Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107402 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2015, 02:56:52 pm »
So white orchard is a smallish are, that leads to the main map?

White Orchid is tiny compared to the next place you go. I haven't progressed further than the next map though.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2015, 04:18:05 pm »
Managed another 45 minutes or so last night, really trying to not to play the game in such short bursts as it breaks any immersion IMO.

But I
Spoiler
defeated the griffin in white orchard, and had a little roam around.  Found those ghoul like creatures at a ? on the map, came out of nowhere the bastards.
[close]

Loving this game and can't wait to have a few hours free to give it a decent session.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2015, 05:40:33 pm »
Honestly it's one of the most visually stunning games I have ever played. Little things just make it worth while.

Still annoyed at the lack of repairs though, and I run out of money faster than a gambling addict on a sure thing.

buy repair kits from the quartermaster in the garrison near white orchard, meditate for a few hours to refresh his stock

money is quite easy to make if you don't mind doing a bit of farming

Spoiler
early game you can make money selling animal skins & meat, either run round looking for deer, horses, hares & wolves (if there's wolves in the area look for the red crosses on the mini map as they'll be animals killed by the wolves that you can loot) just use igni on the deer, horses & hares as it'll one shot them plus you're not degrading your weapons, you're not in combat so you don't need to wait for it to recharge, or you can go to the area near the inn in white orchard, there's a merchant (the fella with the bowl haircut you save from the griffin) near him are a couple of cows and a few geese, kill them with igni and loot them then sell the stuff to bowl head, meditate for a few hours and rinse and repeat

if you've beaten the griffin and opened up the other areas go to Novigrad (don't bother getting the pass just swim over) and look for a large square, you know when you're in the right area as you get a cut scene of a couple of people being burnt, there's a merchant in this area with a fish stall, buy all the shells and sea shells, you can just back out to the dialogue options then check his items again as they restock instantly no need to exit fully out or meditate, then look for an alcove with a blacksmith's stall (it's near the 2 fires) get him to dismantle the shells which gives you pearls & black pearls, sell as many as you can to the blacksmith then meditate to refresh his gold, there's also a loan shark here who doesn't pay as much as the blacksmith but his gold replens a lot faster, i've made about 15k doing this
[close]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:36:52 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »
That's some write up thanks!

Seems too much like WoW to do that with the farming ;)

The repair kits i've been buying and using. Also been winning a few games of Gwent which is always fun.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2015, 06:22:32 pm »
also once you buy some better weapons they don't seem to degrade as fast as the starting weapons

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »
also once you buy some better weapons they don't seem to degrade as fast as the starting weapons

Yeah noticed that as well, i'm now on level 5 weapons and they are definitely lasting longer.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »
There's a mod out (PC only) which removes the weight cap for your inventory
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36n88x/witcher_3_weight_limit_mod/

Always been a gripe as the inventory management becomes a huge headache, was the same in Witcher 2.

Got a busy week coming up so I'm trying not to start it right now :(

Game looks phenomenal though, only have a R9 270X and it handles everything on high at 1080p (capped at 30fps). They've done an amazing job with making such an immerive world.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:01:22 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2015, 07:08:17 pm »
Only once I got to the point of over encumbrance with default capacity of 60. Then I bought a saddle bag which increased carrying capacity to 90, seems more than enough.

Also I am constantly broke, never had more than 600 gold :(

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2015, 09:33:21 pm »
Only once I got to the point of over encumbrance with default capacity of 60. Then I bought a saddle bag which increased carrying capacity to 90, seems more than enough.

Also I am constantly broke, never had more than 600 gold :(

read my post further up, can make a few thousand pretty quickly using the method in Novigrad

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2015, 04:56:29 am »
Still can't get over how good this looks, not even using ultra settings.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:05:31 am by Kashinoda »

Offline MC14

• I apologise for my terrible hair, clothes and glasses
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2015, 06:51:43 am »
Great game, anyone else have it on Xbox one?

There is so much to learn and do.

Only thing that annoys me is the loading time after you die :/

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2015, 10:04:16 am »

Only thing that annoys me is the loading time after you die :/

Great way to stop this !

dont die as much  ;) :D

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2015, 11:06:53 am »
They'll probably address the load times in a future patch, like FromSoft did with Bloodborne. They're already working on fixing the small text on consoles.

Not overly impressed with this growing trend of releasing games before they're actually done, but it seems like developers are happy to release games with a variety of bugs and fix them with patches later, assuming that everyone playing has an internet connection and not giving a shit about the rest.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2015, 11:30:30 am »
How in the hell do you stop a werewolf regenerating?

Can't find the book to get the bestiary entry on it.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2015, 11:34:12 am »
How in the hell do you stop a werewolf regenerating?

Can't find the book to get the bestiary entry on it.

Just found this mate

Preperation: Put Cursed Oil your silver sword and put a protective barrier on yourself. Potions I reccomend are Swallow for HP regen and Thunderbolt for when you burst down the Werewolf. Using grenades other than silverdust will just get yourself killed because he's too fast. If you want to be able to see everything better pop Cat for night vision.

Strategy: The Werewolf will regenerate HP very quickly so you need to deal with the small wolves first. Keep very mobile and quick attack them after they strike. After their dealt with pop Thunderbolt and Swallow if you have them and just start bursting him down with quick attacks and Igni(Fire Sign), you need to make this fight a very short one because if you let up for even a few seconds his HP regen will start to heal him immensely. Good luck Witchers.

P.S. Don't let him do what he wants to do after you weaken him or you don't get most of his loot ;)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »
Cursed oil....how the hell do you make it? XD

Spent a good hour or so last night trying to find that but at the minute, i can only make spectre and necrophage oil.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »
To be honest, that's what probably annoys me most about the Witcher-series and the reason why I can't be arsed upping the difficulty. I can't be arsed with all the potion- or oil-shite. When I get into a fight, I don't want to think about whether Geralt is wearing the right underpants or has the right oil on his blade to defeat the enemy. Which is a shame, because CD Project definitely know how to tell nice stories...

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »
The most brilliantly frustrating game I have played in a long long time.

Fighting bandits get stuck on some unseen root, get surrounded die. Repeat. Grrr

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2015, 04:29:01 pm »
Cursed oil....how the hell do you make it? XD

Spent a good hour or so last night trying to find that but at the minute, i can only make spectre and necrophage oil.

there's a quest in white orchard which gives you the formula, don't think you can make it without but off the top of my head i think the ingredients are 1 dog tallow & 4 wolfsbane

you can buy it from the witch once you've done that quest though

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2015, 04:39:30 pm »
Does anyone know what this means? It's like an @ sign with dots all around it?!

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2015, 05:08:47 pm »
This game is phenomenal (saying this after completing two lvl 6 quests - rat tower and crones - holy shit they are fantastic and
Spoiler
it's very to get fooled into choosing a 'worse' outcome
[close]

However the controls suck drowner's arse. Especially underwater, I almost broke my controller trying to loot a chest located in some lake  :no

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2015, 06:36:30 pm »
Probably a long shot but here goes...

When I first visited the 'Inn at the crossroads', I overheard a man say to his wife, 'Run to the woods, I'll come meet you when I can' (Or something along those lines). I followed her for a while, but I bumped into a few enemies and ended up losing her. I don't think it's part of any of my current quests, so I wondered if anyone else followed her or know what it's about?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »
there's a quest in white orchard which gives you the formula, don't think you can make it without but off the top of my head i think the ingredients are 1 dog tallow & 4 wolfsbane

you can buy it from the witch once you've done that quest though

Can't find the quest at all mate.
Done all the ? bar the one with the drowners under water (because i'll get my arse kicked,) and no blueprint for it :(

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2015, 09:21:50 pm »
Done all the ? bar the one with the drowners under water (because i'll get my arse kicked,) and no blueprint for it :(

I missed it too. I think it was the quest with the girl at the herbalist's. If you kill the Griffin before you go to the Herbalist's, you never even know about the quest.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2015, 09:48:26 pm »
yeah that's the one

if you missed it do the "hunting a witch" quest in velen which is part of the main story line so you can't miss it, once you've found keira do her quest to find the elf, after that you can go to her hut near midcopse and buy the formula from her
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:54:44 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2015, 11:44:14 pm »
You have to be clever with that one; don't get in a fight with them, just evade them when swimming and nab the treasure they're guarding quick as you can - there's really not much of it to collect. I was still only level 2 or something when I completed that one, just gotta be sneaky (that's actually the best way to approach fights to in this).

Aside from the amazing presentation, the amount of content in this is staggering.
Spoiler
I've just done the mission with the lovely Keira Metz following the trail of the mysterious elf, and managed to beat the arse off one of the mean-looking Wild Hunt bastards in the process. I find you need to be really cautious but opportunistic in these boss battles, and there's also a ridiculous amount of loot on that quest, so had to drop quite a bit that I was thinking of selling. Was about to take the boat to find the bog bitches, zoomed out on the map to have a look whereabout they are, and there's just so much to do just in Velen.
[close]
This'll take years complete 100% if you've got a life of any sort.  :P
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2015, 12:37:18 am »
I've just done that Kiera one, fuck me it's a long mission!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2015, 10:31:03 am »
Serious Read Dead vibe from this. From riding around on my horse to the random npc missions.

Can't wait to sink a session into this - only done a couple of hours so far.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2015, 10:37:28 am »
Serious Read Dead vibe from this. From riding around on my horse to the random npc missions.
Yeah I agree. The random side missions vary nicely, and tell some interesting stories, much like Red Dead. Finished Keira's missions. Worth it at the end!  ;)
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2015, 01:46:29 pm »
Just got some woman her pan back. Hope it hots up soon. Graphics very much Dragon Age Inquisition. Would have preferred something a bit more realistic, also the HUD, powers etc doesn't add to the immersiveness. Still early days.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2015, 01:59:58 pm »
Cursed oil, thunderbolt, 2 levels above the recommended...

...still can't beat the fucking werewolf.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2015, 07:51:18 pm »
The entire Witcher 3 world is 1.5x the size of GTA5

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2015, 09:05:19 pm »
Gave in and got this!

Enjoying so far but the character can be a bit clunky to move around at times, also feel like the main quests are outleveling me!

In the first little town and

Spoiler
Been asked to kill a Griffin that is lvl 3, but i'm still lvl 1 after doing all the available side quests
[close]
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2015, 09:47:53 pm »
Gave in and got this!

Enjoying so far but the character can be a bit clunky to move around at times, also feel like the main quests are outleveling me!

Spoiler
Been asked to kill a Griffin that is lvl 3, but i'm still lvl 1 after doing all the available side quests
[close]

The griffin is easy mate, aslong as you master the roll and dodge, it'll give you no problems.

Just remember to use the Igni sign against it, it helps a shitload.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2015, 10:13:15 pm »
Gave in and got this!

Spoiler
[close]
Fuck I passed on quest coz no money in it. Did find a pan for some woman though...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:20 pm »
The griffin is easy mate, aslong as you master the roll and dodge, it'll give you no problems.

Just remember to use the Igni sign against it, it helps a shitload.

Nice one mate. Forgot you have to be careful in these games, accidentally ran into some graveyard and a level 7 (?) wraith just came outta nowhere and destroyed me  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2015, 10:29:36 pm »
Nice one mate. Forgot you have to be careful in these games, accidentally ran into some graveyard and a level 7 (?) wraith just came outta nowhere and destroyed me  ;D

The grave with the magic stone in te middle? I did the same, went back 4 levels later and twatted the bitch xD

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2015, 11:29:43 pm »
Managed to put a good solid 2 hours into this today and am in love with it.
I have gone to the 2nd area, and it it's huge.

Enjoying the combat, and just being a badass witcher.  The only thing I don't like, is the horse movement.  Feels clunky to me. 

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2015, 11:35:04 pm »
The grave with the magic stone in te middle? I did the same, went back 4 levels later and twatted the bitch xD

Yeah hahaha

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:49 pm »
Yeah I did that too.  It's deffo there on purpose to give you the tutorial tip of "it's alright to run away when mobs are stronger than you".