Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 163865 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2013, 08:12:26 pm »
At first I was thinking great signing, then I realised it was his brother.

Personally can't see the point.  At that age and more than likely on high wages.  I thought the club was meant to be going the other way.  Younger players on lower wages.

But I guess the transfer committee liked him.

I'd have rather seen a younger player brought in and given a chance.

I presume Skrtel or Coates will be off or possibly both.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2013, 08:12:27 pm »
Liverpool today announced an agreement in principle to sign defender Kolo Toure – but how much do you know about the Ivorian? Brush up on your knowledge with our 10 facts about the centre-back.

1. Toure's trophy haul boasts 11 honours, including league titles at all three of his previous clubs - ASEC Mimosas, Arsenal and Manchester City. His other medals came from winning the FA Cup and Community Shield on three occasions each, along with lifting the CAF Super Cup at the age of 18. His first club was named after the inventor of the mimosa, Charlie Mimosa. A mimosa is a cocktail-like drink composed of one part champagne (or other sparkling wine) and one part thoroughly chilled citrus fruit juice, usually orange juice.

2. Kolo is one of three brothers plying their trade in professional football, with his siblings Yaya and Ibrahim playing for Manchester City and Al-Nasr respectively. He had previously played alongside Yaya since the start of the 2010-11 campaign, when his sibling arrived at the Etihad Stadium from Barcelona. Fingers crossed he is more successful than the last defender we signed whose brother was also a professional footballer. If Kolo doesnt work out Liverpool plan to adopt a policy of not signing any defenders who have brothers who are also professional footballers on free transfers.

3. Highlighting his leadership qualities, Toure has captained Arsenal, City and the Ivory Coast national team in his career. While accumulating 105 international caps, the defender has been a runner-up in the Africa Cup of Nations twice and has appeared in five matches at the World Cup. Toure has also found the net six times for his country. This doesnt mean he got six goals, it simply means he located the nets when they went missing on six separate occasions when the absent-minded groundsman forgot where he put them.

4. Toure will become the first Ivorian to join Liverpool in the club's history and becomes the latest player from the African continent to represent the Reds. Moroccan winger Oussama Assaidi was the last African to sign for the club. Kolo is the eighth player Brendan Rodgers has brought to Anfield since being appointed manager in the summer of 2012. As Toure is an Ivorian, we would request that fans keep their eyes out for any Ivorian poachers.

5. Having played as a winger or a striker in the very early stages of his career, Toure reverted to a defensive midfield role before eventually being deployed as a defender.  After initially being a utility player for Arsenal, the 32-year-old consolidated his position at the heart of their defence and has remained a centre-back ever since. He reckoned he'd play as centre-back as he'd have to do less running there. His ambition is to put Pepe under serious pressure as he reckons being a keeper is a piece of piss as keepers have to do close to no running and you get to use your hands.

6. In a quirky twist of fate, Toure made his first-ever Arsenal appearance against Liverpool in the FA Community Shield in 2002 and also donned the Gunners' armband for the first time when facing the Reds in the League Cup five years later. Really not that "quirky" especially when you consider what we know of Francois.

7. Toure will become the fifth player to swap Manchester City for Liverpool, following in the footsteps of Patrick Finnerhan, Matt Busby, Robbie Fowler and Craig Bellamy. The centre-back's free transfer means each of the last three deals have included no money changing hands. Eight players have travelled in the opposite direction, with the most recent being Nigel Clough in January 1996. We couldnt be bothered listing the other seven. Feck em.

8. During his spells with former clubs, the Ivorian clashed with the Reds 21 times - he ran out victorious on 10 occasions, drawing seven times and losing just four matches. The defender found the net against Liverpool once, in a 3-0 defeat to Arsenal in November 2006. This time he did actually score a goal. Bastard.

9. Kolo should not be short of conversation with Australian goalkeeper Brad Jones when he is introduced to the Liverpool squad - the pair share a birthday, March 19. The Ivorian is one year older than his new teammate, however - Toure was born in 1981, while Jones was born in 1982. The aforementioned Nigel Clough also celebrates his birthday on that date - he was born in 1966. I don't like this as it might cause fights as to who gets given the birthday bumps first.

10. Brendan Rodgers will become Toure's fourth different club manager since arriving on English shores, and the fourth different nationality the Ivorian has worked under. Frenchman Arsene Wenger brought the defender to Arsenal, Welshman Mark Hughes signed him for Manchester City, where Italian Roberto Mancini took the reins shortly after. Now Toure will look forward to working with Northern Irishman Rodgers. During his time working as a car salesman, his manager was Crazy Nick from Crazy Nick's House of Cars. Crazy Nick won Best Car Salesman (South West Salford Region) in 1983. Crazy Nick had passports from five different countries.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/10-facts-about-kolo-toure
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:21:11 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2013, 08:13:55 pm »
Welcome to the best club in the world Kolo!  :wave
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:38 pm »
At that age and more than likely on high wages.  I thought the club was meant to be going the other way.  Younger players on lower wages.

The reports last week were of £40k per week. One poster here said £70k with no source, everything else about £130k etc is taking the piss.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
At 32, he's the Ivorian Engine.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2013, 08:16:50 pm »

Personally can't see the point.  At that age and more than likely on high wages.  I thought the club was meant to be going the other way.  Younger players on lower wages.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.... need i say more!!!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2013, 08:17:23 pm »
A totally sensible signing, so am i on the right forum?

Not when he's on £250,000 a fucking week you aren't Geoff. Could have had Messi and Caravaggio for that dough.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:25 pm »

A younger player is already being sought to start ahead of him

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
Not when he's on £250,000 a fucking week you aren't Geoff. Could have had Messi and Caravaggio for that dough.

Bloody hell. His wages seem to be going up by the minute. How much will he be on tomorrow?

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:21 pm »

A wondrous place

Billy Fury
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:49 pm »
WELCOME KOLO YOLO #SWAG 2k10+3 <3

In all seriousness, a good signing, but £400,000 a week is ridiculous.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:59 pm »
Why?

Agger, Johnson, Skrtel, Enrique, Toure, Coates, Kelly, Wisdom, Robinson, Flanagan, McLaughlin, Sama, Jones

We could use one more experienced backup left full back, but that is nothing to go mental about.

I'll tell you what if we bring nobody in I bet you any amount you want that RAWK goes mental.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
I'll tell you what if we bring nobody in I bet you any amount you want that RAWK goes mental.

3p, is that you Mr Keegan
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »
What drugs are you on? hahaha. If he was to get £130,000 a week i'll put my ballsack up for sale on ebay. :)

Has RAWK history taught you nothing? ;)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »
A wondrous place

Billy Fury

It's only make Believe...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2013, 08:22:02 pm »

So you wanted a younger, inexperienced player to step in after we've just lost our most experienced defender to retirement?

Signing Kolo gives our younger defenders a chance to develop without the added pressure of being the only person to call upon. If a yougner defender is struggling to adapt, Kolo can step in and give him advice and of course, help him develop during the game, it's a valuable asset and one that really shouldn't be sniffed at.

He's not world class, but he's a decent stop gap until the younger lads come of age.

The likes of Sama and Wisdom will definately learn alot from the fella due to their build, and hopefully, if we manage to get Papa in then he'll learn an awful lot an all due to his (sometimes) wreckless challenges. kolo should help a lot of the lads out.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2013, 08:22:55 pm »
Bloody hell. His wages seem to be going up by the minute. How much will he be on tomorrow?

We'll be bankrupt by tomorrow. He's earned half a million in the last two hours and it's growing exponentially.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2013, 08:24:38 pm »
Good signing but fucking hell, £400,000 a week and a £6 million signing on fee?! Not convinced he's worth that.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
Welcome and good luck Kolo lad. Hope he'll bring something to the team!

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:48 pm »

And thats before you take into account the 9 million his agent and signing on fee has raped our transfer war chest, looks like we'll be fishing from Wigans relegated players!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:48 pm »
I dont know whats worse, Kolo signing for LFC or my misses making me watch a Ladyboy getting his/her tallywacker being removed!!

Welcome Kolo Toure  ;D

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2013, 08:29:36 pm »
Good signing but fucking hell, £400,000 a week and a £6 million signing on fee?! Not convinced he's worth that.

I heard it was £500,000 a week, £10 million PLUS first option on any car sold by anyone at the club while he's here.  :o

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »
I heard it was £500,000 a week, £10 million PLUS first option on any car sold by anyone at the club while he's here.  :o

Just give him the damn Panamera!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: May 28, 2013, 08:32:43 pm »
How will Kolo survive with £600,000 a week without his earnings from his car dealership?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 28, 2013, 08:33:33 pm »
Won titles everywhere he's gone, which can only mean one thing...
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 28, 2013, 08:33:41 pm »
Worth every penny if the 897 gazillion pounds and 43p a week he'll be earning

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »
I think he'd take the Ford Cortina
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:15 pm »
How will Kolo survive with £600,000 a week without his earnings from his car dealership?

His car dealership earnings go to his fake wife, I believe.

Plus he needs to earn as much as he can before his compulsory retirement age next year.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 28, 2013, 08:36:31 pm »

My source says that negotiations got very tense when the subject of Ayre's Harley came up.

After some very tense moments, Kolo decided to leave the whole area of motorcycles and bicycles alone, as he wants to concentrate on building up his core car business for the moment, saying that further down the line he might look to expand into alternative modes of transport.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:40:06 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2013, 08:38:50 pm »

Although it's a bit tight, the car dealership business ain't what it used to be so he'll be fine with his £850,000 a week I fancy. Might just have shop at Aldi instead.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: May 28, 2013, 08:41:28 pm »
Don't see the point in it but I can see him becoming a cult hero.

Welcome Kolo.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 28, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »
Swiss Toure - Putting up a tent, is... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You rent her, unzip the door, put up your pole an'... slip in to the old bag.

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: May 28, 2013, 08:47:29 pm »
Think this a wise move.

Welcome

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #273 on: May 28, 2013, 08:49:25 pm »
Kolo, oooooh-uh, Kolo, oooooh-uh
He came from Man City
Now works for Ian Skelly

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2013, 08:51:15 pm »
This all depends on his attitude as to whether its a good deal or not. If he still has something to prove and wants to win then it could be a cracking signing, but if he's just here for a payday and the fact he doesnt have to upset the family by leaving the area then it could fall flat on its arse.

On his day he is a very good defender so its a chance worth taking in my book.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »
Swiss Toure - Putting up a tent, is... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You rent her, unzip the door, put up your pole an'... slip in to the old bag.

Swiss Toure - Defending a corner, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. It's vital that you start off from the right position, you have to be aggressive in taking ownership of the box and you must display 100% focus until it's all over.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #276 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
decent signing, brings experience and has won the league. The technical committee have also worked with him from their time at city.

Someone mentioned on twitter that in Thierry Henrys book he spoke about how Kolo used to spend a lot of time with the academy helping out. 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2013, 08:55:37 pm »
Is he going to be backup or a starter?

I suppose it depends on who else we sign and if Skrtel decides to leave.

Place on the bench a youngster could take, I really think this means the end for Coates.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2013, 08:55:44 pm »
Good option signing. Experience and winning mentality. Not a bad start to silly season.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
So you wanted a younger, inexperienced player to step in after we've just lost our most experienced defender to retirement?

Signing Kolo gives our younger defenders a chance to develop without the added pressure of being the only person to call upon. If a yougner defender is struggling to adapt, Kolo can step in and give him advice and of course, help him develop during the game, it's a valuable asset and one that really shouldn't be sniffed at.

He's not world class, but he's a decent stop gap until the younger lads come of age.

The likes of Sama and Wisdom will definately learn alot from the fella due to their build, and hopefully, if we manage to get Papa in then he'll learn an awful lot an all due to his (sometimes) wreckless challenges. kolo should help a lot of the lads out.

fucking hell dont you start talking sense in here not with Kolo on 500K a week, and a second hand car franchise
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway