Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 547393 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #9240 on: January 16, 2020, 10:56:10 pm »
Now there are claims some of the Astros wore devices to know what pitch was coming  :o

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9241 on: January 16, 2020, 11:06:54 pm »
Now there are claims some of the Astros wore devices to know what pitch was coming  :o
They need stripping of that title.

Unbelievable how this has snowballed.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9242 on: January 17, 2020, 12:05:21 am »

If there's any way this can be proved then we'll see some major player suspensions.  Potentially banned for life I would think. 

it could be argued that doing that is way worse then what Pete Rose did. 

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9243 on: February 5, 2020, 03:16:00 am »
Red Sox trade Mookie Betts and David Price to the Dodgers. John Henry will not be a popular man in Boston.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9244 on: February 5, 2020, 06:15:47 am »
Red Sox trade Mookie Betts and David Price to the Dodgers. John Henry will not be a popular man in Boston.

Too right he shouldn’t be popular they just have away a top 5 player in baseball for a cash dump beyond ridiculous!

All this after handing big contracts to a broken Sale and Eovaldi last summer.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2020, 06:17:24 am by Rosario »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9245 on: February 5, 2020, 07:04:25 am »
Wow... Though.

Betts was going to test FA next winter, and Price hasn't been that great in Boston for that monster contract.

Looks like another transitional period for the Sox, they have a history under FSG of coming out better under those, they have a huge contract off the books and must be quite under the luxury tax now.

Next winter they should spend big.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9246 on: February 5, 2020, 02:50:50 pm »
Embarrassing for the Red Sox. You'd expect a trade like that from Pittsburgh or Miami.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9247 on: February 5, 2020, 03:35:29 pm »
Red Sox are not competing with the Yankee's and Rays this year so keeping Betts makes no sense as he's always said he will go to free agency. I thought they would get a little more but Betts had to be traded and getting someone to actually take Price as well is a result.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #9248 on: February 5, 2020, 05:14:30 pm »
Wow... Though.

Betts was going to test FA next winter, and Price hasn't been that great in Boston for that monster contract.

Looks like another transitional period for the Sox, they have a history under FSG of coming out better under those, they have a huge contract off the books and must be quite under the luxury tax now.

Next winter they should spend big.
I understand the frustration, but the bolded bit is the key part for me. After all of these years, I would think they would have earned the benefit of the doubt. If we have learned anything from the past 10+ years, it's that these mega contracts usually don't end well.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9249 on: February 5, 2020, 07:36:20 pm »
Red Sox have a lot of work to do to rebuild what Dombrowski did the past few years.  He got them a World Series but he pretty much destroyed their farm system and gave some big contracts to a few players that didn't pan out.  They now have to rebuild the farm system, get the payroll under control, and most importantly, hire a manager.  It'll be a few years before they are back contending for the World Series again. 

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9250 on: February 5, 2020, 08:14:13 pm »
Surprised they didn't deal Betts last year. Might've got more for him at the trade deadline when they had no chance of winning anything anyway. Verdugo is alright but the Red Sox have got 3 guys in the outfield now that don't really hit for power. Red Sox could be bad for a long while.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9251 on: February 5, 2020, 08:57:09 pm »
They definitely should've traded him last year.  You are right, they would've got a lot more from him but they probably wouldn't of been able to include Price in the deal as well.  I think his salary is a big factor in how little they got back in return. 

Offline Tarislan

• Main Stander
« Reply #9252 on: February 5, 2020, 11:19:55 pm »
(edit: I posted this on a Sox forum (SOSH), but considering the Liverpool precedent, I figure it belongs here too)

I'm understanding of the situation. Would I prefer to have Mookie on my team in 2020 and beyond? Yes. To steal a popular line from a way back... "That's a clown question, bro". Mookie is one of the five best players in the league. He made the Red Sox better. He's going to make the Dodgers better. He'll make whatever team he's on in 2021 and beyond better.

But it's like ripping off a band-aid. To be done cleanly, it had to be done quickly. This is not the result of John Henry suddenly deciding "Well, I don't want to spend any more money on the Red Sox." The years leading up to this had so many inflection points.

There was so many times that the Sox could have faced the music and tried to set things up for a sustainable, successful future that were missed. For example, after the 2018 title, the Red Sox resigned Sale and Eovaldi for high value. The reason? There wasn't too much on the market, and Red Sox fans wouldn't accept stepping back after a season where they won the title. While Dombrowski's the one who did the move, Henry obviously had to sign off on it, and I'm betting that's a decision he's regretted bitterly.

I've seen some Red Sox fans say "The difference between the Sox offer and Mookie's demand was $120 million. The Red Sox are worth five billion. PAY THE MAN HIS MONEY". Again, I have some sympathy for that view. But let's look at the situation as it stood this off season.

If you pay Betts somewhere close to his 12/420 demand, you're not only adding 35 million a year in salary, but over the next three years, you're adding an extra $100 million in luxury tax payments and further crippling the farm system with Draft Pick Penalties. And to surround Betts with future players (because again, the farm system cupboard is pretty freaking bare without this trade, not ot mention any possible penalties if Cora is found to have brought the sign stealing system to the Sox) just keeps adding more and more and more and more. There has to be a point where even Billionaires can't countenance it.

In Verdugo and Graterol, we get two top 100 prospects. This season was already treading downhill, thanks to injury concerns, especially when it comes to lack of pitching that can survive a season. Oh yeah, and the Sox don't have a manager, thanks to the Astros (and Red Sox) sign stealing controversies. That's why the over/under on the Sox 2020 season only went down ONE WIN (from 87.5 to 86.5) after trading a top 10 MVP candidate and a still pretty good (if injury risky and way overpaid) pitcher.

It's not like John Henry hasn't had a record of bringing the Sox success. Four titles in fifteen years is something that just about any team in any sport would love to have. And being a fan of soccer, I have a somewhat similar situation to fall back on, and surprise it's a John Henry-owned team. Liverpool was forced to sell one of the best players in the world, Phillipe Coutinho to Barcelona, and a lot of people wondered if Liverpool would just simply become just another selling team when the big clubs called. Now they have the largest lead in Premier League history, are the champions of Europe (and the World), and look to go from strength to strength.

Once it became clear that signing Mookie and keeping a championship-calibre team around him would require oh, say a spare half-billion or so (and that number would not go down, only UP), then it became time to face the music, take the medicine and try to set up something so that when we slide from the heights, we catch ourselves before it turns into a full fledged fall to the bottom, and start climbing back up.

It sucks. It really does. I mean, we're talking about a player that did THIS in a meaningless end-season game last year.

https://youtu.be/WQsd3QcLoIc?t=344

But there was really no good options here.

Oh, and I'd still have John Henry as my owner over just about any other owner our there. Think of it this way, we could be the Mets clown car of ownership. Or more accurately for this board, Man Yoo's ownership.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2020, 11:44:30 pm by Tarislan »

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9253 on: February 5, 2020, 11:38:04 pm »
Other than Firmino (it should be Coutinho), that’s a decent piece above.

That being said, the Red Sox appears to be circuses every so often only this time they’ve traded away a beloved player and received very little return. It’s not the worst thing to trade him, but if they were going to do it, they might as well have done it earlier (as Gerry said above) and gotten a better return. Their farm system is depleted and this doesn’t address it nearly enough.

A lot of shit thrown at John Henry from Sox fans, but emotions are running high.
King Kenny.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9254 on: February 5, 2020, 11:39:40 pm »
(edit: I posted this on a Sox forum (SOSH), but considering the Liverpool precedent, I figure it belongs here too)

I'm understanding of the situation. Would I prefer to have Mookie on my team in 2020 and beyond? Yes. To steal a popular line from a way back... "That's a clown question, bro". Mookie is one of the five best players in the league. He made the Red Sox better. He's going to make the Dodgers better. He'll make whatever team he's on in 2021 and beyond better.

But it's like ripping off a band-aid. To be done cleanly, it had to be done quickly. This is not the result of John Henry suddenly deciding "Well, I don't want to spend any more money on the Red Sox." The years leading up to this had so many inflection points.

There was so many times that the Sox could have faced the music and tried to set things up for a sustainable, successful future that were missed. For example, after the 2018 title, the Red Sox resigned Sale and Eovaldi for high value. The reason? There wasn't too much on the market, and Red Sox fans wouldn't accept stepping back after a season where they won the title. While Dombrowski's the one who did the move, Henry obviously had to sign off on it, and I'm betting that's a decision he's regretted bitterly.

I've seen some Red Sox fans say "The difference between the Sox offer and Mookie's demand was $120 million. The Red Sox are worth five billion. PAY THE MAN HIS MONEY". Again, I have some sympathy for that view. But let's look at the situation as it stood this off season.

If you pay Betts somewhere close to his 12/420 demand, you're not only adding 35 million a year in salary, but over the next three years, you're adding an extra $100 million in luxury tax payments and further crippling the farm system with Draft Pick Penalties. And to surround Betts with future players (because again, the farm system cupboard is pretty freaking bare without this trade, not ot mention any possible penalties if Cora is found to have brought the sign stealing system to the Sox) just keeps adding more and more and more and more. There has to be a point where even Billionaires can't countenance it.

In Verdugo and Graterol, we get two top 100 prospects. This season was already treading downhill, thanks to injury concerns, especially when it comes to lack of pitching that can survive a season. Oh yeah, and the Sox don't have a manager, thanks to the Astros (and Red Sox) sign stealing controversies. That's why the over/under on the Sox 2020 season only went down ONE WIN (from 87.5 to 86.5) after trading a top 10 MVP candidate and a still pretty good (if injury risky and way overpaid) pitcher.

It's not like John Henry hasn't had a record of bringing the Sox success. Four titles in fifteen years is something that just about any team in any sport would love to have. And being a fan of soccer, I have a somewhat similar situation to fall back on, and surprise it's a John Henry-owned team. Liverpool was forced to sell one of the best players in the world, Roberto Firmino, to Barcelona, and a lot of people wondered if Liverpool would just simply become just another selling team when the big clubs called. Now they have the largest lead in Premier League history, are the champions of Europe (and the World), and look to go from strength to strength.

Once it became clear that signing Mookie and keeping a championship-calibre team around him would require oh, say a spare half-billion or so (and that number would not go down, only UP), then it became time to face the music, take the medicine and try to set up something so that when we slide from the heights, we catch ourselves before it turns into a full fledged fall to the bottom, and start climbing back up.

It sucks. It really does. I mean, we're talking about a player that did THIS in a meaningless end-season game last year.

https://youtu.be/WQsd3QcLoIc?t=344

But there was really no good options here.

Oh, and I'd still have John Henry as my owner over just about any other owner our there. Think of it this way, we could be the Mets clown car of ownership. Or more accurately for this board, Man Yoo's ownership.

^^^^^ ummmm we sold Coutinho, not Firmino!

Offline Tarislan

• Main Stander
« Reply #9255 on: February 5, 2020, 11:43:51 pm »
bleah. I blame the flu.

edited. Sorry :(

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9256 on: February 11, 2020, 12:38:40 am »
Holy shit ....  Because baseball currently struggles from having too few games MLB is thinking about adding more teams and more games to the playoffs.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9257 on: February 11, 2020, 01:41:10 am »
Holy shit ....  Because baseball currently struggles from having too few games MLB is thinking about adding more teams and more games to the playoffs.

WTF, one idea floating around too, adding a reality-TV-type format to determine which teams play each other in an expanded wild-card round,  :o sounds like a very early April fool joke but alas it's not.
#Sausages

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9258 on: February 14, 2020, 12:14:19 am »
Absolute clusterfuck car crash of a press conference by the Astros today.

The Astros owner says sign stealing had no impact on the games. :lmao

I despise that franchise.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9259 on: February 14, 2020, 10:44:26 am »
Absolute clusterfuck car crash of a press conference by the Astros today.

The Astros owner says sign stealing had no impact on the games. :lmao

I despise that franchise.
A minute later: "I didn't say that it had no impact".

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9260 on: February 16, 2020, 01:10:34 am »
Now it's a bad tattoo....    seriously, it'd be a lot better if they just stopped talking.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9261 on: February 16, 2020, 01:52:17 pm »
Cody Bellinger just became my favourite Baseball player.

He absolutely rips the Astros for being cheats, and robbing him of a ring and especially Altuve about not taking his shirt off last October.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/i9acHgEHtUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/i9acHgEHtUU</a>

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9262 on: February 16, 2020, 08:41:55 pm »
Yep, the players are fuming throughout and MLB's response was incredibly weak

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9263 on: February 17, 2020, 12:10:33 am »
Holy shit this Manfred interview is a shocker. PL needs to take note. This is not what you do

In a wide-ranging interview with ESPN's Karl Ravech, Manfred explained why he didn't punish any Astros players for their roles in the scandal, which involved illegal use of technology to decipher their opponents' signs and relay them to Houston batters in real time.

"Yeah, I understand. I understand people's desire to have the players pay a price for what went on here," Manfred said. "I think if you watch the players, watch their faces when they have to deal with this issue publicly, they have paid a price. To think they're skipping down the road into spring training, happy, that's just a mischaracterization of where we are. Having said that, the desire to have actual discipline imposed on them, I understand it and in a perfect world it would have happened. We ended up where we ended up in pursuit of really, I think, the most important goal of getting the facts and getting them out there for people to know it."

MLB announced its discipline of the Astros last month, suspending general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch for the entire 2020 season while stripping the organization of four draft picks and levying a $5 million fine.

But none of Houston's players was suspended or fined, and Manfred had previously announced that MLB had no plans to strip the Astros of their 2017 World Series title -- decisions that have drawn widespread criticism from the baseball community, including players from other teams.

"In the context of my original decision, something that we talked about and analyzed extensively," said Manfred of potentially stripping the Astros of the 2017 title. "A big topic of conversation between me and my senior staff. ... It has never happened in baseball. I am a believer in the idea that precedent happens and when you deviate from that, you have to have a very good reason. The report gave people a transparent account of what went on. We put people in position to make their own judgments about the behavior that went on. That certainly has happened over the last month.

"The idea of an asterisk or asking for a piece of metal back seems like a futile act. People will always know that something was different about the 2017 season, and whether we made that decision right or wrong, we undertook a thorough investigation, and had the intestinal fortitude to share the results of that investigation, even when those results were not very pretty."

Manfred told Ravech that any discipline of the players likely would have resulted in grievances from the Major League Baseball Players Association, citing Luhnow's failure to communicate to the Astros' players the contents of a 2017 memorandum outlining MLB's policy on the use of technology.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28714873/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-defends-punishment-astros?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9264 on: February 19, 2020, 03:47:43 am »
Manfred actually called the WS trophy a piece of metal :o which he's apologised for, he really should resign or be fired.
#Sausages

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9265 on: February 19, 2020, 11:53:38 am »
Mike Trout is even complaining about Manfred now

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9266 on: February 19, 2020, 02:28:50 pm »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9267 on: February 26, 2020, 03:13:16 pm »
Extremely excited about Nate Pearson for the Jays. There'll be a limit on him this season but he could become our ace very quickly.

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9268 on: February 29, 2020, 03:15:24 pm »
If anyone here plays fantasy baseball i have a $50 league that starts drafting on Tuesday (4 hours per pick on fantrax, you get email alerts when you're up and there is a queue function).

Full details: https://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/801776-6x6-weekly-roto-50-re-draft/

You can message or email me your fantrax username/email and i can add you directly.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9269 on: March 19, 2020, 09:03:40 pm »
TJ surgery for Chris Sale. 100 odd million up in smoke you say?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9270 on: June 9, 2020, 12:48:53 pm »
MLB had a fucking free hit here to dominate television and it looks like the NBA will get in before them.  MLB's latest offer

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
ESPN has obtained a copy of MLB’s proposal today to the players. Here are the pertinent details: - 76-game season - $1,431,716,000 in potential compensation (75% of the full prorated salary of $1,909,436 over 76 games) - Up to 8 playoff teams per league (at MLB’s discretion)

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
- No qualifying offer for 2020. Teams that lose free agents receive draft pick for players who sign multiyear deals at $35M+ or one-year deals at $17.8M+. Teams that sign those FA do not lose draft picks - Spring training 2.0 lasts 21+ days - Season starts ~July 10, ends Sept. 27

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
Salary breakdown to get to the $1.431 billion number: - 50% of prorated salaries over 76 games: $954,718,000 - Payment to players if postseason happens: $393,000,000 - Bonus pool for postseason teams to split up: $50,000,000 - Forgiveness on $170M advance: $33,998,000

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
- Players deemed "high risk individuals" can opt out of the 2020 season and retain their salaries and service time. Players not deemed high risk would receive neither salary nor service.

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
Who are high-risk individuals? From MLB COVID-19 manual: "Some individuals may be more likely to suffer severe illness as a result of COVID-19 than others. ... Individuals who, by virtue of their age or medical history, are at a materially higher risk ... of complications."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9271 on: June 24, 2020, 03:19:18 am »
Baseball to return. Three week training camp. Likely start to the season will be July 23/24. 60 game season
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:22:33 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9272 on: June 24, 2020, 05:41:47 pm »
I've just seen a picture of the Rangers new ball park.  Yeah.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9273 on: June 24, 2020, 05:44:52 pm »
Looks like a giant supermarket from above. The Ballpark at Arlington wasn't even that old and had plenty of charm. Biggest problem was the heat

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9274 on: June 24, 2020, 05:45:36 pm »
they can piss-off with the DH in the National League  :no

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9275 on: June 24, 2020, 09:08:23 pm »
Shi Davidi@ShiDavidi
Multiple #BlueJays players and staff have tested positive for COVID-19, per source.

they can piss-off with the DH in the National League  :no

Yep. They can fuck off with that

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9276 on: June 25, 2020, 12:41:08 am »
https://sports.yahoo.com/world-series-odds-mlb-title-190214582.html?guccounter=1

Per Draft Kings - WS favorites

L.A. Dodgers: +375
N.Y. Yankees: +400
Houston Astros: +650
Atlanta Braves: +1300
Minnesota Twins: +1600
Tampa Bay Rays: +1800
Washington Nationals: +1800
N.Y. Mets: +2000
Philadelphia Phillies: +2000
St. Louis Cardinals: +2000

4 of the top 10 from the NL East?  :o

Watch the Marlins improbably win it all.  ;D
King Kenny.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9277 on: June 25, 2020, 12:47:07 am »
You'd think this brings in clubs that were not likely to stay the course. 60 games is nothing really, often teams will start blistering hot and then cool off towards the all-star break or after it.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9278 on: June 25, 2020, 03:21:29 pm »
I've just seen a picture of the Rangers new ball park.  Yeah.

Spencer Hall said it looked like a giant grill, which is probably suitable for Texas.

Brought to you by HKS, the geniuses behind the cancer's Stanley Park metallic monstrosity.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9279 on: June 25, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »
:lmao and this cost over a $1 billion. Even the inside has none of Arlington's charm. They should have just domed their old stadium for less

The original plan

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:44:49 pm by rafathegaffa83 »