How many Irish come to Anfield?

Less than 1,000
3 (12.5%)
1,000-2,500
10 (41.7%)
2,500+
11 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Irish in Anfield  (Read 8954 times)

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
Irish in Anfield
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:33:06 pm »
Liverpool are the best supported team in Ireland imo. Man Utd possibly have a bigger following, but most of their "fans", couldn't care less how they get on on a Saturday.

Wondering how many Irish ye think are in Anfield every other week?

I'd go 3/4k. I mean if you consider flights from dub, cork, shannon, belfast, derry to liverpool and manchester, thats 6 routes already. Every time I go the plane is packed. Thats 200 odd people on each flight, could have 3 flights like that day of/before game. Factor in ferries from belfast, dublin and rosslare and you have another couple of hundred easily. I'd say more than 1 in 20 in Anfield are Irish. Thats 2k at least, probably more. We're a sports mad country.

The die hard Irish supporters live and breathe the club. And there's a lot of us. Every school, college, village, city in Ireland has a Liverpool supporter. Guaranteed. Spend 15 mins in any major city and you'll spot LFC gear. Many car windows are plastered with LFC stickers etc.

As I've said on there before, some of the "tourists" or fans from abroad make a big effort to get there and often contribute more to the atmosphere than many of the English or more local people. This could be down to the fact that the locals are not the correct type of locals but that's a different debate

Anyway, how many Irish do ye think come over every weekend?
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline joeflfc

• Kemlynite
  • March 15th 1892 was a great year LFC where born!!!
Re: Irish in Anfield
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »
Could anyone recommend accommodation for 2 friends and myself for the United Game on The 14th Oct Weekend Cheers
Liverpool Football Club are an English professional football club based in Liverpool, Merseyside. Liverpool play in the Premier League, and are the most successful club in the history of English football. Lfc YNWA * * * * *

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:30:14 pm »
As I've recently learned the hard way - you should have booked something earlier. I got a Travelodge in Liverpool city centre for an eye watering amount on the Saturday when we're scheduled to play Burnley  cos everything else is booked up.

To answer your question though, the Liner hotel is alright but I think Airbnb is your best choice, it'll be expensive though.

Offline joeflfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:37:17 pm »
We had to wait really until times and dates were confirmed as over the past coming from Belfast for games with my Family I've had to stay an extra few days because of change of last minute Games from Sat to Sun Etc so we waited and suffered a little because everywhere seems booked out because its a grade A game
Liverpool Football Club are an English professional football club based in Liverpool, Merseyside. Liverpool play in the Premier League, and are the most successful club in the history of English football. Lfc YNWA * * * * *

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:48 pm »
Get the boat. Blocked on the way over. Few hours sleep. Blocked when you get there. Home. No fucking around with hotels needed.

There's plenty of places to stay if you look hard enough. B&Bs etc.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline joeflfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 07:42:34 pm »
No recommendations BarneyLfc ?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »
No recommendations BarneyLfc ?

It's been a while since I stayed over apart from a weekend last year in Apple apartments. Have got the boat more often than not. I've rarely stayed in the same place more than once. Newsham Guest House is a good spot though although haven't stayed there in years.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:35:22 am »
Get the boat. Blocked on the way over. Few hours sleep. Blocked when you get there. Home. No fucking around with hotels needed.

There's plenty of places to stay if you look hard enough. B&Bs etc.

Thats how I like to do Barney, over and back with accomodation as it's getting to the stage where I'm being priced out living here. The Mrs prefers to stay over so when she goes thats what we do, but in the last couple of years 3 kids and a mortgage have halted the trips, but I'm going hopefully to at least one game this year, over and back.

I remember sleeping in John Lennon airport a couple times waiting on flights, went to the game, went out on the town, got a taxi to the airport and took first flight home!  ;D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd