Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399225 times)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2400 on: January 8, 2019, 04:11:47 pm »
I think the only way Man City don’t reach 97-98 points is if they don’t have to. Like if we tank in the 2nd half of the season.

We'll see. They definitely look more vulnerable than last season. If we can beat Brighton then we extend to 7 points again and City have to wait until Monday to play Wolves. If they drop points in the next two or three games and we don't, I think they'll do it a bit more often. Right now it's about who can regroup, focus and win the most on the trot. Think the first to blink is under real, real pressure.

Brighton will not be an easy game. They have a very good home record. That said, I think I've got a bit of a feel for our group of lads, I reckon they're pissed off, motivated and fucking desperate to win. Which will hopefully mean Brighton are in for a hell of a game.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2401 on: January 8, 2019, 04:18:07 pm »
I think the only way Man City don’t reach 97-98 points is if they don’t have to. Like if we tank in the 2nd half of the season.

I would be shocked if Man City only drop 3/4 points in the rest of the season. Yes it's true that they have already played us and we could have been one of the teams to take points off of them, but they will drop points elsewhere too. They've already dropped 13 points at just past the halfway point after all. It would be implausible for them to drop so few, especially since, as seems likely, Pep will be under pressure to go far in the CL.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2402 on: January 8, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »
City need 2.76/2.82 points per game to reach 97/98 points. They've averaged 2.38 so far this season, they averaged 2.41 in the last 17 of last season (so 2.4 over their last 38 league games); 2.63 over the whole of last season.

They averaged 2.81 over the first 21 games last season. That's the level they need to rediscover, now, to reach 97/98 points. They're not playing at that level; they haven't been, consistently, since the end of 2017.

And when push comes to shove in their hectic schedule, the owners and manager's priority is the CL.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2403 on: January 8, 2019, 04:30:24 pm »
After 21 games last season, City had 59 points (2 draws against Everton and Palace I think).

They got 41 points in their last 17 games -W13 D2 L2.

I think if we can replicate their points tally from the last 17 games from last season then we should have enough. That would put us on W30 D5 L3 and 95 points.

City would need to win at least 14 games out of 17 to be level on points with us. If we get to 95 points and they beat us then fair fucks to them.

I personally don't see both teams getting +95 points with the ramping up of domestic cup and CL commitments.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2404 on: January 8, 2019, 04:32:51 pm »
Pep's teams are often great front-runners so it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to having to chase us. It isn't in his hands anymore and that can mess with you. Pep lost his rag last Thursday when his team were 2-1 up, how is he going to react when his team are 1-0 down away at a side fighting for their lives, perhaps also knowing that we won earlier in the day or the day before (I'm not sure how the fixtures go but I'm sure that scenario is possible at some point).

Should we beat Brighton on Saturday, City don't play until Monday. Regardless of them having a game in hand, they would be 7 points behind. Going into a game against a very decent Wolves side, it would surely play on their minds 'We beat the fuckers last week and but now they're 7 points clear again'. I'm not saying the City players are mentally weak or anything of the sort, but it is a completely different proposition for them now. I mean look at the bus incident last year. Was it nice? No, and the handful of dickheads from our lot should be ashamed. But they made the biggest song and dance about it that they could, it clearly affeted them and they made out like we had fired scud missiles directly at their bus.

City can be rattled, Pep can be rattled, we just need to stir the pot and bring it out of them by winning games.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2405 on: January 8, 2019, 04:34:20 pm »
City need 2.76/2.82 points per game to reach 97/98 points. They've averaged 2.38 so far this season, they averaged 2.41 in the last 17 of last season (so 2.4 over their last 38 league games); 2.63 over the whole of last season.

They averaged 2.81 over the first 21 games last season. That's the level they need to rediscover, now, to reach 97/98 points. They're not playing at that level; they haven't been, consistently, since the end of 2017.

And when push comes to shove in their hectic schedule, the owners and manager's priority is the CL.

If they go at the rate they went at last season (2.63) then they will get to 94-95. It's extremely unlikely that they will go at a faster rate than that.

13 wins, 3 draws and a loss gets us to 96 (or even 14 wins and 3 losses). That will do it. Lots of room to drop points, no pressure to win every single one, and that will allows us to gain points at a slower rate than we have been so far. Can't expect the team to go on another 9 win streak. But two runs of 5+ each time will get us incredibly close.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2406 on: January 8, 2019, 04:36:50 pm »
Agreed, I think 95+ for us will be enough. Hopefully, we stockpile the wins nice and early, and City (and Spurs) tail off and we can even put a bit of effort into the CL games :). The sooner we have the points, the fewer we probably need.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2407 on: January 8, 2019, 04:49:10 pm »
If they go at the rate they went at last season (2.63) then they will get to 94-95. It's extremely unlikely that they will go at a faster rate than that.

13 wins, 3 draws and a loss gets us to 96 (or even 14 wins and 3 losses). That will do it. Lots of room to drop points, no pressure to win every single one, and that will allows us to gain points at a slower rate than we have been so far. Can't expect the team to go on another 9 win streak. But two runs of 5+ each time will get us incredibly close.

This should be repeated often should we not win on Saturday.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2408 on: January 8, 2019, 06:47:00 pm »
I would be shocked if Man City only drop 3/4 points in the rest of the season. Yes it's true that they have already played us and we could have been one of the teams to take points off of them, but they will drop points elsewhere too. They've already dropped 13 points at just past the halfway point after all. It would be implausible for them to drop so few, especially since, as seems likely, Pep will be under pressure to go far in the CL.

I understand you don’t agree with me but to say it’s implausible for them to drop so few is wrong. We ourselves have just gone 20 games only dropping 6 points.

I want to be wrong, I really do but I honestly think they’ll get 47+ points from their remaining fixtures.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2409 on: January 8, 2019, 06:48:05 pm »
I think we're both getting our wires crossed. My point is that it will be interesting to see if the extra games coming up for Spurs will affect their league form or whether they can close the gap on us despite us having fewer committments.

;) Makes sense mate. I am saying that they've had a helping hand a bit, if they do progress further

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2410 on: January 8, 2019, 06:49:15 pm »
We'll see. They definitely look more vulnerable than last season. If we can beat Brighton then we extend to 7 points again and City have to wait until Monday to play Wolves. If they drop points in the next two or three games and we don't, I think they'll do it a bit more often. Right now it's about who can regroup, focus and win the most on the trot. Think the first to blink is under real, real pressure.

Brighton will not be an easy game. They have a very good home record. That said, I think I've got a bit of a feel for our group of lads, I reckon they're pissed off, motivated and fucking desperate to win. Which will hopefully mean Brighton are in for a hell of a game.

You’re right, we’ll only know who was right come the end of the season.

Brighton will be very difficult. We have to find a way to win tho. Nothing else will do.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2411 on: January 8, 2019, 06:49:55 pm »
I understand you don’t agree with me but to say it’s implausible for them to drop so few is wrong. We ourselves have just gone 20 games only dropping 6 points.

I want to be wrong, I really do but I honestly think they’ll get 47+ points from their remaining fixtures.

There are only 51 points available, so they'd basically have to be perfect to get more than 47 points. It's doable, for sure. I think the deeper they go in the CL, though, the more points they'll begin to drop.

We're also capable of doing the same though.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2412 on: January 8, 2019, 06:52:24 pm »
There are only 51 points available, so they'd basically have to be perfect to get more than 47 points. It's doable, for sure. I think the deeper they go in the CL, though, the more points they'll begin to drop.

We're also capable of doing the same though.

I just think they got their ‘pickford’ moment last week and will go on a massive winning run now. We have to do the same.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2413 on: January 8, 2019, 06:54:44 pm »
I just think they got their ‘pickford’ moment last week and will go on a massive winning run now. We have to do the same.

But you do understand - to get 47+ points, they have to win all but one game, right? 16 wins in a row almost.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2414 on: January 8, 2019, 06:56:25 pm »
But you do understand - to get 47+ points, they have to win all but one game, right? 16 wins in a row almost.

I’ve already said earlier I think they’ll win 15 and draw 2 to get 47 points. So yeah I know what they’ll have to do.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2415 on: January 8, 2019, 07:01:10 pm »
I’ve already said earlier I think they’ll win 15 and draw 2 to get 47 points. So yeah I know what they’ll have to do.

So then the question is, do you think we're capable of doing the same? Because we only need to win 14 and draw 2 to win the league, in that scenario. So we could even afford to lose a game and still come out on top.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2416 on: January 8, 2019, 07:03:58 pm »
Hands up, who can't have children?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2417 on: January 8, 2019, 07:07:21 pm »
Hands up, who can't have children?

I’m getting the word.......
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: January 8, 2019, 07:13:21 pm »
That means City only dropping 4 points from here doesn’t it? I know they’re very good but a lot of past evidence points to teams dropping more than that. I’m sticking with a paltry 95.

i think 95 will win it too

If it doesnt you just have to hold your hands up and say fair play (or non financial fair play but you know what I mean)

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2419 on: January 8, 2019, 07:14:35 pm »
So then the question is, do you think we're capable of doing the same? Because we only need to win 14 and draw 2 to win the league, in that scenario. So we could even afford to lose a game and still come out on top.

Yes I think we are capable. We are boss!

I’d say there are more questions marks over us tho.

We have to win the next 5 in my opinion.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2420 on: January 8, 2019, 07:16:12 pm »
The best chance we have here is to be twatted by Bayern Munich and for them to get to the final.

I'd be happy for them to win it - if it meant we won the league.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2421 on: January 8, 2019, 07:20:09 pm »
The best chance we have here is to be twatted by Bayern Munich and for them to get to the final.

I’d be happy for anyone to win it if we win the league.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2422 on: January 8, 2019, 07:32:44 pm »
Thing is, we have much lower workload then City before the international break before the CL quarterfinal. That's when our focus can be decided.  If we lead by 10 pts by then, or whatever, why not try and focus on both competitions? If we are too close for comfort, I'd wish we prioritize the League.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2423 on: January 8, 2019, 08:41:57 pm »
The thing I feared most about a City win more than the lost points, is handing them any kind of initiative or boost for the rest of the season. Now they have got that, it's imperative we get back to winning ways and go on a run and then we can hope that they eventually slip up once that boost of beating us is forgotten and the cup games start to catch up with them (if they do).

I'm still confident given our defensive record and with Gomez on the way back we can go on just a run. Also, hopefully Fabinho is here to stay in the first XI and Klopp persists with a 4-2-3-1, especially away from home having learnt his lesson at City, Napoli, PSG et al.

95 points should be enough unless City get 51+points over the second half of the season (they had 44 for the first half). Which means we then need 44 for the second half of the season. 14 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats would do it. We already have 1 of those wins in the bag v Arsenal and 1 defeat v City, so on paper it doesn't look too ominous. 14 wins from the last 17 would pretty much guarantee it but that's a tall order.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2424 on: January 8, 2019, 09:17:10 pm »

I'm not sure about the twatted part, not good for morale but a narrow defeat would be acceptable if it meant winning the league again finally. As for City I really can't want them to win the CL I want it to be the monkey on their back for the forthcoming seasons distracting them year after year so we can win title after title. A hard fought defeat in the semis would be ideal, demoralising them right at the business end of the league.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2425 on: January 8, 2019, 09:18:45 pm »
This really caught my eye - massive difference in workload right here. They very nearly have double our games. I can only assume Spurs are similar to City (and yes I don't think we can forget about Spurs until they go away).
It's not really, City can play their B team and walk past Burton & Burnley, get a decent draw in next round of teh FA Cup and do it again

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2426 on: January 8, 2019, 09:21:12 pm »
It's not really, City can play their B team and walk past Burton & Burnley, get a decent draw in next round of teh FA Cup and do it again

Depends if they are still affected by injuries, they've already rushed people back and had setbacks.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2427 on: January 8, 2019, 09:36:14 pm »

What City won’t have, is preparation time. They can’t let one group of players prepare for a league game whilst another group prepare for a Cup game.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2428 on: January 8, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »
It's pretty telling looking at that. And I've said it before it's not just about rest for the players. It's the manager [I think this really applies to city as he's such a 'thinker', shall we say], the staff, the logistics, everything. Even the fans. It's a head frying amount of games the longer you go on, and the pressure just increases each time.

I think 95 will be enough. It might even be less. City have dropped [I think] 13 points so far? If they drop another 7 in this half of the season, just over half the amount dropped so far, 95 would be enough. Which in turn would mean 13 wins and a couple of draws for us from this point.

City have consistently dropped more points in the second half the season since Guardiola arrived. I think them dropping 7 points, after already dropping 13 points so far, is not beyond the realms of possibility. Especially with them still in it for all the Cups.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2429 on: January 8, 2019, 10:03:51 pm »
Fuck that, I don't want City to get their dirty paws anywhere near ol' big ears. They can win the PL for the next 30 years but they'll always feel empty without the Champions League, long may it evade them.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2430 on: January 8, 2019, 11:50:37 pm »
We are going to be at our optimum fitness in the title run in and hopefully latter stages of the CL

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2431 on: January 8, 2019, 11:53:02 pm »
As the doctor ordered now let's make it count.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2432 on: January 9, 2019, 12:22:55 am »
How have we done following these previous training camps? We seem to do them every season but do we tend to come back and do well from them?

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #2433 on: January 9, 2019, 01:19:14 am »
well the one reassuring thought after these two losses is the realization that Jurgen Klopp is laser focused on winning the title because its been decades and its what the people want. and hes got form and an outstanding platform to work from.

Game on. go team.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #2434 on: January 9, 2019, 07:28:49 am »

To be honest if we win the league i wouldn't want City to win the CL. Guarantee people would play down us winning the league because City "concentrated on winning the BIG ONE".
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2435 on: January 9, 2019, 07:43:06 am »
To be honest if we win the league i wouldn't want City to win the CL. Guarantee people would play down us winning the league because City "concentrated on winning the BIG ONE".

I wont and we certainly shouldnt seek the approval and adulation of others to get absolutely hammered in celebration of winning a title.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2436 on: January 9, 2019, 08:03:57 am »

If Liverpool win the league I wouldn't give a fuck what City go on to do. Liverpool would have removed a 29 year long monkey off their back.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2437 on: January 9, 2019, 09:19:25 am »
If Liverpool win the league I wouldn't give a fuck what City go on to do. Liverpool would have removed a 29 year long monkey off their back.

All day long, don't give a shit about other clubs do anyway, they are not worthy of my time. But if we win the Title I wouldn't be arsed if City won the C/L, Everton won the FA Cup and Man Utd get top 4!

This quest for the Title has dragged on to a piss taking length can't wait to get our hands on it!

No other fuckin club will spoil my party.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2438 on: January 9, 2019, 09:35:46 am »
How have we done following these previous training camps? We seem to do them every season but do we tend to come back and do well from them?

We got to the european cup final last year. That was alright as it goes.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2439 on: January 9, 2019, 09:50:08 am »

Last season, we were on 54 points after 27 before we went to Marbella. Then we had 21 points from 11 afterwards, so PPG approximately the same. However, those 11 include Chelsea, United away, which we lost. We also went on a good CL run...  ;)

I’m sure it helps with morale and enjoying some sun more than anything.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.