Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Why Did Shankly Have Our Players Wear Red?  (Read 32220 times)

Offline SA RED

• Anny Roader
Re: Why Did Shankly Have Our Players Wear Red?
« Reply #40 on: January 3, 2007, 09:51:35 am »
oh.............keeeeeeeeeeeeee.........I though it was because neverton wore blue ::)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 3, 2007, 10:36:34 am »
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 3, 2007, 12:18:04 pm »
Although we did indeed first wear red against Anderlecht at the start of the 1964-65 season, the all-red strip was only used in cup competitions that season.  We were in all-red in that season's FA Cup final against Leeds.  However in league games we wore our usual red shirts with white trim, white shorts with red stripe at the side and white socks with red tops.  So it wasn't so much a Shankly brainwave to terrorise the opposition, it was in fact the first of our special kits, exactly mirroring the logic behind the CL shirts we wear for just that competition.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #43 on: January 3, 2007, 10:22:59 pm »
We Are getting there, one game at a time.  ;)

We have fought in the shade long enough, the Red Dawn approaches due to progressive hard work, determination and sheer grit!

We have the right man at the helm, and a more than capable core of athletes, with a determined Captain and squadron of players who truly wish to progress and achieve because of their professional prowess, and not their paypackets!

To play for the Liverbird Upon My Chest and the Red Shirt has now become an honour to do so again! 

:scarf

I think this why Stevie G took a bow to Us the supporters in celebrating his goal and the MBE for all of Liverpool FC!

Confident?

« Last Edit: January 3, 2007, 11:09:22 pm by Socratease »
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 3, 2007, 10:50:36 pm »
I am!

:thumbup

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 3, 2007, 11:30:34 pm »
It was a cold winters day, down at Anfield Road
When Shanks stood at the gates, both proud and bold
we need something in our armour, to put fear and dread
into the enemies of Liverpool, in white and red

so he came up with the idea, plain and true
that his team will play in blood red, through and through
he dressed Yeats in this new kit, so sublime
told reporters to walk 'round colossus, 'take yer time'

and so was born the legend, of the mighty reds
and now millions of children dream, within their beds
of pulling on the jersey, just like big Ron Yeats
And standing proud and tall, beneath the Shankly gates

Nice one!

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 4, 2007, 11:57:26 pm »
A true allegory,

The Gatherer

A Remembrance for the future.

Not that long ago, there was a concern about a couple of children's welfare as a certain young man was struggling to cope after the passing of his wife, their mother.

This young man struggled to cope at work as the oldest was diagnosed as Autistic spectrum and the younger child was showing similar symptoms, and it was thought that he needed an assessment to identify possible support, some 'family' members were quite abrasive in their concerns, but one, it turned out, was quite supportive! 

The Mother's Mother engaged the children in planting a small rose tree in the front garden of their council house. At 6 and 4 years of age, after the funeral, the two young girls helped Gran plant the rose bush for her daughter, while the wake progressed.

Imagine, this is for real, honestly it is!

Imagine, that an autistic 6 year old says to you, 'Hold my hand, come and see ma!'

'Alright, lets go then!' You check with the young Dad.

After all the work already gone through, the young man smiled with a nod to go ahead, as we went to the front garden of this little council house. Being winter it was dark, this village was way out of the influence of city lights.

The kids touched the leaves and then sat quietly. The 6 year old said,'This is Mammy's tree, next to our (stone) cat, Mammy loves cats and flowers! Mammy is a star now, up there, look! See! We can't always see her, it gets cloudy, I can't see Mammy when it's cloudy, Mammy does'nt like rain! But when the clouds are gone I can see my Mammy again!

Look! There's Mammy's star!'

This is a true observation that I will never forget.

The Mother's Mother Gathered everyone together on that day!  ;)

She was The Gatherer.

Think, kids and parents, next time you Gather at Anfield, or around your television screens.

This is written due to the very sad news I received today of a good friend, Tommo 261, who has passed away, God Bless mate, you were there with the Red Men!

:champ :scarf

YNWA

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 5, 2007, 01:05:55 am »
No matter what, he could make you smile.   :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbJeBgvWr2s

Also remember,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiK_lqmtEnI&mode=related&search=

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Last Edit: January 5, 2007, 01:12:34 am by Socratease »

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 6, 2007, 12:50:16 am »
I have to say something about Tommo...

I have known of Tommo's medical problems for just under 2 years. He was a major help in helping my wife through his contacts in holistic medicine on directing us onto fish oils for her Myasthenia Gravis, obviously this is shocking news to her too! I knew his health status was of major concern to the medical professionals - which was not lost upon himself. This was Christmas 2005.

He confided a lot of personal things, which will remain so, and despite everything he went and got a new job in Melbourne but it was'nt going anywhere. In retrospect, he knew he did'nt have much time. I have personally worked with patients who have/had gone through this, and passed on. This has not made taking this news any easier.

He wrote to me that he was off to Vietnam soon, previously he had found a very spiritual and beautiful place, and he wished to return to, in my words, it's serenity. His last e-mail from memory included the words, 'I'm dying here!'! I attempted to write some things from my heart and I tried to reinforce him, and he responded that he was off on another 'Tommo's Travels' soon!  ;)

Tommo did'nt really know us, and we did'nt really know him. He was a tough militarily trained young man, and he loved Liverpool FC to bits! He liked to portray a persona on the message boards consistently well, after his experiences of Heysel it was no wonder he was a staunch supporter of Justice For The 96!

Tommo never wanted to display his human side to the public. He always wanted to challenge - as he had been. No man/woman is without vice or regret. For Tommo, what you saw was what you got, without apology, but there always was an intelligent understanding and antipathy of injustice.

He was a true to heart fan of the tricky Reds, with the Liverbird upon his chest.  :scarf

My deepest condolences to his family.

Rest In Peace, Tommo.

YNWA

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 8, 2007, 10:24:02 pm »
For Welshred.  :(

Socrates

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #50 on: January 9, 2007, 06:55:45 pm »
For Welshred.  :(

Cheers for that Socs, didn't know about Tommo's medical condition and although we had our run ins in the past I wish him a peaceful slumber, RIP Tommo

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 12:15:58 am »
I know you mean that mate!  :thumbup :scarf
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:18:20 am by Socratease »

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2007, 11:58:53 pm »
18th February 2006 :

Well it took eighty-five years to do it, but we knocked out Old Trafford in the FA Cup!  ;D

If you think it was a long time since we won Ol'Big Ears (to keep!), today's achievement definately puts things into perspective, does'nt it?! That 90+ minutes today, wiped away 85 years of angst, and replaced it with pride!  :scarf

Rafael Benitez, at the helm of Liverpool in Istanbul, achieved a superlative success against AC Milan that drove us absolutely wild with joy! In our joy, the majority of posters achnowledged that AC Milan where more than worthy opponents, to succeed against such a competitor on the field of competition made the victory all the sweeter!  ;)

(A quick pointer to the previous match -) Against Arsenal, I sensed a belief from Our Team that they were gelled in their Teamwork. I have'nt seen Liverpool control a match on the pitch with such professionalism since the early eighties. They really did make Arsenal look lack lustre! Our midfield were superb, and we dominated the control of play. We out-classed Arsenal with dignity and prowess.

One game at a time, Rafael Benitez is building. He has been re-building since he joined us. When he began to rebuild when he first joined us, he had to do so with the non-acrimonious departure of Gerrard Houllier and eventually Thommo.

I do not ever doubt the passion that these two men gave to our Club, and still have. Without their hard work we would not have achieved the successes that we achieved in those years. Once, however, GH suffered his heart attack, and Phil had to shepherd the Team day in and week out, everybody on this forum wished GH the best of health. In fact he did come back to us, probably sooner than he should have done after such a major operation, such was his determination and passion for our Liverpool FC.

'Hou, Hou! Who let the Reds Out?!'

The cheers he got from the crowd when he returned were laudable when he returned to the touchline.

If GH, from a basic, to a well thought out appreciation, of the pressures and demands that were needed to advance Liverpool for the then next season are to be considered, it soon becomes clear that despite GH's protestations that he was'nt going any where, actually meant that we had aquired 'someone'. He was not Portugese, but Spanish. GH's departure from the club was emotional for a lot of people, despite mistakes highlighted, without the gains aquired and acknowledged, by some people.

Back to the point. Rafael Benitez actually inherited somebody else's Team. From his point of view he had to work with what was given to him - and start from scratch.
One game at a time, Rafa started to rebuild.

The injuries that we, Liverpool, sufferred in Rafa's first season were horrendous. Both Carra & Baros were crippled at the Blackburn game (Souness was the manager- no reflection intended), Alonso with the break from Lumplard, Garcia, Smicer, Gerrard, etc, and more injuries were to come - highlighted by Djbril Cisse's horrific leg break. Doc Waller's treatment room could have produced it's own calander -

'The Plastercast Cast Of Liverpool FC' !

What a difference from the beginning of that Season to the achievement at the Ataturk Stadium, ey!

I know this is a long post, but bare with me for just a little longer.

Rafa, in his first season with Liverpool, got Ol'Big Ears to Keep! It had been a substantial number of years since we attained, or come any where near Bob Paisley's achievements - Rest In Peace dear man. In this Season, Rafa and the Team knock out Manure for the first time in the FA Cup since 1921! Absolutely ruddy unbelieveable!

The magnitude of this win should not be underestimated. I truly understand where Peter Crouch is coming from when he said that today's goal has to be the most important one of his career! Good on yer mate!

Rafa said,

"After 85 years to beat Manchester United is fantastic," enthused Benitez. "We need to enjoy this win with our supporters and we deserved it. Our supporters were fantastic and the team responded to them.

"For me team work was the key and we worked really hard all game. When you play against the top sides you need to play at a high tempo. We controlled the first half and scored a good goal and created some good chances.

"Manchester United didn't create clear cut chances and we defended well. We have a lot of confidence and it is really good for the team and the supporters." 

Too right, Rafa!

You did well today.....yes.

It's good to be Red!

Socrates

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2007, 10:09:57 am »
She wore a scarlet ribbon...

She wore, she wore, she wore a scarlet ribbon
she wore a scarlet ribbon in the merry month of May
and when I asked her why she wore that ribbon
she said it's for the kopites who are going to Wembley - Wembley - Wembley
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 10:13:37 am »
 ;D  :thumbup

:champ  :scarf

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 01:09:19 am »
We did well today!

:scarf :scarf

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 01:47:45 am »
You'll Never Walk Alone!  :scarf

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2007, 08:41:14 pm »
This is the Red And White Kop, RAWK, the dedicated and independent site for Liverpool FC supporters. Goodness knows that there are many other dedicated sites too.

As a kid collecting footy cards in the early 60's, Liverpool scarfs were Red & White, but Our Teams' kit has become predominantly more Red.

Basically, Red all over.

It could, however, be argued that the highlighting in graphical sponsorship, and the kit 'piping' detail is in fact in white.

Is there a conflict in being 'Red & White'  and 'The Reds'?

Or is the answer conducive?

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 3, 2007, 10:32:38 pm »
By the way, there is a sneak peak on the sight of the story of the original Red men on '300' ,

NB, check your media player and connection speed for best quality, you have to stop the run after a second or two to do this, as it is aimed at DivX quality click on the highest option, otherwise you will be watching on the size of a postage stamp! 

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

'There's no reason why we can't be civil!' Brill! ;D

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007, 01:03:16 am »
Do you remember the first time you got the Red shirt and put it on?

Socrates

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 01:58:21 am »
Do you remember the first time you got the Red shirt and put it on?
I remember when I was about 7 and my poor old mum (God rest her soul) who had to raise 8 of us on a pittance took me to the Army and navy store in Old Chester road in Rock ferry and bought me a red shirt with white trim.  She had to buy the old Liverbird badge that we had then which she had to sew on.  I remember putting that shirt on and feeling 10 feet tall..

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 02:27:20 am »
Apparently Peter Thompson's name was omitted from the above photo  ;)

Offline eryder

• Main Stander
  • The end of the match.
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007, 02:31:27 am »
Why was that do you think?
Billy Beane is not my lover

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 09:00:17 am »
oh.............keeeeeeeeeeeeee.........I though it was because neverton wore blue ::)

Oh Contraire !
early kits below
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007, 09:01:08 am »
Ours
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007, 09:42:14 am »
Because they looked bigger.   ;)

At the time we wore white sorts with a red stripe at the side, and white socks with a red trim.
The first player to model the red shorts was big Ron, and someone remarked(I think Ian St John, could be wrong) "With red socks we'd look even bigger".

Shouldn't this thread ask why we play in all red?  ;)

According to informed sources available at the time, Shanks apparantly had a triple agenda i.e make Big Ron look even bigger, distinguish ourselves from the Mancs and employ people from the 'Netherfield Road Co-operative' workers assocaiation to produce said LFC red shorts and get them purchased by LFC. It's all clearly documented in me arl fellas diary.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2007, 11:24:59 pm »
That's quite a contrast Wooly, nice one!  ;D   :wave

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2007, 10:19:00 am »
A very interesting highlight Dewey Finn!  :thumbup

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »
Although we did indeed first wear red against Anderlecht at the start of the 1964-65 season, the all-red strip was only used in cup competitions that season.  We were in all-red in that season's FA Cup final against Leeds.  However in league games we wore our usual red shirts with white trim, white shorts with red stripe at the side and white socks with red tops.  So it wasn't so much a Shankly brainwave to terrorise the opposition, it was in fact the first of our special kits, exactly mirroring the logic behind the CL shirts we wear for just that competition.

A very interesting point to consider mate!  ;)

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 6, 2007, 10:58:15 pm »
I remember when I was about 7 and my poor old mum (God rest her soul) who had to raise 8 of us on a pittance took me to the Army and navy store in Old Chester road in Rock ferry and bought me a red shirt with white trim.  She had to buy the old Liverbird badge that we had then which she had to sew on.  I remember putting that shirt on and feeling 10 feet tall..

Superb Terry!  :scarf

Socrates

Offline ˇBasta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 6, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »
Interviewer: So, Momo - Can you finally give an insight into why Liverpool play in red?

Momo:I don't like washing blood out of my shirt, the white adidas bits are to catch teeth and eyes.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline pompeyred

• lock up your bins
  • Anny Roader
  • NO PEACE TILL JUSTICE IS DONE JUSTICE FOR THE 97
« Reply #71 on: March 6, 2007, 11:27:21 pm »
kin hel, read that lot, i missed the game did we beat barca!
SOS Member #6283

Offline killianyoung01

• Kemlynite
« Reply #72 on: March 6, 2007, 11:29:31 pm »
shankly is a genius!!

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 8, 2007, 11:47:10 pm »
The Boy From Bootle.

The boy from Bootle,

He is not brutal

5'10, 12 st 4, dripping wet,

His tackles

Are crucial

Yet through Relentless

Onslaught

He still got forward

To get four goals!

So far....

A relentless defender

Of the cause

A tenacious warrior in Red!

The 28th of January, 1978,

Was a good year

For the Red wine for my men

In Red!

Amazing tackles!

Amazing leaps!

There is nothing

That the boy from Bootle

That's not done

For Keeps!

I'm not bothered

'bout international caps

As long as Jamie Carragher

Defends for us.....

To the last!

Oh, for a Team of Carraghers!

:scarf
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 12:31:46 am by Socratease »

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 9, 2007, 01:04:37 am »
'When I was a youngster in the 60's a certain film was on the cinema circuit, all of them have gone now, the 'Classic' and the 'ABC' chains of cinemas. In 1962  'The 300 Spartans',  directed by
Rudolph Maté, was released and - Wow! I was fascinated by ancient Greece! NB, the word 'ancient' is almost unique in breaking the rules of grammar, 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'. 

My point is that I was brought up in supporting Liverpool FC, every time I crossed the Mersey .....'

;)

Socrates

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 9, 2007, 01:33:41 am »
NB, the word 'ancient' is almost unique in breaking the rules of grammar, 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.  ;)

You really are quite prescient.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #76 on: March 9, 2007, 08:25:28 am »
You really are quite prescient.

That's sufficient.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 9, 2007, 09:43:00 am »
That's sufficient.

My mind has been going over this all night!

So far: glacier, racier, pacier, saucier

As for the colour red - The Delphic Oracle in my house tells me that red is the first colour the eye sees due to it having the longest wavelength - can anyone verify?
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 09:51:34 am by dnkw »

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 9, 2007, 06:51:29 pm »
I did wonder when that statement ('i' before 'e') would be challenged, dnkw!  ;D

Incidentally, the new '300' is on it's first day of general release today, it would be interesting to see people's responses to it.

Btw, a funny clip from Craig Ferguson,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSLcnZ0USz4

The first Red men in history!  :scarf

« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 08:44:17 pm by Socratease »

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 9, 2007, 11:32:39 pm »
18th February 2006 :

Well it took eighty-five years to do it, but we knocked out Old Trafford in the FA Cup!  ;D

If you think it was a long time since we won Ol'Big Ears (to keep!), today's achievement definately puts things into perspective, does'nt it?! That 90+ minutes today, wiped away 85 years of angst, and replaced it with pride!  :scarf

Rafael Benitez, at the helm of Liverpool in Istanbul, achieved a superlative success against AC Milan that drove us absolutely wild with joy! In our joy, the majority of posters achnowledged that AC Milan where more than worthy opponents, to succeed against such a competitor on the field of competition made the victory all the sweeter!  ;)

(A quick pointer to the previous match -) Against Arsenal, I sensed a belief from Our Team that they were gelled in their Teamwork. I have'nt seen Liverpool control a match on the pitch with such professionalism since the early eighties. They really did make Arsenal look lack lustre! Our midfield were superb, and we dominated the control of play. We out-classed Arsenal with dignity and prowess.

One game at a time, Rafael Benitez is building. He has been re-building since he joined us. When he began to rebuild when he first joined us, he had to do so with the non-acrimonious departure of Gerrard Houllier and eventually Thommo.

I do not ever doubt the passion that these two men gave to our Club, and still have. Without their hard work we would not have achieved the successes that we achieved in those years. Once, however, GH suffered his heart attack, and Phil had to shepherd the Team day in and week out, everybody on this forum wished GH the best of health. In fact he did come back to us, probably sooner than he should have done after such a major operation, such was his determination and passion for our Liverpool FC.

'Hou, Hou! Who let the Reds Out?!'

The cheers he got from the crowd when he returned were laudable when he returned to the touchline.

If GH, from a basic, to a well thought out appreciation, of the pressures and demands that were needed to advance Liverpool for the then next season are to be considered, it soon becomes clear that despite GH's protestations that he was'nt going any where, actually meant that we had aquired 'someone'. He was not Portugese, but Spanish. GH's departure from the club was emotional for a lot of people, despite mistakes highlighted, without the gains aquired and acknowledged, by some people.

Back to the point. Rafael Benitez actually inherited somebody else's Team. From his point of view he had to work with what was given to him - and start from scratch.
One game at a time, Rafa started to rebuild.

The injuries that we, Liverpool, sufferred in Rafa's first season were horrendous. Both Carra & Baros were crippled at the Blackburn game (Souness was the manager- no reflection intended), Alonso with the break from Lumplard, Garcia, Smicer, Gerrard, etc, and more injuries were to come - highlighted by Djbril Cisse's horrific leg break. Doc Waller's treatment room could have produced it's own calander -

'The Plastercast Cast Of Liverpool FC' !

What a difference from the beginning of that Season to the achievement at the Ataturk Stadium, ey!

I know this is a long post, but bare with me for just a little longer.

Rafa, in his first season with Liverpool, got Ol'Big Ears to Keep! It had been a substantial number of years since we attained, or come any where near Bob Paisley's achievements - Rest In Peace dear man. In this Season, Rafa and the Team knock out the Mancs for the first time in the FA Cup since 1921! Absolutely ruddy unbelieveable!

The magnitude of this win should not be underestimated. I truly understand where Peter Crouch is coming from when he said that today's goal has to be the most important one of his career! Good on yer mate!

Rafa said,

"After 85 years to beat Manchester United is fantastic," enthused Benitez. "We need to enjoy this win with our supporters and we deserved it. Our supporters were fantastic and the team responded to them.

"For me team work was the key and we worked really hard all game. When you play against the top sides you need to play at a high tempo. We controlled the first half and scored a good goal and created some good chances.

"Manchester United didn't create clear cut chances and we defended well. We have a lot of confidence and it is really good for the team and the supporters." 

Too right, Rafa!

You did well today.....yes.

It's good to be Red!

Why, do you think, Shankly have our players wear Red?

Socrates