Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 393785 times)

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2013, 08:52:58 am »
World Cup's are rare.

Can't root for it to be a failure.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2013, 09:28:00 am »
Can see this being the seed of European clubs forming their own governing body and breaking away from FIFA/UEFA thus having no obligation to send their players to international competitions anymore.

It is a real farce. How holding the World Cup in Qatar is better for the players & fans instead of holding it in any of South Korea, Japan, Australia or the United States is beyond me? Any of those countries would be capable of organizing a World Cup if it was going to be held tomorrow, Qatar on the other hand  :butt :butt
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2013, 09:31:41 am »
An absolute farce but massively unsurprising. I'm intrigued to how it works though, can FIFA just dictate to leagues throughout the world when they must set aside a gap for a World Cup or will it take agreement from all? It'd only take a few leagues to refuse and the plans begin to become a shambles.

Also, I'm intrigued as to how, for example, the English leagues will structure themselves for this. I'd assume they'd want as big a gap as possible (assuming they qualify mind you) to 'ensure the boys bring it back home', so could we see a league finish in say, July and then resume just a couple of weeks later with no chance for pre-season...? What about the £££ tours as well? Hmmmm...

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2013, 09:35:44 am »
I don't know how Blatter is going to sell the idea of winter tournament to the European leagues as it clashes with the domestic calendar. I'm particularly  curious as surely the European leagues must make up a large amount of the revenues for Fifa outside WC years and the big clubs won't be happy that their domestic and CL campaigns will be disrupted by players going to the WC, especially given how financially important these campaigns are. I can see trouble for Fifa ahead.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:13 am »
I see the posters above beat me too it :-)

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
Play it in the mids of winter....that will make the ''folk-fest'' for blatter and co easier. Small detail though Sepp, the majority of fans will be watching the games with alcohol free beer in a Fifa Sponsered Public Viewing area freezing their fuckin arses off at stupid o^clock!!!!

Brazil...if it happens will be hot, as was South Africa, U.S. Spain, Mexico/Italy and basically the majority of most places on our little blue planet that host the beautifuls' game main tournement.

But fucking Qater????

Winter World Cup? Go Sepp.....even you and your cronies haven't got enough cash to fuck up my Christmas fixture list.

In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:36 am »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2013, 10:22:25 am »
I just love just how much shit this will put on the FA and premier league. Having premiership football in the Summer here will be nice though.

But we are going to have major issues when it comes to things like a transfer window and contracts. How would you switch back to the normal off-season after the world cup is over. We'll have players playing from August to October then world cup October/November, then back to play the remainder of the season ending in June/July with only a couple of weeks before the 2023 season starts.

Its a clusterfuck.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:31 am »
Same Blatter who intimated that Brazil may have been the wrong choice due to the current social protests.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-says-brazil-might-be-wrong-choice-to-host-2014-world-cup/story-e6frf423-1226681193867#.UeetvxbKauU

That's pretty bad. Nothing must ruin it for the sponsors though so you can see his point.... Love the passion which Romario shows when putting the case against FIFA:

"The money spent on the Mane Garrincha stadium in Brasilia could be used to build 150,000 houses for low income families," said Romario, who says he is speaking as "Romario the Brazilian" rather than as a footballer or politician.

"But no, we spent 1.5 billion reais on a stadium. Is it beautiful? Yes. Is it practical? Not really. But another thing is that after the Confederations Cup, some things will have to be re-done, because they didn't work out, and a few new things will have to be added for the World Cup."

"The real president of our country is FIFA," he added. "FIFA comes to our country and sets up a state within a state.

"FIFA will make a profit of four billion reais which should provide one billion in tax, but they will not pay anything. They come, set up the circus, they don't spend anything and they take everything with them."
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:53 am »
Same Blatter who intimated that Brazil may have been the wrong choice due to the current social protests.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-says-brazil-might-be-wrong-choice-to-host-2014-world-cup/story-e6frf423-1226681193867#.UeetvxbKauU

He's already learned this lesson. Pesky democracies where people protest? Won't be any of that in Russia or Qatar.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2013, 10:49:10 am »

Speaking via video link, the head of Qatar's organising committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi, told the conference in Austria: "If it's a wish of the football community to have the World Cup in winter, then we are open to that."

Who exactly is the 'football community' he speaks of here? Have any fans been asked what their wishes are? Have any national associations been asked what their wishes are? Have any players been asked what their wishes are? Load of fucking bullshit. Money money fucking money.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:04 am »
Play it in the mids of winter....that will make the ''folk-fest'' for blatter and co easier. Small detail though Sepp, the majority of fans will be watching the games with alcohol free beer in a Fifa Sponsered Public Viewing area freezing their fuckin arses off at stupid o^clock!!!!

Brazil...if it happens will be hot, as was South Africa, U.S. Spain, Mexico/Italy and basically the majority of most places on our little blue planet that host the beautifuls' game main tournement.

But fucking Qater????

Winter World Cup? Go Sepp.....even you and your cronies haven't got enough cash to fuck up my Christmas fixture list.

You have to wonder whether the old bollock even cares, I mean without sounding disrespectfull will Blatter even be alive (let alone FIFA president) in 2022? is he just lining his pockets now and leaving a poisoned chalice for the next incumbent to have to deal with.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 05:12:49 pm »

Gah! have a more odious bunch of wankers ever governed the game than the ones mentioned here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23456671

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 06:26:25 pm »
The fact is, Qatar won their bid for 2022 as a summer event, so I'm not sure why Fifa are bending over backwards and pushing for a Winter world cup. Surely, if the temperatures were going to be an issue they should not have won the right to host the World Cup at all? But Fifa are a law unto themselves really.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »
Quite interesting this.

FIFA/UEFA know that the FA are deeply unpopular and want to move back into the fold of the football family.

So, who do they put pressure on most to accept a winter world cup?  The FA.

The FA will have to be silly not to realise that accepting this would be major major kudos with FIFA giving exactly the kind of approval that they need.

Very clever from FIFA
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »
The fact is, Qatar won their bid for 2022 as a summer event, so I'm not sure why Fifa are bending over backwards and pushing for a Winter world cup. Surely, if the temperatures were going to be an issue they should not have won the right to host the World Cup at all? But Fifa are a law unto themselves really.
Because there has never been any intention of holding a summer world cup in Qatar and a good number of FIFA's yeomen have got a wheelbarrow load of Qatari dosh hidden under the bed or in a Swiss bank.

England should just tell them to fuck off. There can be no contract or mandate to play in a winter World Cup so let it be the boiling hot farce that FIFA's bent bastards deserve.

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:11 pm »
Quite interesting this.

FIFA/UEFA know that the FA are deeply unpopular and want to move back into the fold of the football family.

The FA will have to be silly not to realise that accepting this would be major major kudos with FIFA giving exactly the kind of approval that they need.

Very clever from FIFA

The Premier League =/= The FA

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 06:46:23 pm »
"But from a common sense and especially a health point of view, (a winter World Cup) is something I would dearly love to see "

Sorry, who would love to see that exactly? I don't want to see it and I'm sure 99% of people on here don't want to see it.

You'd mess up the UEFA European fixtures & Premier League Fixtures for a season either side of the tournament having to fit the schedule to suit them before it could go back to normal.

Just give it to a sensible country you bunch a money grabbing c*nts

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:14 pm »
Quite interesting this.

Very clever from FIFA

But the premier league isn't the FA. Why would the premier league bend over to accommodate FIFA in 2022? the european clubs are only currently committed to staying with UEFA  until 2018, they could easily make things difficult from then on. And what about qualification? that would have to start earlier and further disrupt the calendar. Ultimately it will be the tv money that decides if the PL will play ball.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »
FA and premier league are heavily linked.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 10:03:34 pm »
I'm sure I read a while back that Germany were fully against changing it to winter.

If the FA and Germany can convince the Spanish and Italians to boycott (or be completely against it) surely it can't go ahead?

What a disaster

Offline Redaldinho

• Kopite
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »
Is there a clause in the contract.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:23 pm »
No Offence. But what has Qatar in Footballing pedigree, as compared to Germany, Italy, England, USA to warrant a WC location AND having to shift the competition to winter?

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:08 pm »
I'm sure I read a while back that Germany were fully against changing it to winter.

If the FA and Germany can convince the Spanish and Italians to boycott (or be completely against it) surely it can't go ahead?

What a disaster
I'm not sure if FIFA will care.

UEFA will back it in the winter because Platini want the FIFA job.  He won't give a toss what the countries want
W

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2013, 05:06:42 pm »

What a disaster

Most of the European leagues have a winter break, so it wouldn't take too much of a tweak to the fixture list to squeeze a world cup in. I'd guess that some of those clubs might even prefer a longer Summer the following year too for proper Pre-season prep and lucrative tours.

Indeed the more I think about this- the more I can see it becoming a regular occurrence. A summer World Cup in Europe every 8 years, a winter world cup in a hot country every 8 years.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »
No Offence. But what has Qatar in Footballing pedigree, as compared to Germany, Italy, England, USA to warrant a WC location AND having to shift the competition to winter?

They've got loads of cash to give back-handers.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2013, 05:26:52 pm »
Most of the European leagues have a winter break, so it wouldn't take too much of a tweak to the fixture list to squeeze a world cup in. I'd guess that some of those clubs might even prefer a longer Summer the following year too for proper Pre-season prep and lucrative tours.

Indeed the more I think about this- the more I can see it becoming a regular occurrence. A summer World Cup in Europe every 8 years, a winter world cup in a hot country every 8 years.

Can't see our League being too happy with it with the Chrsistmas program, the TV money etc...seems like there's too many parties involved to come to some sort if agreement, and each country will have their own issues.

I know in rugby they just get on with it and continue with the League simultaneously but I just can't see it happening in football.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »
Good summary and timeline highlighting Blatter's hypocrisy - amongst others - at https://twitter.com/changeFIFA
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Blimey, its a bit hot in Qatar!
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2013, 08:43:27 am »
Couldn't make it up - R5 to Dyke:
"Why do you think the world cup was given to Qatar?"
 ::)
Full story:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23640800

Winter world cup my arse

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:05:02 am by Red Raw »

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
Re: Blimey, its a bit hot in Qatar!
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »
Couldn't make it up - R5 to Dyke:
"Why do you think the world cup was given to Qatar?"
 ::)
Full story:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23640800

Winter world cup my arse

Because they gave the most money to blatter

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2013, 01:43:46 pm »
Da fuq is this.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2013, 01:45:30 pm »
Winter world cup ? Great idea.

Just move it to Australia.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2013, 02:37:32 pm »
England won't be bothering I don't think, mind you who would know the difference?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2013, 02:39:03 pm »
More proof if any were needed that footie as we used to love it is fooked.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2013, 03:06:43 pm »
I hope FIFA moves the World Cup somewhere else, Qatar files a massive court case against them and they win. That'll teach those corrupt old bastards.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2013, 03:30:07 pm »
surely this has shown everyone(if they already didn't know) that a voting process for a world cup is just an auction. if this heat is such an issue it would have been taken into account years ago and subsequently not chosen to host a world cup. what really pisses me off is that blatter will be dead by that world cup anyway so he wont even live to see the trouble this will cause
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »
I wonder if they'll end up taking it off Qatar? 2022 is still a long way away.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2013, 10:50:58 pm »
I wonder if they'll end up taking it off Qatar? 2022 is still a long way away.
sadly I honestly can't see FIFA going back on their decision. Boycott the World Cup I say
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2013, 10:56:20 pm »
sadly I honestly can't see FIFA going back on their decision. Boycott the World Cup I say

They've done it before with Colombia in 1986 with far less of a time-frame to pull the tournament.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »
For a while now I have totally fell out of love with the World Cup thanks to FIFA.
I guess the final straw for me was the last one when they stopped the local South Africans being able to make some money by serving  local food outside the grounds....
These old corrupt twats aren't interested in the sport or countries having some sort of legacy or the local community seeing the games cheap,it's all about how much the FIfFA/UEFA family can cream off for themselves.
And now it's going o affect the people who keep the game going grass root put fans having their football fucked about just to suit them
And what's worse is why are they are  suddenly saying its going to be too hot to play in.....like it was kept secret from them before they picked Qatar