Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 834212 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3000 on: February 7, 2018, 08:41:33 am »
There was an x-rated cinema on Clayton Square that later got converted into a church.  My mum took me in it a couple of times.

Your mum took you to an x-rated cinema? Was she trying to avoid 'the talk'?

;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3001 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:30 am »
Wouldn't have  expected to find 2 of these: Athol street ( the 1st one from Liverpool1207 on Twitter).

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3002 on: February 10, 2018, 12:23:11 pm »
Cracker pic's  :thumbup
Wonder if anyone ever asked him for fork handles?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3003 on: February 10, 2018, 04:42:43 pm »
Cracker pic's  :thumbup
Wonder if anyone ever asked him for fork handles?

If they did they probably got twatted with a spade
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3004 on: February 10, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »
If they did they probably got twatted with a spade
Hoe hoe hoe  :D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3005 on: February 10, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »
Goree '48 from Liverpool1207 on Twitter,

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3006 on: February 10, 2018, 11:29:05 pm »
Goree '48 from Liverpool1207 on Twitter,

When you look at the photographs of the Blitz devastation in Liverpool, alongside Rotterdam, Warsaw and countless other cities razed in the East, it's understandable why some of the older generation who lived throught that time found it difficult to offer much sympathy to the late war utter devastion visited on assorted German cities by Bomber Command.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3007 on: February 11, 2018, 08:53:05 am »
Great fotos TK.

A few contrasting preferences here..

Grifters..could actually be Boxers,the mini Grifter,the rear mudguard is throwing me.. ???

Chopper..

Hands down..loved this bike,the Chopper not even close.

Probably spent more time on this bus in my youth than any other.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:59:36 am by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3008 on: February 11, 2018, 09:10:00 am »
Couple more..

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3009 on: February 11, 2018, 09:41:11 am »
When you look at the photographs of the Blitz devastation in Liverpool, alongside Rotterdam, Warsaw and countless other cities razed in the East, it's understandable why some of the older generation who lived throught that time found it difficult to offer much sympathy to the late war utter devastion visited on assorted German cities by Bomber Command.
My late Dad who was on one the convoys that relieved Malta, being dive bombed by stuka's said the most frighting thing he experienced during the war was the 7 day blitz in Dingle, for various operational reasons it never received the attention it deserved but he said it was hell and really effected moral in the city, after the war he always had a respect for the Germans as opposed to the Nazis especially the seaman who went through the same on both sides and later in his life he loved going to Germany and loved seeing how well Germany rebuilt afterwards, I don't know if it was just my dad but it seemed many of that generation were quite open to Europe after their experiences.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3010 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:17 am »
My aunty Teresa, passed away about five years ago.

Up to the day she passed away, whenever there was a thunder storm, she would hide under the stairs cowering and shaking from the noise of the thunder.

She grew up in Shadwell Terrace, just off Great Howard Street, near the docks, during the war.

At that time, that street would of been virtually ground zero during the May Blitz.  Surrounded by the docks, warehousing, and train marshalling yards etc.

Only a couple of hundred yards from Nelson, Bramley Moore, and Wellington docks.

For those that know the area, Shadwell Terrace would of been in the side street between what is now the Tai Pan restaurant, and Awesome Walls climbing centre (St Albans RC church).

Corner of Great Howard Street, and Blackstone Street.

It must of been an horrendous experience living through that, as evidenced by my Aunty, who it effected all of her life.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:20:33 am by Bigly Red Richie »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3011 on: February 11, 2018, 11:25:00 am »
My aunty Teresa, passed away about five years ago.

Up to the day she passed away, whenever there was a thunder storm, she would hide under the stairs cowering and shaking from the noise of the thunder.

She grew up in Shadwell Terrace, just off Great Howard Street, near the docks, during the war.

At that time, that street would of been virtually ground zero during the May Blitz.  Surrounded by the docks, warehousing, and train marshalling yards etc.

For those that know the area, Shadwell Terrace would of been in the side street between what is now the Tai Pan restaurant, and Awesome Walls climbing centre (St Albans RC church).

Corner of Great Howard Street, and Blackstone Street.

It must of been an horrendous experience living through that, as evidenced by my Aunty, who it effected all of her life.

I'd never considered this before and it explains a lot. My Nan (Mums Mum) died in 1978 when I was 11, and the same as your Aunty, was terrified of thunder and used to hide wherever she could. When we were kids, she used to take us into the cloakroom in the hall when she was in ours. When there was a bad storm, my Mum used to get the bus to hers to check on her. They lived in Everton and I know that one time she had only got to the top of the street and a bomb destroyed the house they lived in and another time my Grandad, who served in the desert, had a near miss when the houses opposite got hit.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3012 on: February 11, 2018, 11:55:54 am »
The photo of the tenny's above. Is that a B&M shop with the yellow Chevette parked in front?

If so never realised they'd been around that long.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3013 on: February 11, 2018, 12:02:59 pm »
Looks like it says:   D&M    FOOD CENTRE.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #3014 on: February 11, 2018, 12:25:01 pm »
The photo of the tenny's above. Is that a B&M shop with the yellow Chevette parked in front?

Think that's Old Swan, where the Tesco is now.
Ye wha la.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3015 on: February 11, 2018, 02:37:12 pm »
Hoult's corner.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3016 on: February 11, 2018, 04:22:58 pm »

As Richie says, its D&M on the shop. B&M was formed in 1978, first shop they opened was in Blackpool. Pic is at least 1981, as that's a MkII Cavalier just behind the taxis, they came out in 1981.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3017 on: February 11, 2018, 04:57:15 pm »
Think that's Old Swan, where the Tesco is now.

Yep, St Oswalds House.......that's not B&M btw....although the first Home and Bargains shop was just around the corner circa that pic!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3018 on: February 11, 2018, 11:59:43 pm »
Another 1948 demolition job from Liverpool1207 on Twitter, looking toward Park Lane way.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3019 on: February 12, 2018, 12:06:08 am »
There was an x-rated cinema on Clayton Square that later got converted into a church.  My mum took me in it a couple of times.  I think it moved to Williamson Square as the Blessed Sacrament Shrine.

I deffo saw When the Wind Blows at the ABC, and also Greystoke.  The Star Trek films were also shown there I think.

The ABC opened in 1982 if I recall correctly. I remember they had an open day, showed snippets of The Thing and Blade Runner.

I love the pictures of the lads on the Grifters and Choppers. Especially the one lad with a ciggy hanging from his lips, he looks about 8!
We are Liverpool!

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3020 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:02 am »
The ABC opened in 1982 if I recall correctly. I remember they had an open day, showed snippets of The Thing and Blade Runner.

I love the pictures of the lads on the Grifters and Choppers. Especially the one lad with a ciggy hanging from his lips, he looks about 8!
Ha! Was just about to ask if that was a ciggy!  :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3021 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:23 am »
Another 1948 demolition job from Liverpool1207 on Twitter, looking toward Park Lane way.

The Old Customs House?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3022 on: February 12, 2018, 09:27:07 am »
The Old Customs House?
Yeh, that's the South Castle street facing part that still has the pillars standing.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3023 on: February 12, 2018, 01:40:10 pm »

It was earlier than that wasn't it? I'm sure I went there with my Mum and Dad to see The Towering Inferno in the mid to late 70's and they split up in 1981.

Ah, just looked on the Echo website, it opened in the 30's as the forum and was renamed the ABC in 1971.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3024 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:16 pm »
All 1978 bar the last here..

When playin out was playin out.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #3025 on: February 12, 2018, 08:49:33 pm »
Found this from here https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article6173031.ece

"Whit Monday congestion at the tunnel entrance in 1950. The queue of buses and coaches stretch up St John’s Lane." 

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3026 on: February 12, 2018, 11:55:50 pm »
And did you call it a "bombdy"? Oooh has anyone got any pics of the Cazzy?? Here's another of Park Road by the way......

That picture just up the road from my doctors growing up
Anyone use the same one?
Can remember one of te doctors was called Dr Rattoff
The waiting room had three coloured lights 1 2 and 3 which buzzed and lit up when the doctor in each room was ready for you
Long gone now that building
+6 ticket exchange

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3027 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:11 am »
That picture just up the road from my doctors growing up
Anyone use the same one?
Can remember one of te doctors was called Dr Rattoff
The waiting room had three coloured lights 1 2 and 3 which buzzed and lit up when the doctor in each room was ready for you
Long gone now that building

I went to a Jewish dentist at the top of Smithdown Road, near Lodge Lane.  Can't remember his name but he had a slight Eastern European accent so he was probably a refugee from the Nazis. However being a dentist, wearing a white jacket that fastened all the way to the top he was too close to Boris Karloff for my liking.

Dentists weren't too kid friendly in the 50s and no concessions were made. Mask and anaesthetic on, teeth out, on your way home.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3028 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
It was earlier than that wasn't it? I'm sure I went there with my Mum and Dad to see The Towering Inferno in the mid to late 70's and they split up in 1981.

Ah, just looked on the Echo website, it opened in the 30's as the forum and was renamed the ABC in 1971.

Jeez, my mind must be playing tricks with me. Maybe they re-opened/refurbished it then? I definitely remember going to some sort of open day there around '82.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3029 on: February 16, 2018, 01:40:55 pm »
Celebratory Libpool fans at Stamford Bridge in 1986....

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3030 on: February 16, 2018, 03:01:09 pm »
Cracker that P,i can't see myself on it tho.  :(

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3031 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:37 am »
The face on the lad in the bottom right hand corner who has just realised he's about to garotte himself on the barbed wire fencing.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3032 on: February 18, 2018, 12:38:55 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:26 pm »
This is interesting for anyone from the Aigburth area. The photographer would be positioned where Greens Walk is now looking up to the back of the houses in Ashlar Road with Victoria Road at the top. No idea what year.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:45:44 pm by John C »

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #3034 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:26 pm »

Great pic, mate. That's the Birkenhead side as well.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3035 on: February 20, 2018, 05:33:25 pm »

Some great looking cars in that pic, including what I believe is an Isetta Bubble Car

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3036 on: February 20, 2018, 08:19:55 pm »
Great pic, mate. That's the Birkenhead side as well.
The old cars and the busyness of it is great isn't it Terry.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:24 pm »
Some great looking cars in that pic, including what I believe is an Isetta Bubble Car
Gully could probably put a name arrow above each one :)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3038 on: February 20, 2018, 09:06:06 pm »
Gully could probably put a name arrow above each one :)

;D

I think Rob's correct with the Isetta.

There's a few others I think recognise, though I could be wrong with my guesses.

There's what looks like the nose of an MG Magnette bottom left.
A Wolseley 1500 in the centre behind the ticket booth.
An A40 just past the ticket booth.
A two tone Green and Cream Anglia to the left.
And just beyond that a Morris 1000 and the third car behind it, an early Mini.
A VW Beetle hidden behind front bottom booth and a Hillman Minx just beyond it.
Possibly an early Consul beyond that and possibly another Consul behind the A40.
The situpandbeg jalopies, there's a Pop in there but I'm unsure of the others.

I remember that scene and location quite well from back in '59 and into the early 60's when in the summer we as a family we would go to places like 'Betsy Coed' for a day out and picnic, though half the day seemed to be spent in traffic jams getting there and then back...

I think to the lower left of it all was the exit from the Liverpool side and from what I remember it was just a huge cobbled expanse so there was almost always a Policeman standing on one of those strange black and white pedestals in the middle of it directing traffic with his white gloves as there were no traffic lights so chaos would ensue without him, a sort of free for all.

All exciting as a kid, a foreign land...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3039 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:14 pm »
Brilliant mate :)