Author Topic: Wales manager John Toshack may quit this week  (Read 3720 times)

Offline domhawke

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Wales manager John Toshack may quit this week
« on: September 6, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »
John Toshack could tender his resignation as early as this week to enable Wales to begin the search for a replacement.

The 61-year-old feels he has gone as far as he can as manager of his country following the 1-0 defeat by Montenegro on Friday.
He was preparing to resign if Wales failed to get good results in their next two games, against Bulgaria and Switzerland next month. But he has already indicated his feelings to FA of Wales officials and may bring forward that decision.

There are few stand-out candidates to replace Toshack though the FAW will consider former captain Ryan Giggs.
Recently, the Manchester United winger indicated he would be interested eventually in leading his country when he said: “If you go into management, the big job is to be in charge of your country. And I’m no different in terms of thinking like that.”
Giggs has already taken coaching badges and added: “At the moment it is difficult, because I still have commitments as a player.
“But I always use the Sparky (Mark Hughes) situation. One minute he is playing for Wales and in the Premier League with Blackburn, then the next thing you know, he is managing his country. Sparky never really planned for that.”
Trefor Lloyd Hughes, the FAW vice-president, added: “There’s a lot of speculation, some of it false, some of it true.
“The FAW, I’m sure, will issue a statement clarifying the situation wither later today (Monday) or by midweek.”

Personally i think he's had his time and the amount of players to have retired when he took over is testament to his man-management skills and constant negativity when Sparky was in charge. As a welshman i'd love to see it go to one of us but cant see Giggs or anyone else getting it.

Anyone got any ideas on who should get it? (leave out the comedy ones please   ::) )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/wales/7983890/Wales-manager-John-Toshack-may-quit-this-week.html
its like a birthday mate, you come home and realise the wife has ordered not 1, not 2 but 3 latina professional hookers for you for 24 hours.

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
Re: Wales manager John Toshack may quit this week
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2010, 10:30:08 pm »
Hopefully we get a Welsh manager.

What about Bryan Flynn? Doing a great job with the U21s and will have worked with quite a few of the current first-team.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline domhawke

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2010, 10:32:58 pm »

What about Bryan Flynn? Doing a great job with the U21s and will have worked with quite a few of the current first-team.
Good call. Not alot of contenders out there tho. would love a "big name" to motivate the players and put welsh football back int he big time like trappatoni did with Ireland after several mediocre managers
its like a birthday mate, you come home and realise the wife has ordered not 1, not 2 but 3 latina professional hookers for you for 24 hours.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2010, 10:34:23 pm »
Roy Evans. Wales would play some good football then, or at least try to.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »
surely Sir Ryan will manage them
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Pheeny

« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2010, 10:54:59 pm »
Dean Saunders please.Got to get him away from Wrexham...

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2010, 11:00:01 pm »
Robbie Savage
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2010, 11:05:46 pm »
Vinny Jones
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2010, 11:10:26 pm »
Craig Bellamy. He's the welsh Maradona.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2010, 11:13:42 pm »
I always thought that Toshack should have been in with a shout to manage us at some point, but I think it would have been at around the time Souness was manager and I think he burned a few bridges at around that time.

As regards Wales, I feel a bit sorry for him in as much as he's tried to go with youth and dropped some of the senior players and it hasn't worked out.

Not sure who'd be best in the Wales role now as most eligible Welshmen have had a crack at it already.

Maybe Rushy might want a go?

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2010, 11:19:34 pm »
Why should Giggs get it considering his appalling record of no shows.....

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »
would love a "big name" to motivate the players and put welsh football back int he big time like trappatoni did with Ireland after several mediocre managers

It's funny how Ireland are thought of... before Jack Charlton, Ireland were just another of the home nations that never got anywhere, and here we are, asking for Wales to be 'back in the big time'. Is that tongue in cheek?

Surely it's a question of  getting into some kind of run and forging some kind of shape is it not, before all these fanciful ideas of big time.

The top candidate being bandied about in many quarters is for Sir Ryan Giggs to step into the breach. This for me shows a great sense of humour and I don't need to mention why. Giggs? Really? 15 years of brilliant tutorage from a Scot in how to pull out of games could arguably empower Giggs with the necessary media soundbites for the reasons that Bale and Ramsey have had to pull out of games, but I doubt it gives him much of a foundation to build a side on does it?

Might as well knock the Euro's on the head now and go for a World Cup bid. Build a side... find 16 players, find some young players, help them get involved in Championship/League One sides and start from fresh.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #12 on: September 6, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »

I'd well agree with that mate. I really hope Tosh goes this week. I'm almost loathed to admit that I agree with Robbie Savage, but enough is enough now.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline domhawke

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: September 6, 2010, 11:44:59 pm »
It's funny how Ireland are thought of... before Jack Charlton, Ireland were just another of the home nations that never got anywhere, and here we are, asking for Wales to be 'back in the big time'. Is that tongue in cheek?

Surely it's a question of  getting into some kind of run and forging some kind of shape is it not, before all these fanciful ideas of big time.

The top candidate being bandied about in many quarters is for Sir Ryan Giggs to step into the breach. This for me shows a great sense of humour and I don't need to mention why. Giggs? Really? 15 years of brilliant tutorage from a Scot in how to pull out of games could arguably empower Giggs with the necessary media soundbites for the reasons that Bale and Ramsey have had to pull out of games, but I doubt it gives him much of a foundation to build a side on does it?

Might as well knock the Euro's on the head now and go for a World Cup bid. Build a side... find 16 players, find some young players, help them get involved in Championship/League One sides and start from fresh.
Ok maybe RoI was a poor example but you get the idea

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #14 on: September 6, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »
Ok maybe RoI was a poor example but you get the idea
;D you'll probably have to make a case for us to get "back" to the big time in world football. There was the time we nearly qualified for the euro's, then Rush's strike to beat the germans back in the 90's....

Our team at the moment should be far more competitive than we are though, we're not full of utter shit by any stretch of the imagination, but we need better leadership from the Manager. As much as i'll get slated for it, it's a shame he didn't go in the summer, then we could have offered the job back to Hughes who i honestly thought was doing a good job with the team before he left for blackburn.
Gratitude

Offline domhawke

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: September 7, 2010, 12:05:07 am »
;D you'll probably have to make a case for us to get "back" to the big time in world football. There was the time we nearly qualified for the euro's, then Rush's strike to beat the germans back in the 90's....

Our team at the moment should be far more competitive than we are though, we're not full of utter shit by any stretch of the imagination, but we need better leadership from the Manager. As much as i'll get slated for it, it's a shame he didn't go in the summer, then we could have offered the job back to Hughes who i honestly thought was doing a good job with the team before he left for blackburn.
I think Hughes and Tosh have had similar fates, always hit by player withdrawals, retirements to key players and seemingly taking the team as far as they could go. Having Giggs would be a slap in the face to the loyal welsh men who didn't withdrawer from games whenever whiskey nose told him to

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #16 on: September 7, 2010, 10:40:28 am »
Delighted that Toshack is going. He's been useless for us and has taken us soooooo far back from where Mark Hughes brought us. If the FAW had any sense, and they don't, then their shortlist should look like this:

Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman and
Chris Coleman

Pheeny

« Reply #17 on: September 7, 2010, 10:52:00 am »
Delighted that Toshack is going. He's been useless for us and has taken us soooooo far back from where Mark Hughes brought us. If the FAW had any sense, and they don't, then their shortlist should look like this:

Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman and
Chris Coleman
for a Welsh point of view you are correct but from a Wrexham point it should be Saunders. ;)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 7, 2010, 11:07:21 am »
I'm not too knowledgable about Welsh football, but don't they have some decent players coming through? Gunter, Bale, Ramsey, Ledley. And with the likes of Bellamy and Simon Davies, they've got a decent team no?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 7, 2010, 11:22:10 am »
I'm not too knowledgable about Welsh football, but don't they have some decent players coming through? Gunter, Bale, Ramsey, Ledley. And with the likes of Bellamy and Simon Davies, they've got a decent team no?

They do have talent and some very good players but they don't seem to have the best keepers, defenders or, outside Bellamy, strikers but maybe I'm being harsh?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: September 7, 2010, 11:36:19 am »
for a Welsh point of view you are correct but from a Wrexham point it should be Saunders. ;)

Scary thing is that Saunders is being groomed for the job as one of Toshack's assistants, but it needs to be Coleman AND he can come in straight away because he's unemployed right now!

Davies has retired, I think. We've got a lot of good players coming through. Gunter, Bale, Ramsey, Hennessey, Matthews, Collison, Ledley, Blake, Allen, Vokes, Cotterill, Church, Evans. ALL of those are under 23!!! The under 21's are pretty decent too, we'll be a little light in defence and on the wings but there's a good base for a bright ten years or so with the right manager!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 7, 2010, 11:47:10 am »
Davies has retired, I think. We've got a lot of good players coming through. Gunter, Bale, Ramsey, Hennessey, Matthews, Collison, Ledley, Blake, Allen, Vokes, Cotterill, Church, Evans. ALL of those are under 23!!! The under 21's are pretty decent too, we'll be a little light in defence and on the wings but there's a good base for a bright ten years or so with the right manager!

Forgot about the likes Vokes and Evans. Didn't even know Collison was Welsh. Yeah, you've got some good players - why do you want Chris Coleman in charge?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22 on: September 7, 2010, 11:57:47 am »
Forgot about the likes Vokes and Evans. Didn't even know Collison was Welsh. Yeah, you've got some good players - why do you want Chris Coleman in charge?

Welsh grandparents I think, not sure though.

Coleman's a good manager, he did great at Fulham and got them progressing up the Premier League before leaving and then did a great job at Real Sociedad before falling out with the Director of Football. Granted he didn't do an amazing job at Coventry but he's got good Premier League experience, and has a passion and a belief that he can pass on to the players. Hughes' plan was always to get in people's faces, play with pace and passion and it worked to an extent. Toshack has done the opposite, he's tried to get us to play a European style of football that the players aren't good enough to play, we need someone like Coleman to get us away from that.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2010, 01:38:33 pm »
If Sir Ryan gets the job, who'll manage the team when we play a friendly?
Giggs won't turn up for those games.
TWAT

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #24 on: September 7, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »
What's Vinnie Jones up to these days?   ;)

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: September 7, 2010, 04:03:03 pm »
What's Vinnie Jones up to these days?   ;)

Fuck off! That's almost as bad as John Hartson saying he's up for the job, which he has!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2010, 04:11:42 pm »
Press conference set for Thursday.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline domhawke

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2010, 06:04:18 pm »
Press conference set for Thursday.

The Football Association of Wales have called a press conference for Thursday afternoon when manager John Toshack is expected to announce his resignation.

Toshack is understood to feel he has taken Wales as far as he can following Friday's 1-0 defeat by Montenegro in their opening Euro 2012 qualifier.

The 61-year-old will be present at the press conference along with FAW president Phil Pritchard and chief executive Jonathan Ford

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6363705,00.html

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 7, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »
Strange that this is happening now, one game into the qualifiers. Why didn't he go a year ago?

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 9, 2010, 02:00:36 pm »
Toshack has gone.
TEAMWORK

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 9, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »
chris coleman in next?

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #31 on: September 9, 2010, 02:27:35 pm »
surely there is only one candidate:

his highness, Lord High Everythingelse, Sir Ryan of Giggs..

..although he won't be available to manage the friendlies..
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: September 9, 2010, 03:04:21 pm »

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 9, 2010, 04:04:00 pm »
Hopefully

How would you feel about Flynn or Jackett, out of interest? You know more than me about the state of Welsh football so just wondering what your preferences are apart from Coleman. I always thought he did a fairly good job at Fulham but didn't follow him when he went to Sociedad. What happened at Coventry?
TEAMWORK

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 9, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »
I don't follow Wales too closely either but surely Chris Coleman has to be in with a decent shout? I didn't think he did too bad at Coventry either given there position.

You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #35 on: September 9, 2010, 06:35:05 pm »
Get Sir Ryan in there!

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #36 on: September 9, 2010, 07:38:18 pm »
John Hartson says he wants it.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37 on: September 9, 2010, 08:50:07 pm »
How would you feel about Flynn or Jackett, out of interest? You know more than me about the state of Welsh football so just wondering what your preferences are apart from Coleman. I always thought he did a fairly good job at Fulham but didn't follow him when he went to Sociedad. What happened at Coventry?

I'm not sure what happened at Coventry, but I don't think the club have the right set up to get back up or improve too much on midtable in the Championship, but I'm not a Coventry fan and only see that from the outside. Coleman didn't really take them forward, but he didn't take them backwards either and he was sacked/resigned from Sociedad when they were 2nd in the Spanish 2nd division. He's the best manager we can get in my opinion who's available, I'd love Pulis but he's said already it's too early for him so maybe after Coleman?

I'd be dead against Kenny Jackett. The Swansea fans would love it, the Cardiff fans would hate it and he's been on a loser from the start. The fanbase, split enough as it is, would be split even futher by this! Flynn has done wonders for the under 21s, and there's a strong arguement for him to take over the first team due to so many of the players being young and having prior knowledge of his managerial style but he's found his niche with the under 21s and I wouldn't want to stunt the development of the youngsters by moving him up. It's Coleman for me, and it should be for the FAW too.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 01:37:04 am »
You're probably right about coleman being the right choice if he gets it. I'll be worried if Hartson was given it, we need someone who's had experience at the highest level possible before taking us over, and out of everyone, that's coleman.

I just want to speak about Tosh's press conference. Despite him not doing the job for us over the last 4 years, and despite it not being said in the most eloquent of ways, I understand his comments about it would be better, if results don't go our way in the next 2 games, if he was there. Basically he was saying (or so i understood it) I would prefer to be the scapegoat, take all the criticism and leave the next guy a fresh slate to start with.  He right in saying there's fuck all time to get the new guy up to speed for the next round of qualifiers and if it goes badly, what everyone needs to do is lay off the criticism of the new guy and the team. It's going to take time, whoever comes in, to try and build us up again to a point where we are internationally competitive.
Gratitude