12523 on: January 13, 2020, 10:18:50 pm »
Too bitter (only Evertonians eat tea leaves).

Green tea should be made with water at c80 deg C, not completely boiling, and left to steep for 5 to 10 mins depending on taste.

I use one of those round metal tea leaf holders that break apart like two hemispheres. That way they can remain in the pot for as long as needed. When ready, just take the holder out and enjoy your tea.

Big tip - leave the leaves to dry out then it's MUCH easier to clean the metal holder afterwards :D

Cheers bud. Our kid bought me a chinese tea set one christmas so I've got a pot and two chinese cups at work now :D I've just ordered a set of those tea leaf holders from amazon
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:21:07 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12524 on: January 14, 2020, 06:17:56 am »
Oh my god I broke the thread :lmao

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12525 on: January 14, 2020, 07:51:44 am »
Oh my god I broke the thread :lmao

:lmao

I can bring it back on track, her Ma told the wifes sister not to take the kids around on Christmas Day as she was spending the whole day in bed as she had nothing to do - the arl twat had turned down an invite to spend Xmas day with us all. Christmas Day, we are in the pub and guess who walks in? Rather drink with some sad c*nts she knows from the pub than see her 4 grandchildren and try and build bridges with her Daughter (my wife). Fuck her the arl c*nt.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12526 on: January 15, 2020, 12:45:13 am »
I haven't posted in here before but I've done a fair bit of reading.  I don't drink but I think there are a lot of parallels (outside the physical addiction aspects) with a lot of other problems people experience and there have been some great posts in here - so thanks.

Day 3 passed successfully yesterday. Went to bed at midnight and slept through until the alarm went off at 6 which I never do. Feel so well and full of energy today. Did my 12 mile cycle in to work at full speed today and loved it. Instead of listening to the radio in a hungover state, I stuck on the full album of Whats the Story Morning Glory and sang along as I was riding in. To quote Oasis from that album, hello, it's good to be back.

Gonna have a positive day today  :wave

Just popped into say I hope it's still going well for you mate.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12527 on: January 15, 2020, 08:00:02 am »
"If you're an alcoholic, the only decision you get to make is the first."

If you're a problem drinker then that is probably true. If you're a chronic alcoholic, then it isn't. Here's a snippet from AA that sums up and explains what happened to Carl and why he died

"At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail. This tragic situation has already arrived in practically every case long before it is suspected. The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defence against the first drink. The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how! "When this sort of thinking is fully established in an individual with alcoholic tendencies, he has probably placed himself beyond human aid, and unless locked up, may die or go permanently insane. However there is a solution"
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12528 on: January 29, 2020, 10:02:55 am »
Good article on the BBC today. The one phrase I liked is at the end. It talks about living an authentic life without booze. You actually get to live your own life without excuses for decisions made while boozing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/82d08622-2557-4f68-a611-4d1b0ac6a4ea

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12529 on: January 30, 2020, 11:28:06 pm »
Question to people that knows more than me. When your brain/patterns whatever signals to you that today is a good day to drink and hard.. what drives it and how can you fight it ? thanks for a good thread
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #12530 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:39 pm »
Question to people that knows more than me. When your brain/patterns whatever signals to you that today is a good day to drink and hard.. what drives it and how can you fight it ? thanks for a good thread

How do you mean mate? Do you mean like when you've had a long day at work on a Friday and your brain is telling you that it's a good chance to go and treat yourself (eg have a few)? I know that can be a trigger for some people. I've found substituting other 'rewards' can help. When I got my job offer the other day I was well chuffed and part of my brain tried to suggest I should celebrate with a few beers - I decided to get a takeaway instead.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12531 on: January 31, 2020, 08:00:06 pm »

Ill try and answer

for me there were two triggers. One was happy social eg going out with friends and being the one to not drink. This was hard and for me I simply didn't go out.

other trigger for me was a shit day at work. I would always make an excuse to myself and buy booze on the way home. after you go through the first phase of quitting booze and I mean like the first few months of zero intake, it became a point of pride to me, that work could throw at me whatever it could and I could still avoid booze and not just slip into making excuses and find a reason to drink

reading the above posts you can see that boredom is an issue. You have to find something. exercise is obvious, some hobby is another, academic work another, religion another, attending loads of AA meetings is another

initially I feel you just have to quit for several months before you can face the harder triggers long term

but basically its one day at a time for quite a while

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12532 on: April 2, 2020, 10:07:12 pm »
so how are people doing ? bit shit just staying at home and no normal routine etc but cant really complain when people are dying and people losing their loved ones

in front of the tv/pc and drinking is probably not a long term strategy..

trying to get out for some walks and that is good, but a couple of more weeks gonna be challenging..

take care
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12533 on: April 3, 2020, 03:14:18 am »
I thought about this thread the other day. Biggest enemy of alcoholics is boredom. I hope everyone is finding a safe route for themselves amongst the boredom of lockdown.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12534 on: April 27, 2020, 08:29:43 am »
I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in here, but if I figured if it encourages someone or someone they know to seek help then it will be worth it

I woke this morning to a text from a friend of mine. One of our mutual friends was found dead yesterday. He had been drinking heavily for a number of years. He lived alone and would often withdraw from going out for weeks at a time. I took him for lunch a few weeks back and it was clear his mental health was suffering. I tried telling him that unless he changed for the better then it was only a matter of time before his body would give up. I offered to take him to AA. He agreed he would go but then reverted to drinking again and not answering his phone or front door. When I heard the news this morning my immediate reaction to myself was "why didn't you do more? You knew this was going to happen!"

Along with the sorrow of his loss, I can't help but feel an element of guilt that I didn't do more. I probably should have done more. And so if anyone reading this is concerned about a friend/family member/neighbour/whoever I urge you to act and get them the help that they need. Don't assume that someone else will. He rang me 2 weeks ago. He seemed fine on the phone. He was laughing and joking and in high spirits. Little did we know he had less than a fortnight to go. Another needless loss to this bastard fucking disease :(
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12535 on: April 27, 2020, 08:37:36 am »
Sorry to read that Billy. Don’t beat yourself up about it though, it’s clear from reading this thread over the years that you have always gone above and beyond and always try to help others in this situation.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12536 on: April 27, 2020, 08:54:27 am »
Billy that is heartbreaking, RIP to your mate.

I'll echo what Nick said, you've always been one of the first to help people here over the years. Probably saved a few lives because of it. You can't be there for everyone, all the time but it does sound like you gave your mate some hope that he might beat the disease in his final weeks, more than anyone else would.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12537 on: April 27, 2020, 09:01:36 am »
Billy, you have undoubtedly saved lives before. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Your immediate thought of could you have done more is natural. You know the answer though. I'm glad you posted it though - it's part of the process.......

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #12538 on: April 27, 2020, 10:38:16 am »
Billy, sorry to hear this sad news.

You've always been on here helping people, but some people just don't or can't be helped. I lost a good friend four years ago to the drink. His wife had died suddenly and he just lost the will to live, I think.

We took him to his doctors, went round to his regularly, talked often, but in the end his mind was set. I, too, asked myself what more could have been done, don't let it consume you, I doubt anyone on here would think you didn't do what you could.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12539 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:56 pm »
Hi Billy.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Condolences to all who knew and loved him.

To be honest, Billy, within the grief I think its natural to wonder if you did enough. I think that's a thought that crosses so many people's minds when they lose someone. It's often a very common part of the grieving process.

I know from coming into this thread over a period of time that you are a helper, a caring person, a giver. You've helped educate me on this subject before. You've helped me get more understanding and perspective on it. This has been valuable to me and I thank you for that. It's clear that you've helped a lot of people here too.

It's natural for you to feel raw at the moment and to also ask yourself if you could have done more, but th facts are that you, yourself, are very aware of the fact that you can show a horse where the water is. You can even lead him to it but, ultimately, only the horse can decide whether or not to drink.

You offered your help and your support like the fantastic human being you are. You can't kidnap people and force them to change. I know this, and you most certainly know it too.

You did do enough, Billy. But as we all know in the complex world of the human mind, human emotional and psychological problems, even doing that and going way beyond the call of duty doesn't always result in the outcome we would have liked. That's sad, it's tragic, but it's true.

Basically, it's natural to question yourself. It shows you care. But try not to cross the line where you beat yourself up and torture yourself over it.

RIP Billy's friend.

Take care Billy. You've lost a friend, but you did what you could. No one could ask for more from you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:25:01 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12540 on: April 27, 2020, 04:57:33 pm »
Billy, it’s been almost five years since I stopped drinking. From the brink of divorce, losing everything and who knows what worse than that, I’m now happier than ever and me and my wife had a second boy just over a year ago. Without doubt your posts (along with many others) helped significantly when I was trying to stop. So I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say you played your part in turning my life around and I’ll forever be grateful for you (and this thread in general). So don’t beat yourself up too much, unfortunately you can’t help everyone, especially as is so common with alcohol, when they don’t want your help.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12541 on: April 27, 2020, 05:52:50 pm »
Terrible news Billy.

It is a very sad things when it seems its start to go downhill with someone it is both the body in bad shape and clearly some serious depression as well. Carl seemed the same. He took advice and did change but could never seem to stick to it.

I would imagine you helped him in some way and in his head he knew that at least someone cared enough to call him a couple of weeks ago.

Short of knocking the door in, there is not much that we can do when a mature adult has pretty much given up trying.

You have genuinely helped a lot of people.  Me included.

Thanks for everything that you do.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12542 on: April 27, 2020, 07:08:48 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it greatly. I suppose its the shock of it that makes you question if you could have done more  :-\

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #12543 on: May 14, 2020, 01:53:41 pm »
I'm a bit late here but my sincere condolences, Billy. I hope he's in a better place now.

I hope you're all doing good in this period of time.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12544 on: August 31, 2020, 06:35:20 pm »
Happy Birthday up there, Carl. I hope you're annoying the fuck out of all the passed Man. U, Manchester City and CSKA London fans today!!  :scarf

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12545 on: August 31, 2020, 07:16:28 pm »
Happy Birthday up there, Carl. I hope you're annoying the fuck out of all the passed Man. U, Manchester City and CSKA London fans today!!  :scarf
Just came in here to extend similar sentiments.

Turn the fuckin music up, ya bad bellend :wave

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12546 on: August 31, 2020, 07:21:27 pm »

Made them all watch the documentaries on us.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12547 on: December 24, 2020, 10:18:29 am »
Just said I'd pop in to say merry Christmas to all the regulars of the thread.

It's strange that even after being sober for as long as I have, I still get urges to get absolutely blotto at Christmas

So far so good though. Hope you're all safe and keeping well!

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12548 on: December 24, 2020, 12:29:52 pm »
Hi everyone. I thought about this thread recently as well. It is weird but I also get that feeling. I really want to go out and buy a bottle of vodka and drink most of it in one sitting on my own and try to get the 'want to just a lose a day to booze' feeling out of my head. Things have changed for me so much since I first started posting in this thread but that self destructive tendency still sits there in the back of my mind, thankfully a long way back these days.

I wish every one well and I hope we can get through Christmas happy and safe.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12549 on: December 24, 2020, 01:00:46 pm »
Hi all, hope you're well. 8 avoid most of the usual Xmas threads or sites. Fuckin hate this time of year, but that's me.

Just sharing one of the ways that I tend to stay sober during these times and that's volunteering to be the designated driver. My sense of responsibility stops me having even one tipple then.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #12550 on: December 24, 2020, 04:51:14 pm »
Xmas is the shittiest time of the year for a.lot of people and that's without a pandemic.

Hope you're all well and sending prayers (and positive energy) to each and every one of you! x

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12551 on: January 31, 2021, 01:08:16 pm »
How are youse all doing?

Dry January is almost over........for those doing it.

Some of you, especially Billy the Kid, might remember me proudly announcing I'd realised I was hitting it too hard back in Jan 2018 and pledged to have a dry month - my birthday's on Jan 1st so I always had an issue with Dry January, see, so I thought I was doing something boss.

Well, Billy quite rightly called me out on going for the shortest month and said he wouldn't be impressed with anything less than three months..........bastard.........so I took him up on it - which wasn't easy at times - but I persisted and did it. Changed many things in my life......

I've had some more recent life upheavals, some heavy emotional shit to deal with and have had to face down some demons again, some new, others the old familiars I'd thought I'd dealt with - so this year I've decided I need a clear head again and, having missed Dry January, have decided to repeat Billy the Kid's Three Month Challenge.

I hope that, one day, I will never feel the urge to have a drink again - I'd like to reach a point where I not only don't want one but actively recoil at the thought. Maybe it'll be this year, who knows?

One thing is for sure - from May 2018 until last Xmas, I had a much better, healthier, 'responsible' relationship with booze - but I could feel it slowly slipping away - and putting on 5kgs over xmas/new year (okay, the gyms were shut but still I'm not totally stupid, I know what I was doing.........!) reminded me of the benefits of going zero.

If anyone's interested in joining me, I'm happy to go into an Accountability Buddy arrangement, with regular check-ins and support if either is struggling.

Love and light, my friends.

(In loving memory of that mad twat Carl.)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12552 on: January 31, 2021, 01:13:45 pm »
Good luck to you... Great idea
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12553 on: February 3, 2021, 09:28:04 am »
How are youse all doing?

Dry January is almost over........for those doing it.

Some of you, especially Billy the Kid, might remember me proudly announcing I'd realised I was hitting it too hard back in Jan 2018 and pledged to have a dry month - my birthday's on Jan 1st so I always had an issue with Dry January, see, so I thought I was doing something boss.

Well, Billy quite rightly called me out on going for the shortest month and said he wouldn't be impressed with anything less than three months..........bastard.........so I took him up on it - which wasn't easy at times - but I persisted and did it. Changed many things in my life......

I've had some more recent life upheavals, some heavy emotional shit to deal with and have had to face down some demons again, some new, others the old familiars I'd thought I'd dealt with - so this year I've decided I need a clear head again and, having missed Dry January, have decided to repeat Billy the Kid's Three Month Challenge.

I hope that, one day, I will never feel the urge to have a drink again - I'd like to reach a point where I not only don't want one but actively recoil at the thought. Maybe it'll be this year, who knows?

One thing is for sure - from May 2018 until last Xmas, I had a much better, healthier, 'responsible' relationship with booze - but I could feel it slowly slipping away - and putting on 5kgs over xmas/new year (okay, the gyms were shut but still I'm not totally stupid, I know what I was doing.........!) reminded me of the benefits of going zero.

If anyone's interested in joining me, I'm happy to go into an Accountability Buddy arrangement, with regular check-ins and support if either is struggling.

Love and light, my friends.

(In loving memory of that mad twat Carl.)

Nigh swan, Jim! Fingers crossed here... :scarf

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12554 on: February 8, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »
That's great to hear Jim. Good on you. Keep us posted on your progress!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12555 on: February 8, 2021, 08:17:53 pm »
That's great to hear Jim. Good on you. Keep us posted on your progress!
Thanks Billy!

I knew something was up when I was getting through a bottle of Spiced Rum every 2 days......slippery slope that. Also, when the gym re-opened, I was horrified to see I'd put on 7kgs over xmas/new year. Fuck THAT!!  ::)

Just posted this on FB:

"Week 1 of the 3 month teetotal challenge, plus 1 day a week in Feb as a vegan.

Success on both fronts!

The food thing - it's surprisingly good - have found a block of 'fake' cheddar, as good as any ordinary one, which is great (grate! haha!) and also a fake cheese spread which is better than Philadelphia and not much more expensive 🙂

As for the zero alcohol thing, I had a couple of reminders of how times will test me on that one - watching my team lose at football twice when sober is, well, sobering.......also, other trigger points, like being on me tod on a Friday night when in the past I'd be on the lash with colleagues and friends.......

How to get past these? Self-discipline? Not always - just self-love and reminding myself why I'm doing it....

Top Tip - look in the mirror in your birthday suit and see the wobbly bits you're working hard at losing cos you want to be healthier and fitter 🤔🤣

Bye, bye love handles and cake belly! ❣

Week 2 starts tomorrow. 83 days to go."

Offline unclebob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • NEVER buy the s*n
« Reply #12556 on: February 8, 2021, 10:02:17 pm »
Good on you Jim, don't get on here much these days but I pop in now and again. I sure like a lot of the lads on here past and present we know how hard that it can be. Good on you for sticking at it.
If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #12557 on: February 15, 2021, 04:33:28 pm »
How to get past these? Self-discipline? Not always - just self-love and reminding myself why I'm doing it....

Yeah, I always find having a wank distracts me from my troubles, too.

;)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12558 on: February 15, 2021, 10:16:12 pm »

Yeah, I always find having a wank distracts me from my troubles, too.

;)

Haha you loon! Lie down on your arm for an hour, then do it - feels like someone else then.........

Week Two - feeling great! I remember last time I did this having bad cravings at first - not getting them this time - I guess my lifestyle and circumstances are much better (in relative terms, not material ones - which is also significant - meaning I've let go of a lot previous attachments to things and stuff.........fuck, I'm either getting old or going almost full zen.............om mani padme hum <3 )

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12559 on: February 15, 2021, 11:20:00 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it greatly. I suppose its the shock of it that makes you question if you could have done more  :-\

Really sorry to hear that and I've been in a similar situation.

You wish you could have 'said this' or 'done that' but really their mind is made up.

Sorry for your loss, but as people said don't blame yourself. Nothing you could have done other than what you tried to do..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.