Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 395138 times)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One of the proposed new stadiums.. /gulp

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:11:34 pm by 24/Swans-a-7ing »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:39 pm »
That's what a shit load of oil get's ya.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:13:58 pm »
It is all nice & good doing a design on Autocad, it is just a whole different matter applying it to reality.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:51:26 pm »
So how does fan segregation work where there is only one approach road?

And the evacuation plan if there is a terrorist attack - swim for it? You can't put that many people in one place and have only one way in and out.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:11 pm »
meh
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:08 pm »

And the evacuation plan if there is a terrorist attack - swim for it? You can't put that many people in one place and have only one way in and out.

There's probably an invisible bridge. Or the water's not actually water. Or the water's actually water, but not wet. Or there's an underground tunnel on the opposite side. Or teleportation hubs. Everything's air conditioned. Naturally.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:38 pm »

No women, no gays, no alcohol, 50C in the shade....

Why would they need segregation???

The whole thing is mental, absolutely ridiculous to hold it there.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »
Good lord, How hot will it be when the world cup is on? It will be the slowest world cup in history. 100 yard sprint and the players will collapse.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:26 pm »
This will be the biggest joke of a tournament since the Junta won it in 1978. June to September in Qatar is pretty much 30-40 degrees every day.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »
This will be the biggest joke of a tournament since the Junta won it in 1978. June to September in Qatar is pretty much 30-40 degrees every day.

Men and women can't hold hands walking down the road I think, beer is banned! Going to be a hoot.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 08:08:01 pm »

Away fans have to arrive via boat.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
At least 1 player will die on the pitch if this takes place in the Summer. If RAWK is still around in 2022 you can quote me

Forget humidity and temperature controlled stadia. It is far too hot to hold a tournament like that in +40*C heat.

And thats not even going into the cultural differences.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:28:16 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »
At least 1 player will die on the pitch if this takes place in the Summer.

Forget humidity and temperature controlled stadia. It is far too hot to hold a tournament like that in +40*C heat

What was the temperature like in the US 1994? Wasn't it similar? At least in Texas..
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:29:55 pm »
I stil can't see this going ahead, it's fucking madness, can't get my head around it. Even in the world of 'money talks', it's mental.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:31:01 pm »
What was the temperature like in the US 1994? Wasn't it similar? At least in Texas..

Its the humidity. Will be in the high 80%'s

Whole different game back then

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:32:24 pm »
It will go ahead because FIFA wont allow people to think that the voting was corrupt.

It'll be in December and every league will have to change to accommodate it

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:53 pm »
No beer, no cheering on the streets no nothing, definitely will be the worst world cup ever.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »
Its the humidity. Will be in the high 80%'s

Whole different game back then

The matches played in Orlando were murder back in 94, I remember one Ireland played there with over 40°C and over 95% humidity. Also playing the final at noon in Pasadena was not the brightest idea.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:29 pm »
Didn't they even introduce short breaks for the players to drink water? I seem to remember something like that...

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »
What's the temperature like in the evening and night? Will be the best solution to their blindingly stupid problem.

They'll end up having the matches at 7,9 and 11 in the night I reckon.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »
Found the following from David Hills excellent "Said and Done" column funny, if not at all surprising...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/18/said-and-done-fifa-mauritius

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 09:08:39 pm »
Also the quality of football might suffer as well. International teams in general are not very well known for high quality football currently but if its hot and humid you can bet that players would be even less bothered

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:20:58 pm »
Absolute bastards FIFA are, they need to be held to task by the football world.

We had the potential for UK 2018, USA or Australia 2022.

Now we've got fucking Russia where there will be utter chaos, especially for African fans in certain areas, and Qatar where there's no alcohol, strict laws and ridiculous weather.

I heard rumours of "quarters" rather than halfs
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 10:02:20 pm »
Australia would have been fucking boss. I actually might have made the trip down under for that. Absolutely nothing about this tournament stands out as feasible or logical. Fifa are going to have a right fucking mess on their hands if they force the league's to reschedule their entire competitions.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »
This will go down in history as the worst WC ever. Only a few rich fans will make it across with the rest of stadia filled up with fat sheikhs, passive locals and daytrippers from Dubai, only out to watch the big stars. Can't see any carnival type atmosphere in city centres with big screens.

What an utter crock of shit this will be.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:37 pm »
Absolute bastards FIFA are, they need to be held to task by the football world.

We had the potential for UK 2018, USA or Australia 2022.

Now we've got fucking Russia where there will be utter chaos, especially for African fans in certain areas, and Qatar where there's no alcohol, strict laws and ridiculous weather.

I heard rumours of "quarters" rather than halfs
Russia will be fine.

They love football there and bringing the game to them will open their eyes to some other cultures more.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 11:07:50 pm »
Russia will be fine.

They love football there and bringing the game to them will open their eyes to some other cultures more.

Agree. Russia deserves a World Cup as much as us or Spain - that's not saying there isn't a lot of work to be done, but the same could be said of Brazil which has enormous infrastructure problems.

The Qatar World Cup is a joke, and if I was one of the other countries that lost out in the voting (USA, Australia, Japan, South Korea) I would be tempted to boycott. Safest thing to do for their players anyway.

It'll happen in the winter because there is simply no way they can guarantee the safety of players and fans in the summer heat. And there'll be a terrible, sterile atmosphere.

FIFA is a joke.

Offline wackojackouk

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 12:08:07 am »
I'd actually love it if the main leagues in Europe especially told them (FIFA) where to go and/or the clubs refused to release their players in the middle of the season

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 09:55:09 am »
russia is fine.

looking forward to it
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00:42 am »
russia? coloured individuals shall not be bother to come support/play?

moaning about the heat in qatar?  they will sprinkle the sea water in the stadium :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 10:33:53 am »
Qatar 2022 is when football as we know it will come to an end, no exaggeration. Quarters instead of halves? A World Cup in December, forcing teams to abandon their league? No chance. FIFA have been paid out by Qatar, completely corrupt.

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:54 am »
Isn't the point of the world cup is actually hosting it all around the world? ;)

I'm saying that even though I do think Qatar getting it was shady.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:36 am »
Isn't the point of the world cup is actually hosting it all around the world? ;)

I'm saying that even though I do think Qatar getting it was shady.

The point of a world cup is the football. If a host necessitates compromising that, it is the wrong host.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:02 pm »
The World Cup should be in Merseyside. No summer heat is guaranteed. That fancy stadium is easy thing, just dig a channel from the Mersey and flood the Anfield and Everton area, most of the houses around the stadiums are boarded up anyway.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 1, 2013, 10:43:04 pm »
Sepp Blatter says homosexuality is a 'moral and ethical' issue.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said Qatar's stance on homosexuality is a "moral and ethical" issue.

Homosexuality is illegal in the Gulf state, due to host the 2022 World Cup.

Fifa has passed tough new sanctions to clamp down on racism and all forms of discrimination within the game.

But asked about gay fans and players hoping to attend in 2022, Blatter said: "What you are speaking about, I do not think it is part of racism, perhaps this is going into ethics and morals."

He continued: "This, I think, is not the time being to bring it now. If you bring it to my attention then I should have a look on that.
"But I cannot give you a definite answer."

Blatter has previously drawn criticism on the issue. Asked in December 2010 to give advice to gay fans wishing to attend the tournament, he said: "I'd say they should refrain from any sexual activities."

The 77-year-old later apologised for his comments.

Blatter also risked criticism for comments made while congratulating the new female members of the Fifa executive committee, who were elected on Friday.

Lydia Nsekera, president of the Burundi Football Association, became the first woman to be handed a full four-year term on the powerful executive committee when she won a vote at the Fifa congress in Mauritius.

The other candidates, Asian Football Confederation vice-president Moya Dodd and Concacaf representative Sonia Bien-Aime, were co-opted to the committee for a one-year period.

During his closing remarks, Blatter appealed for a round of applause for the trio, adding: "Are there ladies in the room? Say something! You are always speaking at home, now you can speak here."

Blatter had earlier described Dodd as a "good looking" candidate.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22740113

Soft shite.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2013, 10:47:26 pm by CornerFlag »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 1, 2013, 10:56:54 pm »
They can play at night (matches IMO will start after 6 o'clock like a format of 6:00, 8:10, 10:00) in air conditioned stadiums. Mind you it will be a shit world cup with bad atmosphere and no fanzones, the football will be slow & dire to say the least.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #36 on: June 1, 2013, 11:12:34 pm »
Blatter the bellend. Qatar should never of got it with their views on sexuality.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 1, 2013, 11:38:30 pm »
Racism is obviously not a moral or political issue then. Knobhead.

Oil barons got a lof of money invested in football in different countries, no doubt a fair amount of money invested in the World Cup too.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #38 on: June 1, 2013, 11:40:25 pm »
One of the proposed new stadiums.. /gulp

Alan X will not like this. Not one bit.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 1, 2013, 11:42:29 pm »
Other than Doha which other towns/cities can host games? Don't you need at least 10 different sites for a world cup?