Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Why Did Shankly Have Our Players Wear Red?  (Read 31927 times)

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
Re: Why Did Shankly Have Our Players Wear Red?
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2008, 11:10:56 pm »
True prose, Fat Scouser, I would not have us wear any other colour than Red, mate!

;)  :scarf

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2008, 11:19:54 pm »
What do you think?

Socrates

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:12 am »
This is a post by 1935Red about how things started for him in supporting the tricky Reds :-

~

My start has been posted several times, suffice to say it was during ww2 and the blackout was still in force.

As kids we played "togger" in the mean streets.., a lot of them cobbled, played glaggies in the gutters and our footy was often a golf ball, tennis ball and even a tin can. The row we made was awesome. One goal post was a lampost, complete with a bike tyre to swing on, the other was the walls of the houses. Tell you what! if you could dribble a golf ball or tennis ball on cobbles you were very good. Very very few cars about then, the doctor had a morris cowely, the police had rovers with a bell on the front. The streets were our fields  :)

Coalman had horse, baker a horse and cart and so too the milkman, where we got fresh milk from a large can. The reds v blue debates were friendlier than they are now, and we read the "back entry diddlers" in the Echo.
Who remembers them.?

The police horses used to frighten me, huge things and with a six foot scuffer on its back they were Massive. When the queues strayed into the road, with a click of his tongue the horse would use its great rump to nudge us back on the pavement. When I go to Anfield now they just seem to stand about, my grandsons are fascinated by their size and They have taken pictures of them.

The old kop with the rib crushing oak barriers,when I was a nipper the powerful dockers reeking of woodbine smoke and ale would lift me up and hold my ankles on the wide barriers. What price health and safety then.

A word "wird" has just popped into my noddle that I have not heard for 60+ years. Amazing, we used to call the Reds "the Anfielders" not used now is it.

Rock on Reds YNWA

Only just come across this. Cracking stuff.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2008, 12:26:40 am »
Only just come across this. Cracking stuff.

Thank you, yorkykopite, it is really appreciated mate. Unfortunately Ron (1935RED) passed away a couple/few weeks ago. On every day that it was a match day he would unfurl his Liverpool FC flag on his flag pole in Colchester ~ now his grandson dutifully performs his grandfather's ritual each match day!

I truly do miss the correspondence I had with Ron, as do many others.

YNWA 1935RED

:scarf

Socrates

Offline DRice

• and DPeas
  • Anny Roader
  • Free to fly the Crimson Sky
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2008, 12:37:32 am »
fucking hell thats one hell of a read and I skipped all paragraphs that held referneces to ancient times. the moral of the story seems to be roll on the red men though
Diego Maradona: "The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. You knew they could defend but the team showed they could play too and wrote a page in the history books. The match will last forever. "

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2008, 07:53:31 am »
To match Tommy Smith's eyes
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2008, 09:41:34 pm »
@FAT SCOUSER! ;D

Socrates

Offline adz174

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2008, 12:53:36 am »
LIV-ER-POOL
WALK ON

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: #SHANKLY100 Why Did Shankly Have Our Players Wear Red?
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
#SHANKLY100

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:42 pm »
Really enjoyed this thread Socratease. Thank you.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »
Goodness, gracious.

You staff have a wicked memory for old posts that needs to be bumped for #SHANKLY100 ;D

Again, luvverly stuff!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »
I think it was to make our players look bigger
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.